The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
This case is looking badass!

Wait, can I buy your uScale II when your ready? No rush.

I'm also really interested if the living vco will hold its own against 3x ajh. We should do a comparison at some point. Once I get my kit in and start building it that is.
Yes you can buy the uscale. Listen to Colin Benders for hearing AJH in context.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yes you can buy the uscale. Listen to Colin Benders for hearing AJH in context.
Yea the live streams are great, need to catchup on those.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Still gas-ing for one of these, not a lot of love on MW (or here) but sounds pretty great.

Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still gas-ing for one of these, not a lot of love on MW (or here) but sounds pretty great.

I get the same with the Aperture. No one listens to me . If I had the space, the VCF-74 would be my next filter. It's just damn expensive but I could go the Juno route.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I get the same with the Aperture. No one listens to me . If I had the space, the VCF-74 would be my next filter. It's just damn expensive but I could go the Juno route.
The WMD or the RYO?
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This case is looking badass!

Wait, can I buy your uScale II when your ready? No rush.

I'm also really interested if the living vco will hold its own against 3x ajh. We should do a comparison at some point. Once I get my kit in and start building it that is.
The Living VCOs are in a league of their own IMO. They FM gorgeously way up into high ranges and keep very pure fat sound in the low end. Each VCO holds its own against my Cwejman stuff and FMs even better. The PWM is killer too. Best standard analog VCO in euro imo.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
The Living VCOs are in a league of their own IMO. They FM gorgeously way up into high ranges and keep very pure fat sound in the low end. Each VCO holds its own against my Cwejman stuff and FMs even better. The PWM is killer too. Best standard analog VCO in euro imo.

you just got me real jazzed to build mine now, thnx for that.

Not that I wasn't already, but still.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Do all you 'big case' guys use any non-modular synths as well?
Old 20th June 2017
three new ACL (formerly AQA) modules from Berlin
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Yes, for polyphonic. (Waldorf Microwave XT, SE Omega 8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Alpha Juno 1) No plans to expand that any time soon. Enough instruments to explore a lifetime. My focus is now on modular. It needs a total reorganisation.
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

A new Roland boutique:SE02.
SE stands for Studio Electronics........
Yeah it is a colab. Between Roland and SE.
Very curious........
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

........The SE-02 is the first product of a planned Roland Boutique Designer Series. The SE-02 uses discrete analog circuitry to create a synthesizer with a vintage sound & vast programming options. It features lots of knobs and switches for immediate control, plus an onboard sequencer........
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

Ok not eurorack.....but yeah it has CV.....
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yes, for polyphonic. (Waldorf Microwave XT, SE Omega 8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Alpha Juno 1) No plans to expand that any time soon. Enough instruments to explore a lifetime. My focus is now on modular. It needs a total reorganisation.
Makes sense. I use Omni 2 for poly stuff but more and more my Dom 1 is starting to feel like a bit of a spare part, as much as I love it. My instinct is always to start patching the modular and then I think "oh yeah, I've got this great mono here".
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
A new Roland boutique:SE02.
SE stands for Studio Electronics........
Yeah it is a colab. Between Roland and SE.
Very curious........
holy **** it sounds great
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Makes sense. I use Omni 2 for poly stuff but more and more my Dom 1 is starting to feel like a bit of a spare part, as much as I love it. My instinct is always to start patching the modular and then I think "oh yeah, I've got this great mono here".
got that with the Arp Axxe sitting on the shelf
time to give it some attention
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Guru

Old 20th June 2017
I hate Roland. Hate. Like if I met Roland on the street I'd slap him smartly with my glove, call him an ingrate and challenge him to a duel. Seriously. I think I'm ready to say that Roland has completely jumped the shark. Shame. SHAME.

Last edited by slaughtrhaus; 20th June 2017 at 05:00 PM..
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Too many ADSRVCA's maybe. Also, maybe a few too many VCO's. I to tend to over orchestrate also though. Most of the live stuff I've seen is pretty simple. Like I mentioned, I saw a 45m set of nothing but a Basimilus Iteritas and a TipTop One with filters and effects. I'd also keep the quantizer. Even with a good sequencer, they're extremely useful for taming randomness in a patch.

As for the TipTop One, I don't understand that one vs. a Disting Mk4. Clocked sample playback on the Disting is just so fscking amazing. I haven't found anything else yet that can sync playback of a sample loop so well in the modular world.
Missed this yesterday, getting to it now.

Each one of those little ADSRVCA's is a modulation powerhouse along with being a simple utility module. They are just great for the size. VCO's maybe 1 more AJH for 4-part chords, but with Braids, Rings, Furthrrrr and 3 AJH I think I will be able to do most of the music I want to.

If the sample playback is better on the Disting then I would be interested in checking it out maybe, but I don't like the concept of Disting in general. It's been in a few case plans but I really hate modules with too many functions for the most part. Too small, too fiddly. Can you elaborate on the differences (besides all the other stuff Disting does)? I just need one simple little sample player for stuff that would be hard to make in my case...
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The WMD or the RYO?
WMD Aperture; from tame to total acid.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
WMD Aperture; from tame to total acid.
Thats what I thought, yea on my dual filters under consideration list.

Also... its more expensive than the vcf-74!
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Do you have like 9 foot cables? WHAT IS THIS? A MODULAR FOR GIRAFFES?
Luckily, I happened to have some ten footers from before I even started modular. ...what the hell I had them for, is the question I have yet to figure out, though.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think we just had someone ask this, so I won't elaborate too much on my choices since I could swear I just answered this question:

Roland Fantom G6 - Sampling the modular and playing polyphonically
Akai MPC5000 - Sample playback and occasionally sampling the modular for percussive sounds and one-shots.
Access Virus TI2 - Projects where time is an issue, so the modular is completely excluded from the process.
Akai MPC1000 w/JJOS2XL - Pairs well with the Virus for quick and dirty work, and I'll use it for composing metal songs where I record the guitar riffs into the MPC as I write the song and sequence and Alesis DM10.
Renoise - Another one of those places where I can compose quick and dirty, but a different vibe than the MPC/Virus combo since Renoise's workflow tends to lend to more simplistic compositions than ZTracker.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure!
Roland Integra-7, MKS-50, some samplers
Yamaha FS1R, TX81z, RM1X
Mellotron M4000D
Novation Ultranova
Korg microStation
Moog MiniMoog, Sub Phatty, MinitMoog
maybe some others I'm forgetting . . .
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks. I think it's probably a thing for me because I don't want a big setup, so any kind of redundancy irritates me. It's one of the things I like about modular, you can add stuff but it's still just one thing.

I have modular + mono + drum machine at the moment. Modular + poly + drum machine makes more sense, but I like Omni 2 so much I can't see me buying a hardware poly.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. I think it's probably a thing for me because I don't want a big setup, so any kind of redundancy irritates me. It's one of the things I like about modular, you can add stuff but it's still just one thing.

I have modular + mono + drum machine at the moment. Modular + poly + drum machine makes more sense, but I like Omni 2 so much I can't see me buying a hardware poly.
I like both modular and fixed arch stuff equally, the trick is to balance them both in a hybrid set up, currently I have 1 mono, 2 poly plus modular, but am looking at buying one more different mono that has a unique sound, happy to spend a bit on it, looking at analog solutions stuff again heavily and might lean that way..
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I like both modular and fixed arch stuff equally, the trick is to balance them both in a hybrid set up, currently I have 1 mono, 2 poly plus modular, but am looking at buying one more different mono that has a unique sound, happy to spend a bit on it, looking at analog solutions stuff again heavily and might lean that way..
Yeah, I think it's because I don't have shed loads of gear. It's weird, but because my setup is very stripped back I notice if something is being neglected, and I don't like it. I'm hammering my modular and AR, and I am using my Dom 1, but it feels a tad unnecessary alongside my modular oscs and Mother... If it was a poly it would probably sit better with me, because it would be unique in my setup.
Old 21st June 2017
My hardware synths have a sound that would be hard to replicate in modular.
They are the sum of their parts.
Working on a hardwired mono or polysynth is a completely different experience to modular.
There will always be a place for both in my studio.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure if 24U x 84hp qualifies me as a "big case guy" (should we start a scale--you know, kinda like the Richter scale--maybe call it the Derp scale? "My modular measures 3.5 on the Derp scale". lol @Derp Hope you don't mind the teasing! Love you, man! You're an inspiration to me! ) ...

...anyway, I rely on fixed-architecture synths for polyphonic work especially. Polyphony is certainly possible on my system, but it's cumbersome with a lot of patching involved (hoping to remedy that soon with a new Doepfer Quad VCO...). I also have a few vintage polysynths with unique tone that would be very difficult (if not impossible) to emulate fully in modular (eg Jupiter-4, OB-Xa, Prophet-5).

Basically, I enjoy using both modular and fixed-architecture synths.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'm not sure if 24U x 84hp qualifies me as a "big case guy" (should we start a scale--you know, kinda like the Richter scale--maybe call it the Derp scale? "My modular measures 3.5 on the Derp scale". lol @Derp Hope you don't mind the teasing! Love you, man! You're an inspiration to me! ) ...
To me, that sounds like a big case there. I don't spend nearly as much time on Muff's as I should considering how much modular I have, but the general vibe I got from seeing a few systems is that anything more than four rows is a large system. Four rows is kind of the upper limit of a small to medium case. After that point, I'll admit it becomes hard to manage.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search