The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
To me, that sounds like a big case there. I don't spend nearly as much time on Muff's as I should considering how much modular I have, but the general vibe I got from seeing a few systems is that anything more than four rows is a large system. Four rows is kind of the upper limit of a small to medium case. After that point, I'll admit it becomes hard to manage.
When you guys say "rows" you mean rows of 84hp right? My case is 6 rows, so it is big by personal case standards but barely holds enough to make a comprehensive live rig (with no external devices). But yeah it's kinda hard to manage at the same time. I often "forget" about modules that get buried under spaghetti, etc.

I lurk at muffs but get way more out of interacting here. The only ppl at muffs who answer my posts are ppl who are on this thread anyway. This place is a way better for community for me. I don't have a star on my belly though.

Honestly lately I get most of my inspiration for what I want my modular to be from YouTube these days (no offense guys). Between all the modular festivals footage, DivKid, and Colin Benders' live streams there is so much to consider, and ultimately hearing is believing...
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me, that sounds like a big case there. I don't spend nearly as much time on Muff's as I should considering how much modular I have, but the general vibe I got from seeing a few systems is that anything more than four rows is a large system. Four rows is kind of the upper limit of a small to medium case. After that point, I'll admit it becomes hard to manage.
I meant that statistic more as "number of modules" rather than "size of case". Actually, I have things broken up into three separate systems: one with 5 rows of 84hp (15U + 6U), another with 2 rows (6U), and one portable 3U case whose modules get switched out depending on what I'm working on. That would be four cases all together.

Then I've got 4 Doepfer minicases on top of that--two of which have modules more or less permanently installed, and two others which I like to keep free for experimental combinations of modules or simply to test them quickly before deciding where they'll go. This might be a strange way of working, I don't know. But I enjoy assembling temporary mini-systems for specific tasks, then disassembling them.

About Muff's... I mostly just lurk there. Being Doepfer only, there's not a whole lot I can contribute except when Doepfer modules come up--which is often--but usually in the context of "how does it compare to..." and I've nothing to compare to.

For more interaction with other users, I tried the Doepfer Yahoo mailing list thing for awhile, but that is SO 90s!

Last edited by maisonvague; 21st June 2017 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
When you guys say "rows" you mean rows of 84hp right?
For me, yes. One row is 84hp.
Old 21st June 2017
/prays for a subforum once again...
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say 200-400 hp (3-5 rows depending on width) is an average mature system. Mature meaning - used enough that nothing is really missing and can be used for a range of sounds and approaches. Deopfer systems skew higher. The MN shared system is just below 200 with the blanks and that's their take on "done" knowing full well buyers will find something to fill those holes.

I'm right around 300 but I'm still using the BSP for sequencing and external effects. I think if you're doing drums, sequencing and efx in modular, you're going to be pushing 400+ to get to "done". Anyhow this is my modular grid as of now. Neuron is boxed up. If anyone's interested in it send me a PM.

Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'd say 200-400 hp (3-5 rows depending on width) is an average mature system. Mature meaning - used enough that nothing is really missing and can be used for a range of sounds and approaches. Deopfer systems skew higher. The MN shared system is just below 200 with the blanks and that's their take on "done" knowing full well buyers will find something to fill those holes.

I'm right around 300 but I'm still using the BSP for sequencing and external effects. I think if you're doing drums, sequencing and efx in modular, you're going to be pushing 400+ to get to "done". Anyhow this is my modular grid as of now. Neuron is boxed up. If anyone's interested in it send me a PM.

Dude, where's, like, all your VCAs?
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Off the modular tip to fixed synth. When is the Behringer DM desktop being released? It seems like forever since it was aired at Superbooth.

Anyway this Roland and Studio Electronics collaboration looks interesting, if you can look past the bad marketing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYLloIcu7us
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Dude, where's, like, all your VCAs?
Tangled Quartet, Ripples internal, Optomix and I rarely use all of them. I usually just patch 2 or 3 voices and lots of drums which don't really need any VCAs. I'm not really enough of a composer to really know what to do with more than bass/lead/pad lines. As far as future purchases I think it'll be something like the WMD Performance Mixer or Verbos Pan and Scan with pan and stereo outs rather than you're typical VCA. Then I would dedicate Tangled to CV modulation.
Old 22nd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
The Living VCOs are in a league of their own IMO. They FM gorgeously way up into high ranges and keep very pure fat sound in the low end. Each VCO holds its own against my Cwejman stuff and FMs even better. The PWM is killer too. Best standard analog VCO in euro imo.
Your endorsement has me curious (since I hold you personally [at least partially] responsible for my adventures in this realm) , will research. Something tells me it's DIY if you are bothering with it though.

Edit: "Due to the added features, part count and density are very high on this board - this is not a project suitable for beginners. Any information given here is preliminary and subject to change - please compare against Jürgen's original documentation and do not simply rely on the files here."
Oh hell no.
I'll stick with the AJH.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your endorsement has me curious (since I hold you personally [at least partially] responsible for my adventures in this realm) , will research. Something tells me it's DIY if you are bothering with it though.

Edit: "Due to the added features, part count and density are very high on this board - this is not a project suitable for beginners. Any information given here is preliminary and subject to change - please compare against Jürgen's original documentation and do not simply rely on the files here."
Oh hell no.
I'll stick with the AJH.
That bit of copy sounds scarier than it is. Its not that bad.

I brought it up in my post #4183 in your reply to your thoughts about verbos, and suggestion of endorphin.es

Depending on how the build goes, I may be convinced to make a few for fellow gs-ers (maisonvague having expressed interest)

oops: meant to
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12680139-post4183.html
Old 22nd June 2017
Any of you DIY dudes want some fixer upper modules cheap let me know-

EMW T-Drum (bad pot)
Turing Machine MKI Expanded with Bytes, Voltages, and Pulses on a Magpie faceplate. (not sure but something with the fuse I think)

I can't look at them anymore and they will never be repaired by me. PM.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
All purchases are on hold until the Eloquencer comes out though, got caught with no money last time.

Current Proposed order of purchases:
Eloquencer
The Eloquencerwas in stock for about 6 mins today...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVnUOI9B...=ctrlmod&hl=en
did you grab one?
Old 22nd June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
The Eloquencerwas in stock for about 6 mins today...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVnUOI9B...=ctrlmod&hl=en
did you grab one?
No, I'm on the mailing list for Winter-Modular's next run of them in August, didn't know to follow every shop on every social media thingy...

On this topic, I'm getting bored waiting until then so might spring for the flxs-1 in the meantime once something sells, posting modules on GS classifieds tomorrow maybe.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Aw man, I've missed you guys! And my modular! My studio is in state of teardown for some work on my house, and long story short - my just paid off car bit the dust and I've been car shopping. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
so in trying to find a dual vcf that isn't the korgasmatron, I'm see a lot of "THREE SISTERS YOU FOOL! BUY BUY BUY". and saw that some of you gents here are stoked on it.

I see that its a unique take on a vcf and does some really cool screamy, sine-y self oscing, spready squelch and all, which is great, but can it, like, filter normalz like? Would still want some creamyness to just just standard low pass duties, non of the demo's seem to show that, its all a bit too squelchy and not a lot of low end, mainly due to not the best recording.
I wouldn't call Three Sisters a creamy filter. It's a fantastic filter and it can really do a lot of things, and great. Sine wave outputs, pinging, and obviously filter capabilities. But for cream, I'd look elsewhere, like the Belgrad. I heard many a demo of that getting far more cream than three sisters.

Another under the radar dual band filter that I think sounds lovely is the Twin Peaks. There are two versions, and someone mentioned it. I think the one with a Dutch name is the original and what I regard to be the better sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
So I know this is "The Modular Thread" and all...but that said, are there any "fixed" architecture synths you still like?

So, are there any synths you find complementing your modular?
I'm a big fan for poly fixed architecture synths to complement the many mono lines I may have going in my modular. My OB-6 is still my favorite, but I've also got an Alpha Juno 2, Chroma Polaris, (was my first synth, so had to revisit now that I know how to actually synthesize things) and TG-77 as well as MS-20 mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
leaning towards three sisters for now.

Emily's vids have been posted here before I think, but can't help reposting

Emily's music and my soul seem to get along very well. And that's my favorite video from her. She does a great job of demoing some nice musical uses from a modular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Ok so then 2 basilimus, because they are dope? What's a GOOD VCF you would throw in here?
Also I am going to be building this slowly, one or two modules at a time. So learning them won't be a problem, so I'll take of one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Hi,
I have a Basimilus Alter on my shopping list too but right now I am doing without it, I do not own one right now. I want to see what the Percido can do . Then maybe combine the Alter with the Percido or only get the percido. But that is because I already have other drum sources...
I guess one Basimilus Alter to start with will not be a mistake. Maybe get one and get familiar with it... so you will be able to decide what you want to use it for (most times) and what to put next to it to complement it
Indeed the Basimilus are dope. You can get mad percussion sounds from them, but you can also get non-percussion sounds. I don't know if I'd double up on it though - maybe add a Neuron instead of a second BA.

Quote:
Fantom G and MPC obviously because I love sampling the modular into them. Only other fixed architecture synth I have now is a Virus TI2, but I don't use it as a complement for the modular, but rather a replacement. Modular and sampling gets me everything I need, but I like the Virus for stuff I need to put together quickly. It's super fast to program what you need on it and sketch out ideas, and it can cover most every base. It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none type of synth, but in a pinch, it does it all good enough to work with.
With my studio in disarray, I've got the MPC 1000 on my ottoman. I really dig using that thing and "re-discovering" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Do all you 'big case' guys use any non-modular synths as well?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'm not sure if 24U x 84hp qualifies me as a "big case guy" (should we start a scale--you know, kinda like the Richter scale--maybe call it the Derp scale? "My modular measures 3.5 on the Derp scale". lol @Derp Hope you don't mind the teasing! Love you, man! You're an inspiration to me! ) ...

...anyway, I rely on fixed-architecture synths for polyphonic work especially. Polyphony is certainly possible on my system, but it's cumbersome with a lot of patching involved (hoping to remedy that soon with a new Doepfer Quad VCO...). I also have a few vintage polysynths with unique tone that would be very difficult (if not impossible) to emulate fully in modular (eg Jupiter-4, OB-Xa, Prophet-5).

Basically, I enjoy using both modular and fixed-architecture synths.
Since I have 21U with 6U at 104hp and think I kind of have a gawdy system, you're huge man!
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I propose that 1 Derp = 12U at 84hp, so maisonvague has 2 Derps of modular.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Brilliant. I will begin preparing the application for the next meeting of the Conférence générale des poids et mesures (General Conference on Weights and Measures).
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Impressions from this year's Happy Knobbing

Impressions from this year's Happy Knobbing in Fischbach, Germany.
I recorded a little impro on Friday at the event and added some video footage from the rooms.

Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does that scale with > 84hp rows? For instance, 12U at 104hp?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
How does that scale with > 84hp rows? For instance, 12U at 104hp?
12x84=1008, so 1 unit of Derpitude can be expressed as actual HP, too.

In the case of 12U at 104hp, that's 1248 HP, or 1.238 Derps.

If you're wondering why Derp's total HP isn't used as the definition of 1 unit of Derpitude, it's because Derp himself Is among the derpiest of Derps, and it's a moving target, so the International Commission of Derpage agreed on a compromise that seems to fit the widest audience in the modular world, and after careful consideration they landed on the idea that 12U at 84hp is it.
Old 22nd June 2017
84 hp of Erica Synths Pico would be a monster system.
84 hp of Moog Mothers, not as much.

It's all relative.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

True. I'm sure one reason my system is larger than some others is because it's all Doepfer, with very few multi-function modules. Personally, I like this approach. But it does take up more space and require more patching.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you're wondering why Derp's total HP isn't used as the definition of 1 unit of Derpitude, it's because Derp himself Is among the derpiest of Derps, and it's a moving target, so the International Commission of Derpage agreed on a compromise that seems to fit the widest audience in the modular world, and after careful consideration they landed on the idea that 12U at 84hp is it.
Don't forget about Derpocity which is a delta V that measures the change in speed at which a system is expanded by 1 derp.

I heard aphex twin is working with NASA to run some calculations on his system.

Last edited by BenDayho; 22nd June 2017 at 07:21 PM..
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

1 row is 3U
so 12U is 4X84hp, 336hp

I'm at 2derps.

and I'm pretty stocked about this arriving today
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
EMW T-Drum (bad pot)
When you say bad pot, what do you mean exactly? Is it responding at all, or just intermittently? Either way, I'd recommend trying to replace it yourself. Pots are easy to replace, especially when they're done like this:

It's hard to screw up and if you do, it's nothing that a DIYer couldn't fix later.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

For so many reasons I love this. Four rows is exactly how I would define it. Also, it just happens to be the maximum I'll try to power from one uZeus.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
True. I'm sure one reason my system is larger than some others is because it's all Doepfer, with very few multi-function modules. Personally, I like this approach. But it does take up more space and require more patching.
Dude, if I had to pick one manufacturer to build a system out of, it would be a tossup between Doepfer and EMW, so I think you picked pretty well. Doepfer is the classic manufacturer; they cover most of the major synthesis bases, they're affordable, and even their cheapest modules sound really freakin' good.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you say bad pot, what do you mean exactly? Is it responding at all, or just intermittently? Either way, I'd recommend trying to replace it yourself. Pots are easy to replace, especially when they're done like this:

It's hard to screw up and if you do, it's nothing that a DIYer couldn't fix later.
Cool picture, if I do say so myself! Off topic I know, but this one is interesting because this EMW T-Drum module was deeper than stated on their website and when I got it I found it wouldn't fit into my shallow case. I remedied the situation by moving the power connector to the top side of the board but since there wasn't room for it I used a narrower 5 pin MTA-100 connector instead.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, how does this relate to 5U? With all my little eurorack systems combined I don't even have one Derp's worth but maybe I can join the club with my 5U stuff?
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Maniac
A meager point seven derps here.

Although it must be said that I have the case space for 1.238 Derps, so I think I'm not going to stay at a stable 0.7 for long.

About filters - I think I'll get rid of my Belgrad to get a WMD Aperture (back :( ) or the VCF-74, which sounds absolutely great. Everyone, and I mean everyone save ImNotDedYet is all praise concerning the Three Sisters, but I haven't found many demos that really sound great.
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
A meager point seven derps here.

Although it must be said that I have the case space for 1.238 Derps, so I think I'm not going to stay at a stable 0.7 for long.

About filters - I think I'll get rid of my Belgrad to get a WMD Aperture (back :( ) or the VCF-74, which sounds absolutely great. Everyone, and I mean everyone save ImNotDedYet is all praise concerning the Three Sisters, but I haven't found many demos that really sound great.
I'm looking at the belgrad, is there somethign you don't like about it? LMK if and when you sell.

Also my case is only .75 derps so I wouldn't feel bad.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search