The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
it sure is a weird thread. I never realized how many people had a negative opinion of modular. But it won't sway me into abandoning modular.

yet your talk of selling - it's reminded me that I have a 6Ux84hp low cost doepfer case that I've taken the busboards and power supply out of. All that's left is a wood box and rails. I should sell that. I don't even know what I should ask for it
any ideas? 100$?
burn it at the stake!!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
If you have the time also try out a metropolis, its so fukn awesome. You can basically set stuff up completely random and it spits out something good!
I was really surprised how cool sequeces it produces.
Metropolis does looks like a fantastic sequencer. I might get one after selling my Dark Time which I'm not using so much now since getting a second A-155.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
it sure is a weird thread. I never realized how many people had a negative opinion of modular. But it won't sway me into abandoning modular.

yet your talk of selling - it's reminded me that I have a 6Ux84hp low cost doepfer case that I've taken the busboards and power supply out of. All that's left is a wood box and rails. I should sell that. I don't even know what I should ask for it
any ideas? 100$?
That sounds like a fair price, but it could be a hard sell without the electronics.

About that thread... I have to admit I found it a little depressing. Modular is so misunderstood by some people. I guess it's just one of those things: you either get it, or you don't.

It's like the funk. You either got it, or you ain't.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Modular is so misunderstood by some people.
people are afraid of what they dont understand.

I didnt understand how synths worked either before i got mine. But as soon as i heard the sounds they could make i knew i had to have one. It was my first synth.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

no big expectations for Summer NAMM
but eventide delay module should be out come august
https://www.gearnews.com/summer-namm...dule-eurorack/

Old 13th July 2017
So I have been jamming with my Z8000 a few days now and I really love it. Very simple to use and really easy to integrate into my existing setup the way i thought. It has made me realize something though. I don't want everything to be random. I still need one "anchor" part to jam around, something to glue the rest of it together. In light of this revelation I am ditching the 3-voice chord idea (been loving Rings for chords lately anyway) and adding another sequencer...The stepper acid really looks like it might be a good choice. I only need one channel for this one but it needs to save and song mode wouldn't hurt for some ideas. Maybe I could use the accent out to trigger the Doepfer sequential switch to make corresponding changes? Hmm...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
It gets a little more cohesive with every purchase. With this setup I don't need the ADDAC quantizer anymore. The Z8000 needed quantization to sound like anything other than bug fartz, so I dug into youtube and found a tutorial on how to use my uScaleII. The manual for that thing is just...special...so i never really understood the deeper functions until watching that video. I can run two separate voices with the Z8000 going into the uScale, it's brilliant. Now I am going to keep the uScale because it's way better than I thought- Sorry @BenDayho!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

the stepper is really hands on. what you see is what you get kinda. I highly recommend it. its really easy and fast to get what you want going with it.

On the other hand the metro is more experimental and you dont know exactly what will come out of it until you let the sequence run.

an sq1 isnt bad either. highly controllable and simple to use. high bang for buck ratio. i use mine with the karp now.

there are good vids of the stepper on the tube, by the makers.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So I have been jamming with my a few days now and I really love it. Very simple to use and really easy to integrate into my existing setup the way i thought. It has made me realize something though. I don't want everything to be random. I still need one "anchor" part to jam around, something to glue the rest of it together. In light of this revelation I am ditching the 3-voice chord idea (been loving Rings for chords lately anyway) and adding another sequencer...The stepper acid really looks like it might be a good choice. I only need one channel for this one but it needs to save and song mode wouldn't hurt for some ideas. Maybe I could use the accent out to trigger the Doepfer sequential switch to make corresponding changes? Hmm...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
It gets a little more cohesive with every purchase. With this setup I don't need the ADDAC quantizer anymore. The Z8000 needed quantization to sound like anything other than bug fartz, so I dug into youtube and found a tutorial on how to use my uScaleII. The manual for that thing is just...special...so i never really understood the deeper functions until watching that video. I can run two separate voices with the Z8000 going into the uScale, it's brilliant. Now I am going to keep the uScale because it's way better than I thought- Sorry @BenDayho!
Hah, no worries! They're not hard to come by.

I've got a chord organ on the way, while not the same as full on polyphony It seems like a good, diy, low hp way to get housey, dubby chords in a system, especially through a nice filter. And the customization of the intervals via the txt file on the sd card is kind of cool, I think.

anyhoo.. glad your live machine is progressing.

which uscale vid?
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

what does the chord organ do? does it send out 3/more pitch cvs or is it 3 oscs?
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

btw what do you guys use for drums?

Do you do the whole modular drum thing or a separate box?

I have the tr8 and I wonder if its even worth it to "upgrade" from it. I mean its like, i dont know, maybe 2 grands to get what the tr8 does in modular. need a case, need a seq, need the sounds and so on. I'm not very tempted at this stage. but I wanted to know if some people think its worth it for the sound?
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

slaughtrhaus - one tip with the z8000 is I find I almost always have to run it into an attenuator before the quantizer, otherwise the range on the knobs is way too much.

I originally bought it as a melodic sequencer - and bought an O_c since I needed a quantizer for it. I now mostly use them for totally different things. The z8k is great for CV sequences or using a trigger to step through fixed voltages. It's also great as a fixed voltage source - a couple of extra knobs for controlling the O_c and other things.
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
slaughtrhaus - one tip with the z8000 is I find I almost always have to run it into an attenuator before the quantizer, otherwise the range on the knobs is way too much.

I originally bought it as a melodic sequencer - and bought an O_c since I needed a quantizer for it. I now mostly use them for totally different things. The z8k is great for CV sequences or using a trigger to step through fixed voltages. It's also great as a fixed voltage source - a couple of extra knobs for controlling the O_c and other things.
Dude thanks for reminding me. The knobs are way sensitive. I have the MKII version which has range switches on the back. No attenuation necessary luckily but thanks for the tip all the same. Just today I was getting frustrated by the insane range.
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:

I have the tr8 and I wonder if its even worth it to "upgrade" from it. I mean its like, i dont know, maybe 2 grands to get what the tr8 does in modular. need a case, need a seq, need the sounds and so on. I'm not very tempted at this stage. but I wanted to know if some people think its worth it for the sound?
It depends what importance you put on custom made drums.
For most people, processing a drum machine is going to be fine.
For me, I've built a section of my modular as percussive tool kit.
I also make drum samples professionally, so it makes some financial sense.
Erica Pico Drum module is great, as you can drop your own samples on to it and layer them or process them within the modular. I imagine the Tip Top One would be similar. Pico Drum is super easy to use. Likewise, the Pico Trigger is very powerful and very easy to program.
I'm using the JoMox Modbase 09 as a basis of many kicks. It is incredibly powerful and has up to 100 very usable presets.
Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas is just an amazing source of hundreds of percussive sounds. I've got great kicks, also great hi-hats from it. I'm probably going to get the Alter version as it does even more.
EMW Digi-Drum has a bunch of great and very usable drum samples on board.
Also handy to have noise modules. I have SSF Quantum Rainbow and Erica Black Digital Noise.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
About that thread... I have to admit I found it a little depressing. Modular is so misunderstood by some people. I guess it's just one of those things: you either get it, or you don't.
Quote:
people are afraid of what they dont understand.
I'm guessing the vast majority of "haters" in those threads misunderstand modular, but there are also some others that get it and just prefer fixed architecture stuff. To each their own. Modular isn't for everyone, and that's fine.

Quote:
So I have been jamming with my Z8000 a few days now and I really love it. Very simple to use and really easy to integrate into my existing setup the way i thought. It has made me realize something though. I don't want everything to be random. I still need one "anchor" part to jam around, something to glue the rest of it together. In light of this revelation I am ditching the 3-voice chord idea (been loving Rings for chords lately anyway) and adding another sequencer...The stepper acid really looks like it might be a good choice. I only need one channel for this one but it needs to save and song mode wouldn't hurt for some ideas. Maybe I could use the accent out to trigger the Doepfer sequential switch to make corresponding changes? Hmm...
Stepper Acid would fit in nicely IMO. One of the greatest things about the stepper acid is the song mode and the ability to modify on the fly without affecting what's playing.

Quote:
what does the chord organ do? does it send out 3/more pitch cvs or is it 3 oscs?
It sends out "chords" - a polyphonic organ voice that plays a chord. You can specify what chords you want available, then specify the waveform for the organ.

Quote:

I have Delptronics LDB 2, Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and Neuron for drum-specific stuff. But I also like making drum sounds with non drum modules. Pinging high res filters is fun and can produce some nice sounds.

My drum modules are mixed in with all my other modules, for the most part.

I personally wouldn't "upgrade" from the tr8 to modules that did 808 and 909 type sounds. I'd rather look for things that did non-808/909 sounds. You can always add the TR-8 if you want those sounds anyway. You're not going to get _much better_ sounds by spending lots on modules to replace that functionality.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Show of hands who plans to sell their modulars after this last modular-hate thread? No one?
I'm determined to stay out of that hot mess. I mean someone makes a thread about why people don't want to go modular and then expect modular users to somehow prove that all modulars aren't just $10,000 house sized artisinal hipster trust fund toys that can only make armpit noises? There's hours and hours of incredible music online being made with modulars, even by people just in this thread, let alone the top tier producers but if they want me to point them to it they're going to have to come to me. I'm not going to spend any time sharing that stuff in a thread full of sh1t posting.

Anyhow that's an awesome sketch.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

After spending the week trying to build a nice glitch drum patch on the ER-301 (which actually came out quite nice), I decided to splurge and pick up a Basimilus Iteritas Alter. It should be fun, but now I need a decent sequencer to pair with it. The obvious answer would be to pair it with a Voltage Block, but trying to fit another 20hp in the the 12u performance case means making a few too many sacrifices for my tastes. Anyone have a recommendation for a good, multi-channel, stored voltage sequencer at less that 20hp? I've tried going through Modular Grid, but I'm not really seeing anything that would make a good alternative.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you're into big earthshaking kick drums you should check the SSF Entity kick. It's worth every penny. I have a small drum rack with that and some tiptop modules including their sampler module One. I often run the tiptops through an Optomix to do some transient/tonal shaping. LPGs can make almost anything into a drum sound. I also have Dinky's Taiko which is a fun percussion noise maker.

Before this I used sampled drums for as long as I can remember and if I was on a tighter budget I would still. But I've really grown to love how each hit sounds slightly different with analog drums, especially through an LPG. That and I've got all those trigger outs on the BSP that just scream modular drums. It's been a while since I posted a shot of my rig I'll try to remember to do that.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Personally, I use external drums triggered from the Euro ... An Analog Rytm sequenced mainly by Grids going through a Ladik M-216. I'll program the kick and snare on the AR and then have Grids handle all the other parts to get the modulated variations. You'll hear an example of that approach on just about everything I've posted in the last 3 months. I'll even bring sounds out of the AR back into the rack, i.e. Kick into Streams to trigger side chaining. Keep in mind that the Ladik M-216 is very specific to the AR. If you ever go that route, Ladik makes a bunch of trigger to MIDI modules designed for different drum machine MIDI implementations. You'll need to find the right one for the TR8.
Old 13th July 2017
Where the heck is @Derp?
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm determined to stay out of that hot mess. I mean someone makes a thread about why people don't want to go modular and then expect modular users to somehow prove that all modulars aren't just $10,000 house sized artisinal hipster trust fund toys that can only make armpit noises? There's hours and hours of incredible music online being made with modulars, even by people just in this thread, let alone the top tier producers but if they want me to point them to it they're going to have to come to me. I'm not going to spend any time sharing that stuff in a thread full of sh1t posting.
An intelligent discussion about some of the downsides of modular (eg expense, cable spaghetti, complexity, etc) is fine, but stupid comments like “it’s all bug noise” or “only old dudes are into modular” or “people only buy it so they can brag on forums” are just plain… well, stupid. They don’t even make me defensive, they’re so wrong. I’ve decided that from now on when someone makes idiotic comments like that I’m just going to agree with them. “Yes, all modular music is bug noise. Yes, only old dudes are into modular. Yes, guys only buy it so they can brag on forums.” In fact, I think this is what we should all do: just agree with those bozos and keep the community cool!
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Hah, no worries! They're not hard to come by.

I've got a chord organ on the way, while not the same as full on polyphony It seems like a good, diy, low hp way to get housey, dubby chords in a system, especially through a nice filter. And the customization of the intervals via the txt file on the sd card is kind of cool, I think.

anyhoo.. glad your live machine is progressing.

which uscale vid?
Yeah I can use Rings as a chord machine by sending precise cv to the Structure input. The z8000 makes it super easy to make a 4-note sequence and then use the next row for the chord cv, then use the next 2 rows to make a complimentary part with the same setup of note and cv but different settings. Plug them both into the sequential switch (that I don't own yet but will soon).and I can have any combo of the 2 progressions by manipulating the Direction and Reset inputs of the Z800 rows. Then I use the 16-step sequencers (clocked differently from the Rings rows) to drive notes and cv for Briads. Output of sequential switch into V/octave input of uScale (set shift for diatonic and to shift "b" only) sends "A" to Rings and "B" to Braids and BAM! Instant random music in any scale I can dream up, and it actually sounds musical with careful thought put into the Reset and Direction settings...it's working the way i thought it would...I'm 2 sequencers and a few utilities and effects away from done...

Here's the vid. Just brilliant, I am going to watch all of this guy's videos. He explains ever step in total detail, and I got ideas and tips for other modules besides the quantizer, which seems to always happen in the really good tutorials...
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you want to trigger sounds on the cheap, a Roland TM-2 drum/sample module and a couple of these adapters (with 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapters) and a eurorack sequencer of your choice works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously you don't really have CV control over your samples, but the main thing for me was getting the weird, random sequencing you can do in modular. I usually pair it up with Mutable Instruments Branches receiving a trigger or two from the Batumi.
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:
An intelligent discussion about some of the downsides of modular (eg expense, cable spaghetti, complexity, etc) is fine, but stupid comments like “it’s all bug noise” or “only old dudes are into modular” or “people only buy it so they can brag on forums” are just plain… well, stupid. They don’t even make me defensive, they’re so wrong. I’ve decided that from now on when someone makes idiotic comments like that I’m just going to agree with them. “Yes, all modular music is bug noise. Yes, only old dudes are into modular. Yes, guys only buy it so they can brag on forums.” In fact, I think this is what we should all do: just agree with those bozos and keep the community cool!
I'm 46 today, and I'm pretty sure the one about old people is true. Remember, most stereotypes have at least some basis in reality.

I would be guessing here, but i would definitely think that modular is rarely a "first" instrument. As the old farts that most of us are, we have histories. Mine includes touring with rock bands in the 90's and early 00's playing bass, guitar, keys, and singing. I got into synthesis about 8 years ago as a hobby (after playing many synths in bands for years without ever caring "how" it worked just "if") and got into modular when I realized the instrument I wanted to play didn't exist but there was in fact a portal through which i could at least approximate it. 3 years later through much trial and error i am almost there, and happily I have purged myself of all vintage collectible dinosaurs...that I actually still only owned as museum pieces and of course for forum bragging rights. Point being I bet most of us have stories like this that reveal age and experience. This differentiates us from most of the other members of the EM forum IMO, virtually no trolling in this thread, ever. Let's hear it for bearded old farts who care what forum people think so much they spend their lives buying and selling modules!!! Kudos to all of us!!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if there's a 'standard' clock ppqn in modular world? My RCD is going awfully fast at 24. I can send out multiple clocks at whatever I want from Bitwig, so it doesn't really matter. Just curious!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Does anyone know if there's a 'standard' clock ppqn in modular world? My RCD is going awfully fast at 24. I can send out multiple clocks at whatever I want from Bitwig, so it doesn't really matter. Just curious!
No real standard. It's usually 24ppqn or 4ppqn. I don't have one but suspect the RCD falls into the 4ppqn camp.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

the higher the ppqn, the more precise the clock will be.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
No real standard. It's usually 24ppqn or 4ppqn. I don't have one but suspect the RCD falls into the 4ppqn camp.
Nice one, thanks.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm 46 today...
Happy birthday!!
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I don't have a RCD but my QCD which I would suspect has the same clock innards basically is 1 ppqn. Meaning that if I send it a clock at 100BPM, /2 will be 50, x2 will be 200 etc. I had to go into the BSP midi editor and change it from 24 to 1 so it wasn't crazy fast. Too bad it can't be set to read higher ppqn clocks as they are more accurate.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

I'm at a part of the slope that isn't slippy anymore, this disease can be cured

Don't get me wrong i love my modular just don't think i'll be adding anything for a longtime if at all.

Time to make music now............... it's been a longtime
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search