The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Is this sort of an Elements Lite or completely unique? Any word re: price and specs?
Ken said it's a little project he worked on over christmas and what you see is only a plastic proto-type, he will build if clients and dealers are interested.

Ken said of the Delay in the synth

Quote "it's two of the 'Tape Delay Simulator' that I put into the Elements...........it can be gruff, scratchy and soft.....but in stereo...........amazing!
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

This will go nice with Batumi for extra wave mangling

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Gruvsyco Thank you thank you. I printed out the full size today. I am gonna go to a few shops to see what aluminum cheeks would cost.

Ideally gonna go maple or walnut (maybe burl or something) but I think aluminum could be nice too.

If I can find a supplier local for dimensional lumber in nice hardwoods that would be great.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
But would you Toss the laptop or even buy as MPC X/Live if at NAMM Native instruments announce a pierce of hardware that bridges the gap between Reactor blocks and Eurorack ?

Because i find it hard to believe that NI are developing Blocks whilst relying on third party hardware (Expert sleepers) which requires a sound card with certain connections in order for it to function. So some people have to shell out on 2 pieces of hardware just to use blocks.

Just a hunch I've had for sometime that NI may provide their own solution, maybe a joint venture with Expert sleepers.
Maybe i could phone the airport and check how many flights Andrew Ostler had to Germany last year......
Yes, I looked into the ES modules and they require lightpipe audio interfaces which are expensive and who even has one of those? I would like to try it out with the Disting Mk 3 option but I think really I just prefer hands on after playing around with Softube and Reaktor blocks. I might have a look at them again though.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Yes, I looked into the ES modules and they require lightpipe audio interfaces which are expensive and who even has one of those? I would like to try it out with the Disting Mk 3 option but I think really I'm just prefer hands on after playing around with Softube and Reaktor blocks. I might have a look at them again though.
only the ES-3 requires lightpipe (which most mid to pro interfaces have), the ES-4 requires SPDIF, which about any budget to midrange interface should have.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Apart from my Apogee duet
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
only the ES-3 requires lightpipe (which most mid to pro interfaces have), the ES-4 requires SPDIF, which about any budget to midrange interface should have.
Ah my UA-101 has S/PDIF. I remember now I did look at the ES-4 but thought too expensive whereas the ES-3 is cheaper but requires lightpipe. I would try it out with the Disting and see if it's worthwhile.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Yes, I looked into the ES modules and they require lightpipe audio interfaces which are expensive and who even has one of those? I would like to try it out with the Disting Mk 3 option but I think really I'm just prefer hands on after playing around with Softube and Reaktor blocks. I might have a look at them again though.
I was just investigating this myself last night after I tried the Silent Way demo and found that the timing was actually in sync both going out and going back in with soft-monitoring. (With Renoise, things like this actually are still a problem.) If you go looking, there are older Lightpipe-only interfaces out there for cheap. I found old M-Audio Lightbridges going for $150. That's 32 channels of input and output and for me they'd work great because it's also got S/PDIF for going in and out of my VS2480. I was all happy go lucky about that plan until I found out how expensive the ES-3's are. $325 each for four ES-3's, and then four ES-3 expanders at $150 each so I can have both inputs and outputs, that's $1,900 just to get my modular and Silent Way communicating on 32 channels before including the audio interface itself. I'm still working out if Silent Way is an avenue I really want to pursue, but if I do, I'm leaning toward a secondhand MOTU 24IO or something along those lines instead.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Any of you cats in here got an MX-1? I had an idea for Silent Way, the Aira modules, and an MX-1, but it'd need somebody to experiment to find out if it's going to work.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Well thats the mouser order sent off components for Triple Sloth & Sputnik expander,
a soldering Tip for SMD drag soldering and a Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 to program MI Edges
when i finally get around to building one

i'm sure in a few minutes time i'll realise theres something I've forgot
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I was just investigating this myself last night after I tried the Silent Way demo and found that the timing was actually in sync both going out and going back in with soft-monitoring. (With Renoise, things like this actually are still a problem.) If you go looking, there are older Lightpipe-only interfaces out there for cheap. I found old M-Audio Lightbridges going for $150. That's 32 channels of input and output and for me they'd work great because it's also got S/PDIF for going in and out of my VS2480. I was all happy go lucky about that plan until I found out how expensive the ES-3's are. $325 each for four ES-3's, and then four ES-3 expanders at $150 each so I can have both inputs and outputs, that's $1,900 just to get my modular and Silent Way communicating on 32 channels before including the audio interface itself. I'm still working out if Silent Way is an avenue I really want to pursue, but if I do, I'm leaning toward a secondhand MOTU 24IO or something along those lines instead.
Would you need all those ES modules thoughh? You only need the outs for things the modular isn't doing itself; additional sequencing, lfos, whatever. If it's any help, I have a 252hp rig and find a single ES3 and 5 combo plenty to integrate with my DAW. I get 3 tight midi synchs and a clock and still have 6 CV and 4 gate/trig outputs left over.

I might be completely missing something here however.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I might be completely missing something here however.
Here's what you're missing: I'm weird. When I'm composing, I can't do it one track at a time. I'm essentially building songs linearly where I'll build up each section in its entirety. (This is the tracker way, basically.) I've tried normal DAW's like Reaper, Live, and Sonar, and I just can't get into that method of composing. Because of that, I like to have all my synth parts firing off. And as much fun as CV/Gate sequencers are, I kinda prefer building compositions in the tracker. So for me, thirty-two CV channels would give me sixteen CV/gate pairs, and I can build a whole song that way. Yay, me!

Edit: Basically I'm looking at this for the Silent Way thing of getting perfect pitch, so inputs to listen to the oscillators and tune the CV, and then outputs to do their electro bluegrass thing.
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Any of you cats in here got an MX-1? I had an idea for Silent Way, the Aira modules, and an MX-1, but it'd need somebody to experiment to find out if it's going to work.
Yes I do. What's the plan.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here's what you're missing: I'm weird. When I'm composing, I can't do it one track at a time. I'm essentially building songs linearly where I'll build up each section in its entirety. (This is the tracker way, basically.) I've tried normal DAW's like Reaper, Live, and Sonar, and I just can't get into that method of composing. Because of that, I like to have all my synth parts firing off. And as much fun as CV/Gate sequencers are, I kinda prefer building compositions in the tracker. So for me, thirty-two CV channels would give me sixteen CV/gate pairs, and I can build a whole song that way. Yay, me!

Edit: Basically I'm looking at this for the Silent Way thing of getting perfect pitch, so inputs to listen to the oscillators and tune the CV, and then outputs to do their electro bluegrass thing.
so for that you basically need 1 ES-3, 1 ES-5, 1 CV expander module and 1 Gate expander module. The ES-5 supports up to 6 expansion modules.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

before I went away on holidays I was using my ES3 and MOTU 8pre interface with ADAT out, inside Reason using the Silent Way rack extension and it all worked well as far as timing goes, there are some other weird little quirks but I didn't have time to work those out yet but as for timing, bang on...I was sending cv and gate out to an osc and messing around with that and it was all very nice..
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

My kind of Modular music:

Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
so for that you basically need 1 ES-3, 1 ES-5, 1 CV expander module and 1 Gate expander module. The ES-5 supports up to 6 expansion modules.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these modules work, then. I thought that it being on light pipe, these things could only handle eight signals at a time? If what you're saying is true, it looks like it's possible to stack an ES-3, ES-5, and six ESX8CV's for a total of sixty-four CV channels off of a communication protocol designed for eight channels. If that's true, that's still $1525 just for the CV outputs, but that's still hella impressive.
Old 12th January 2017
I know this is all old news to most of you, but for me, it was the missing ingredient to my setup... my newly arrived BATUMI! My first quick test (inspired by Modular Landing's video) here as an audio source being processed by CLOUDS (while modulating Clouds at the same time.) No other modules, sounds or post processing involved.

Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
Gruvsyco Thank you thank you. I printed out the full size today. I am gonna go to a few shops to see what aluminum cheeks would cost.

Ideally gonna go maple or walnut (maybe burl or something) but I think aluminum could be nice too.

If I can find a supplier local for dimensional lumber in nice hardwoods that would be great.
Remember, if you are getting the counterbores put in for the mounting screws, one of the panels has to be a mirror image of the one you printed.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these modules work, then. I thought that it being on light pipe, these things could only handle eight signals at a time? If what you're saying is true, it looks like it's possible to stack an ES-3, ES-5, and six ESX8CV's for a total of sixty-four CV channels off of a communication protocol designed for eight channels. If that's true, that's still $1525 just for the CV outputs, but that's still hella impressive.
I believe I am correct about that, take a quick look through this thread for example:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...asc&highlight=

Also, the ESX8GT Gate expanders are less than half the price of the ESX8CV CV expanders (on juno.co.uk for example its $55 vs $130), wouldn't you want a combo of CV and Gate expanders for what you're trying to do?

At any rate, i'd specifically ask in the Expert Sleepers forum on Muffs about your proposed setup and Os is great at responding there.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
My kind of Modular music:

.... snip....
I'm going to have to update one of my DM mixes once I finish building out my 12u ... probably yet another version of Enjoy.

Last edited by Reptil; 12th January 2017 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: shortened
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I know this is all old news to most of you, but for me, it was the missing ingredient to my setup... my newly arrived BATUMI! My first quick test (inspired by Modular Landing's video) here as an audio source being processed by CLOUDS (while modulating Clouds at the same time.) No other modules, sounds or post processing involved.

Batumi's an absolute beast with the different modes on it. Don't forget you can get random wave shapes with the Expert firmware along with some slew. It also adds some other features such as advanced zoom and slight differences on the modes.
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post

Batumi's an absolute beast with the different modes on it. Don't forget you can get random wave shapes with the Expert firmware along with some slew. It also adds some other features such as advanced zoom and slight differences on the modes.
Cool, thanks! I'll definitely have to check out that expert firmware...
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Question..

if I attenuate the random signal coming out of the random cv output on my 0coast, what am I attenuating..? am I making the random voltages weaker or more rounded, what's actually going to happen, cause I always see this kind of voltage as similar to sample n hold, so if I have these random gates coming out and I stick it through an attenuator what am I attenuating actually..? you know with LFO attenuation you just make the waves smaller so it's not always fully on and then off or sweep wide open and sweep totally closed, what happens to random voltage then...same thing??

don't ask me to try I'm not able to turn on my system at all at the moment..
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Question..

if I attenuate the random signal coming out of the random cv output on my 0coast, what am I attenuating..? am I making the random voltages weaker or more rounded, what's actually going to happen, cause I always see this kind of voltage as similar to sample n hold, so if I have these random gates coming out and I stick it through an attenuator what am I attenuating actually..? you know with LFO attenuation you just make the waves smaller so it's not always fully on and then off or sweep wide open and sweep totally closed, what happens to random voltage then...same thing??

don't ask me to try I'm not able to turn on my system at all at the moment..
Pulled out the DSO oscilloscope and took a look to be sure ... You're attenuating the amplitude or voltage range of the random source. Gates would be affected differently, in that they probably wouldn't be affected until the extremes. A gate fires at a certain threshold.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not quite sure how it works,but from the ES website:

"The ESX-8CV is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight CV outputs from one expansion header.
In order to squeeze eight 12 bit channels through one 8 bit connection, the channels are time-multiplexed and so effectively run at between one-third and one-twenty fourth of the audio sample rate. For example, if the audio interface/DAW is running at 48kHz, the ESX-8CV's outputs are running at between 16kHz and 2kHz, depending on how many channels are active. This is still plenty fast enough for most CV purposes, except for audio-rate modulation and the very fastest envelopes."

If you're after the ES calibration for analogue oscs then one ES-3/5 combo will give you basic CV/gate control for six oscillators, with two ES-5 outputs left over for clock, gate or trig signals. Adding the ESX-8CV expander to the ES-5 will allow for basic CV/gate control of ten oscillators, or nine if you want to leave two outputs free for clock, etc. This will use up an ADAT OUT port on your interface. I don't send CVs into the DAW so don't know much about that, but it looks like you still need a single ES-3, the ES-6 itself and the ES-7 if you want to go from six channels to eight.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Addict
I've gotta' ask... what's the general consensus re: Doepfer? Assume you had an unlimited amount of cash to assemble a system, would there be any Doepfer modules you'd still include? My goal is to really make a no compromises (in any way) system and don't want to let economics dictate what I get- I know that sounds snobby, but it's not meant to be, just trying to get across a point. I've read that at some point years ago there was a bad batch of metal which resulted in some dodgy pots/shafts, so am wondering what years that occurred/what years to avoid? I know more $ doesn't equal 'better' in a lot of cases, but I just am trying to get some objective opinions on the matter. Is a Cwejman VCO, Filter, VCA, etc. night and day better than a Doepfer one w/ same functions?

...and can anyone maybe comment re: the A-106-6 Xpander filter? Picking out a filter is proving to be the hardest decision for me in starting a system, but I was recommended that by a Euro-geek friend whose opinion I trust. He has some very pricey modules/synths and highly recommends some of the D stuff, money-aside. What I found so cool to learn was that Doepfer is using through-hole- it's just something I prefer when possible. Another module my buddy recommended was the A-141-2.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
I've gotta' ask... what's the general consensus re: Doepfer?
If I had more HP I would probably be closer to 100% Doepfer... as it stands i'm at about 50%. I love Dieter's stuff and to me it's what I love about modular - 1 knob per function, easy to fix or mod and sounds great.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Pulled out the DSO oscilloscope and took a look to be sure ... You're attenuating the amplitude or voltage range of the random source. Gates would be affected differently, in that they probably wouldn't be affected until the extremes. A gate fires at a certain threshold.
thanks that is super helpful..
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Doepfer gear is A grade, I still want to build a %100 Doepfer system one day, after I finish my %100 AS one first perhaps..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search