The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Really loved the melody.
I just love dubstep.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not for me but another Quad...
The problem i see with all modcan multi-whatever modules is that they seem highly cryptic to understand.

I have this rule: if i cant understand how the module works or what it does just from looking at it and reading the labels. then maybe its not worth it.

Ok there are exceptions. like sequencers. then you have to pick up the manual sometimes.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Ah! I didn't know Dead Man's Catch did dual ADSR's. It was Peaks I was using to control the JP8 filter that just sounded lovely. It does sound really good, just something about it.

Standard Peaks firmware does dual ADSR.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I have been looking at this. Is this the only Quad ADSR option out there then?
you can get 4 triggered adsr on the Ornament and Crime, piqued app.
your choice of AD, ADSR, ADR, ASR, ADSAR, ADAR, plus a few other looping ones.
your choice of linear or exponential, trigger delay... all per channel settings... it's really the best...
read through the Piqued section
ornament & crime
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Standard Peaks firmware does dual ADSR.
In split mode they are AD's not ADSR and in normal mode you just get two outs from one ADSR. I think you are right Dead Man's is no different.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

or just get dual adsrs like studio electronics or intellijel. good overview on those to see whats going on.
Old 15th July 2017
Quote:
Sorry but I could not resist. Again with the vid embedded.
No more mushrooms for him.....
Nice bug fartz.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
you can get 4 triggered adsr on the Ornament and Crime, piqued app.
your choice of AD, ADSR, ADR, ASR, ADSAR, ADAR, plus a few other looping ones.
your choice of linear or exponential, trigger delay... all per channel settings... it's really the best...
read through the Piqued section
ornament & crime
I'll keep my eye out for one. Octocontroller and Ornament n Crime sounds like a good combination.
Old 15th July 2017
Anyone ever use a power inverter to power their modular? Having fantasies of leaving the house with my case soon to make some videos. I'd be using a deep cycle marine battery which are quite good for this purpose and a pure sine wave inverter that i haven't gotten yet. I'm wondering if there's any issues considering the sensitive nature of modular equipment when it comes to voltage, and also about calculating the wattage needs for picking the right inverter.
Modulargrid says this about my case-
Power Consumption: 3082 mA +12V | 1508 mA -12V | 200 mA 5V
But I am unsure how that translates since it goes to 110v inside the PSU. Sounds like a lot either way to my barbarian brain, is it even viable?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In split mode they are AD's not ADSR and in normal mode you just get two outs from one ADSR. I think you are right Dead Man's is no different.
But then there's expert mode - hold down the mode button, press again to change channels. It does single flashes to tell you you're in chan 1, double for chan 2.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But then there's expert mode - hold down the mode button, press again to change channels. It does single flashes to tell you you're in chan 1, double for chan 2.
If they are independent ADSR envelopes how do you use the controls? It would reset to the position the knob is at when you change the channel? Anyway sounds good in concept, I shall see how it works.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Anyone ever use a power inverter to power their modular? Having fantasies of leaving the house with my case soon to make some videos. I'd be using a deep cycle marine battery which are quite good for this purpose and a pure sine wave inverter that i haven't gotten yet. I'm wondering if there's any issues considering the sensitive nature of modular equipment when it comes to voltage, and also about calculating the wattage needs for picking the right inverter.
But I am unsure how that translates since it goes to 110v inside the PSU. Sounds like a lot either way to my barbarian brain, is it even viable?
You should be fine, as long as you have the Ah for it in your battery. I do astrophotography every now and then and use a similar setup with a big 108Ah battery.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
you probably want to look into li-ion batteries. more specifically type 18650, the industry standard. Power density is about 10x or so compared to car/boat batteries. or maybe RC lipos.

a 1kwh 18650 battery (about 100 18650s) will cost you about 7-8-900€ or so.
for quality cells (panasonic/samsung/sanyo/sony etc).

look into electric bike batteries.

also it would be best to simply convert down and regulate to 12v, and skip the conversion from dc to ac and then back to dc. its idiocracy
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
The problem i see with all modcan multi-whatever modules is that they seem highly cryptic to understand.
I find the modcan super straight forward to understand.
edit 1,2,3,4 sets the envelope that you're editing.
the other knobs will edit that envelope. They're either in catchup or jump mode. but what else is there to understand?

the problem modcan modules is how impossible they are to obtain.
Old 15th July 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Circuit Abbey Unify is a quality piece if all you need is one stereo output.
Unify IS pretty spiffy, with some advantages over the Mutamix for using it at the end of the signal chain. Good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Unify is an excellent mixer! And then no matter what mixer SRT uses, just patching the mixer output into a buffered multiple will allow distribution of copies of the mix to various places. The Division6 Multiplicity VI is a nice one in only 2 hp.
Ahha, a buffered multi used as a 1 to 3 splitter. The thought never occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. I have two 4MS buffered multi's that should do the job. Appreciate the tip!
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

i have a modcan multimode.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they are independent ADSR envelopes how do you use the controls? It would reset to the position the knob is at when you change the channel? Anyway sounds good in concept, I shall see how it works.
The envelope doesn't change when you change channels, but the knobs probably won't reflect what it's doing.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

I just got my first row back together and powered up and am now thinking I would like to run this separately for portability and connect the other row as and when I want it. They could also be separate synths in their own right. I am thinking I will get another uZeus for the second and a splitter cable so I can power both from one PSU. I just saw a thread on this, has anyone tried it? I have a Tip Top 3amp PSU and the current rating on modulargrid is 1500ma so in theory it should be fine.

Power supply for multiple uZeus
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto...66aee0c36f4eb2

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Pack-.../dp/B00UW82TRM
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170715_231404.jpg  
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can also simultaneously use different functions in split expert mode. Found this recently when I put one channel as an ADSR, and the other channel for drums. I have twin Peaks, and could easily use two more for all it gives you.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Speaking of quads, is there anyone else out there with this on their radar? It uses CEM3340 chips. I'm thinking about getting two of them to use as the foundation for a four-voice modular OB-Xa or Prophet-5.

Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
You can also simultaneously use different functions in split expert mode. Found this recently when I put one channel as an ADSR, and the other channel for drums. I have twin Peaks, and could easily use two more for all it gives you.
Yeah, it's super flexible little thing. I just bought a Quadra and i had to talk myself out of buying another Peaks.
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
I've watched at it. WOW, he's full of comments.
Anyone's trying to show him there is also a gain control
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Speaking of quads, is there anyone else out there with this on their radar? It uses CEM3340 chips. I'm thinking about getting two of them to use as the foundation for a four-voice modular OB-Xa or Prophet-5.

not out yet, in April it was announced to be released by end of summer?
yet they've done a 2nd prototype and now last month they did more mods and have a 3rd prototype
Homepage englisch
with that in mind it's probably gotten delayed.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, it's not out yet. Soon, I hope...
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone have the Intellijel Shapeshifter? I'm interested in buying more multifunction modules so I can do more with just few modules and this one seems an interesting and feature capable one. I was interested in the Atlantis and Hertz Donut. Interested how this would compare to Braids as well. From the forum below there is mention of not liking the sound, and not being so easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkSnnc9tNJg&t=1198s

Was reading this thread
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi....php?p=1822835

Last edited by Reptil; 16th July 2017 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: -
Old 16th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

I really liked the A-111 (the first one) so if this is anything like that, it's a winner.
I do have the A-143-4 but that's a different character oscillator (triangle core), which is nice.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone have the Intellijel Shapeshifter? I'm interested in buying more multifunction modules so I can do more with just few modules and this one seems an interesting and feature capable one. I was interested in the Atlantis before but this seems better. Interested how this would compare to Braids as well.

Was reading this thread
Once you start getting up to that price point and size, you should seriously start considering an ER-301. That thing is the ultimate, do everything module and definitely worth the lead time wait.
Old 16th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Does anyone have the Intellijel Shapeshifter? I'm interested in buying more multifunction modules so I can do more with just few modules and this one seems an interesting and feature capable one. I was interested in the Atlantis and Hertz Donut. Interested how this would compare to Braids as well. From the forum below there is mention of not liking the sound, and not being so easy to use.

Was reading this thread
Shapeshifter here. It's IMO not that difficult to use. Obviously you won't get the modular knob-per-function workflow, but the basic operation is simple and you can go deeper at will.

It's got a massive amount of possibilities. I find that many of the features tend towards more aggressive sounds, but there's a lot of pretty tones to be had, too. I did see a rubicon vs. Shapeshifter tone comparison and I liked the Rubicon better, but comparing it like-for-like has its problems. For instance, the designer recommend using 'tilt' (similar to saturation/distortion) to get closer to analog tones. So maybe there's ways to get closer to analog.

Plus, and this is going to be fighting words for purists, it has presets. loved that when I played a small gig recently.
Old 16th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Shapeshifter here. It's IMO not that difficult to use. Obviously you won't get the modular knob-per-function workflow, but the basic operation is simple and you can go deeper at will.

It's got a massive amount of possibilities. I find that many of the features tend towards more aggressive sounds, but there's a lot of pretty tones to be had, too. I did see a rubicon vs. Shapeshifter tone comparison and I liked the Rubicon better, but comparing it like-for-like has its problems. For instance, the designer recommend using 'tilt' (similar to saturation/distortion) to get closer to analog tones. So maybe there's ways to get closer to analog.

Plus, and this is going to be fighting words for purists, it has presets. loved that when I played a small gig recently.
Meh at purists. I say their square wave is a preset.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Yet another Sunday Morning Jam session. Started as playing with the BIA and the Voltage Block. This one uses just about everything in my racks.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search