The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th June 2017
  #4441
Is everyone here on Eurorack, or are there also people on the 4U format?
Old 26th June 2017
  #4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Is everyone here on Eurorack, or are there also people on the 4U format?
Oh great now we have to calculate how many 4U's to a Derp as well.
3
Share
Old 26th June 2017
  #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Is everyone here on Eurorack, or are there also people on the 4U format?
I'm also on Buchla.
In the past I've had vintage Polyfusion (technically 5U?) and Serge and Modcan (banana).
Old 26th June 2017
  #4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm also on Buchla.
In the past I've had vintage Polyfusion (technically 5U?) and Serge and Modcan (banana).
Cool! I'm looking to get into Serge, so doing the research now.
Kinda waiting for more info on the DIY set of http://www.73-75.com/
Old 26th June 2017
  #4445
Has anyone else noticed what setting Braids is on in videos in general? It seems to be on CSAW in every video I watch. I use that one but find myself using it on WTBL or one of the BYT settings...

What do you guys use your Braids for?
Old 26th June 2017
  #4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Cool! I'm looking to get into Serge, so doing the research now.
Kinda waiting for more info on the DIY set of http://www.73-75.com/
Those look amazing, but I can't jump formats now, I'm too deep in Euro...
Old 26th June 2017
  #4447
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Those look amazing, but I can't jump formats now, I'm too deep in Euro...
They aren't mutually exclusive










2
Share
Old 26th June 2017
  #4448
Kind of a pain to use together, although obviously possible.
Old 26th June 2017
  #4449
Gear Maniac
I'm really torn between the Epoch Twin Peak and the WMD Aperture (the return of)... I tried out the Twin Peak and the sound seemed just dreamy. Then again, the Aperture features much finer control. Both really nice, but I want to do it right this time. Anyone tried pinging the Aperture?
1
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4450
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
I'm really torn between the Epoch Twin Peak and the WMD Aperture (the return of)... I tried out the Twin Peak and the sound seemed just dreamy. Then again, the Aperture features much finer control. Both really nice, but I want to do it right this time. Anyone tried pinging the Aperture?
Tried "pinging" the Aperture tonight ... No deal or no envelope actually. I'll have to try my other filters, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that MMF worked that way. Should have known though since the input is labeled "ping".
Old 27th June 2017
  #4451
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
6
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4452
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Tried "pinging" the Aperture tonight ... No deal or no envelope actually. I'll have to try my other filters, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that MMF worked that way. Should have known though since the input is labeled "ping".
Thanks so much! The Epoch one sounds just great when pinged, but OTOH, I'm not sure how much one actually will ping in real life
Old 27th June 2017
  #4453
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Martin Dubka is the only live Eurorack Gigger i know that i can close my eyes and it sounds as if he's Dj-ing with vinyl,
his levels are all spot on, it sounds produced

2
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4454
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Has anyone else noticed what setting Braids is on in videos in general? It seems to be on CSAW in every video I watch. I use that one but find myself using it on WTBL or one of the BYT settings...

What do you guys use your Braids for?
CSAW is the default mode if you've never set it to anything else so I'd hazard a guess that's why you see so many on that in videos. I also like the wavetable modes. I like WMAP better than WTBL because of the smooth interpolation in 2 directions. WTx4 is probably my favorite mode. Wavetable chords can sound really awesome, especially through a LPF. I also like the ZLPF and ZBPF for when I'm using it as a complete voice and the FM modes are a great way to get those types of sounds without taking up the 3-4 modules it takes to get them otherwise. The other mode I've been playing around with is the flute mode. I don't think it sounds like a flute at all but it has a grainy noise to it that can be a great Rings exciter.
Old 27th June 2017
  #4455
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
CSAW is the default mode if you've never set it to anything else so I'd hazard a guess that's why you see so many on that in videos. I also like the wavetable modes. I like WMAP better than WTBL because of the smooth interpolation in 2 directions. WTx4 is probably my favorite mode. Wavetable chords can sound really awesome, especially through a LPF. I also like the ZLPF and ZBPF for when I'm using it as a complete voice and the FM modes are a great way to get those types of sounds without taking up the 3-4 modules it takes to get them otherwise. The other mode I've been playing around with is the flute mode. I don't think it sounds like a flute at all but it has a grainy noise to it that can be a great Rings exciter.
Yeah WTX4 is my favorite mode too. LFO into Timbre and Color
But Braids into Rings is ace!
Old 27th June 2017
  #4456
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
CSAW is the default mode if you've never set it to anything else so I'd hazard a guess that's why you see so many on that in videos. I also like the wavetable modes. I like WMAP better than WTBL because of the smooth interpolation in 2 directions. WTx4 is probably my favorite mode. Wavetable chords can sound really awesome, especially through a LPF. I also like the ZLPF and ZBPF for when I'm using it as a complete voice and the FM modes are a great way to get those types of sounds without taking up the 3-4 modules it takes to get them otherwise. The other mode I've been playing around with is the flute mode. I don't think it sounds like a flute at all but it has a grainy noise to it that can be a great Rings exciter.
Actually it was a bunch of pro vids I was commenting on, like the Cymru Beats stuff. Almost all of them used CSAW. I suspect it just makes a great basic synth voice so it gets used that way.
Old 27th June 2017
  #4457
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Nice track btw!
Old 27th June 2017
  #4458
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Martin Dubka is the only live Eurorack Gigger i know that i can close my eyes and it sounds as if he's Dj-ing with vinyl,
his levels are all spot on, it sounds produced

Colin Benders: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx7...wbJcGyQ/videos

2
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Yes Colin's modular work (much like Dubka) sounds quite musical and more like the smoothness of a dj rather than typical modular performances imo.
1
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4460
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
How the hell did I forget about Colin lol
1
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4461
And then also add Steevio to the list

2
Share
Old 27th June 2017
  #4462
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
When is the DP desktop being released? I feel I've been teased for too long. And the A-190-5 but isn't Yarns pretty much the same thing. Seems like Mutable just copied it.

Behringer Teases $899 DeepMind 12 Desktop Synthesizer – Synthtopia

http://www.doepfer.de/presse/Doepfer...2017_Press.pdf
Old 27th June 2017
  #4463
Gear Maniac
steevio is thee sheet!
My favorite pair of videos from him - first a really nice jam, then an explanation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8lR7Hkjyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM
Old 27th June 2017
  #4464
Old 27th June 2017
  #4465
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
I've just googled this but thought I'd ask you guys as well. Isn't an attenuator just an amplifier control? And a Tri attenuator (like Triatt) a triple mixer, this is what I use it for. Also VCA's if you don't use CV is also just an attenuator or with sum a mixer. I often use Veils like a mixer and not just a VCA.

Attenuators just let you change the amplitude of one channel where a mixer lets you add them together. Unless the attenuator has a sum of all inputs, then it can be used as an attenuator and a mixer; a Triatt. And a VCA is also just an attenuator with CV control.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-atatat.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-triatt.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-dvca.jpg  
Old 27th June 2017
  #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've just googled this but thought I'd ask you guys as well. Isn't an attenuator just an amplifier control? And a Tri attenuator (like Triatt) a triple mixer, this is what I use it for. Also VCA's if you don't use CV is also just an attenuator or with sum a mixer. I often use Veils like a mixer and not just a VCA.

Attenuators just let you change the amplitude of one channel where a mixer lets you add them together. Unless the attenuator has a sum of all inputs, then it can be used as an attenuator and a mixer; a Triatt. And a VCA is also just an attenuator with CV control.
This will give you a clear answer: https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/com...tors_that_mix/
Old 28th June 2017
  #4467
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
When is the DP desktop being released? I feel I've been teased for too long. And the A-190-5 but isn't Yarns pretty much the same thing. Seems like Mutable just copied it.

Behringer Teases $899 DeepMind 12 Desktop Synthesizer – Synthtopia

http://www.doepfer.de/presse/Doepfer...2017_Press.pdf
Well, Yarns has the advantage of being an actual product, the A-190-5 is still vaporware. I also doubt you could say Yarns is just a copy since it does so much more than the Doepfer probably ever will.
2
Share
Old 28th June 2017
  #4468
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Got a Plonk on order though, that sounds interesting for drums. Rings and Elements can do some very nice drums as well, in my opinion.
I'm really wanting a Plonk right now. I like MI stuff, but this module definitely speaks to me moreso. I don't think it's shipping yet is it?
Old 28th June 2017
  #4469
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, Yarns has the advantage of being an actual product, the A-190-5 is still vaporware. I also doubt you could say Yarns is just a copy since it does so much more than the Doepfer probably ever will.
Yeah, despite wanting to keep my system all-Doepfer, I passed on their MIDI>CV interfaces. They'll get the job done, but YARNS is so much better than anything Doepfer currently makes. So is the Kenton Modular Solo. What I particularly like about YARNS is the ability to use alternate scales and that handy little digital oscillator.

Btw from your sig I noticed you're at 1.7381 derps. Congrats!
2
Share
Old 28th June 2017
  #4470
Gear Addict
 
satansrobotho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I'm really wanting a Plonk right now. I like MI stuff, but this module definitely speaks to me moreso. I don't think it's shipping yet is it?
Not yet but very soon, is the word.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump