The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st July 2017
  #4531
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

can you return it? if its not working then whats the point?
Old 1st July 2017
  #4532
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-...on-synthesizer

They really want me to mess up my plans....
Old 1st July 2017
  #4533
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-...on-synthesizer

They really want me to mess up my plans....
there's always going to be new modules.
Either stick to your plan and ignore all distractions
or plan to be organic and expect to be constantly evolving!
it's going to be the latter, it always is.
2
Share
Old 1st July 2017
  #4534
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Just finished building my rack today, from fantasy to reality.



8
Share
Old 1st July 2017
  #4535
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
I'm doing it, I'm going Full Modular. I can have immense power without having too much gear, which as I've said before does bad things to my brain.

Bitwig
Several Derps
Boom
Old 1st July 2017
  #4536
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
there's always going to be new modules.
Either stick to your plan and ignore all distractions
or plan to be organic and expect to be constantly evolving!
it's going to be the latter, it always is.
Yeah you are right! It is not that bad , I need a drummodule for my case, part of the plan. I have that feeling this one won't be cheap though...
Old 1st July 2017
  #4537
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Just finished building my rack today, from fantasy to reality.



That looks like it can bring the noise.
Old 1st July 2017
  #4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
That looks like it can bring the noise.
It does bring the noise on a regular basis. Find him on YouTube.
1
Share
Old 1st July 2017
  #4539
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It does bring the noise on a regular basis. Find him on YouTube.
I'm just uploading a little one minute vid to YouTube.

It's clocked from a square wave which is triggering some modules and a VCA.

I have run out of patch cables! Also, I need to hook this bad boy up to my An1x and let its step sequencer automate note, velocity and CC at the same time, whilst using a midi clocked RX11 to trigger envelopes, trigger the clock divider with non regular pulses, etc. There is a rabbit hole of composition to explore!

Last edited by xanderbeanz; 1st July 2017 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Missed a comma!
1
Share
Old 1st July 2017
  #4540
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar


Old 1st July 2017
  #4541
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I'm just uploading a little one minute vid to YouTube.

It's clocked from a square wave which is triggering some modules and a VCA.

I have run out of patch cables! Also, I need to hook this bad boy up to my An1x and let its step sequencer automate note, velocity and CC at the same time, whilst using a midi clocked RX11 to trigger envelopes, trigger the clock divider with non regular pulses, etc. There is a rabbit hole of composition to explore!
I'd love it if you did a video all about DNA. That module is full of untapped potential for me.
1
Share
Old 1st July 2017
  #4542
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'd love it if you did a video all about DNA. That module is full of untapped potential for me.
It's insane, totally unhinged if you run a sum of 4 LFO's into the "control" CV.

Pittsburgh did design a sequel, but gave up on it to focus on analogue (boo! boring! lol)

Old 2nd July 2017
  #4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It's insane, totally unhinged if you run a sum of 4 LFO's into the "control" CV.
Pretty much what I do. Sum a couple octo-lfos into maths and convolute it through both sides. So far It makes awesome gitch drums, especially folding the2 outs in warps.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4544
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'd love it if you did a video all about DNA. That module is full of untapped potential for me.
Funny, I was fiddling with mine the other day, thinking what a bit of a nightmare video that would be... without even getting particularly clever, would take hours just to run through the basic permutations (16x16x16 "waveforms" before you even start detuning or messing with control and balance)

As you say, it seems full of untapped potential and on paper seems amazing, but in practice though, can't say its really impressed me all that much. (and maybe I should a "yet" there)... Firstly I guess its simply because of all the possibilities - you can't really get to "know" them all, so it seems very much a "patch and hope" kinda module. I tend to patch with some kind of goal in mind, but this thing is rather unpredictable. The other thing is that it seems like it was designed to be used in a higher frequency range than what I had in mind. Lower frequency stuff seems to bring out the digitalness in a not so pleasing way sometimes - kind of like a sample that's been pitched down a bit too far. I guess I'd sort of envisioned it as a cool evolving drone module, but it seems more suited to whines lol.

Willing to admit that the above is possibly a premature judgement - I have managed to get quite a bit of cool stuff out of it and am not itching to sell it or anything. Just that finding that cool stuff has been a lot of sifting through a lot of horrible noises, and the "cool" I find is mostly not the cool I set out to look for.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4545
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Just finished building my rack today, from fantasy to reality.

Looks great!

I think .5 derps is the perfect size for a base system. From there you can choose to expand--or not. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.
1
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4546
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

I'm doing a Derp, I ordered a Digitakt and now I'm planning on not buying any gear for a longtime to come
2
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4547
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Does anyone know of a modular to interface/mixer box? Basically 3.5mm jacks one side and 6.35mm the other, about 16 of them?
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4548
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Does anyone know of a modular to interface/mixer box? Basically 3.5mm jacks one side and 6.35mm the other, about 16 of them?
Think I'm being dumb - standard patch bay and a bunch of 3.5mm adapters?
1
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4549
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Think I'm being dumb - standard patch bay and a bunch of 3.5mm adapters?
Was about to suggest just getting a bunch of 3.5->6mm cables, adaptors can get a bit fiddly, but does mean you can use the cables for patching when you run out. Depends on your setup too though - I don't have much use for 1.5m patch cables, but do have a bit of distance between modular and mixer.

A different option that doepfer has since copied from me (lol) was to mount a couple of jacks on a blank plate and wire them into a DB25, and then you can run a regular snake to mixer/interface... their thinking was more to connect two cases, but the principle is there.

A-180-9 Multicore
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4550
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Looks great!

I think .5 derps is the perfect size for a base system. From there you can choose to expand--or not. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.
Thanks might get a doepfer monster base one day? Anyhow, I'm already about £2.5 grand in and I need to remember that, enjoy my purchase and not think about expansion too much.

But I definitely need more patch cables! Lol
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4551
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Think I'm being dumb - standard patch bay and a bunch of 3.5mm adapters?
Yeah that'd be cheapest I reckon.

Doepfer has a multiples II module, but it's €38 and you'd need 8 of them!
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4552
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Was about to suggest just getting a bunch of 3.5->6mm cables, adaptors can get a bit fiddly...
Indeed. They can also be heavy and put strain on the jacks. So I prefer to use 3.5>6mm cables. Because I'm using a Voyager XL as my main controller, which uses 6mm jacks, I need a lot of them to connect to my eurorack modular. They're also useful for patching Moogerfoogers into the eurorack. It's kind of a pain dealing with competing jack standards... but the alternative was to go all 5U and miss out on all the cool stuff in euro.
1
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4553
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
After far too long without a computer the new build is a fully operational battle station.

A modular, an Avalon and an iPad walk into a bar...
3
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4554
Gear Nut
 
tadgreedy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Think I'm being dumb - standard patch bay and a bunch of 3.5mm adapters?
Although expensive, something like this perhaps?

nw2s-io
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4555
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Thanks for the patching advice folks. I have 8 inputs available straight into my Multiface and another 8 into an ADA8200. The problem with the former is there's no attenuation, so I'm going to be using up VCAs to handle hot signals.

Think I'll get a second 8200 and run the line outs into the Multiface. That'll put all my inputs in the same place, next to my case. This way I can just buy more 3.5 to 6 cables and go straight in.

I'm also looking at proper Eurorack sequencers after my crazy Pyramid/Yarns notion. This will be an addition to BSP and Bitwig, so I'm looking for something that embodies the spirit of modular rather than just banging melodies in that are in my head. Something experimental/tweaky/jammy. Any thoughts? So far I have it pinned down to a Rene, PP, Brains and an RCD.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4556
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadgreedy View Post
Although expensive, something like this perhaps?

nw2s-io
Looks great but I have no other gear with that serial connector type thing. Do some audio interfaces have that?
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4557
Gear Nut
 
tadgreedy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Looks great but I have no other gear with that serial connector type thing. Do some audio interfaces have that?
I think some Pro Tools rigs etc. use this connector, but you can get multicore cables to connect via xlr/trs etc.

e.g. TRS_to_DB25
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4558
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadgreedy View Post
I think some Pro Tools rigs etc. use this connector, but you can get multicore cables to connect via xlr/trs etc.

e.g. TRS_to_DB25
Ah, now it makes sense. Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4559
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Looks great but I have no other gear with that serial connector type thing. Do some audio interfaces have that?
It's an analog connector, not Tascam digital. You just need the right snake / cable.

Hosa Snakes - Hosa Technology

My Yamaha 01v96i actually has a DB25 analog connector on it (bought it used and it came with the card).
1
Share
Old 2nd July 2017
  #4560
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's an analog connector, not Tascam digital. You just need the right snake / cable.

Hosa Snakes - Hosa Technology

My Yamaha 01v96i actually has a DB25 analog connector on it (bought it used and it came with the card).
Feck, so you can go straight to mixer with one cable?
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump