The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Cheapest I found and the one I went with is a dude from Taiwan on eBay selling them for $195.
Well timed post, thanks. He sells on Reverb, will buy.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

When you ask how much modulation I've got to ask how big is your modular.

I don't think you can have enough modulation especially when your modulating the modulation that is modulating the modulation
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
When you ask how much modulation I've got to ask how big is your modular.

I don't think you can have enough modulation especially when your modulating the modulation that is modulating the modulation
oi get your self to work mate! dear oh dear
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Addict
Hi, help me with this please - I want to expand my Mother 32 and i'm thinking about 2 options:

What would you suggest?

1. buy another oscillator and another one after some time - thinking about Dixie II + (is it really that better than cheaper Doepfer? AJH is to expensive) + Clouds + dual lfo or make noise function??
or
2. buy Tonestar 2600 (or 8106) and hence i will be equipped in second oscillator, lfos and other things + clouds?

I make some drones, pad-like sounds but also leads and bass. I know that SE stuff is great (i have Boomstar SEM) and in this option i would have another oscillator, filter and lfos but maybe having two additional osc like Dixie and separate lfos and maybe other function module will get me better results? I want smal rack max 84hp.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
Hi, help me with this please - I want to expand my Mother 32 and i'm thinking about 2 options:

What would you suggest?

1. buy another oscillator and another one after some time - thinking about Dixie II + (is it really that better than cheaper Doepfer? AJH is to expensive) + Clouds + dual lfo or make noise function??
or
2. buy Tonestar 2600 (or 8106) and hence i will be equipped in second oscillator, lfos and other things + clouds?

I make some drones, pad-like sounds but also leads and bass. I know that SE stuff is great (i have Boomstar SEM) and in this option i would have another oscillator, filter and lfos but maybe having two additional osc like Dixie and separate lfos and maybe other function module will get me better results? I want smal rack max 84hp.
Aah, the old 'what should I add to my mother' question. Because the mother really is the gateway drug to eurocrack. I should know, I've been there.

I started with a M32 as well. Wanted to just 'add an oscillator' as well. I had the bright idea to just add a single row of euro and I'd add two more full voices. So then I'd have a M32 and a row.. and 3 fully functional synths that were massively patchable. I went with a Lifeforms SV1 and a Tonestar 2600.

NO regrets on either.. particularly the Tonestar. BUT (there's always a but) - you will not stop there. Fair warning.
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Addict
Haha, thanks for warning, but i have a feeling that i will stop at that... there's some other great toys in production to save money for (Quantum?) .

I don't need to have another full voices, just want to make more of M32 and maybe buy later Erica Synts Wavetable when it will be back in stocks again.
So your advice is to go with Tonestar. Maybe it's wise way to go.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Lol. Hilarious. I'm 47

My friend who is just dipping his toe into modular said last week that it is like 40 something model train collectors - the stuff people did in the 70's
My Dad had model trains in the 70s. They were really fun to play with when I was a kid. Possibly my first introduction to "CV" and understanding electricity in general. I think the big overlap with modular though is that they both attract tinkerers.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I think the big overlap with modular though is that they both attract tinkerers.
Modular satisfies many of those romantic notions for me such as The Mad Scientist, The Inventor, The Mechanic, The Collector etc. It's a hobby which brings together many different hobbies. I think that's why it appeals to me so much.

I'm a professional musician, but when people go on to ask about my hobbies I have to laugh and say "Music!"
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:

What would you suggest?

or

Don't think about price in Euro, it will get you nowhere. Wait until you can afford what you really want and it will be worth it.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Wait until you can afford what you really want and it will be worth it.
seriously. the cost of modular is pretty high and there's really no point in cutting corners.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
the cost of modular is pretty high...
Indeed it is! One of the reasons I ended up going with an all-Doepfer system was so I could save money (Doepfer modules are relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain in Germany). At least, that was the plan. As it's turned out, I can basically calculate between 800-1000€ per 3U row after factoring in the price of the case housing the modules. This adds up quickly. This is not a cheap hobby by any means (unless you DIY, I suppose, which I don't have the skills to do).
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Haha, thanks for warning, but i have a feeling that i will stop at that... there's some other great toys in production to save money for (Quantum?) .

I don't need to have another full voices, just want to make more of M32 and maybe buy later Erica Synts Wavetable when it will be back in stocks again.
So your advice is to go with Tonestar. Maybe it's wise way to go.
If your going to get Clouds too, plan on getting random+attenuation to get the most out of it.

Though I don't own one, that wavetable osc does look the biz.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I can't imagine having 2.../mind blown
What about a different flavor of that oscillator pair? DPO will get you the same general sound, but with the Make Noise vibe going on.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
What the heck is it? It looks like a euro take inspired by the Buchla Thunderbird.
That's pretty much what it is. It's a bunch of touchstrips and touchplanes. I haven't read that it can do this, but Soundmachines LP1's also have this really awesome pressure sensitivity thing going on, so I imagine that this will have that as well. It's just really fun have all the control at your fingertips and feel like you're molding the sound with your hands. Really cool for ambient sounds and drones.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

What would you suggest?

or

The Tonestars are great synths in their own right. I've got the 8106, it's a great voice, and like the Mother, you can patch into and out of it as you want. That's why I have a lot of synth voices in my system is that they can make great individual voices when I'm after a simpler sound, but also they can be parted out to enhance other patches. Like the Synth Box from Pittsburgh, I'm not really a fan of on its own, but I'm always borrowing the oscillator or an LFO from it. It's a lot of bang for the buck. Plus as you know, SE oscillators are great. 8106 can make some nice pads, especially if you inject the extra oscillator from the Mother.

I can't speak for the Dixie or the Doepfer oscillators, but as T-Verse said, if you're going to get Clouds, you need a lot of modulation to make it sound like you're imagining it will.

In the end it's your call. You won't know what you really want until you get a system started and have a few modules. Get the power and the rack, and let the patches flow from there.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Synthrotek kits and fully assembled modules on sale. For fully assembled, Chaos Nand is down to $94.99, Atari Punk Console is $64.99, and Dirt is $64.99.

Chaos Nand is a good little strange noise maker, and gets really insane with a sequencer going into the different inputs. Atari Punk Console can get some neat chiptune sounds if you you send LFO's to the CV inputs. Dirt is a very particular distortion/filter that is super raunchy, but makes drums sound really psychotic.
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
What about a different flavor of that oscillator pair? DPO will get you the same general sound, but with the Make Noise vibe going on.
No room in the case. Only really need one complex voice anyway. Plans man. Plans.
Old 16th June 2017
video of the (long awaited) protracker sequencer module, the NerdSeq is up. Please check the 1080p youtube resolution, you can then read what happens on the screen.
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Thanks Reptil

No news about the Drum Sequencer? (price/date)
you're welcome!
no, sorry. I did ask about the upcoming modules but he couldn't say.
they seem to stick to announcing the modules they have available, only.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I plopped the modules into a Mother 32 case. The idea was to give my fingers something to play with, and use the middle one for my Four Inches of Fury!!! whenever I felt like molding a sound by hand. Of course the sucky part is not long after I finish this project, this gets announced:

Derp - have you seen this thing yet?

LANDSCAPE
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Addict
slaughtrhaus, oinkbanana, T-Verse, maisonvague, Derp - thanks guys for hints.
So Tonestar is the way as the fellow voice to M32.
And thanks for the info about random and lots of modulation reagrding Clouds beacuse i wasn't aware of it
Old 17th June 2017
Quote:
And thanks for the info about random and lots of modulation reagrding Clouds beacuse i wasn't aware of it
Anytime man, I live for this sh1t.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was the first module I got after the M32. I love the thing.

Of course, I've just about filled 9ux84hp. In about 8 months. Damn eurocrack.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely something I'm not musically proud of, but wanted to post something that gives and example of the sounds I'm able to pull from the ER-301. It's a bunch of my old Emax samples (yes total DM Strangelove when the chord hits just right from the Turing), a custom unit that recreates the E340 Cloud Generator that I've hacked a bit, with a touch of the built in simple OSC functions. Along with the ER-301, there's a touch of Clouds of course, WASP, Morpheus and a bunch of LFO's and envelopes. Once again, this thing is amazing. I'll never need another VCO.

Edit -- a better version with tweaked envelopes and some Grids randomness added.

Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Definitely something I'm not musically proud of, but wanted to post something that gives and example of the sounds I'm able to pull from the ER-301. It's a bunch of my old Emax samples (yes total DM Strangelove when the chord hits just right from the Turing), a custom unit that recreates the E340 Cloud Generator that I've hacked a bit, with a touch of the built in simple OSC functions. Along with the ER-301, there's a touch of Clouds of course, WASP, Morpheus and a bunch of LFO's and envelopes. Once again, this thing is amazing. I'll never need another VCO.

I rather enjoyed the old school DM vibes...
Old 17th June 2017
A new manufacturer: Joranalogue
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
The Tonestars are great synths in their own right. I've got the 8106, it's a great voice (...)
8106 can make some nice pads, especially if you inject the extra oscillator from the Mother.
So out of the two Tonestars, for drone/pad things - 8106 will suits better for such things?
Anyone compared both and have some opinion on that?
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer! Just one question, are you absolutely sure that the Richter osc is triangle core? It was my understanding that the Anti-Oscillator is triangle and the Richter is saw core. You know what it means if I am right, you just have to buy even more oscillators! I recommend the Anti!
No I'm not certain at all but they advertise the sine as being very pure and that only happend on a triangle core so.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

ok the new copnfig of me rakk.

I basically split my modules in 2 racks where 1 is the old classic stuff like moog oscs and moog filters. Oldschool stuff. gonna fill this one up with a sea devils and replace the crossfader with a SE scifi.

and then the lower part is more futuristic, with pm oscs, wogglebug and wavefolder and so on. like a buchla. and the filters are "newer".

then we have the completely unused (painted it yesterday) seq rack with a metro and a stepper acid. Guest appearances from my new subwoofer (with about 25mm lin xmax, i have 4, lol) and the karp tabletop. the karp will just love the subs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-newrack.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-seqrack.jpg  
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

Edit -- a better version with tweaked envelopes and some Grids randomness added.

That's fantstic, Void.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search