The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I'm also looking at proper Eurorack sequencers after my crazy Pyramid/Yarns notion. This will be an addition to BSP and Bitwig, so I'm looking for something that embodies the spirit of modular rather than just banging melodies in that are in my head. Something experimental/tweaky/jammy. Any thoughts?
I’ve been very happy with the Doepfer A-155 + A-154 combo. The amount of variation one can get from just 8 steps is staggering. Of particular note are the CV controllable first/last steps on the A-154 and the audio/CV inputs with attenuators for each step on the A-155.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Such a nice, pure and clean filter!

So I have this new filter, and I made a recording of it testing out its fm-capabilities. Its a very simple patch.
1 malekko osc playing a constant bass tone into the filter. Then another osc fm-ing the filter cutoff, then to vca (only used to lower the volume into the mixer).

I start out with some simple sweeps. I then turn up the volume and resonance and fm-depth as I go along. I forgot to set fm depth to max though. gonna try that soon and see what comes out of it.

I only play with the cutoff and mod osc freq manually, the rest of knobs I raise in increments. Its ends at max vol in, max resonance.

At about 50% input volume the filter is clean, but after that it starts to distort a Iittle and I got a bit carried away there for a while.
Attached Files

little filter test 99.mp3 (14.65 MB, 1485 views)

Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Here I basically set input vol to max, fm in to max, res to max, and it went nuts.
Attached Files

little filter test 999.mp3 (5.85 MB, 1480 views)

Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

A little, Sunday afternoon techno jam. All live, one take on the modular.

Modules used include --

Qu-bit Chord
Grids
Ladik M-216
Yarns
Braids
WMD S.P.O.
WMD Aperture
WMD MMF
Evolution
Streams
Doepfer WASP
Pamela's New Workout
Octocontroller
Disting Mk4
Klavis Twin Wave
Peaks
Clouds
Freez
Erica Pico DSP
Erica Stereo Mixer
WMD Apritecht and Triads
TINRS Tuesday
Blinds
Veils
WMD SSM
ER-301
Metropolis
Quadra
BeatStep Pro
Analog Rytm
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm also looking at proper Eurorack sequencers after my crazy Pyramid/Yarns notion. This will be an addition to BSP and Bitwig, so I'm looking for something that embodies the spirit of modular rather than just banging melodies in that are in my head. Something experimental/tweaky/jammy. Any thoughts? So far I have it pinned down to a Rene, PP, Brains and an RCD.
I really like the Metropolis, especially after the new firmware than handles 1v/o transposition and ratcheting. It's quick enough you can tweak sequences on the fly in a "live" type situation. I don't own one, but I'm also severely tempted to get an ER-101 after my experience with the ER-301. Anything more than those two just doesn't make sense for me with a modular. Modular is about being in the moment, almost zen. You can never recreate the same patch, so why bother with a complex sequencer. if you want anything more complicated than a Metro or ER-101, just use a computer.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

that was really awesome
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very cool jam. Perfect track to help me wake up this morning!
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really like the Metropolis, especially after the new firmware than handles 1v/o transposition and ratcheting. It's quick enough you can tweak sequences on the fly in a "live" type situation. I don't own one, but I'm also severely tempted to get an ER-101 after my experience with the ER-301. Anything more than those two just doesn't make sense for me with a modular. Modular is about being in the moment, almost zen. You can never recreate the same patch, so why bother with a complex sequencer. if you want anything more complicated than a Metro or ER-101, just use a computer.
I always got the impression that the ER-101 was pretty complex, and more for in-depth tweaking if you know what you want? I need to watch more Metropolis vids as I really like the look of it but haven't yet sussed how evolvy it can get.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I’ve been very happy with the Doepfer A-155 + A-154 combo. The amount of variation one can get from just 8 steps is staggering. Of particular note are the CV controllable first/last steps on the A-154 and the audio/CV inputs with attenuators for each step on the A-155.
Cheers, I had a sequencing skiff set up in MG with this combo once, I fully intended on getting it. Then I got side-tracked with DAW sequencing.

Will watch some vids. It's on big-ass setup though so something else would have to drop out of my plan.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
No, it was at Superbooth, so it wasn't even that long ago
oh jeah they were both in April, got that mixed. Still long ago, at least for me, especially when it comes to electronics.

Watching my modulagrid plan and it's totally changed in a few months. So much new stuff with cv that changes everything. 1st world problemos
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always got the impression that the ER-101 was pretty complex, and more for in-depth tweaking if you know what you want? I need to watch more Metropolis vids as I really like the look of it but haven't yet sussed how evolvy it can get.
Any of the Colin Bender's videos are a good example of how, "on the fly", the ER-101 can be.

With my own rig, I use the Metropolis as "glue" for whatever I'm doing. As for the rest of the patch, IMHO the best modular sequencing is when you decouple the notes from the gates, "dipping into the stream" as it's referred to in the Martin Dubka discussion a few pages back.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any of the Colin Bender's videos are a good example of how, "on the fly", the ER-101 can be.

With my own rig, I use the Metropolis as "glue" for whatever I'm doing. As for the rest of the patch, IMHO the best modular sequencing is when you decouple the notes from the gates, "dipping into the stream" as it's referred to in the Martin Dubka discussion a few pages back.
*goes back a few pages*
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Sent Dieter a thank you email and a picture of my rack and he said it was nice and thanked me for the kind words, what a nice guy
Old 4th July 2017
Added a Doepfer A-189-1 ; thanks to DERP for pointing out this module to me …

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

A challenger appears!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-stg-filter.jpg  
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Newly in.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0389.jpg  
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do all you 'big case' guys use any non-modular synths as well?
I use polysynths all the time as its totally different, but I dont ever find myself using my monosynths. I'll ise the SH101 sometimes but always find myself wishing it had FM capabilities, dynamic control over the filter envelope per step, VC decay... all that stuff that is just commonplace in modular and crucial for acid and FM sounds that I use mono sounds for. Maybe I'll mod it. The minimog and prodigy haven't been recorded in years but I just cant get myself to sell them as they both have meaningful acquisition memories to me :/
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
I use polysynths all the time as its totally different, but I dont ever find myself using my monosynths. I'll ise the SH101 sometimes but always find myself wishing it had FM capabilities, dynamic control over the filter envelope per step, VC decay... all that stuff that is just commonplace in modular and crucial for acid and FM sounds that I use mono sounds for. Maybe I'll mod it. The minimog and prodigy haven't been recorded in years but I just cant get myself to sell them as they both have meaningful acquisition memories to me :/
Cheers. I'm going full modular/DAW now, using the DAW for some modular control, poly and fx. The Dom 1 is sadly on Reverb, it's an amazing synth but I know in my heart that it's going to get used less and less, and get sold at some point anyway.

The beauty of modular for me is that however much you expand, it's still one bit of kit. This resonates with me. My interface inputs are now just labelled 1,2,3 etc, which is freeing, and there's no midi anywhere.

However, I will always want to record, and make finished tracks, hence the DAW. I use Bitwig and it's an excellent modular partner.

Psyched!
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

All right. I just tested the Sea Devils a bit, and it definitely resonates and fm's very well. Compared to the doepfer a102 I posted audio from above this one starts self oscillating at around 9. and the a102 at around 3,5.. Also the sea devils sounds much cleaner and pristine kinda, even when pushing it to extremes it just has another sound. I haven't tried overdriving the audio in yet though so that might change. Maybe the sea devils will be better suited for actual usable sounds and the doepfer for crazy sh1t. The doepfer is funny though since its almost one gigantic weird distortion sweet spot. no matter how the knobs and levels are set it sounds awesome.

The sea devils sounds good too, but it sounds very behaved at lower settings.

Pros with the a102;
has volume knob for audio in, totally changes everything.
self osc starts at 3,5 or so. and 4 should really be labeled 10, and then its kinda goes to 11, and more 11 and much much more 11.
has 3 cv in, 2 with atts.
its totally nuts compared to almost everything else.

pros with the sea devils;
much better spacing of knobs.
cleaner maybe more usable, and easier to stay there.
it goes nuts too, but not all the way to a102 nuts.
cvable rez.
more controllable in general maybe.

they are both keepers though and complement each other well.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Forgot i joined this group buy, plenty of pots for mutable instrument builds.

Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

new tools
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-plierz.jpg  
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
new tools
happy manicure
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Been fully intending on getting a Rene but I'm being strangely drawn to the Z8000. Am I nuts?
Old 5th July 2017
Quote:
Been fully intending on getting a Rene but I'm being strangely drawn to the Z8000. Am I nuts?
Nope. I am second guessing the FLXS-1...thinking about a trigger riot instead maybe, but can't seem to make up my mind.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Nope. I am second guessing the FLXS-1...thinking about a trigger riot instead maybe, but can't seem to make up my mind.
It is hard to choose sequencers without trying them out. And they are not the cheaper type of module to just guess it may be ok...

hard
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rene looks very cool, but it doesn't seem near as immediate as the Z8000 to me. I eventually wound up with the Malekko Voltage Block over the Z8000 and couldn't be happier. It's still got some button presses, but it's incredibly simple (and functional) - even for an idiot like me.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

I'm hoping that my Elektron Machine Drum + 4 channel midi-to-cv module will prevent me from needing to get one of the more crazier sequencers. That + trying to find a white whale to use my monome with modular which seems like a no brainer. But yea, sequencers decisions = hard.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
new tools
whats the one on the bottom for?
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
It is hard to choose sequencers without trying them out. And they are not the cheaper type of module to just guess it may be ok...

hard
I've come to the conclusion that there is no singular, perfect eurorack sequencer. IMHO, what I've found to work best is a a combination of different types of sequencer modules. A stored voltage module like a Rene or SQ-1, a gate sequencer which the BSP is really good at, or at the high end, a Circadian Rythms, a simple 8-step to glue everything together, then randomization (and lots of it). If you're trying to compose something that you can save and come back to with a eurorack sequencer, you're doing it wrong, just use a computer.

Though everyone is different, I think I've finally refined my 12u into a true performance box.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/464483

Combine that rack with a BSP and I've got what you could count as 12 different sequencer sources with probably triple the number of channels I could play with using all the different sequencing styles. I've even got a few more like the Turing and Frames in the secondary rack now. That Martin Dubka statement makes so much sense to me, it's about creating streams, then dipping into them.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
But yea, sequencers decisions = hard.
Indeed--which is another small advantage of sticking to one manufacturer. It simplifies decision making. It’s like “Need a sequencer? Well, this is what we got.”

(Btw I have a small case, size 0.25 derps, to house my non-Doepfer modules. There’s room in there for a Haible Living VCO. Just sayin’.)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search