The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Has anyone else noticed what setting Braids is on in videos in general? It seems to be on CSAW in every video I watch. I use that one but find myself using it on WTBL or one of the BYT settings...

What do you guys use your Braids for?
My goto programs on Braids is FOLD and HARM. I use those 80% of the time, then a few others (including CSAW) the other 20% of the time.

Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Did anyone get to pre-order then. By the time I looked it was gone. But I live in the UK anyway, so would have to pay import duty.
UK (or EU) stores will start listing it soon enough.

US prices are always without tax, so those come on top either way
Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to the Synth Gods for this thread. As GS implodes with toxic and petty Roland vs Behringer vs Moog wars, the modular community quietly moves forward... undeterred... and basically OVER IT.
it's part of our civilisation I guess, the synthesizer industry always has had product wars, and resulting in that, heated discussions. Gearslutz is merely a reflection of what happens there.
I think part of the strength of the modular thing is diversification; that small manufacturers aren't pushed out, and that there's a DIY thing keeping it real on one end. This allows musicians to build up a unique instrument.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

I'll keep my Octatrack Mk1 for sampling the modular.
Mk2 is out there, but the update feels a bit underwhelming
Nice display though
Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
I'll keep my Octatrack Mk1 for sampling the modular.
Mk2 is out there, but the update feels a bit underwhelming
Nice display though
Hard to improve on a classic. This is essentially a new skin on the same beast. Looks nice though.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Any thoughts on swapping my Audio Damage Sequencer 1 for the Eloquencer?

Anyone have one or both? What are any pros and cons?
I'm also interested in opinions on the Eloquencer. It's a new company so I'm a little leery of being an early adopter but man that thing looks sweet.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Anyone use an Oberheim Two Voice Pro along with their Modular rig, or better yet - as the centerpiece?
I could imagine the Oberheim TVS being a wonderful centerpiece to a modular rig. I seriously considered going this route, but instead ended up going with a Voyager XL as my main controller.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
And the DeepMind desktop! That was sneaky. When did that happen? Not here in the UK yet.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeepMindMod
Long ago at Musikmesse
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

I had a look at the Spec of the new Octatrack Mkii then went and ordered a Digitakt instead 10 minutes ago

So i can sample the modular (keeping the thread on track )
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
The Future Music walkthrough of his live rig when he was still putting it together was one of the most important vids for me to see eurorack as something more musical.
I agree that was a great video, his also goes through his latest rig below...

Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
Long ago at Musikmesse
No, it was at Superbooth, so it wasn't even that long ago
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm also interested in opinions on the Eloquencer. It's a new company so I'm a little leery of being an early adopter but man that thing looks sweet.
My understanding is that Befaco is the manufacturer supporting Eloquencer production, so not fully a new company.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the New Pam. I am only around 100 hp, but man...I could use allready 2 Pams. The triggers, LFO's and envelopes...fill up all those empty inputs
Just mess a little around and you have crazy modulation and randomness in a second. Not always usefull for your songs, but fun it is.
Get a Batumi!
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I agree that was a great video, his also goes through his latest rig below...

I also use triggers separate from the step gates in a sequencer and totally get the dipping into the stream thing. He said it better than I ever would though.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Get a Batumi!
Yep that's the next one, before contour
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

I finished re-purposing the case and power supply that came with my GRP R24 sequencer. It now holds several 5U modules and is intended mainly as a processor for external inputs (mic'd acoustic instruments and other signal inputs etc) It has a full featured envelope follower (Modcan 45B), a complex LFO (Synthesizers.com Q167 LFO++), a complex EG/sequencer (Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator), a digital delay (Modcan 59B), and a resonant filter effect (Freestate FX Supra Resonator which is a 5U version of the Mutable Instruments Rings).

Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Just received a Pamela's today to try and optimize space and patching in my rack. Unfortunately, it's looking like a huge waste of money. The damn thing doesn't seem have a true reset, just a run. I'm trying to clock it from my AR thru Yarns, but half the time it's just out of sync. I've played with everything from ppqn to reset behavior, but no dice. I'll give it a couple of more hours, but looks like I should have stayed with the Doepfer A-160's.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Just received a Pamela's today to try and optimize space and patching in my rack. Unfortunately, it's looking like a huge waste of money. The damn thing doesn't seem have a true reset, just a run. I'm trying to clock it from my AR thru Yarns, but half the time it's just out of sync. I've played with everything from ppqn to reset behavior, but no dice. I'll give it a couple of more hours, but looks like I should have stayed with the Doepfer A-160's.
that's really too bad. why isn't the reset trigger on your Pam (is it new Pam?) working?
Clicking the 'Start / Stop' button again stops and resets the clock
The Run input becomes a reset input if Run is set to ‘N

Have you guys seen this:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady...ototype-silver
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pamela's only sends gates and not triggers, but I'd think if I set the gate width to 0% it would behave like a trigger. Bummer because I really wanted the Pamela's to handle the 24 ppqn the Tuesday needs.
I assume youv'e tried with the gate width at 1%?
have you tried an Envelope waveshape at a low %.

edit:
AC coupling will often distort square waves gates into looking like a positive voltage envelope, followed by a negative voltage envelope.

some modules will read this as TWO triggers, (but you can easily adjust the division when that's the case, but if it's not set to a 50% pulse the module can get confused....)
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm getting that weird, old firmware, Metropolis effect where it starts out of sync and has to play catch up for a few measures. Just can't figure it out. Setting Pamela's to 4ppqn seems to make it better, but that sort of defeats the reason I bought it. I wanted something to bridge my systems between 24ppqn and 4ppqn.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm trying to understand your signal chain.
AR - Analog Rythm?
Tuesday - ?

Quote:
AR thru Yarns
the problem here is probably midi, not pamela.
Personally syncing my PC>midi>yarns>pamela isn't all that good either.
PC (Silentway Clock)>ADAT>ES-3>Pamela is PERFECT.
In your case you should get the pamela expander and sync your AR to the Pam via midi out...

and somehow your post went out of sync.
did you try using envelopes with low % width should act like a trigger (since there's no drop edge like on a gate)
Old 30th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I finished re-purposing the case and power supply that came with my GRP R24 sequencer. It now holds several 5U modules and is intended mainly as a processor for external inputs (mic'd acoustic instruments and other signal inputs etc) It has a full featured envelope follower (Modcan 45B), a complex LFO (Synthesizers.com Q167 LFO++), a complex EG/sequencer (Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator), a digital delay (Modcan 59B), and a resonant filter effect (Freestate FX Supra Resonator which is a 5U version of the Mutable Instruments Rings).

That looks great, nice job!
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

[QUOTE

Have you guys seen this:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady...ototype-silver[/QUOTE]

...and the black panel version:

I want to stick to my plan, cause I love it when a plan comes together. So first fill the case with Batumi and Contour....
But this one looks awesome. I think I have another plan....
Please SSF release the Bantam not before end of this year.
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Addict

And save some money for the patch cables
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
AR - Analog Rythm?
Tuesday - ?

In your case you should get the pamela expander and sync your AR to the Pam via midi out...

did you try using envelopes with low % width should act like a trigger (since there's no drop edge like on a gate)
Can also vouch for ES-3 clock. My cat even purrs in time when she's at the synth table.

I'm probably going to confuse my clocking shortly as I'm contemplating a Pyramid and Yarns. I want to be able to sequence everything from one place, and since getting the BSP have realised that I much prefer hardware sequencing to doing it in the DAW.

Pyramid > USB > poly VSTs
Pyramid > midi > hw synths
Pyramid > midi > Yarns > modules
Pyramid > CV > modules

Bitwig can be a clock slave now, so all good there. I've not figured out how to get clock into the rack though, if I want Yarns in 4 voice mode. I'm hoping that Bitwig can receive clock and still fire it out the ES-3 into the rack.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
AR - Analog Rythm?
Tuesday - ?

Clock goes AR (master) to Yarns to Pamela's. Works perfectly fine with Doepfer A-160 series dividers. I have no room or interest in putting anything else in that chain. Trying to optimize the case to be perfermance ready.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you guys seen this:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady...ototype-silver

...and the black panel version:

I want to stick to my plan, cause I love it when a plan comes together. So first fill the case with Batumi and Contour....
But this one looks awesome. I think I have another plan....
Please SSF release the Bantam not before end of this year.
Yeah I saw that pop up. I love my SSF modules and this looks like a really full featured semi. I'm not really in the market for a subtractive synth voice but if I was I would be all over this.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

hmm I detect a new trend emerging. The complete synth voice trend.

I wonder how many more makers will join in?

I was thinking about getting one too, the SE tonestar but in the end it, i had to make a choice.
Either 2 new oscs and some filters and a few other nice modules like 2 more mixers (manhattan). Or a synth voice. Or a karp module.

And I got a karp instead of the complete synth voice.
And then 3 new oscs, and filters and so on.

I want to keep the modular "modular" and I think a standalone synth is more versatile than a complete voice module. Maybe its just me?
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Clock goes AR (master) to Yarns to Pamela's. Works perfectly fine with Doepfer A-160 series dividers. I have no room or interest in putting anything else in that chain. Trying to optimize the case to be perfermance ready.
Update -- Looks like going from firmware 192 to 196 does the trick for Yarns. Unfortunately, that update completely broke the Deopfer A-190-8 as an option for clocking. The A-190-8 sort of worked with 192 but with 196 is always out of phase.
Old 30th June 2017
Lives for gear

One last thing about Pamela's, I'm also not able to clock anything from it faster than 4ppqn. Looking at it with a scope, it's gates seem to be ever so slightly ramped, not a pure up an down like Yarns. Ugh! Should have gone with the "if it's ain't broke" here.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search