The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Guru

anyone interested in ethernet audio interfaces, they have breakout boxes too...system looks very cool and kind of makes all the other new usb c carry on redundant as you can simply get on using your ethernet instead..

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DGG-D

Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Remember, if you are getting the counterbores put in for the mounting screws, one of the panels has to be a mirror image of the one you printed.

Many thanks. I ordered a second set of Z-rails today. Gonna build the 6u for now.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I think the reason for this is something I picked up from a NAMM video Dieter Doepfer did, Dieter is a 100% Analog man and like mentioned earlier in the thread all thru-hole, he's doesn't do digital or code if he was going to do digital or code he'd have to bring a third party in to do that, I remember that A-157 sequencer he released he announced it about 3 NAMMs ago but it took this long to release cause he was depending on somebody else writing code, company's like Mutable instruments their modules are little computers with Arm microprocessor all surface mount components, Doepfer modules are never going to be small and feature packed like some of the competition however I suppose that reflects in the price.
That would make sense. Again, not an issue unless you're really desperate for hp from a size perspective.

While I stated that much of their stuff is a bit simple compared to other modules, they do have other modules that give you things you can't really get anywhere else. The PLL is pretty original, although NLC now does one as does WMD I believe. I haven't seen anyone offer the functionality of their precision adder as well.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

I want to buy Doepfer modules, but honestly, with the naming/numbering convention they use I usually forget about just which module I was salivating over. The indiscript naming of synth gear in general has always kind of bugged me ("I can't wait to get the 90210!!!"), but Doepfer takes it to the extreme. Calling something the "Supernova" is kind of lame, but at least I'll remember it better than "A-184-6" or whatever.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of Bitwig and use it exclusively. Version 2 is out soon and looks like it could be just the ticket for modular folk.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-capture.jpg  
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I'm a big fan of Bitwig and use it exclusively. Version 2 is out soon and looks like it could be just the ticket for modular folk.
Does it run well as sync slave?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I want to buy Doepfer modules, but honestly, with the naming/numbering convention they use I usually forget about just which module I was salivating over. The indiscript naming of synth gear in general has always kind of bugged me ("I can't wait to get the 90210!!!"), but Doepfer takes it to the extreme. Calling something the "Supernova" is kind of lame, but at least I'll remember it better than "A-184-6" or whatever.
I think that's core of the problem (if there is actually a problem - I have no idea how Doepfer sales are doing) - when researching a new VCA or whatever, I'm sure many of us trawl through old Muffs threads etc, and the Doepfer module names just don't stick in the brain as well as 'Veils', 'uVCA' etc. When it comes to ordering time, unless you have memorised or noted the module number an extra stage is required before getting to the 'Add to Cart' stage; you have to go away and find out the model number again. This may hurt their sales, dunno.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Does it run well as sync slave?
It can't run as a slave at all in 1, dunno about 2. I use Expert Sleepers though, works brilliantly in Bitwig, so have the DAW as the master at all times.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Doepfer makes good stuff. I've got three of their modules in my modular and a few more on the want list. I have no qualms using their stuff for utility-type functionality, although I've not heard a VCO from them that I consider worthy - that's a highly personal thing. (I do have the Wasp filter) The only "build issue" I've heard of with Doepfer is the Wasp filter ICs have a tendency to fry for no given reason. It's easy enough to swap out the ICs.
I received a Wasp filter this week which I've had to return as the bottom output was wonky. Random noise even with no input and touching the cable caused irregularities which seemed to indicate some form of lose connection.

But man oh man - when it was behaving it sounded wonderful and 70 quid from DV247 seems like a good deal. Replacement should arrive today.

Oh - and it was the special edition - so black with yellow knobs

Last edited by zobbo; 13th January 2017 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: special edition goodness added
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
I received a Wasp filter this week which I've had to return as the bottom output was wonky. Random noise even with no input and touching the cable caused irregularities which seemed to indicate some form of lose connection.

But man oh man - when it was behaving it sounded wonderful and 70 quid from DV247 seems like a good deal. Replacement should arrive today.

Oh - and it was the special edition - so black with yellow knobs
The A-124?
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The A-124?
Au contraire mon ami - the A-124SE
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want to buy Doepfer modules, but honestly, with the naming/numbering convention they use I usually forget about just which module I was salivating over.
Thats the reason why Modular Grid is so usefull to me. I dont bother to lern names at all.

Quote:
Did you realize that they are switching to a 12 month subscription model for 160 Euro per year?

Might be less of a problem for windows 7/8 owners as you dont need bitwig updates if you dont update windows.

It is however a huge problem for mac and win10 users with their permanent OS updates.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Thats the reason why Modular Grid is so usefull to me. I dont bother to lern names at all.

Did you realize that they are switching to a 12 month subscription model for 160 Euro per year?

Might be less of a problem for windows 7/8 owners as you dont need bitwig updates if you dont update windows.

It is however a huge problem for mac and win10 users with their permanent OS updates.
I didn't at the time of posting, but I do now. It's crap, hopefully they'll have a rethink.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty cool stuff if you have a DC-coupled interface. I don't and have no intention of switching from RME. But adding that to the DAW is a brilliant idea.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a rack on modulargrid with my "to buy" items on it. So when I find a Doepfer module that interests me, I just add it to that.

I've had so many times when I've read through threads and people say, take the A-135-5 to the A-161-2, then run everything through the A-120-5. I have absolutely no clue WTH they're talking about. Even if the modules they're talking about are modules I have. I have no idea the numbers of the Doepfer stuff I have.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Fraptools posted this on instagram with the following comment,
SAPÈL prototype is ready! A random source, clock generator, and more...
up to 8 different random CV, and 4 random clocks, with 4 noise sources... it's simply endless

Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a rack on modulargrid with my "to buy" items on it.
Good idea, think ill do that.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

The Voice Of Saturn demo by LavLab

It's a pretty wacky module. Check it out!
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Fraptools posted this on instagram with the following comment,
SAPÈL prototype is ready! A random source, clock generator, and more...
up to 8 different random CV, and 4 random clocks, with 4 noise sources... it's simply endless

Trying to understand the UI on that is like trying to wade through my ex-wife's shoe rack.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

just when you thought some of your wave folders etc sound too aggressive for your production,
03:55 onwards just pure distortion/saturation heaven
could easily be a 'Loquelic Iteritas' I've asked them on Facebook anyway.

Last edited by cane creek; 13th January 2017 at 04:08 PM..
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Did you realize that they are switching to a 12-month subscription model for 160 Euro per year?

Might be less of a problem for windows 7/8 owners as you don't need Bitwig updates if you don't update windows.

It is, however, a huge problem for mac and win10 users with their permanent OS updates.
Yes and no. It's not like most subscriptions like Adobe or Autodesk where you stop paying and lose the use of the software.

Quote:
Pretty cool stuff if you have a DC-coupled interface. I don't and have no intention of switching from RME. But adding that to the DAW is a brilliant idea.
I thought all the RME interfaces were DC coupled. That was an advertising point a few years ago.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Yes and no. It's not like most subscriptions like Adobe or Autodesk where you stop paying and lose the use of the software.

I thought all the RME interfaces were DC coupled. That was an advertising point a few years ago.
The more expensive ones do - at least I've read about DC-coupled headphone outs. Unfortunately, my measly little OG Babyface doesn't have DC-coupled headphone outs.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Addict
Going to officially start building my modular next week, VERY excited. Endless thanks to all of you that've been a great help. I'll buy used modules whenever possible to help save cash. Will keep you guys posted. My local shop is offering me a 9u Doepfer case w/ power for $599, which seems quite low, any idea which one it might be? I can't recall the name.

P.S. Would have a Phonogene, Erbe-Verb and Clouds all in one 9u case be kind of excessive? I really like them all.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Going to officially start building my modular next week, VERY excited. Endless thanks to all of you that've been a great help. I'll buy used modules whenever possible to help save cash. Will keep you guys posted. My local shop is offering me a 9u Doepfer case w/ power for $599, which seems quite low, any idea which one it might be? I can't recall the name.

P.S. Would have a Phonogene, Erbe-Verb and Clouds all in one 9u case be kind of excessive? I really like them all.
You could almost get two Mantis cases for that cost and have 4 rows of 104hp. And yes, that module set is a bit excessive. Clouds, with Parasite, can be a great delay and / or reverb. It really depends on what sound you're looking and what you're trying to do with your system though. You'll never have enough hp space for what you want, and those three take up a lot of space!
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post

Sounds like that might be the A-100P9. List price is $675 so if that's it, you got a bargain. Find out what model it is though because if that's the A-100-LC9 (the unfinished wood one),those are usually $460 and you're getting gouged.

As far as modular selection, can I be an asshole for a moment? I wouldn't get the Clouds as a first module. It's not an easy module to grasp for someone just starting in Euro and it's easy to get stuck making washy sounds with it because you find 'that' sweet spot and you never find the other stuff it's capable of. After you fill this case, THEN look into getting a Clouds. You'll have earned it by then and will probably have a better grasp on what you're doing.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a rack on modulargrid with my "to buy" items on it. So when I find a Doepfer module that interests me, I just add it to that.
Literally just thought of doing that yesterday but didn't do it yet. There are 5-6 modules I want to get and I keep forgetting about them. This seemed like a good idea.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

So next week's going to be a fun one as these trickle in: (I was soooooo naughty!)

The Nebulae is a replacement for the dud I got last week. Luckily stumbled on one that had just listed on eBay for the same price as the one I sent back.

The Circadian Rhythms is from that friend of mine that's been parting out that system he bought. He's been selling a lot of modules from that system, so I worked it out with him so I could get the Z-DSP and SMR before those were gone as well. The Alias-DVCO was in impulse buy. I have a soft spot for digital stuff in the first place, and I've yet to be impressed by an EMW module, so I snagged one. Only $109 for it.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So next week's going to be a fun one as these trickle in: (I was soooooo naughty!)

The Nebulae is a replacement for the dud I got last week. Luckily stumbled on one that had just listed on eBay for the same price as the one I sent back.

The Circadian Rhythms is from that friend of mine that's been parting out that system he bought. He's been selling a lot of modules from that system, so I worked it out with him so I could get the Z-DSP and SMR before those were gone as well. The Alias-DVCO was in impulse buy. I have a soft spot for digital stuff in the first place, and I've yet to be impressed by an EMW module, so I snagged one. Only $109 for it.
Just hope the CFO doesn't find out ...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

This looks a rather lean and do-able "want list",

I'm sure theres stuff I've missed

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search