The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
How do you think it compares to the Audio Damage sequencer 1?
Newer owned a DS 1.
As I said, only used/owned René and ER-101.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

I'm now not in the market for a sequencer - I had no idea the one in O & C was so good. Dual channel, 4 sequences in each (can be chained) multiple play directions (including brownian, with probability) 4 external control CVs that can be applied to almost everything from the looks of things, built in quantizer, built in clock div/mult plus loads of other stuff I haven't figured out. Mental, especially when you consider everything else this module can do. Also moved my desk around to not get freaked out by reaching over a massive synth to get to my rack, so Dom 1 now not being sold!

Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

I think I finally have the 12u performance case in a good place. Here's a little generative piece based around mixing envelopes with Blinds, the ER-301 and Ornament and Crime.

Old 10th July 2017

Makes me feel how this must have felt...

ADDAC Quad Quantizer is next...
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Noob question: If I'm using a sequencer where notes are set with 0, +4, +9 etc. semitones, rather than actual notes, I take it I tune my osc to the root note I want?
Old 10th July 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Noob question: If I'm using a sequencer where notes are set with 0, +4, +9 etc. semitones, rather than actual notes, I take it I tune my osc to the root note I want?
Yes, you can set the root note by tuning your oscillator, by adding voltage between the seq and the osc (very useful for transposing the sequence) or on the sequencer itself.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Now that I have a computer again, catching up on some of my back log...

This one has older and newer modular parts (the shots in the video are old from before I had either the Dark Modular or Synthrotek cases). Started in May 2015 and finished July 2017...she's a late bloomer.

Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Yes, you can set the root note by tuning your oscillator, by adding voltage between the seq and the osc (very useful for transposing the sequence) or on the sequencer itself.
Thanks.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

I love how it only takes 2-3 pages of this threads to get me wanting to add a whole other row with 3-4 modules already in a WANT WANT list.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

morphagene party

throw up a reel of a track with a fixed bpm. dial in a clock (1ppqn) with the same bpm. now run through the reel with the clock going into the splice (so splices are layed out evenly in sync with the track on every beat). then plug the clock into the clock & shift (to skip to next splice). now just dial in a fun gene size and slide and enjoy an instant remix. oh and dont forget to turn that varispeed knob to anything....
Old 11th July 2017
Here for the gear

Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoknownaudio View Post

We should have a no-verb november and see what these kinds of examples sound like!

(I hope thats not your video - I don't mean to be rude! Just think its funny how 95% of the modular videos I see and performances even are more reverb demoes than anything else.)
Old 11th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
95% of the modular videos I see and performances even are more reverb demoes than anything else.)
Agreed.
Old 11th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
We should have a no-verb november and see what these kinds of examples sound like!

(I hope thats not your video - I don't mean to be rude! Just think its funny how 95% of the modular videos I see and performances even are more reverb demoes than anything else.)
Haha it is but point taken & challenge accepted
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Now that I have a computer again, catching up on some of my back log...

This one has older and newer modular parts (the shots in the video are old from before I had either the Dark Modular or Synthrotek cases). Started in May 2015 and finished July 2017...she's a late bloomer.

Brilliant. I have been wanting to funk up the modular with guitar but so far it's been more rock. Lovely acid bassline and nice drums too. It all fits so well. Very, very good!
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just got some new 126hp rails from Synthracks.com. Nothing much but moving things around to fit in the Octocontroller (holding off until I get paid, trying).
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just splurged:

DLD
Quadra
Three Sisters
RCD
RCD breakout

Case full!
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

someone please help me out here. I'm tempted to get a modular but unsure what to get... Can one of you kind souls push me in the direction of what I'd need to re-create the FM/ring mod type lead on this track that starts at 1:52.

https://youtu.be/BD_uBLfysz0?t=1m52s

Could it be done on say a regular £1600 Doepfer basic system or would I need to go off looking at some special modules?
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Wow. Thank you. That’s the most moving dance track I’ve heard in at least five years.
no problem. its phat as sh1t especially with w33d
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

I finished the subwoofer. and its temporarily powered by a nad c320bee ([email protected]) and it can so far play louder than the jbls, by faaaar .

the drivers are connected as 4ohm, and 1 on each channel. estimated q for this box is about 0,5 cold and maybe 0,65 or so when working at max amplitude for extended times (and when that happens this entire house is not standing any more, i can tell you that).

the dbx x-over does the filtering, and so far its "seamless", took me about 10 minutes to dial **** in.

I also did some more diying this weekend.

Built a shelf for my modular. bought oak wood, fabricated, then stained it in classic dark oak. then clear coated it. then I put an antisag device under it.

I made the legs myself too. I drilled a hole in a rod and then welded a nut on it. then another nut as a counternut (for locking the bolt when adjustments are done). this turned out good. adjustment range is 100mm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-temp-bass-system.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-new-layout.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-antisag-device.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-adjustable-legs.jpg  
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Thank you. That’s the most moving dance track I’ve heard in at least five years.

I first heard it at my friends place in downtown oslo. I was there the summer 2010. He had a **** load of super silver haze and good music.

I took 2 other songs with me from there. these 2. really mindphucking ****.

la roux - quicksand (mad decent 2 rmx)

miss kittin and the hacker - party in my head
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

When I first got into modular, a large part of that was because of listening to Alessandro Cortinis stuff. Not being able to do the whole Buchla thing, I went with a gradual build up of Make Noise modules. I may be putting some or all of them up for sale now as I just clicked buy on a set of PCBs/panels for a Music Easel.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

DLD. Wow. I've just spent way too long playing a single am'd Mother 32 low D through it, with Sisters on both send loops. Nearly put myself into a trance. Tomorrow I will add subtle modulation to stuff, record about 10 minutes of it and use it as the basis for a new track.
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Addict

Funny, I have Tides for more than a year. It was one of my first modules along with Braids. Liked it, but there was no click sofar. But...Untill....I bought the new Pam a few weeks ago.
Yesterday I was messing with all the outputs of Pam into Tides and Tides was modulating Braids (and later on other modules). Suddenly Tides made sense to me. I felt dumb , never had the patience to explore Tides, or maybe not the right tools to let it shine. Not that I have a bunchload of modules, but from now on I won't buy any other modules before I really have explored the last bought module
Well that's the plan...
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post

miss kittin and the hacker - party in my head
Love that 'Cowley'/'Moroder' sound....
Thanx again!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Show of hands who plans to sell their modulars after this last modular-hate thread? No one?

Btw a new module arrived today. It was love at first sight.

Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Show of hands who plans to sell their modulars after this last modular-hate thread? No one?

Btw a new module arrived today. It was love at first sight.

I'm gonna sell mine as soon as ebay opens tomorrow
They only make beeps and boops anyway right.

Nice little sequencer you got there. I have one too. It sits next to my metropolis, and I find that to be a really good combo. The stepper is really fast to work with.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
Nice little sequencer you got there. I have one too. It sits next to my metropolis, and I find that to be a really good combo. The stepper is really fast to work with.
I think it's the most user-friendly sequencer I’ve ever encountered. I was jamming within one minute of powering it up the first time.

I think for now I’ll keep it in the mini-case and move it around the studio to try with different synths. I suspect I’m going to be using this thing a lot. It’s perfect: not too complex, but not too simple either. It’s like Baby Bear’s sequencer:

It’s just right!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's the most user-friendly sequencer I’ve ever encountered. I was jamming within one minute of powering it up the first time.

I think for now I’ll keep it in the mini-case and move it around the studio to try with different synths. I suspect I’m going to be using this thing a lot. It’s perfect: not too complex, but not too simple either. It’s like Baby Bear’s sequencer:

It’s just right!
If you have the time also try out a metropolis, its so fukn awesome. You can basically set stuff up completely random and it spits out something good!
I was really surprised how cool sequeces it produces.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
it sure is a weird thread. I never realized how many people had a negative opinion of modular. But it won't sway me into abandoning modular.

yet your talk of selling - it's reminded me that I have a 6Ux84hp low cost doepfer case that I've taken the busboards and power supply out of. All that's left is a wood box and rails. I should sell that. I don't even know what I should ask for it
any ideas? 100$?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search