The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that there is no singular, perfect eurorack sequencer. IMHO, what I've found to work best is a a combination of different types of sequencer modules. A stored voltage module like a Rene or SQ-1, a gate sequencer which the BSP is really good at, or at the high end, a Circadian Rythms, a simple 8-step to glue everything together, then randomization (and lots of it). If you're trying to compose something that you can save and come back to with a eurorack sequencer, you're doing it wrong, just use a computer.

Though everyone is different, I think I've finally refined my 12u into a true performance box.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/464483

Combine that rack with a BSP and I've got what you could count as 12 different sequencer sources with probably triple the number of channels I could play with using all the different sequencing styles. I've even got a few more like the Turing and Frames in the secondary rack now. That Martin Dubka statement makes so much sense to me, it's about creating streams, then dipping into them.
Will check your rack out, thanks. As I have a BSP and my DAW/ES, I'm looking for something that will take me to unusual places - I want stuff fluttering in and out to add interest and variation to whatever melodies are driving my track. I can do this in the DAW obviously, but I want to tweak as I'm recording.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Nope. I am second guessing the FLXS-1...thinking about a trigger riot instead maybe, but can't seem to make up my mind.
Tough decisions... I keep going from my initial Make Noise plan, to a Voltage Block/Varigate setup, to a Z8000/Trigger Riot combo.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that there is no singular, perfect eurorack sequencer.... IMHO, what I've found to work best is a a combination of different types of sequencer modules. A stored voltage module like a Rene or SQ-1, a gate sequencer which the BSP is really good at, or at the high end, a Circadian Rythms, a simple 8-step to glue everything together, then randomization (and lots of it). If you're trying to compose something that you can save and come back to with a eurorack sequencer, you're doing it wrong, just use a computer.

Though everyone is different, I think I've finally refined my 12u into a true performance box.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/464483

Combine that rack with a BSP and I've got what you could count as 12 different sequencer sources with probably triple the number of channels I could play with using all the different sequencing styles. I've even got a few more like the Turing and Frames in the secondary rack now. That Martin Dubka statement makes so much sense to me, it's about creating streams, then dipping into them.
My plan is for both types of setups where picking and choosing elements from these two I will actually end up having 3 main setup-types available.

One that makes use of more featured sequencers.

One that is based on more on the fly sequencing ( i currently have BSP, Octocontroller ADE32 then logic, bus swtiches... and i recently got an Ornament & Crime I didn't plug in yet). I have been looing at the Arpitecht and the Tuesday but didn't go for it yet. The Shakmat Four Bricks Rook I am also interested in. The Voltage Block also very interesting.

One that is more experimental with not a lot in terms of dedicated sequencing blocks (this will come out of the other two paradigms picking and choosing modules as I see fit)

For the more sequencer-featured setup I didn't go for Metropolis or Hammer 2, etc... I based my decision purely on demos and reading the manuals for now and I am waiting for Eloquencer, ER-101/102 combo. Which will offer plenty of on the fly sequencing and looping most days...
But also offer the flexibilty, if I want to, for building tracks over time by saving and recalling sequences (when I don't have time for single long sessions and I have to switch modular on/off across a number of days).

Overall I am trying to stay away from the computer. For me Modular was about not only hands on, creativity, experience but also No Computer. So to have some module that can save a sequence help even more to only switch the computer on to record tracks and not to create them.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Tough decisions... I keep going from my initial Make Noise plan, to a Voltage Block/Varigate setup, to a Z8000/Trigger Riot combo.
Yes the Trigger Riot is a constant temptation for me too but I spent money on other modules... although I will surely have to try one, nice concept for an hands on sequencer
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

One more that was started on the former computer...
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
whats the one on the bottom for?
That's a wire stripper
Old 6th July 2017
Quote:
If you're trying to compose something that you can save and come back to with a eurorack sequencer, you're doing it wrong, just use a computer.
When I first started this was my ethic as well. Somewhere in the middle I got confused and started a new plan to make songs in a live euro case. Recallable songs. After watching the Mylar Melodies "how it all works" video that plan was shattered. It's just too easy to improvise and too difficult to repeat in this format. I lost my head for a bit but now I'm back on the live improv plan. I'll post the revisions to my case later. MG wouldn't work for me yesterday.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will check your rack out, thanks. As I have a BSP and my DAW/ES, I'm looking for something that will take me to unusual places - I want stuff fluttering in and out to add interest and variation to whatever melodies are driving my track. I can do this in the DAW obviously, but I want to tweak as I'm recording.
Sounds like you should look into either or both a sequential switch and a good envelope generator; something like a Quadra with expander or Contour. Also watched DivKids demo of the new Erica Black Envelope and expander, than thing looks fun.
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
When I first started this was my ethic as well. Somewhere in the middle I got confused and started a new plan to make songs in a live euro case. Recallable songs. After watching the Mylar Melodies "how it all works" video that plan was shattered. It's just too easy to improvise and too difficult to repeat in this format. I lost my head for a bit but now I'm back on the live improv plan. I'll post the revisions to my case later. MG wouldn't work for me yesterday.
Hmm. this is actually a very interesting thought. One that I haven't thought of previously

This sums up really well the thing that has been keeping me off Euro sequencers, but suddenly it seems like it could actually be a very cool paradigm. Thanks, eye-opening posts
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
whats the one on the bottom for?
stripping wires.

KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. -Products
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
add interest and variation
Random gens like noise ring/wogglebug maybe?
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Indeed--which is another small advantage of sticking to one manufacturer. It simplifies decision making. It’s like “Need a sequencer? Well, this is what we got.”

(Btw I have a small case, size 0.25 derps, to house my non-Doepfer modules. There’s room in there for a Haible Living VCO. Just sayin’.)
Just finally got all my part from mouser, haven't actually started building it but hoping to start this weekend. Will report back.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
err... i knew that heh

I only ever used the scissor like ones, was gonna get one of those separator types, but haven't gotten around to it, do these work better? Ok with stranded? 22 awg?

/derail
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
err... i knew that heh

I only ever used the scissor like ones, was gonna get one of those separator types, but haven't gotten around to it, do these work better? Ok with stranded? 22 awg?

/derail
They go up to 5mm or 7 awg

the smaller one goes from 0,03mm to 1mm
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

there is also another type for small diameter wires (but it was basically out of stock everywhere when I ordered).

0,1-0,8mm KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. -Products

Old 7th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Hmm. this is actually a very interesting thought. One that I haven't thought of previously

This sums up really well the thing that has been keeping me off Euro sequencers, but suddenly it seems like it could actually be a very cool paradigm. Thanks, eye-opening posts
Well, here's the new big fat hairy idea-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431

I left a hole this time for whatever i didn't think of (and an effect I haven't decided on yet), but I have been virtually patching this thing up in my head and thinking magical thoughts. It's also cheaper than the previous plan by 1k or more, and I can cover the expense with the sale of other gear that is collecting dust.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

I think I'm going for the Varigate 8+. Should be sorted for gate sequencing for eons and it has 2 CV outs as well. Still love the look of the Rene, and the Metropolis, and all the other sequencers but the Varigate+ has a lot going for it. Any owners to provide feedback?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone have the Eloquencer? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

So here's a good question. Who edits down their jam session recordings?

Lately, I've noticed that I'll get a patch going and jam on it until I like it.. hit record, and play for a while. When I'm done it's 7-12min of stuff that most people couldn't sit through.

Does everyone edit their stuff down to get the good stuff?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
So here's a good question. Who edits down their jam session recordings?

Lately, I've noticed that I'll get a patch going and jam on it until I like it.. hit record, and play for a while. When I'm done it's 7-12min of stuff that most people couldn't sit through.

Does everyone edit their stuff down to get the good stuff?
I get as much going live as possible, and leave everything set up while I do any additional bits in the DAW like VSTs, fx on my hardware inputs, etc. This way, stuff that is playing back that I don't have to 'perform' can form the basis of the finished track. When I'm happy I'll record the audio tracks in one pass, with live wiggling. I find this way minimises the amount of tedious editing I have to do.

I'm trying to make my compositions more live, hence the endless search for the perfect sequencer.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get as much going live as possible, and leave everything set up while I do any additional bits in the DAW like VSTs, fx on my hardware inputs, etc. This way, stuff that is playing back that I don't have to 'perform' can form the basis of the finished track. When I'm happy I'll record the audio tracks in one pass, with live wiggling. I find this way minimises the amount of tedious editing I have to do.

I'm trying to make my compositions more live, hence the endless search for the perfect sequencer.
That's kind of what I'm doing.. but I find that the live performance tends to run a lot longer than I'd like. There's lots of subtle wiggling going on that could/should be edited out when I'm done.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Anyone have the Eloquencer? What are your thoughts on it?
is it even available?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hey guys this a serious question.

What happens if I feed my filters +-10v (20v p-p) instead of the euro "standard"
+-5v (10v p-p)??

I just got the sea devils and basically I want to see if I can abuse it a bit by overdriving its audio input. But I dont really want to fry it either since it was 250+shipping+vat...

I have an amp module and the max amplification seems to be +-10v / 20v p-p. I've only used it for faint sub euro standard amplification up to now. to boost stuff up to 5v basically.

has anyone sent any filter 10v instead of 5v signals??

the eurorack standard is 12v on the rails, and I would assume all modules can handle 12v on almost all inputs without smoke appearing. Would this assumption be right?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, here's the new big fat hairy idea-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431

I left a hole this time for whatever i didn't think of (and an effect I haven't decided on yet), but I have been virtually patching this thing up in my head and thinking magical thoughts. It's also cheaper than the previous plan by 1k or more, and I can cover the expense with the sale of other gear that is collecting dust.
Is this something you run now or are planning on getting or just an idea?

I have noticed something: it sucks to have to twist knobs for long periods of time on the 3rd and 4th row. So now I'm arranging my 2 low costs side by side instead. its just really fatigueing/tireing in the shoulders and arms to work above 2nd row for extended periods of time imo. I mean try holding your arm straight out at about head level for like 1 hour! not so cool.
Old 7th July 2017
Quote:
Is this something you run now or are planning on getting or just an idea?

I have noticed something: it sucks to have to twist knobs for long periods of time on the 3rd and 4th row. So now I'm arranging my 2 low costs side by side instead. its just really fatigueing/tireing in the shoulders and arms to work above 2nd row for extended periods of time imo. I mean try holding your arm straight out at about head level for like 1 hour! not so cool.
I have 2/3 of it, and a bunch to sell. Gonna finish it off in the next month or 2. I have my case on a stand designed to prop up a guitar amp. The center row is at eye level when I sit down in front of it. Very ergonomic. Reaching the top or bottom row requires no stretching or reaching at all. I sit close though so my arms are bent no matter the row. The sequencers and mixer are probably the things I would spend the most time tweaking so I put them on the bottom. When I had the case up on a desk it was like you are saying. Spaghetti arms and jiggly patching.
Old 7th July 2017
Quote:
Hey guys this a serious question.

What happens if I feed my filters +-10v (20v p-p) instead of the euro "standard"
+-5v (10v p-p)??

I just got the sea devils and basically I want to see if I can abuse it a bit by overdriving its audio input. But I dont really want to fry it either since it was 250+shipping+vat...

I have an amp module and the max amplification seems to be +-10v / 20v p-p. I've only used it for faint sub euro standard amplification up to now. to boost stuff up to 5v basically.

has anyone sent any filter 10v instead of 5v signals??

the eurorack standard is 12v on the rails, and I would assume all modules can handle 12v on almost all inputs without smoke appearing. Would this assumption be right?
I can tell you that I ignore the voltage range on lots of modules and have fried none, fwiw.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can tell you that I ignore the voltage range on lots of modules and have fried none, fwiw.
Voltage range? What's that?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

so guys are saying just feed whatever the hell i want into it??

I'm just q bit hesitant since its like a 100% hotter signal
Old 7th July 2017
Quote:
Voltage range? What's that?
Indeed. I plug first, read later.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed. I plug first, read later.
Read?