The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
When you say bad pot, what do you mean exactly? Is it responding at all, or just intermittently? Either way, I'd recommend trying to replace it yourself. Pots are easy to replace...It's hard to screw up and if you do, it's nothing that a DIYer couldn't fix later.
It does nothing when just plugged in normally. If you push in on the pitch pot (like it was a button instead of a knob) and hold it the module functions normally, sometimes. I gave up on this module, I don't care if it sits there forever really but I thought someone else could benefit from my snobbery since-

1. I screw up when I plug in the soldering iron.
2. My tech has gone MIA in the past year, so I hate modules that break- it has been fairly rare for me, this is the only non-DIY module ever to break.
3. I don't like EMW's "wait a month while I build it" model, so i have been irritated with this module from the start. I took it out of the live case plan a long time ago.

You might notice in my case plan that most of the manufacturers are either very well-known and highly regarded (Mutable, Intellijel) or fairly high-end (Endorphin.es, Audio Damage) stuff. This isn't because I order my modules from Pitchfork magazine, it's because I hate fvcking around with low-rent sh1t that doesn't actually do what it's supposed to because of whatever reason. When I was a bass player I used a Mesa-Boogie 400+ because I wanted something reliably awesome night after night and in 12 or so years of owning the thing it never once failed, never. It was $1600 new when it came out, twice as much as most bass heads and worth every penny. With modules this mentality translates into routinely purchasing modules that are more than 500 bucks without batting an eye. The 12U case (1.5 Derps if I have it right) will be almost $12k when I am done, over 13 counting the case. You get what you pay for and that particular (not dogging on the whole company) EMW module was just too cheap. I should have known better.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
I'm looking at the belgrad, is there somethign you don't like about it? LMK if and when you sell.

Also my case is only .75 derps so I wouldn't feel bad.
I guess the reasons are historical :D I have a pretty 'dense' case because I went through a prolonged phase of 'everything has to fit in 200HP'. So I realized I want a pretty hands-on, simple filter to offset all the menus and idiosyncrasies of the rest of my modules. So, too much options with the Belgrad?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
one row is 3U
so 12U is 4X84hp, 336hp
You're right.

Crap, I derped the Derp calculations.
Old 22nd June 2017
Got Chance and Freez in yesterday - love them!
First two experiments with them.

Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
You're right.

Crap, I derped the Derp calculations.
Well, there's still time before the next meeting of the Conférence générale des poids et mesures in Sèvres. So, no harm done. I will correct the application.

So, to be clear, 1 derp = 4 rows of 84hp = 336hp

Therefore, a Doepfer Mini-case would measure 0.0952 derps

When I have time, I'll make a small conversion chart for standard long format cases such as a Doepfer Monster Case. We also might want to consider a conversion chart for 5U systems.
Old 22nd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Well, there's still time before the next meeting of the Conférence générale des poids et mesures in Sèvres. So, no harm done. I will correct the application.

So, to be clear, 1 derp = 4 rows of 84hp = 336hp

Therefore, a Doepfer Mini-case would measure 0.0952 derps

When I have time, I'll make a small conversion chart for standard long format cases such as a Doepfer Monster Case. We also might want to consider a conversion chart for 5U systems.

My Doepfer Monster is 3 rows of 168hp so 6 rows of 84 so 1.5 Derps. Right?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
My Doepfer Monster is 3 rows of 168hp so 6 rows of 84 so 1.5 Derps. Right?
Right!
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It does nothing when just plugged in normally. If you push in on the pitch pot (like it was a button instead of a knob) and hold it the module functions normally, sometimes. I gave up on this module, I don't care if it sits there forever really but I thought someone else could benefit from my snobbery since-

1. I screw up when I plug in the soldering iron.
2. My tech has gone MIA in the past year, so I hate modules that break- it has been fairly rare for me, this is the only non-DIY module ever to break.
3. I don't like EMW's "wait a month while I build it" model, so i have been irritated with this module from the start. I took it out of the live case plan a long time ago.

You might notice in my case plan that most of the manufacturers are either very well-known and highly regarded (Mutable, Intellijel) or fairly high-end (Endorphin.es, Audio Damage) stuff. This isn't because I order my modules from Pitchfork magazine, it's because I hate fvcking around with low-rent sh1t that doesn't actually do what it's supposed to because of whatever reason. When I was a bass player I used a Mesa-Boogie 400+ because I wanted something reliably awesome night after night and in 12 or so years of owning the thing it never once failed, never. It was $1600 new when it came out, twice as much as most bass heads and worth every penny. With modules this mentality translates into routinely purchasing modules that are more than 500 bucks without batting an eye. The 12U case (1.5 Derps if I have it right) will be almost $12k when I am done, over 13 counting the case. You get what you pay for and that particular (not dogging on the whole company) EMW module was just too cheap. I should have known better.
If I fix it would you still use it, cuz in that case I would just give it a go and send it back if its works, but if not I'll buy. Same with the turing, although more tempted to straight buy that one. Let's PM?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post

Nice. Now you've got me sizing a Euro drum rack again.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not full yet, but I've got enough rail to build out 12ux84. So I'll be going full derp soon.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Nice track, the one that features Chance

But ****, looks like I have sort of a wishlist now
- Batumi
- Dinky Taiko
- Chance
- Contour

Btw Can you mention the modules you used for the first track? Any 'real' drumvoices involved?
Old 23rd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Nice track, the one that features Chance

But ****, looks like I have sort of a wishlist now
- Batumi
- Dinky Taiko
- Chance
- Contour

Btw Can you mention the modules you used for the first track? Any 'real' drumvoices involved?
Thanks. Loquelic Iteritas does some of it, but most of the drumming is from Bitbox. I use a Maschine Mikro with various samples, make beat loops with that, import it into the Bitbox, and mangle it in there (and further into the modular system labyrinth). The other modules, can't remember, Contour, Chance, Freez, Piston Honda 2, some delays and whatnot. I've found drum modules to be quite underwhelming, to be honest. Fun to use, but they just don't sound all that good, in my opinion.

Got a Plonk on order though, that sounds interesting for drums. Rings and Elements can do some very nice drums as well, in my opinion.

Also, while talking about Contour, be aware that it re-triggers (so hard resets to 0 volt) if you send it a gate/trig before it has completed a cycle, which in turn can make it sound quite clicky with certain VCAs. Intellijel Quadra doesn't behave like that, if you don't want the clicking. It clicks less with low pass gates though, it seems. Be sure to read through the Contour thread on Muffs before buying.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...d455ae44f4d4b5
Old 23rd June 2017
First hours with the Moffenzeef GMO.
Amazing!
I'm going to try and input some of my own samples this afternoon.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
First hours with the Moffenzeef GMO.
Amazing!
I'm going to try and input some of my own samples this afternoon.
Oooh, I'm jelly! I'm loving Moffenzeef's stuff so far. Kriket is weird in a good way, and Muskrat is just so angry. A GMO and a Deviant would make me SOOO happy!
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
So, how does this relate to 5U? With all my little eurorack systems combined I don't even have one Derp's worth but maybe I can join the club with my 5U stuff?
Considering the density of functions, the cost ratio, and the shear size of the modules, I'd be inclined to say that 32 spaces can give you a good varied system the way that 336hp in Euro can give you a competent system. So maybe 32 MU spaces equate to one AmeriDerp?
Old 23rd June 2017
Quote:
A GMO and a Deviant would make me SOOO happy!
Yeah, I now want a Deviant.
The GMO factory sounds are awesome, but I really want to put my own samples in it. Looks like you need a degree in computing to do it though.

Guess I'll give it a go this weekend.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering the density of functions, the cost ratio, and the shear size of the modules, I'd be inclined to say that 32 spaces can give you a good varied system the way that 336hp in Euro can give you a competent system. So maybe 32 MU spaces equate to one AmeriDerp?
MU doesn't get a monopoly on AmeriModules. My avatar demands Buchla series modules also get to play

...Although now that I think about it, anyone with a Derp of Buchla is probably 1%er scum who only use it as a backdrop to take selfies with their super model girlfriends.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

what's the width system for 5u? (edit: 8wide is 19".. OK)

and the Beatstep Pro just got a V2.0 update
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-to-version-2/
I might give that a shot now.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 23rd June 2017 at 07:09 PM..
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
MU doesn't get a monopoly on AmeriModules. My avatar demands Buchla series modules also get to play

...Although now that I think about it, anyone with a Derp of Buchla is probably 1%er scum who only use it as a backdrop to take selfies with their super model girlfriends.
...so Deadmau5?
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yeah, I now want a Deviant.
The GMO factory sounds are awesome, but I really want to put my own samples in it. Looks like you need a degree in computing to do it though.

Guess I'll give it a go this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffenzeef
NØTE

This prøcess typically takes newcømers abøut a half høur tø up tø an høur tø cømplete dependent øn previøus experience. Please be patient and read carefully. We really appreciate all the hard wørk yøu're putting in tø try sømething new and challenge yøurself! Pat yøurself øn the back!
Yeah, complicated samplers like this are why my Radio Music has one bank and one bank only for the rest of its life (unless I decide to put in their new firmware that takes .wavs). Are you trying to get drum sounds into it, or looped oscillator sounds?
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Everyone, and I mean everyone save ImNotDedYet is all praise concerning the Three Sisters, but I haven't found many demos that really sound great.
I love three sisters. I Just don't think its really a creamy filter
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I pretty much said the same thing in my post. I tried to explain a bit cause not everyone's idea of "creamy" is the same other than being the opposite of "screamy". For me it's mostly the quality of resonance.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Yeah, that came across - I just think I genuinely have never seen so much "negative" comments concerning the filter :D It's all positive, all the way.

FWIW, I tried one today and didn't really get on with it at first wiggle. The architecture is a bit confusing and maybe the character isn't what I'm looking for. But it's definitely unique and probably everyone who spends a bit more time with it will be very happy.
Old 23rd June 2017
Quote:
Are you trying to get drum sounds into it, or looped oscillator sounds?
At the moment I'll use it for drum/percussive sounds.
Will probably experiment with melodic loops or tones later on.

Loading in the various factory soundsets seems simple, but I really want to mess up my own drum samples.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Yeah, that came across - I just think I genuinely have never seen so much "negative" comments concerning the filter :D It's all positive, all the way.

FWIW, I tried one today and didn't really get on with it at first wiggle. The architecture is a bit confusing and maybe the character isn't what I'm looking for. But it's definitely unique and probably everyone who spends a bit more time with it will be very happy.
It's definitely not "as immediate" of a filter as most. But, there are a lot of really cool options with it, and it's probably one of the more flexible filters out there too. The combinations you can do with the multiple individual inputs as well as outputs, and the resonance is really a lot of fun.

But, it can be pinged very well, function as a typical filter or even produce very nice sine waves.

It doesn't help that the "manual" is a bit archaic too, some might call it whimsical.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

this week I got a morphagen and a pair of CP3 mixers, and my case is finally full.
I have the E370 on order, and I'm gonna dump the erica wavetable and some doepfer modules to make room for it.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/451395

I wouldn't mind making room for the ER301, but no idea on what to bump to find 30hp. I'd have to go bigger..
a full AJH minimod voice was in the original plan, but I should do it in 5U, I dunno. i've got a voyager, it's probably not necessary.
there's tons of fun to be had with what I've got so I shouldn't even worry about 'next' plans for a while at least.
I should just stop looking at modules for a while.

Pretty much just realized a long term plan. what a weight off my shoulders.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 23rd June 2017 at 10:39 PM..
Old 23rd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
this week I got a morphagen and a pair of CP3 mixers, and my case is finally full.
I have the E370 on order, and I'm gonna dump the erica wavetable and some doepfer modules to make room for it.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/451395

I wouldn't mind making room for the ER301, but no idea on what to bump to find 30hp. I'd have to go bigger..
a full AJH minimod voice was in the original plan, but I should do it in 5U, I dunno. i've got a voyager, it's probably not necessary.
there's tons of fun to be had with what I've got so I shouldn't even worry about 'next' plans for a while at least.
I should just stop looking at modules for a while.

Pretty much just realized a long term plan. what a weight off my shoulders.
Dude. Your setup is quite impressive. Makes sense too. If you're finished realizing your vision then it's time to make a few records, or at least some song videos. Kudos to a job well done, now make something you want to put on vinyl!
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
now make something you want to put on vinyl!
last thing I got mastered came out last month.
vinyl is in the works!

been working on other things, a 'not full modular' hasn't been slowing me down.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks. Loquelic Iteritas does some of it, but most of the drumming is from Bitbox. I use a Maschine Mikro with various samples, make beat loops with that, import it into the Bitbox, and mangle it in there (and further into the modular system labyrinth). The other modules, can't remember, Contour, Chance, Freez, Piston Honda 2, some delays and whatnot. I've found drum modules to be quite underwhelming, to be honest. Fun to use, but they just don't sound all that good, in my opinion.

Got a Plonk on order though, that sounds interesting for drums. Rings and Elements can do some very nice drums as well, in my opinion.

Also, while talking about Contour, be aware that it re-triggers (so hard resets to 0 volt) if you send it a gate/trig before it has completed a cycle, which in turn can make it sound quite clicky with certain VCAs. Intellijel Quadra doesn't behave like that, if you don't want the clicking. It clicks less with low pass gates though, it seems. Be sure to read through the Contour thread on Muffs before buying.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...d455ae44f4d4b5
Ahhh thanks for the info. I'll read the thread on Muffs...
I have Veils for vca duties....
Old 24th June 2017
Lives for gear

Happy birthday to me off the wife

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search