The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th June 2017
The Anti-Osc is a good oscillator. I think the Richter Oscillator is the same as the Wiard one (not the Anti- the other one) just the faceplate is different, no?
But maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway: Here's two videos of Patrick showing new stuff from Vermona, TouellSkouarn, Audiodamage and Frap Tools

As for your question PiTeR-aR: I would recommend to do a little more research. And not limit yourself to a complete voice module.
I really liked the Tonestar 8106 when I heard it. It's filter is loosely based on the Roland Juno 106.
But the other Tonestar 2600 based on an ARP filter is pretty good too. Their oscillator sounds nice and fat.
But there's more stuff. I heard some really obese sounds coming from Erica Synths Fusion modules and these TouellSkouarn (see video).
And that's just a cross section of what is out there.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's a toughie right there. I know the AJH is supposed to sound really good, but it's not quite as feature-rich as the other two, and is over a hundred bucks more per oscillator. Maybe get one Dixie and a Spectrum so you can A/B them and then return whichever one you like the least so you can get two more?
its worth it though. its premium **** imo, i have 2 now.
get black ones.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

so in trying to find a dual vcf that isn't the korgasmatron, I'm see a lot of "THREE SISTERS YOU FOOL! BUY BUY BUY". and saw that some of you gents here are stoked on it.

I see that its a unique take on a vcf and does some really cool screamy, sine-y self oscing, spready squelch and all, which is great, but can it, like, filter normalz like? Would still want some creamyness to just just standard low pass duties, non of the demo's seem to show that, its all a bit too squelchy and not a lot of low end, mainly due to not the best recording.

for isntance the vcf-74 sounds lovely here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_f...utu.be&t=3m50s

yes large part due to what kind of vco is feeding but thought I'd ask your guys' opinion.

Otherwise I'm also looking at dinsync SARA, vcf-74 and maybe the WMD aperture
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

@BenDayho
I've got a belgrade, korgasmatron and vcf-74. get them all? they're all great. the vcf-74 can do bread-button sounds really well, but it is really at it's best when pushed into squechy territory. Belgrade is also full of character but harder to control - kind of use it as a random "lets tweak and see what great sound comes out"

But why do you dismiss the korgasmatron? It's probably my fav of the bunch - so much control and variety. when I have an idea in mind I always plug into it and manage to dial in exactly what I want (the opposite of the Belgrade)
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
@BenDayho
I've got a belgrade, korgasmatron and vcf-74. get them all? they're all great. the vcf-74 can do bread-button sounds really well, but it is really at it's best when pushed into squechy territory. Belgrade is also full of character but harder to control - kind of use it as a random "lets tweak and see what great sound comes out"
Thanks for weighing in. Yea not trying to only stick to one filter, but trying to spread out the type across a couple of categories. Only really want ONE dual filter (specifically both low pass and high pass). As I'm prolly also going to get something moogy or arpy (thinking studio electronics 4075(2)) + one other flavor, not sure what yet, currently dopefer ssm although might not be diff enough.

Quote:
But why do you dismiss the korgasmatron? It's probably my fav of the bunch - so much control and variety. when I have an idea in mind I always plug into it and manage to dial in exactly what I want (the opposite of the Belgrade)
Oh I originally wanted the korgasmatron. Only reason I'm looking for alternatives is I need the HP, and I've heard that it can be a little plain (although I won't put much stock in that).

If three sisters has got fatness I would prolly favor that jsut because it seems to be just a little bit more than another dual filter.

I only came across the vcf-74 recently and just thought it had an interseting sound, prolly cuz you don't hear korg traveler sound a lot.

I'm prolly just going in circles.

haven't even opened up the scope to lpg instead, will eventually but working up to that and know that I want at least some straightforward filtering but don't want to make the rookie mistake of getting too many filters for current size of system (84hp 9u) trying to limit it to 2-3 (lol). That they can also sometimes double up as sine osc helps, but still.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

leaning towards three sisters for now.

Emily's vids have been posted here before I think, but can't help reposting

Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
second that. it's the most versatile and feature rich filter module. if you are searching 'character' then You'll probably need to try all the filters out there. Korgasmatron just does what You want. Mine is mostly patched into feedback loop with 4ms Dual Looping Delay
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody into DIY and wanting PCBs/Panels just a heads up that
Pushermans Spreadsheet for the next run will be up in a couple of days.
This run will close 23rd July.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

So I know this is "The Modular Thread" and all...but that said, are there any "fixed" architecture synths you still like?

I ask because I've been taking a slight hiatus from buying modules and have been focused more on applying the things I've learned to more "fixed" synths like the DSI Evolver, Blofeld desktop, and Kurzweil K2500RS lately, which are all essentially modular in routing, and thus have been programming more based on what I've learned in the modular realm, and I'm really enjoying the results. I still enjoy patching all the things, but the more I dig in the more I'm enjoying focused, discrete programming to balance out with my modular weirdness. Even as fixed as some synths are, I find myself thinking "yeah, but I can program this to do that" in ways that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of unless I went down the rabbit hole.

So, are there any synths you find complementing your modular?
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

@BenDayho Take a listen to the Studio Electronics Arp 2600 filter. It oozes creamy goodness.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
So, are there any synths you find complementing your modular?
After working in modular for awhile, I've found revisiting more complex fixed-architecture synths like the Matrix-1000 enlightening. It's like one approach enhances understanding of the other. Modular helps to demystify. Fixed-architecture facilitates focus. I return to the Matrix with ideas I might never have had without developing a modular mindset. So, I find synths like the Prophet-12 most interesting at the moment. I'm also looking at maybe getting a Blofeld desktop.
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict

When you have no rack space left but need more modular

My constantly evolving, end of futon, middle of the night jam area ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-2017-06-18-10.59.03.jpg  
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

it's weird to read about the korgasmatron as a 'clean filter' - that filter can scream . It was modeled after the ms-20 which was known for it's character, and the korgasmatron is full of character - just use the input drive & Q-drive knobs! You get two flavors of LP & HP each for even more variety. It's worth the HP imho.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
@BenDayho Take a listen to the Studio Electronics Arp 2600 filter. It oozes creamy goodness.
Yup thats what I meant in my post when I said the Studio Electronics 4075 is on my list, but not as an alternate to a dual ms20 style filter. Prolly would have both.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's weird to read about the korgasmatron as a 'clean filter' - that filter can scream . It was modeled after the ms-20 which was known for it's character, and the korgasmatron is full of character - just use the input drive & Q-drive knobs! You get two flavors of LP & HP each for even more variety. It's worth the HP imho.
Ha, Well I didn't say "clean". I said plain, but like I said not putting too much stock into those comments. Alright fine! I will revisit my plan with korgasmatron back in.

But then how would you complete this list:

1. Korgasmatron

2. Something Arpy or Moogy

3. ? (something vactrol based? an lpg?)

EDIT: hmm... actually strike that, getting korgasmatron literally means only fit 2 filters. unless #3 was fairly small.

Last edited by BenDayho; 18th June 2017 at 08:50 PM..
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Anybody into DIY and wanting PCBs/Panels just a heads up that
Pushermans Spreadsheet for the next run will be up in a couple of days.
This run will close 23rd July.
You mentioned for the diyers looking for pcbs there was a facebook group or something and I tried searching but didn't find anything. was gonna PM you.

I don't know what "pusherman's spreadsheet" means?
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac
The korgasmatron... I've heard there's bleed, have you guys found it to be an actual issue?
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict

what bleed?
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

We were discussing blind tests of oscillators a while back. Here is a link to a good one. It is not mine unfortunately. In that test I thought the Dixie came out on top.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...651&highlight=
Old 18th June 2017
TINRS BigFish
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
what bleed?
This was the report, and it's confirmed by the designer:

"When the input (I used a z3000 or A-110) gain is turned up past 9 o'clock I get the dry signal bleeding through to the output even when the 12dB Low pass filter is turned all the way down, is this normal behaviour? "

Here's a Muffs thread on it:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi....php?p=1535617
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

I'll test the module when will be back from trip. No noticeable bleed before.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
leaning towards three sisters for now.

Emily's vids have been posted here before I think, but can't help reposting

3 Sisters can def do your typical resonant LPF. You just patch into the LOW in and out, set to "crossover" and you have a LPF. Compared to MI Ripples I would say it isn't quite as "creamy". It kind of breaks up a little at high res and does not transition from high resonance to sine wave as smoothly as Ripples. That said I like the character and use it as a low resonance LFP all the time.

It is not going to replace a ms-20 style dual filter though. You can get close with the ALL IO and the SPAN setting but it's quite fiddly compared to having two cutoffs. Also the HP and LP filter can't be set to different resonance levels and there's no real work around for that. The other issue you might find is that the ALL out (mix out really) can clip in a not so pleasant way depending on the source volume. I've had better luck using a mixer to blend the outputs.

All that said 3 Sisters is a really unique module and I would not hesitate to recommend it. The ability to generate three sines and modulate their relationships is not something you're going to find anywhere else (AFAIK). The build quality is absolutely fantastic. The big cutoff knob is a joy to wiggle. It's a great module. Go for it.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Current modulargrid for a system I want to build.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440558

Want to to be able to sequence multiple leads/pads/bass together with drums. Primarily want to Produce idm/ambient/ glitch. Wanted my Bottom row to be for drums only, but I'm not sure what I'm missing or if it's too much space to fill. Is Basilimus, O&C, Trigger riot, and a mixer enough for drums? Idk...
Anything you would add? Anything important I'm missing/forgetting? Anything I have to much of? How am I going to fill the remaining hp? Should I consider slimming down to 9u? I'm sure I can fill the missing space, please please please help! Many thanks in advance. Would LOVE your input !
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

ordered a pair of Manhattan Analog CP3 mixers last night... and thus ends my purchasing journey for the next long while.

I'm still waiting on for my Morphagene... 12 days... tracking is sketchy - LA > Louisville > Montreal > Louisville > middle of nowhere northern Ontario.. what's going on? (I live in Montreal) ugh.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 19th June 2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post

Want to to be able to sequence multiple leads/pads/bass together with drums. Primarily want to Produce idm/ambient/ glitch. Wanted my Bottom row to be for drums only, but I'm not sure what I'm missing or if it's too much space to fill. Is Basilimus, O&C, Trigger riot, and a mixer enough for drums? Idk...
Anything you would add? Anything important I'm missing/forgetting? Anything I have to much of? How am I going to fill the remaining hp? Should I consider slimming down to 9u? I'm sure I can fill the missing space, please please please help! Many thanks in advance. Would LOVE your input !
I'd question the 2 Braids. It's a great module but I'd personally want to branch out a little. There are a lot of cool digital VCOs on the market, check Make Noise and Noise Engineering offerings if you haven't already. I could also see a Peaks in there. It's got some great drum modes and you might be short on AD envelopes with only Maths. I use a lot of ADs for drums. You also have a lot of trigger sources with the RCD, Pams, Trigger riot and o_C all able to put out triggers. Are you triggering stuff outside of the rack?
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post

Where do we start here ... two Braids, no real filters. First, buy the bigger case and thank us in 6 months. For now though, start with a handful of modules, and build from there.

For instance, I saw a performance this weekend where the guy with using a Basilimus for bass. It sounded so good, it'd be a waste to waste one on drums.

Also, drum in Euro are an incredibly expensive way to go.

Edit: Now trying to be more helpful ... I'd start with a Braids, Maths, Veils, a good VCF, and maybe a Peaks. Peaks can either do envelope duties, or a couple of drum voices. For a controller, I'd recommend a Beat Step Pro for a start. After playing with that for a bit, then add some clocking like a Pamela's. Once you learn your system, start filling in the pieces you think you're missing.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
ordered a pair of Manhattan Analog CP3 mixers last night... and thus ends my purchasing journey for the next long while.
nice! my diy kit for a cp3 just arrived. hopefully they arrive safe and sound.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
3 Sisters can def do your typical resonant LPF. You just patch into the LOW in and out, set to "crossover" and you have a LPF. Compared to MI Ripples I would say it isn't quite as "creamy". It kind of breaks up a little at high res and does not transition from high resonance to sine wave as smoothly as Ripples. That said I like the character and use it as a low resonance LFP all the time.

It is not going to replace a ms-20 style dual filter though. You can get close with the ALL IO and the SPAN setting but it's quite fiddly compared to having two cutoffs. Also the HP and LP filter can't be set to different resonance levels and there's no real work around for that. The other issue you might find is that the ALL out (mix out really) can clip in a not so pleasant way depending on the source volume. I've had better luck using a mixer to blend the outputs.

All that said 3 Sisters is a really unique module and I would not hesitate to recommend it. The ability to generate three sines and modulate their relationships is not something you're going to find anywhere else (AFAIK). The build quality is absolutely fantastic. The big cutoff knob is a joy to wiggle. It's a great module. Go for it.
Thanks for the excellent insight!
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'd question the 2 Braids. It's a great module but I'd personally want to branch out a little. There are a lot of cool digital VCOs on the market, check Make Noise and Noise Engineering offerings if you haven't already. I could also see a Peaks in there. It's got some great drum modes and you might be short on AD envelopes with only Maths. I use a lot of ADs for drums. You also have a lot of trigger sources with the RCD, Pams, Trigger riot and o_C all able to put out triggers. Are you triggering stuff outside of the rack?
Ok, no im not triggering anything outside the rack. So slim down on triggers, maybe I could do without the trigger riot. DOES trigger riot pair well with basilimus? What does? Maybe I should forget about drums all together and just do that outside my rack. I saw a video that showed O&C IN EUCLIDIAN Mode sequencing these really fast paced glitchy drums and I love it. Really love the basilimus just really don't know what to get that thing excited. Also whats a good ad generator you recommend for a system like this?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search