The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
what does the chord organ do? does it send out 3/more pitch cvs or is it 3 oscs?
ImNotDeadYet answered already but yea... its more restricted / self contained. More like a sample player, which makes sense given that its just an alt firmware for Music thing Modular's Radio Music. But I still found it appealing for just getting some harmonic structure in place to then riff on.

Some vids:

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah I can use Rings as a chord machine by sending precise cv to the Structure input. The z8000 makes it super easy to make a 4-note sequence and then use the next row for the chord cv, then use the next 2 rows to make a complimentary part with the same setup of note and cv but different settings. Plug them both into the sequential switch (that I don't own yet but will soon).and I can have any combo of the 2 progressions by manipulating the Direction and Reset inputs of the Z800 rows. Then I use the 16-step sequencers (clocked differently from the Rings rows) to drive notes and cv for Briads. Output of sequential switch into V/octave input of uScale (set shift for diatonic and to shift "b" only) sends "A" to Rings and "B" to Braids and BAM! Instant random music in any scale I can dream up, and it actually sounds musical with careful thought put into the Reset and Direction settings...it's working the way i thought it would...I'm 2 sequencers and a few utilities and effects away from done...

Here's the vid. Just brilliant, I am going to watch all of this guy's videos. He explains ever step in total detail, and I got ideas and tips for other modules besides the quantizer, which seems to always happen in the really good tutorials...
That guys vid's are great, he helped me start to get my head around maths more (as did mylarmelodies) posts here on GS.

I have to read your workflow description above again more slowly but its sounds really interesting!
Old 13th July 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 46 today
Happy Birthday!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

I found this Maths tutorial easy to understand (by the same guy above). Now I get what I can do with it.

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
If you want to trigger sounds on the cheap, a Roland TM-2 drum/sample module and a couple of these adapters (with 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapters) and a eurorack sequencer of your choice works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously you don't really have CV control over your samples, but the main thing for me was getting the weird, random sequencing you can do in modular. I usually pair it up with Mutable Instruments Branches receiving a trigger or two from the Batumi.
FYI ... The Ladik modules run about $80.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 46 today, and I'm pretty sure the one about old people is true. Remember, most stereotypes have at least some basis in reality.
Happy Birthday buddy!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 46 today, and I'm pretty sure the one about old people is true. Remember, most stereotypes have at least some basis in reality.
46 old? It's the new older young Happy Birthday!
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
FYI ... The Ladik modules run about $80.
Hadn't seen those, certainly looks handy for a sample module. I already had picked up the TM-2 to use with my Machinedrum, but it's handy with the modular without costing HP or power, and only $200 (or less used), so I threw it out there as an option.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

HBSH
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I don't have a RCD but my QCD which I would suspect has the same clock innards basically is 1 ppqn. Meaning that if I send it a clock at 100BPM, /2 will be 50, x2 will be 200 etc. I had to go into the BSP midi editor and change it from 24 to 1 so it wasn't crazy fast. Too bad it can't be set to read higher ppqn clocks as they are more accurate.
Yeah, if I feed the RCD 1, the /1 output pulses in time with the 'beat' light on my Octocontroller, which is being fed 24 ppqn (and can be configured for that).
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where the heck is @Derp?
His modular has got so big its blocked off the door and the poor soul is trapped in there.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

I've recently discovered the wonders of using ADSR on the filter cutting the bass/hi frequency/resonance in and out. I had tried this before but just playing last week it worked wonderfully. Now I want more envelopes! I'm getting the Octocontroller and I thought, why doesn't this also do envelopes? Is this an oversight? It does a lot of other stuff: LFO's, Arpeggios, Sample n hold so why not envelopes? My consideration now is a Doepfer quad ADSR. Other options?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've recently discovered the wonders of using ADSR on the filter cutting the bass/hi frequency/resonance in and out. I had tried this before but just playing last week it worked wonderfully. Now I want more envelopes! I'm getting the Octocontroller and I thought, why doesn't this also do envelopes? Is this an oversight? It does a lot of other stuff: LFO's, Arpeggios, Sample n hold so why not envelopes? My consideration now is a Doepfer quad ADSR. Other options?
you want more envelopes:
pams new workout. O_c. intellijel quadra.
Old 15th July 2017
Quote:
Get clever with your reset times and offsets to get envelop-like behavior out of the Octo. Otherwise get a quadra or the WMD asdrvca is quite good as well. I think I might end up with 2 quadras...
Old 15th July 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
I am considering an Intellijel Mutamix for a Eurorack audio mixer. My primary need is to simultaneously distribute one or more inputs to multiple outputs. A typical usage example is sending a few oscillators to two different filters with a stereo split.

Any other mixers worth considering within a similar size? Not looking for a huge HP mixer.

Thanks.
Old 15th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I am considering an Intellijel Mutamix for a Eurorack audio mixer. My primary need is to simultaneously distribute one or more inputs to multiple outputs. A typical usage example is sending a few oscillators to two different filters with a stereo split.

Any other mixers worth considering within a similar size? Not looking for a huge HP mixer.

Thanks.
Circuit Abbey Unify is a quality piece if all you need is one stereo output.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Circuit Abbey Unify is a quality piece if all you need is one stereo output.
Unify is an excellent mixer! And then no matter what mixer SRT uses, just patching the mixer output into a buffered multiple will allow distribution of copies of the mix to various places. The Division6 Multiplicity VI is a nice one in only 2 hp.
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have Peaks, but use it more for the drums and LFO to be honest since I have the new Pam. But, I really want Contour, also Quad.....
I have to wait for a while though since I still have no Batumi
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The stepper acid really looks like it might be a good choice.
Now on my third day with the Stepper Acid and loving it more and more. It's a perfect mix between predictability and experimentation. So far, I've not felt a need to save sequences and chain them together for variety, it's so good in live mode. Having that little keyboard with manual triggers is SO excellent. It's precise enough to improvise with conscious melodic choices, but at the same time, allow for happy accidents.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
you want more envelopes:
pams new workout. O_c. intellijel quadra.
The quadra is a nice one but just from using Peaks in dual mode I prefer the sound and control of full ADSR than AD. I guess AD and other shapes, as on the WMD multimode envelope, have their place but have yet to realise this. ADSR is just what I like to use at the moment.

https://www.wmdevices.com/products/multimode-envelope
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
As other have pointed out, you can fake some linear envelopes with an Octocontroller, but you're tied to them repeating at whatever cycle they're associated with. With a Doepfer A-155, you could get a little more control, but that's starting to get crazy.

Quadra is really nice for a compact, 4 channel envelope generatos, especially with the expander. With Dead Man's Catch, you get Peaks to do duals ADSR's.

Finally, if space were unlimited, and I were in need of a really cool EG, I'd take a hard look at the Erica Synths Black VC EG & Expander. That thing looks amazing.

Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The quadra is a nice one but just from using Peaks in dual mode I prefer the sound and control of full ADSR than AD.
then Doepfer A-143-2

I've got one and it's pretty great, love the End of cycle triggers. lets me cascade envelopes for deeper modulation
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
As other have pointed out, you can fake some linear envelopes with an Octocontroller, but you're tied to them repeating at whatever cycle they're associated with. With a Doepfer A-155, you could get a little more control, but that's starting to get crazy.

Quadra is really nice for a compact, 4 channel envelope generatos, especially with the expander. With Dead Man's Catch, you get Peaks to do duals ADSR's.

Finally, if space were unlimited, and I were in need of a really cool EG, I'd take a hard look at the Erica Synths Black VC EG & Expander. That thing looks amazing.

Standard Peaks firmware does dual ADSR.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
then Doepfer A-143-2

I've got one and it's pretty great, love the End of cycle triggers. lets me cascade envelopes for deeper modulation
Yes, I have been looking at this. Is this the only Quad ADSR option out there then?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ah! I didn't know Dead Man's Catch did dual ADSR's. It was Peaks I was using to control the JP8 filter that just sounded lovely. It does sound really good, just something about it.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

I Have been re-configuring and think this will work well now. I want everything in the first two 126hp rows then I might build something with the 3rd 110hp row; either a sub rack or a separate little synth in it's own right. The Theta is going when I get the Octatrack and will see if I can push out another couple of things. The Quad VCA/mixer and VCADSR take up a lot of room so I'll look for some smaller modules to replace them. I am considering trying out the Z3000's to see how they compare to the Pittburgh's or maybe something like the Shapeshifter or Sputnik would be a good replacement Shapeshifter anyone? And getting the new Pam's would be an obvious improvement. The Quad ADSR is on the big side, maybe all I need is another peaks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170715_190316.jpg  
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, I have been looking at this.
I found myself in a similar boat and got a Malekko AD/LFO. Is six channels of A/D, which can also loop. There're also sum channels of each three channels for more complex envelopes. It's kind of a power-hog with all those LEDs, but I like it well. Between it, Maths and my two ADSRs I'm up to ten envelopes, which means I have to really work to run out.
Old 15th July 2017
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, I have been looking at this. Is this the only Quad ADSR option out there then?
Not for me but another Quad...
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Sorry but I could not resist. Again with the vid embedded.
No more mushrooms for him.....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search