The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

It is there.........Behringer D Analog Synthesizer Available To Pre-Order For $299.
Old 28th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
It is there.........Behringer D Analog Synthesizer Available To Pre-Order For $299.
Link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehringerD

And this is great news, since this 3 oscillator synth fits in eurorack, and with that pricepoint... wow!
Old 28th June 2017
For me this is outstanding:

Love the bass drum/bass and the warbling sequencer/pad.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Martin Dubka is the only live Eurorack Gigger i know that i can close my eyes and it sounds as if he's Dj-ing with vinyl,
his levels are all spot on, it sounds produced
Those were good performances at the Cymru Beats but in terms of audio quality yes Dubka was the better sounding one. I think this was due to the room PA system as well. I mean I don't think they had high quality PA speakers and the room was not acoustical treated I guess.

In these cases the more sounds you have going together the higher the chance it's going to sound not very clear.

The Ian Boddy & Nigel Mullaney set sounded quite good as well.
Mylar Melodies also sounded ok (talking about sound in the room, of course the performance was GOOD), his kick sounded good, just not as polished sounding as Dubka. Again this is down to room and PA system mainly as the performers are probably only hearing part of what the rest of the room hears

Probably the worst sounding performance in terms of sound was when Wisdom Water played. Good performance for sure, I liked it. But he did have more voices going on at the same time and the overall mix did not 'sound' good in that room. Good performance and tracks though.

Dubka nailed it. I noticed Dubka was the only one that performed wearing earphones I think. May be using earphones for cueing parts possibly before sending them live but I would think he also checks the overall sound of the mix so that it sounds good to him in his earphones? Yes is tracks were a bit more minimalistic but great tracks and great sound from that same PA system and room.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Martin Dubka's live at Aide 2013 which can be found on SoundCloud was super tight too, again as if he was using vinyl.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Blow me down with a feathery patch cable! That is cheap. I wonder how it does compare to the Roland SE-02. I guess it really depends whether you're after Moog or Roland. mmm... Both!
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've just googled this but thought I'd ask you guys as well. Isn't an attenuator just an amplifier control? And a Tri attenuator (like Triatt) a triple mixer, this is what I use it for. Also VCA's if you don't use CV is also just an attenuator or with sum a mixer. I often use Veils like a mixer and not just a VCA.

Attenuators just let you change the amplitude of one channel where a mixer lets you add them together. Unless the attenuator has a sum of all inputs, then it can be used as an attenuator and a mixer; a Triatt. And a VCA is also just an attenuator with CV control.
a vca is an active circuit with noise and distortion, a passive attenuator (just a pot) has no noise (except for the white noise created by the resistance itself, at like -130db or so).

Also check out mutable shades. I have a feeling its slightly better than the triatt. cleaner. it also does the attenuator/mixer/inverter/voltage offset thing

the voltage offset is actually quite useful. you can set it up for 5 or 10 volts, and then just sweep the knob and it will spit out between 0 and 10 volts.

Its also MUCH better looking than the triatt.
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/shades/
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have a maybe stupid question.

Do I have a need or use for a clock divider?

I have many oscs/filters/vcas/mixers/mults/lfos/adsrs and so on.

No drum modules at all.

For sequencing I have 1 beatstep, 1 sq1, 1 metro, and 1 stepper acid.

So what could I possibly use a clock divider for? I understand you can make weird drum patterns and so on but tonal/cv stuff??

Can someone explain the uses of these type of modules?
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post

No drum modules at all.

So what could I possibly use a clock divider for? I understand you can make weird drum patterns and so on but tonal/cv stuff??

A clock divider will not give you tonal/cv stuff but it can be useful even without drum triggering. For example you could trigger an LFO/Modulation/ADSR to start every so often, or maybe trigger a vca every 1/4 or 1/32 or 2/4 etc...
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Could I possibly fool one of either the metro or the stepper acid seqs to go slower than their normal slowest tempo?
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow. Blow me down with a feathery patch cable! That is cheap. I wonder how it does compare to the Roland SE-02. I guess it really depends whether you're after Moog or Roland. mmm... Both!
Well, the SE-02 won't be typical Roland. Some sort of moogish...
And the SE-02 has a sequencer, XMod and patch memory. Doesn't fit in your eurorack though..
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Think now I'm balls deep into modular I'm going to swap my Dom 1 for an Analog Keys. I'd get poly, which I don't have in hardware, the Elektron sequencer that I love for my modular voices, and FX/filtering via the AK ins.

The horrible, evil downside would be losing the Dom. It truly is a thing of beauty....

This might just be winetalk but it's making a lot of sense at the moment.

Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And the DeepMind desktop! That was sneaky. When did that happen? Not here in the UK yet.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeepMindMod
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Think now I'm balls deep into modular I'm going to swap my Dom 1 for an Analog Keys. I'd get poly, which I don't have in hardware, the Elektron sequencer that I love for my modular voices, and FX/filtering via the AK ins.

The horrible, evil downside would be losing the Dom. It truly is a thing of beauty....

This might just be winetalk but it's making a lot of sense at the moment.

I like my A4 keys, but I am having hard times when using it as a poly. It is prob. me....
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

No drum modules at all.

I got mine so I could do synced LFOs without taking up a channel of the BSP. Also when I want to use random on the BSP there was no guarantee that the clock would be stable since you can't apply random to a single drum. So I got the a160-2 but I fell in love with the whole concept so I got a QCD too. I know the mantra is "never too many VCAs" but for me it's trigger sources. I can use up trigger sources like crazy in my rig. Just Friends can take six by itself.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

No drum modules at all.

IMHO, it's difficult to see the usefulness of a clock divider/multiplier until you've used one in your system.

It doesn't need to trigger drums at all - as mentioned - trigger an LFO to reset, trigger an envelope for CV control or volume.

Mult your main clock source into the clock divider, then take the different outputs on the divider into the beatstep, different one for the SQ1, different one for metro, different one for stepper acid. Now you can have different, varying, but related rhythmic things going on in your system.

And yes, you could "trick" your Stepper Acid or Metro to go slower than normal by taking the /x of the divider. (and you know the Stepper Acid has multiple PPQ options, right?)
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
IMHO, it's difficult to see the usefulness of a clock divider/multiplier until you've used one in your system.

It doesn't need to trigger drums at all - as mentioned - trigger an LFO to reset, trigger an envelope for CV control or volume.

Mult your main clock source into the clock divider, then take the different outputs on the divider into the beatstep, different one for the SQ1, different one for metro, different one for stepper acid. Now you can have different, varying, but related rhythmic things going on in your system.

And yes, you could "trick" your Stepper Acid or Metro to go slower than normal by taking the /x of the divider. (and you know the Stepper Acid has multiple PPQ options, right?)
Everyone should have a clock divider in their system.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like my A4 keys, but I am having hard times when using it as a poly. It is prob. me....
In what way?
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Just wanted to say thanks to the Synth Gods for this thread. As GS implodes with toxic and petty Roland vs Behringer vs Moog wars, the modular community quietly moves forward... undeterred... and basically OVER IT.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehringerD

And this is great news, since this 3 oscillator synth fits in eurorack, and with that pricepoint... wow!
Did anyone get to pre-order then. By the time I looked it was gone. But I live in the UK anyway, so would have to pay import duty.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Everyone should have a clock divider in their system.
That's what I was told before and I bought a Pam's workout. I need to look back on the post but I still haven't got around to use it or figure out what it does - triggering envelopes and LFO's is what I thought.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
In what way?
Hmmm can't explain but my results are most of the times mehhh. Or to muddy or to thin...
It's like the 4 voices don't sound as 'one' . But again I am to blame I think...
After a few nights I gave up on the poly side of the A4.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's what I was told before and I bought a Pam's workout. I need to look back on the post but I still haven't got around to use it or figure out what it does - triggering envelopes and LFO's is what I thought.
I have the New Pam. I am only around 100 hp, but man...I could use allready 2 Pams. The triggers, LFO's and envelopes...fill up all those empty inputs
Just mess a little around and you have crazy modulation and randomness in a second. Not always usefull for your songs, but fun it is.
Old 29th June 2017
Not real without Hector sighting.
Old 29th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to the Synth Gods for this thread. As GS implodes with toxic and petty Roland vs Behringer vs Moog wars, the modular community quietly moves forward... undeterred... and basically OVER IT.
Yes sir. IMO you need an open and curious mind to take the modular dive. With this mindset there is less inherent skepticism, less vitriol, and less tin foil hats overall.

I WISH those companies would pull their heads out but my plan includes nothing from them at this point so like you said...moving on.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Feed it a clock man, then take the outs and trigger everything! (or I believe Pam's can also be the primary clock)

Even more interesting is to take a couple of the division outs and put into some cooky logic module.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Martin Dubka is the only live Eurorack Gigger i know that i can close my eyes and it sounds as if he's Dj-ing with vinyl,
his levels are all spot on, it sounds produced

The Future Music walkthrough of his live rig when he was still putting it together was one of the most important vids for me to see eurorack as something more musical.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on swapping my Audio Damage Sequencer 1 for the Eloquencer?

Anyone have one or both? What are any pros and cons?
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone use an Oberheim Two Voice Pro along with their Modular rig, or better yet - as the centerpiece?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search