The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Wow. That looks beautiful!! I could never build something like that. Maybe in my next life.

If you do ever decide to sell, can I have first-option to buy? (Assuming it functions, of course!! )

Or maybe I could commission you to build me one? Do you do that sort of work?
Yea let's see how the build (and calibration, more importantly) goes. I'll pm you.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
a VCA amplify it,
The name is misleading as we know they attentuate rather than amplifying.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
The name is misleading as we know they attentuate rather than amplifying.
Actually, maybe we don't know!

I've always assumed some degree of actual amplification can take place--especially at higher levels (hence distortion, saturation, etc). If this is a misunderstanding on my part, it's an old one going back to my schools days! Never too late to learn, I say. Please enlighten me!

EDIT: Also, I've always understood that while some VCAs only attenuate signals (O to unity gain), others can go above unity gain, meaning they can amplify a signal. Right? Are you saying this is actually not the case?

Last edited by maisonvague; 15th June 2017 at 08:10 PM..
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
EDIT: Also, I've always understood that while some VCAs only attenuate signals (O to unity gain), others can go above unity gain, meaning they can amplify a signal. Right? Are you saying this is actually not the case?
Some VCAs can sometimes amplify but in the majority of synths VCAs are used to attenuate or you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some VCAs can sometimes amplify but in the majority of synths VCAs are used to attenuate or you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard.
Yes, that would make sense--especially in a fixed-architecture synth. It would seem the VCA I use most often in my Doepfer A-100 (namely an A-132-3) is one able to amplify, reaching "amplification 1" (as Doepfer calls it) at around 8 on the dial (the 3 o'clock position) in both linear and exponential modes.

"If the control voltage is increased even a higher amplification than 1 is possible. With a corresponding input level this may lead to distortion at the output because the output swing is limited to about +/-10V and clipping occurs. Amplification "1" is obtained at about position "8" (i.e. 3 o'clock position) of the manual control "Gain" for both linear and exponential mode." (from the A-132-3 manual)
Old 15th June 2017
New Pico Voice module, and two new Fusion modules from Erica Synths
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

I've been thinking about this recently; how much modulation do you need? I have a dual LFO, 4 envelopes (I mostly use 2 to 3) in a patch, and a Maths (used a lot), a Tides I use if I need it but don't like that much. I always feel I want more LFO modulation esp. with a two voice/two filter patch. I guess this is a natural thing. Do I need to take a next step and upgrade to some more complex modulation as mentioned in previous post about LFO's? In contrast, John Carpenter (and his assistants) did fantastic sounding theme tunes with very basic setups compared to the capabilities of modules today.

Am interested in what you think, do you get to a space where you feel you have the right kind of modulation and other modules to do what you want. I feel I'm halfway there.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
New Pico Voice module, and two new Fusion modules from Erica Synths
Thanks Reptil

No news about the Drum Sequencer? (price/date)
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok simple solution. Don't worry about "the moment" or the fun for now. You need to practice your instrument. That means learning the basics and not so basics of each module. Did you pick up the electric guitar and just start playing eruption? Sometimes you gotta just paint the fence and sand the floors.

You just need to spend an hour or four really concentrating on Maths and Maths alone. Go through the patch guide (the one with the colored cables and dotted lines) a time or two and really do them. After that it will come naturally and the results can be spectacularrrr.
I hear you... And it truly makes sense and us logical.
However as a counterpoint, and perhaps this only applies to my situation I literally get an hour or so per week for music most weeks. So "learning time" or practice becomes almost impossible.

I just want to make a choon!

If I have to relearn how to use a module or a synth... that's just making my life difficult. I got rid of Mutable Peaks because I could never get my head around what mode it was in. Batumi I just look at it and I know what is going on...
I replaced my Make Noise Function and the wmd Mini Slew for similar reasons. Replaced them with the Intellijel Dual ADSR. Once again dead simple and visually shows me exactly what is going on
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've found a compromise solution, though, that's made working with modular a lot more enjoyable for me. Once my patch is made, I patch in as many remote CV controls as possible such that I don't need to stare at the modular while I play. It would seem most people like to get in there and tweak but I don't. So I use a remote keyboard, CV pedal, ribbon controller, joy stick--whatever it takes to avoid having to reach my fingers into the snake pit and tweak knobs. I've also placed my sequencer in the very top rack leaving it basically cable-free in areas where the knobs and switches are located. That has also helped a lot. I used to have it more towards the middle. Not good.

I made this thing but what I'm finding is that I'll more often just use the knobs on the modules instead. This little skiff is still super cool, just doesn't get used as much as I'd intended. Like you said, some people like it, others don't.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Sexy.

Yea as I was filling up my planning MG case and got < 20hp, I noticed I started to puruse 2hp more than usual.

I was gonna ask if anyone here had tried any of their stuff.

Erica's Synth pico stuff is looking good too!
I don't have any Pico stuff (yet), but I've got a couple 2hp modules. If you plan on getting really hands-on, I wouldn't recommend it. I love playing with my Turing Machine, but that sucker gets cramped. Freez is a good one though because it's not set and forget, but odds are that most people that want one will be running CV into it instead. Unlike @slaughtrhaus my EON sees a lot of use, but I really can't remember the last time I took it out of envelope mode. It's simple, does the job, and usually is set and forget for each patch.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Ok, thanks. Will learn a bit more about the thing and then go builder hunting.
Cheapest I found and the one I went with is a dude from Taiwan on eBay selling them for $195.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

I made this thing...
Oh, I like that! When you say "made" do you mean you put together that set of modules, or DIY?
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, I like that! When you say "made" do you mean you put together that set of modules, or DIY?
I plopped the modules into a Mother 32 case. The idea was to give my fingers something to play with, and use the middle one for my Four Inches of Fury!!! whenever I felt like molding a sound by hand. Of course the sucky part is not long after I finish this project, this gets announced:

Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've been thinking about this recently; how much modulation do you need? I have a dual LFO, 4 envelopes (I mostly use 2 to 3) in a patch, and a Maths (used a lot), a Tides I use if I need it but don't like that much. I always feel I want more LFO modulation esp. with a two voice/two filter patch. I guess this is a natural thing. Do I need to take a next step and upgrade to some more complex modulation as mentioned in previous post about LFO's? In contrast, John Carpenter (and his assistants) did fantastic sounding theme tunes with very basic setups compared to the capabilities of modules today.

Am interested in what you think, do you get to a space where you feel you have the right kind of modulation and other modules to do what you want. I feel I'm halfway there.
It's up to taste. I personally think modulation is a big reason to get into modular in the first place, but everyone's different. If you feel comfortable with the amount of modulation you have, then no need to buy more. Personally, the old "You can never have too many VCA's" has yet to apply to me because I'll make huge patches without using a single VCA, but modulation sources I often feel like I need more of.
Old 15th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
"learning time" or practice becomes almost impossible.

I just want to make a choon!
You need to practice. You need to know your modules *and their firmware* ahem or else your "choons" might get boring eventually. If it takes a few weeks oh well, you are younger than me I bet.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You need to practice. You need to know your modules *and their firmware* ahem or else your "choons" might get boring eventually. If it takes a few weeks oh well, you are younger than me I bet.
Younger? Not sure... I'm 43.

More immature. Definitely!
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course the sucky part is not long after I finish this project, this gets announced...
That also looks great. I should do more research in this area, now that my modular is "complete".

For me, patching a modular is like getting under the hood of a car. After I've tinkered, checked the oil, changed a filter, replaced a spark plug etc I then like to wash my hands and get behind a nice steering wheel with a GPS, leather seats and the ac cranked.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok simple solution. Don't worry about "the moment" or the fun for now. You need to practice your instrument. That means learning the basics and not so basics of each module. Did you pick up the electric guitar and just start playing eruption? Sometimes you gotta just paint the fence and sand the floors.

You just need to spend an hour or four really concentrating on Maths and Maths alone. Go through the patch guide (the one with the colored cables and dotted lines) a time or two and really do them. After that it will come naturally and the results can be spectacularrrr.
Thanks for that I had to look up Eruption as not so much a Edie Van Halen fan or anywhere near that universe being that good or wanting to be. I'm a bit more funk, classic hard rock and indie. I have been through the guide before and mostly didn't understand, but I'll try again.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lol. Hilarious. I'm 47

My friend who is just dipping his toe into modular said last week that it is like 40 something model train collectors - the stuff people did in the 70's
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
Thanks for that I had to look up Eruption as not so much a Edie Van Halen fan or anywhere near that universe being that good or wanting to be. I'm a bit more funk, classic hard rock and indie. I have been through the guide before and mostly didn't understand, but I'll try again.
You get the comparison, that's all that matters. I am pretty sure it was @maisonvague talking about what's lost on a lot of modern electronic musicians is the practice ethic that comes from learning a new instrument, to which I'll add the process of learning and using software (doing everything instantly or just "googling" how and then doing it instantly) or other things that do the "playing" for you can't compare at all.

When learning an instrument you have to physically practice for hours on end in the beginning and continue to always practice to get better, develop technique, and build up muscle memory. The first 2 or 3 years you gotta woodshed it or it takes forever.

The same exact principle applies to synthesis (keyboard or not) and most especially modular synthesis IMO. Every module feels different and has the possibility of having crazy functionality too. A small modular can have more possibilities to understand than a guitar fretboard and less chord charts and tabbed patterns to guide you, if you take my meaning. Combine all that and you'll need to be just as busy learning sh1t as making sh1 the first few years like anything.

Nothing that's worth it is easy, generally speaking. Keep Calm and Wiggle More.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

@slaughtrhaus

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?t=183976

~646 usd for furthrrrr generator

in case your feeling flush.
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
@slaughtrhaus

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?t=183976

~646 usd for furthrrrr generator

in case your feeling flush.
I can't imagine having 2.../mind blown
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:

Idk bro I am 45 going on like 25. Just growin old, not up. Plus I am 45 and I say "idk bro".
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I plopped the modules into a Mother 32 case. The idea was to give my fingers something to play with, and use the middle one for my Four Inches of Fury!!! whenever I felt like molding a sound by hand. Of course the sucky part is not long after I finish this project, this gets announced:

What the heck is it? It looks like a euro take inspired by the Buchla Thunderbird.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't imagine having 2.../mind blown
Ah, I thought you hadn't gotten one yet. Ha!
Old 16th June 2017
Quote:
Ah, I thought you hadn't gotten one yet. Ha!
I try not to recommend things I haven't owned.

It's friggin amazing. I can have a fun time just self patching drones let alone the crazy timbres it can do. Sounds thick as a brick too.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Doepfer A-135-1 is one that can amplify. As cane said though, not all can actually amplify.

Quote:

I believe you need more modulation when you realize through patching that you need more modulation. As Derp says, modulation and the different ways to accomplish it, and the different uses for it are a big reason to go modular over fixed architecture. Keep patching, but try doing things out of your comfort zone. In time, you'll find you wish you had more or different modulation options.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I made this thing but what I'm finding is that I'll more often just use the knobs on the modules instead. This little skiff is still super cool, just doesn't get used as much as I'd intended. Like you said, some people like it, others don't.
then you should get an er301 to control with it cause it's got a bunch of inputs wanting external control
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

The practice ethic, and knowing your gear (or record collection or both) is the most common denominator I've seen from people whose music I like and respect the most. The guy who knows his stuff back and forth often shreds the most.

I've DJ'd for many years, for example, and I can wing it just fine, and will often jump right in and mix a set using a bunch of tracks I've never even heard before, and maybe most don't hear the difference, and it may not "matter", but even winging a set from tracks (or instruments) you know well almost always comes out better, demonstrably better, and there's just no shortcut in my experience.

Same with Synths, Guitars, and the rest.

I'm sure there are some who wing everything, but the vast majority of creative and successful creative people do (or have done) buttloads of hard, tedious, practice and gear-familiarization, before their version of Eruption ever happens.

If it's just for fun, who cares, but if you're serious... not so much, not usually.

Quote:
Idk bro I am 45 going on like 25. Just growin old, not up. Plus I am 45 and I say "idk bro".
Depending on the day, I am between about 45 and 25 (actually in my late 40s).

I skateboarded to work today in a 25yo mode.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search