The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
What does veils have over intellijell's quad vca? If you have an opinion on the matter.
The iQuad VCA gives a little more control, but in the MG description it doesn't say it is dc-coupled like the Veils. It might be, I didn't RTFM...

I love both companies, they both make great quality products. Call me a hipster, but I prefer Mutable modules to most others. What I mean is if it's a utility or nonspecific item, I'll always go looking at Mutable first for a solution. They have that certain je ne sais quoi that other modules simply lack, and paying a little extra for it has always been ok with me. Although I find Endorphin.es to be close on this...
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
What are your favorites in euro, VCO wise?
You didn't ask me but I feel compelled to answer...

Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The iQuad VCA gives a little more control, but in the MG description it doesn't say it is dc-coupled like the Veils. It might be, I didn't RTFM...

I love both companies, they both make great quality products. Call me a hipster, but I prefer Mutable modules to most others. What I mean is if it's a utility or nonspecific item, I'll always go looking at Mutable first for a solution. They have that certain je ne sais quoi that other modules simply lack, and paying a little extra for it has always been ok with me. Although I find Endorphin.es to be close on this...
Was just wondering cuz I literally just put the intellijel quad in my MG planning rack.

It's funny because I am sort of prejudiced against Mutable Instruments Modules because I'm still reelling from Olivier switch to modular from DIY. I built shruthi's, anushri and ambika back before he did any eurorack, and when he did the whole switch it sort of broke my heart as I was sort of full swing into DIY and anti-eurorack at the time. Well "Anti" is too strong a word, more "eurorack-skeptical".

Don't get me wrong I love MI and Olivier's work, but for some reason I can bring myself to buy the eurorack modules. That'll prolly change soon.

If I can find a vca option in DIY I'd prefer that. Maybe try and find some of the frequency central stuff, pretty sure thats not dc-coupled tho.

Last edited by BenDayho; 14th June 2017 at 06:41 PM..
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You didn't ask me but I feel compelled to answer...
I literally have lusted over that module since the moment it came out, and that was back when I wasn't even considering eurorack.

Was more looking for non-complex suggestion, I have a separate slot for more west coast sound generators, which currently occupied by verbos harmonic osc, but I might switch it for either a DPO or endorphin's

Last edited by BenDayho; 14th June 2017 at 06:42 PM..
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Do you have an O_C yet? This thing is like the Maths of sequencer tools. Just feed it triggers and CV, and it'll quantize, randomize, chordize, and turingize anything. Kind of a pain to navigate the menu, but it's such a useful module.
Wow, looks super-powerful. Any idea how to actually get hold of one? "Ah, it's DIY" I realised. To Thonk I went. Nada.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you ever had a chance to try Jurgen's Living Vco's? I have a kit on the way, I've been wanting to build one since coming across his work a bit before he passed. Finally purchased the R*S reissue.

What are your favorites in euro, VCO wise? Assuming your a macbeth x-series fan then? Doepfer high end?

As an aside I had almost written off Doepfer till some of your posts reminded me to give them another go ( ssm filter on the way ) so thanks for that reminder!
You're welcome! I'm not really the right person to ask since I have very limited experience with euro VCOs. I purposefully limited myself to Doepfer-only for arbitrary reasons of aesthetics (and somewhat less arbitrary reasons of finances ).

I do love the X-series stuff, though, it's true. I was thrilled when Ken came out with the Micromac-D. Despite really digging modular, I'm really more of a fixed-architecture/semi-modular guy. I have a love/hate relationship with patch-chords. Sometimes the mess really ****s with my head . It's difficult to explain. Maybe I should see someone about it.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since then I've held off all purchases until the 2nd batch of Eloquencers come out, because need...
Eloquencer got bumped pretty high on the priority list after our last discussion on it. Turns out it's going to be a lot cheaper than I had expected it to be. Almost tempted to sell my Stillson to get one.

...almost.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
( ssm filter on the way )
It's a good one. It's one of the filters I turn to when I want something to sound vintage-esque.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
I literally have lusted over that module since the moment it came out, and that was back when I wasn't even considering eurorack.

Was more looking for non-complex suggestion, I have a separate slot for more west coast sound generators, which currently occupied by verbos harmonic osc, but I might switch it for either a DPO or endorphin's
After reading more about the Verbos stuff I got turned off. Nothing really specific but enough crap talking about them in general to make me not take the financial risk. I read a lot about a module before I buy it, maybe too much...Endorphin.es on the other hand has stellar reviews all around, and my experience matches those I read too. The raw tone of the thing quite frankly blows away any of my other oscillators. so I am completely satisfied with the investment. I say investment because it is the most expensive module I own at $750. Oops, forgot about the performance mixer, that was $750 as well. Wow 2 modules that cost more than a Sub37...My case cost as much as one anyway...I truly am a comet person at this point.

Simple oscillators that tickle my fancy (looking for 3 matching for chord duties):

Out of these the Dixie or Spectrum may win due to space concerns but if I have room I'll get the AJH most likely. Colin Benders made me do it.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://reverb.com/news/choosing-the...-your-eurorack

It's mostly for trying to sell you on modules, but there's some interesting tidbits in here, and it does go into details on their module choices. I had no idea you could run external stuff through the Piston Honda until reading this.
I read articles like that, and I want all the oscillators

@slaughtrhaus
I've got a pair of Dixie 2+, they're super solid and sound great for bass and FM duties. whole spectrum. highly recommend.
I want a trio of AJH oscillators... that's always been in the plans. and they're not even on that reverb list derp posted.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
After reading more about the Verbos stuff I got turned off. Nothing really specific but enough crap talking about them in general to make me not take the financial risk. I read a lot about a module before I buy it, maybe too much...Endorphin.es on the other hand has stellar reviews all around, and my experience matches those I read too. The raw tone of the thing quite frankly blows away any of my other oscillators. so I am completely satisfied with the investment. I say investment because it is the most expensive module I own at $750. Oops, forgot about the performance mixer, that was $750 as well. Wow 2 modules that cost more than a Sub37...My case cost as much as one anyway...I truly am a comet person at this point.

Simple oscillators that tickle my fancy (looking for 3 matching for chord duties):
Out of these the Dixie or Spectrum may win due to space concerns but if I have room I'll get the AJH most likely. Colin Benders made me do it.
Huh, didn't realize they were controversial. Their modules looks so pretty tho!

I was still in verbos muffwiggler thread reading mode, have it up on a tab just haven't read through it yet. But I've wanted the harmonic osc since seeing this vid (its a slow watch, and a bit 101 but later on he gets some cool stuff):

https://youtu.be/LBY-AtQwP_M?t=41m30s

Almost went for AJH's, Studio Electronics, omikron, dixie II, rubicon, e440, but instead I'm currently building:

figure if I don't like or can't take the HP cost, I can sell. But I have a good feeling about it. Then just want to add something westcoasty (currently thikning harmonic, but could switch to complex, dpo or endorphin if I can take the $$$ hit)

Not settling on anything yet, as I'm giving the living vco's a run. I'm still dealing with 1st wave of purchases for now.

Last edited by BenDayho; 14th June 2017 at 09:50 PM..
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Out of these the Dixie or Spectrum may win due to space concerns but if I have room I'll get the AJH most likely.
That's a toughie right there. I know the AJH is supposed to sound really good, but it's not quite as feature-rich as the other two, and is over a hundred bucks more per oscillator. Maybe get one Dixie and a Spectrum so you can A/B them and then return whichever one you like the least so you can get two more?
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I sold Maths and bought Function. It's a great module.
Do you not miss the extra half of Maths? I have often thought Function might be better as I only ever use one side of it.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
That's a toughie right there. I know the AJH is supposed to sound really good, but it's not quite as feature-rich as the other two, and is over a hundred bucks more per oscillator. Maybe get one Dixie and a Spectrum so you can A/B them and then return whichever one you like the least so you can get two more?
Price is never a consideration before buying, this is eurorack.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Do you not miss the extra half of Maths? I have often thought Function might be better as I only ever use one side of it.
But the real magic is patching the 2 sides together...
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm working on a techno remix, so just ordered my first Random Source module (Wave Multipliers, a module I know and love from Serge systems) and I was trying to get a super fast sequencer part going on it, then realised I needed to get a 4ms Clock Multiplier to achieve the speed and groove I was trying to create.

So there's probably $1000 spent right there.
I friggin love the RS Wave Mults. I've you've got some Serge background, I'm sure you're going to dig it as well.

And the SCM is still one of my favorite, most used modules.

Quote:

AJH Minimod VCOs are fantastic. I don't have experience with the others, but love the AJH. Would be even better with mults because of the sync possibilities.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with patch-chords. Sometimes the mess really ****s with my head . It's difficult to explain. Maybe I should see someone about it.
I really get that. I've just done a two voice patch with four oscillators, nothing complex, dual LFO, waveshaper, two filters, envelopes, Maths and I'm pleased with it. But then I look at it and think F**** that's a mess, I wish it could just be tidier. Elastic patch cables might help. I have some that are just too long and not quite the in between size I need.

I also thought 'plug n play' modules would be a good idea. None of this unscrewing and moving things around. Just pull it off and pop in a different module. This would solve space problems and be easy for using specific modules for live skiffs. So you could have plastic screws with heads that clip off to release the module.

Ohhhh... I was gonna keep this one to myself. Now it's out there!
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a good one. It's one of the filters I turn to when I want something to sound vintage-esque.
Yes, I bought the A-105 recently, I think on Derp's recommendation and someone else. Love it, with the AM8109 JP8 as a nice accompaniment.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Wow, looks super-powerful. Any idea how to actually get hold of one? "Ah, it's DIY" I realised. To Thonk I went. Nada.
If you don't like SMD.. there's a bunch of builders on muffs. I had mine built by user 'zz ardoz'.. I know others who have used some other guys with great recommendations, too.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the real magic is patching the 2 sides together...
Okay I'll try... again. It's not something I'm thinking about when I'm patching. I literally think I want some LFO or ADSR on that and a bit of Maths that does errr... something like a combined LFO/ADSR/Attenuator and just does what it does. Apart from just fiddling I don't know what I can do with it without going and consulting a cheatsheet and then being confused about what it was supposed to do, and that takes the fun out of it. Much like the fiddly Disting. As soon as you have to think about it, you are not in the moment anymore. A learning curve I know but it has to be intuitive.
Old 15th June 2017
Quote:
Okay I'll try... again. It's not something I'm thinking about when I'm patching. I literally think I want some LFO or ADSR on that and a bit of Maths that does errr... something like a combined LFO/ADSR/Attenuator and just does what it does. Apart from just fiddling I don't know what I can do with it without going and consulting a cheatsheet and then being confused about what it was supposed to do, and that takes the fun out of it. Much like the fiddly Disting. As soon as you have to think about it, you are not in the moment anymore. A learning curve I know but it has to be intuitive.
Ok simple solution. Don't worry about "the moment" or the fun for now. You need to practice your instrument. That means learning the basics and not so basics of each module. Did you pick up the electric guitar and just start playing eruption? Sometimes you gotta just paint the fence and sand the floors.

You just need to spend an hour or four really concentrating on Maths and Maths alone. Go through the patch guide (the one with the colored cables and dotted lines) a time or two and really do them. After that it will come naturally and the results can be spectacularrrr.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've just done a two voice patch with four oscillators, nothing complex, dual LFO, waveshaper, two filters, envelopes, Maths and I'm pleased with it. But then I look at it and think F**** that's a mess, I wish it could just be tidier.
I know this feeling.

It's moments like that I understand why pre-patched synths were invented in the first place.

I've found a compromise solution, though, that's made working with modular a lot more enjoyable for me. Once my patch is made, I patch in as many remote CV controls as possible such that I don't need to stare at the modular while I play. It would seem most people like to get in there and tweak but I don't. So I use a remote keyboard, CV pedal, ribbon controller, joy stick--whatever it takes to avoid having to reach my fingers into the snake pit and tweak knobs. I've also placed my sequencer in the very top rack leaving it basically cable-free in areas where the knobs and switches are located. That has also helped a lot. I used to have it more towards the middle. Not good.
Old 15th June 2017
I have altered the deal...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
This is my current (updated today) plan for my live all-in-one case. I own about half of this stuff now, so I am a long way out from finishing it. I change things from time to time and ask for suggestions and hoping any glaring omissions will be pointed out. 8 hp left open because I know better than to worry about the last bit for now.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
8 hp left open because I know better than to worry about the last bit for now.
Sexy.

Yea as I was filling up my planning MG case and got < 20hp, I noticed I started to puruse 2hp more than usual.

I was gonna ask if anyone here had tried any of their stuff.

Erica's Synth pico stuff is looking good too!
Old 15th June 2017
Quote:
Sexy.

Yea as I was filling up my planning MG case and got < 20hp, I noticed I started to puruse 2hp more than usual.

I was gonna ask if anyone here had tried any of their stuff.

Erica's Synth pico stuff is looking good too!
Never had any 2Hp brand, but I have the Q-bit Eon and I absolutely hate it- only because of the 2HP size. Too small, period. Impossible to work with for my ham-hands. 4HP is the smallest I will ever go again.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never had any 2Hp brand, but I have the Q-bit Eon and I absolutely hate it- only because of the 2HP size. Too small, period. Impossible to work with for my ham-hands. 4HP is the smallest I will ever go again.
Yea was thinking more for things that are more set and forget, or just patching in and out of, utils. But my rig isn't meant to be performance focused, some of course, but more for production.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
If you don't like SMD.. there's a bunch of builders on muffs. I had mine built by user 'zz ardoz'.. I know others who have used some other guys with great recommendations, too.
Ok, thanks. Will learn a bit more about the thing and then go builder hunting.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have altered the deal...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431
This is my current (updated today) plan for my live all-in-one case. I own about half of this stuff now, so I am a long way out from finishing it. I change things from time to time and ask for suggestions and hoping any glaring omissions will be pointed out. 8 hp left open because I know better than to worry about the last bit for now.
If you don't already have both of them yet, I'd go with a Veils and a Blinds instead of two Veils. Blinds has a bias which makes it a bit better for CV mixing or doing patches that you want bleed on; think faking side chain compression using just a VCA.

I also just went through the process of trying to build out a single performance rack based around the ER-301. I used to use a 12u 104hp and a 6u 84hp, but that just eats up too much table space. So many sacrifices though and I may end up moving the Erica Wavetable VCO out. At least I've been able to replicate something like the AFG with the ER-301, so my GAS for that one is in remission. If only they made 112hp racks.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/441087
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Almost went for AJH's, Studio Electronics, omikron, dixie II, rubicon, e440, but instead I'm currently building:

figure if I don't like or can't take the HP cost, I can sell.
Wow. That looks beautiful!! I could never build something like that. Maybe in my next life.

If you do ever decide to sell, can I have first-option to buy? (Assuming it functions, of course!! )

Or maybe I could commission you to build me one? Do you do that sort of work?
Old 15th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
If you don't already have both of them yet, I'd go with a Veils and a Blinds instead of two Veils. Blinds has a bias which makes it a bit better for CV mixing or doing patches that you want bleed on; think faking side chain compression using just a VCA.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/441087
Great suggestion. I just have one Veils so far.

And hey now- NICE RACK BABY!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search