The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Where do we start here ... two Braids, no real filters. First, buy the bigger case and thank us in 6 months. For now though, start with a handful of modules, and build from there.

For instance, I saw a performance this weekend where the guy with using a Basilimus for bass. It sounded so good, it'd be a waste to waste one on drums.

Also, drum in Euro are an incredibly expensive way to go.

Edit: Now trying to be more helpful ... I'd start with a Braids, Maths, Veils, a good VCF, and maybe a Peaks. Peaks can either do envelope duties, or a couple of drum voices. For a controller, I'd recommend a Beat Step Pro for a start. After playing with that for a bit, then add some clocking like a Pamela's. Once you learn your system, start filling in the pieces you think you're missing.
Ok so then 2 basilimus, because they are dope? What's a GOOD VCF you would throw in here?
Also I am going to be building this slowly, one or two modules at a time. So learning them won't be a problem, so I'll take of one out.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Derp - have you seen this thing yet?

LANDSCAPE
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Ok so then 2 basilimus, because they are dope? What's a GOOD VCF you would throw in here?
Also I am going to be building this slowly, one or two modules at a time. So learning them won't be a problem, so I'll take of one out.
Hi,
I have a Basimilus Alter on my shopping list too but right now I am doing without it, I do not own one right now. I want to see what the Percido can do . Then maybe combine the Alter with the Percido or only get the percido. But that is because I already have other drum sources...
I guess one Basimilus Alter to start with will not be a mistake. Maybe get one and get familiar with it... so you will be able to decide what you want to use it for (most times) and what to put next to it to complement it
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Bienvenue La Cirque du Modulaire!

The Modular Thread 2017-0618171049a.jpg

Terrible picture I know (I have an awful phone and keep it that way so I don't have my face constantly buried in it), but got the module put together in the new house. Once the studio is setup and the decorating's finished, I'll get some better pictures of everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
So out of the two Tonestars, for drone/pad things - 8106 will suits better for such things?
Anyone compared both and have some opinion on that?
I have the Tonestar 8106 and the 4075 filter (the one that's in the other Tonestar). It just depends on how you want your drones and pads. The 8106 filter is kind of gentle in a way. Great for Juno type sounds. The 4075 is a bit more aggressive and can distort to get really gnarly. Just depends on what flavor you want.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
so in trying to find a dual vcf that isn't the korgasmatron, I'm see a lot of "THREE SISTERS YOU FOOL! BUY BUY BUY". and saw that some of you gents here are stoked on it.

I see that its a unique take on a vcf and does some really cool screamy, sine-y self oscing, spready squelch and all, which is great, but can it, like, filter normalz like? Would still want some creamyness to just just standard low pass duties, non of the demo's seem to show that, its all a bit too squelchy and not a lot of low end, mainly due to not the best recording.

for isntance the vcf-74 sounds lovely here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_f...utu.be&t=3m50s

yes large part due to what kind of vco is feeding but thought I'd ask your guys' opinion.

Otherwise I'm also looking at dinsync SARA, vcf-74 and maybe the WMD aperture
You know what it kinda sounds like you want is an Analogue Solutions SY02. It's a dual filter loosely based on the MS20, but unlike an MS20, it's actually kind of hard to push it into aggressive territory. It's a very creamy sounding filter and it's got a VCA built into it. It's not made anymore, but they're not too hard to find secondhand. They usually come up for $100-$150. The filter was rebuilt into the Medic Modules Defibrillator, but that sucker is kind of expensive pricewise and HP wise, so I'd definitely go looking for the SY02 instead.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, no im not triggering anything outside the rack. So slim down on triggers, maybe I could do without the trigger riot. DOES trigger riot pair well with basilimus? What does? Maybe I should forget about drums all together and just do that outside my rack. I saw a video that showed O&C IN EUCLIDIAN Mode sequencing these really fast paced glitchy drums and I love it. Really love the basilimus just really don't know what to get that thing excited. Also whats a good ad generator you recommend for a system like this?
The basilimus is great. I had one for a minute but it wasn't playing nice with my PSU (was using some cheap cell90s at that time) so I replaced it with a Neuron which I later replaced with SSF Entity. Really drum modules go great with anything that generates triggers but it's useful to have some envelopes to go with them (usually attack and decay is all you need). As far as those go - Maths is the king IMO also Peaks, Pip Slope, Quatra, Contour, Minislew off the top of my head. Something like Pams, BI and a Peaks could be a great first order.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Current modulargrid for a system I want to build.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440558

Want to to be able to sequence multiple leads/pads/bass together with drums. Primarily want to Produce idm/ambient/ glitch. Wanted my Bottom row to be for drums only, but I'm not sure what I'm missing or if it's too much space to fill. Is Basilimus, O&C, Trigger riot, and a mixer enough for drums? Idk...
Anything you would add? Anything important I'm missing/forgetting? Anything I have to much of? How am I going to fill the remaining hp? Should I consider slimming down to 9u? I'm sure I can fill the missing space, please please please help! Many thanks in advance. Would LOVE your input !
I think an important one you're missing is that if you're getting the Rotating Clock Divider, you may as well get the breakout expander. It adds a lot of functionality and if you don't mind breaking out the soldering iron, even a guy like me that destroys anything he touches was able to put the expander together, so very much worth the $45 the kit costs.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Terrible picture I know (I have an awful phone and keep it that way so I don't have my face constantly buried in it), but got the module put together in the new house. Once the studio is setup and the decorating's finished, I'll get some better pictures of everything.
Gotta say my arms hurt just looking at that but... Dayum.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The basilimus is great. I had one for a minute but it wasn't playing nice with my PSU (was using some cheap cell90s at that time) so I replaced it with a Neuron which I later replaced with SSF Entity. Really drum modules go great with anything that generates triggers but it's useful to have some envelopes to go with them (usually attack and decay is all you need). As far as those go - Maths is the king IMO also Peaks, Pip Slope, Quatra, Contour, Minislew off the top of my head. Something like Pams, BI and a Peaks could be a great first order.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Gotta say my arms hurt just looking at that but... Dayum.
Yeah, that was a tough one to decide on. I tried it out with the chair, and I can comfortably reach most of it. The very top of the top row is a little bit of a stretch, and the two bottom rows are just flat out uncomfortable, so I'm going to do a little rearranging soon to get all the idiot-proof stuff like the Airas and the MIDI modules down there. It ain't perfect, but at least by expanding upward instead of outward, it makes cable runs shorter, and I've got room in there for both of my workstations.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

SICK! I wanna be just like derp.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Where do we start here ... two Braids, no real filters. First, buy the bigger case and thank us in 6 months. For now though, start with a handful of modules, and build from there.

For instance, I saw a performance this weekend where the guy with using a Basilimus for bass. It sounded so good, it'd be a waste to waste one on drums.

Also, drum in Euro are an incredibly expensive way to go.

Edit: Now trying to be more helpful ... I'd start with a Braids, Maths, Veils, a good VCF, and maybe a Peaks. Peaks can either do envelope duties, or a couple of drum voices. For a controller, I'd recommend a Beat Step Pro for a start. After playing with that for a bit, then add some clocking like a Pamela's. Once you learn your system, start filling in the pieces you think you're missing.
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!
Gold advice for free !
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!
Gold advice for free !
Yes thAnks very much
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know what it kinda sounds like you want is an Analogue Solutions SY02. It's a dual filter loosely based on the MS20, but unlike an MS20, it's actually kind of hard to push it into aggressive territory. It's a very creamy sounding filter and it's got a VCA built into it. It's not made anymore, but they're not too hard to find secondhand. They usually come up for $100-$150. The filter was rebuilt into the Medic Modules Defibrillator, but that sucker is kind of expensive pricewise and HP wise, so I'd definitely go looking for the SY02 instead.
Yea i've seen the sy02 in passing throught maybe it would be too hard to find, but will check MW and add it the list, thanks.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wonder how long it will be before Merriam-Webster or The Oxford add these. Not long, I imagine.

noun: a derp
verb: to derp or be derped
adj: derpy
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
So I know this is "The Modular Thread" and all...but that said, are there any "fixed" architecture synths you still like?

So, are there any synths you find complementing your modular?
Fantom G and MPC obviously because I love sampling the modular into them. Only other fixed architecture synth I have now is a Virus TI2, but I don't use it as a complement for the modular, but rather a replacement. Modular and sampling gets me everything I need, but I like the Virus for stuff I need to put together quickly. It's super fast to program what you need on it and sketch out ideas, and it can cover most every base. It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none type of synth, but in a pinch, it does it all good enough to work with.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Sooo many good VCFs. The ones talked about in the previous page are a good start. Doepfer and Studio Electronics both make a bunch.

If you have a favorite, there's probably something you can get that's close.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Looking Awesome.

Makes the MPC looks small.
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
If you stick to this philosophy you will do very well with modular. The classic noob mistake is buying too much at once without learning each module fully, or buying a case that is too small (both from personal experience). If you go slow enough some of the modules you want now will be repalced by new releases anyway, it's pretty much inevitable. Dive in, the water's fine.You'll figure out the rest along the way.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
If you stick to this philosophy you will do very well with modular. The classic noob mistake is buying too much at once without learning each module fully, or buying a case that is too small (both from personal experience). If you go slow enough some of the modules you want now will be repalced by new releases anyway, it's pretty much inevitable. Dive in, the water's fine.You'll figure out the rest along the way.
I just want to mirror slaughtr's sentiments here. These are mistakes a lot of us make: Always buy the biggest case you can afford (or something like a Happy Ending Kit where expansion will be easy) and if you can restrain yourself from buying everything in sight, one or two modules at a time and spending a lot of time with them will help you learn everything you need to know about those modules. If you're brand new to synthesis, I'd almost be inclined to go with Synthesizers.com's Entry system because the payments are reasonable, and though it's a 5u system, it's a great system to learn on and even after you've expanded it as much as you want to, it's still a mighty fine Moogalike that will come in handy and sound great.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I just want to mirror slaughtr's sentiments here. These are mistakes a lot of us make: Always buy the biggest case you can afford (or something like a Happy Ending Kit where expansion will be easy) and if you can restrain yourself from buying everything in sight, one or two modules at a time and spending a lot of time with them will help you learn everything you need to know about those modules. If you're brand new to synthesis, I'd almost be inclined to go with Synthesizers.com's Entry system because the payments are reasonable, and though it's a 5u system, it's a great system to learn on and even after you've expanded it as much as you want to, it's still a mighty fine Moogalike that will come in handy and sound great.
New to modular, not synthesis. My soft synth knowledge is pretty adept. Can create almost anything I desire. My current setup is a M32, maths and optomix. Slowly but surely I will build my system. I'm pretty adamant on getting the 12u enclave flight case by mdlrcase
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
New to modular, not synthesis. My soft synth knowledge is pretty adept. Can create almost anything I desire. My current setup is a M32, maths and optomix. Slowly but surely I will build my system. I'm pretty adamant on getting the 12u enclave flight case by mdlrcase
Quadra or Veils next imo. You can never have enough of either and both combine with Maths to make serious fun. Especially driving them with the Mama. I have all those and use them in every patch, although I'm kicking mama out of the house soon.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm kicking mama out of the house soon.
You still plan on making an AJH voice as a replacement?
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Enclave and MDLR Case are two different things. I have a MDLR Case, but if I were to buy a quality 12u again, I'd seriously look into DNGR:TECH
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
You still plan on making an AJH voice as a replacement?
Yup.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
All purchases are on hold until the Eloquencer comes out though, got caught with no money last time.

Current Proposed order of purchases:
Eloquencer
FLXS-1
BoomTschak
AJHx3
Links
Splash
PM Mutes
Twinout
Doepfer Sequential thingy
I have the rest, except a couple more ADSRVCA's, which I will undoubtedly get at Control Voltage when I buy the BoomTschak, Mutes, and Links. As soon as I buy the Eloquencer I'll sell-

Mother-32
4msSMR
Grids
Pitt Seq MK-1
uScaleII
Q-Bit EON (it's still in the pic but I really hate 2hp modules).

Which will allow me to begin purchasing the others. Until then I'm pretty busy learning the Furthrrrr Generator, it's a beast of a module. I really had no idea what I was getting into but I don't regret buying it one bit. It really ties the case together, man.

PS: I feel like this live case plan is getting more and more solid, take a good look at it and gimme your professional opinion would, ya?
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:

Do you have like 9 foot cables? WHAT IS THIS? A MODULAR FOR GIRAFFES?
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup.

All purchases are on hold until the Eloquencer comes out though, got caught with no money last time.

Eloquencer
FLXS-1
BoomTschak
AJHx3
Links
Splash
PM Mutes
Twinout
I have the rest, except a couple more ADSRVCA's, which I will undoubtedly get at Control Voltage when I buy the BoomTschak, Mutes, and Links. As soon as I buy the Eloquencer I'll sell-

Mother-32
4msSMR
Grids
Pitt Seq MK-1
uScaleII

Which will allow me to begin purchasing the others. Until then I'm pretty busy learning the Furthrrrr Generator, it's a beast of a module. I really had no idea what I was getting into but I don't regret buying it one bit. It really ties the case together, man.

PS: I feel like this live case plan is getting more and more solid, take a good look at it and gimme your professional opinion would, ya?
This case is looking badass!

Wait, can I buy your uScale II when your ready? No rush.

I'm also really interested if the living vco will hold its own against 3x ajh. We should do a comparison at some point. Once I get my kit in and start building it that is.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup.

Eloquencer
FLXS-1
BoomTschak
AJHx3
Links
Splash
PM Mutes
Twinout

Mother-32
4msSMR
Grids
Pitt Seq MK-1
uScaleII

Too many ADSRVCA's maybe. Also, maybe a few too many VCO's. I to tend to over orchestrate also though. Most of the live stuff I've seen is pretty simple. Like I mentioned, I saw a 45m set of nothing but a Basimilus Iteritas and a TipTop One with filters and effects. I'd also keep the quantizer. Even with a good sequencer, they're extremely useful for taming randomness in a patch.

As for the TipTop One, I don't understand that one vs. a Disting Mk4. Clocked sample playback on the Disting is just so fscking amazing. I haven't found anything else yet that can sync playback of a sample loop so well in the modular world.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thought I know I don't need anymore VCO's, I just got a Klavis Twin Wave to save some space in the performance rack and moved the Erica Wavetable to the second case. First, sorry to say but it's got to be the ugliest module I have. Hopefully, Grayscale will come to the rescue at some point. That said, it sounds pretty good. It's like a baby, two-voice, best of Braids in 8hp, including the quantizer feature. I really like the Additive All model, but unfortunately you can only have one voice going in that mode due to CPU usage. I can definitely replace most of the tones I'd do on the Omikron with it that I had to move out of the 12u due to space constraints, but not sure about matching the EMW Alias yet. It may be placebo effect and I'll need to compare them under the scope, but that EMW Alias is the ultimate sub-bass to my ears so far.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search