The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th June 2017
  #4141
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So the loan on the house was approved. Closing tomorrow, getting the keys on Thursday, and start moving in on Friday, with the bulk of it getting moved in on Saturday. I'm thinking about how I want my modular racks, and I'm toying with the idea of stacking them so that instead of 20u racks holding 18u of modular, they'd essentially be 40u racks holding twelve rows each. It would make it taller, but it would also mean more space to grow.

Also, a friend of mine sent some audio of what he's been doing with just a Mother 32 and a Rainmaker. Now I'm really bonering HARD for a Rainmaker. I hate having no play money.
Houses are expensive bro!

Congrats and gl tomorrow.
Old 13th June 2017
  #4142
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Houses are expensive bro!

Congrats and gl tomorrow.
One of many reasons I didn't want to buy a house. I'd rather buy modular.
3
Share
Old 13th June 2017
  #4143
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
On the subject of the Virus and oscillators I found these threads very interesting. And started me thinking, well how do the TI2 oscillators sound on their own with all the effects and modulation removed. So I listened to the Sine, Saw, Triangle waves and they sounded okay. A little flat though so I tried adding a little medium LFO to the oscillator and at low octave it sounded quite pleasing and very usable. So then I thought I'll compare it to the Alpha Juno and the sawtooth wave. I turned pretty much everything of in a bass patch but still it has so much more character and deeper sounding. Really no contest. This is of course the sound of the filter as well as the filter. I do like the sound of the Virus pad patches but still there is a little something about the character that my ears tell me isn't quite right. I don't get this from the Alpha Juno or the Omikron oscillator which sounds great. I have really tried to like it but I think when the DM desktop comes out I might have change.

Interesting to hear you've just bought another.
I agree, the TI2 has a weird character to it overall. Still, it's worth it for the flexibility. Once again, she's going to be my only polyphony box.
Old 13th June 2017
  #4144
Here for the gear
 

I'm looking to expand on my Mother 32. I'm tryin to turn an old travel briefcase into a eurorack case. It seems like I could get 2 rows of about 80 Hp. Anyone successfully do that on here? Seems like the cheapest/safest option for my gear. So far I've settled on an STO,Disting,Peaks, Wasp filter. I'd love to get Maths but space is limited. I like the Function module quite a bit tho. Thanks for any input.
Old 13th June 2017
  #4145
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Wife won't let me have it till my birthday

6
Share
Old 13th June 2017
  #4146
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Wife won't let me have it till my birthday
Damn, lot of qu-bit love going on. I'm eyeing a chord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
One of many reasons I didn't want to buy a house. I'd rather buy modular.
Your doing it wrong.

You need to build a big enough modular system to live in. Duh.
2
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4147
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
Old 14th June 2017
  #4148
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Today, I did the unthinkable and moved the Omikron out of my "performance" rack. Yes, the ER-301 is that good now that I've figured out Custom Units. Derp and Fiddlestickz (and anyone else), you guys NEED one of these damn things. It's expensive, but you'll save so much in the long run.
2
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4149
Lives for gear
 

I spent the whole evening updating my O_c to v1.3 and my NEW Pamela to v196. now i've done it once it'll be smoother next time. looking to dive into the new firmwares tomorrow.

& yeah, I need an er-301. 3 month wait time? I'm already waiting for an e370,,, do I wanna be waiting for two things? bump the fourmulator for the er301? I've got a pam, octo, & batumi & O_c, so envelopes are a plenty already.... maybe bump the A-143-2 instead but I do like its EOD & EOR triggers... decisions decisions...
Old 14th June 2017
  #4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuduTek View Post
I'm looking to expand on my Mother 32. I'm tryin to turn an old travel briefcase into a eurorack case. It seems like I could get 2 rows of about 80 Hp. Anyone successfully do that on here? Seems like the cheapest/safest option for my gear. So far I've settled on an STO,Disting,Peaks, Wasp filter. I'd love to get Maths but space is limited. I like the Function module quite a bit tho. Thanks for any input.
I sold Maths and bought Function. It's a great module.
2
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4151
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
If you can find one, sure....
They're in stock at ctrl-mod at the moment.

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/three-sisters
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4152
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Got complete module freeze atm. Have 40u and £ 400 and can't decide what to get. I want to buy something dammit!!
Old 14th June 2017
  #4153
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuduTek View Post
I'm looking to expand on my Mother 32. I'm tryin to turn an old travel briefcase into a eurorack case. It seems like I could get 2 rows of about 80 Hp. Anyone successfully do that on here? Seems like the cheapest/safest option for my gear. So far I've settled on an STO,Disting,Peaks, Wasp filter. I'd love to get Maths but space is limited. I like the Function module quite a bit tho. Thanks for any input.
I've seen some briefcase systems on Muff's. One thing to mind though is depth. Do you want to restrict how deep your modules can go? Most modules these days are skiff-friendly, but it still means you would have to skip things like a lot of Doepfer, older Analogue Solutions, Analog Systems, Feedback 106 Chorus, etc.
Old 14th June 2017
  #4154
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
We can only hope, man. The more newbs that buy in and find out it isn't what they thought it would be, the cheaper it gets on the secondhand market.
2
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4155
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Got complete module freeze atm. Have 40u and £ 400 and can't decide what to get. I want to buy something dammit!!
If you want recommendations, you're going to have to get a lot more vague than that. You've already provided so much detail!
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4156
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
https://reverb.com/news/choosing-the...-your-eurorack

It's mostly for trying to sell you on modules, but there's some interesting tidbits in here, and it does go into details on their module choices. I had no idea you could run external stuff through the Piston Honda until reading this.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4157
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you want recommendations, you're going to have to get a lot more vague than that. You've already provided so much detail!
I know, it's an accurate representation of my brain at the moment! I've had some great recommendations in this thread, watched lots of videos and played modulargrid to death. I've had populated shopping carts, the lot. I'm nowhere.

Think I'll buy some VCAs.
2
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4158
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I know, it's an accurate representation of my brain at the moment! I've had some great recommendations in this thread, watched lots of videos and played modulargrid to death. I've had populated shopping carts, the lot. I'm nowhere.

Think I'll buy some VCAs.
Do you have an O_C yet? This thing is like the Maths of sequencer tools. Just feed it triggers and CV, and it'll quantize, randomize, chordize, and turingize anything. Kind of a pain to navigate the menu, but it's such a useful module.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4159
Lives for gear
 

so O_c with the new 1.3v
Quote:
a closed-loop "auto-tune" system which can automatically derive compensation curves for specific voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs) connected to specific pitch CV outputs of O&C - this can dramatically improve the pitch tracking performance of many VCOs
OMG
so those oscillators that don't track properly (which I'd have to use Silent Way to track)... O_c will compensate and get them inline. FU*K YEAH.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
I think that's hilarious
Old 14th June 2017
  #4161
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I agree, the TI2 has a weird character to it overall. Still, it's worth it for the flexibility. Once again, she's going to be my only polyphony box.
I like the virus sound and the quality of the TI2. I have two Polars and two Darkstars.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4162
I know it's boring, but I tend to buy things when I have a use for them.
Got a big drum project coming up, so I recently bought a Mutant Rimshot and will buy the NE LI Percido as soon as it's available.
I'm working on a techno remix, so just ordered my first Random Source module (Wave Multipliers, a module I know and love from Serge systems) and I was trying to get a super fast sequencer part going on it, then realised I needed to get a 4ms Clock Multiplier to achieve the speed and groove I was trying to create.

So there's probably $1000 spent right there.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
Looks like it's mostly a DJ box. Heavy on triggering and audio processing/fx.
Old 14th June 2017
  #4164
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
so O_c with the new 1.3v

OMG
so those oscillators that don't track properly (which I'd have to use Silent Way to track)... O_c will compensate and get them inline. FU*K YEAH.
Wow. This could be a game changer. I can't wait to get mine updated and try it out. Might need another O_C or two if it can do the Autotune thing really well.
Old 14th June 2017
  #4165
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
On the subject of the Virus and oscillators I found these threads very interesting. And started me thinking, well how do the TI2 oscillators sound on their own with all the effects and modulation removed. So I listened to the Sine, Saw, Triangle waves and they sounded okay. A little flat though so I tried adding a little medium LFO to the oscillator and at low octave it sounded quite pleasing and very usable. So then I thought I'll compare it to the Alpha Juno and the sawtooth wave. I turned pretty much everything off in a bass patch and on listening to both was surprised and how much more character and deeper sounding the AJ is. Really no contest. This is of course the sound of the filter as well as the oscillator and everything else in between.
The notion of "character" is, of course, subjective, but I think it's the most important thing to listen for when judging an oscillator. If an oscillator doesn't have character (however you choose to define it), then a filter will do little more than alter the tone of a sound which lacks character, a VCA amplify it, an envelope shape it, etc.

Going back to the Micromac, when I first got it, I was very excited to test it out. So I set all the controls to the most basic patch possible and began listening to only VCO 1, without filtering, set to a sine wave. 15 minutes would pass before I moved on to the triangle wave (again, without filtering). Then another 15 minutes--in total, a half-hour of jamming on a single oscillator and two basic waveforms.

This experience was revolutionary for me. I'd never spent so much time just altering the pitch of a single oscillator without tweaking other parameters. Somehow, it was musical at its base, that VCO ("musical" being subjective, but again, important). So, while many factors contribute to the success of a patch (What's more important for the human body to function, the heart or the brain?), I now consider the oscillators THE number one first thing to get right.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I know it's boring, but I tend to buy things when I have a use for them.
Got a big drum project coming up, so I recently bought a Mutant Rimshot and will buy the NE LI Percido as soon as it's available.
I'm working on a techno remix, so just ordered my first Random Source module (Wave Multipliers, a module I know and love from Serge systems) and I was trying to get a super fast sequencer part going on it, then realised I needed to get a 4ms Clock Multiplier to achieve the speed and groove I was trying to create.

So there's probably $1000 spent right there.

Same. My last purchase was Veils, ADSRVCA, and Multiplicity. Total need-based utility binge. Since then I've held off all purchases until the 2nd batch of Eloquencers come out, because need...
Old 14th June 2017
  #4167
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

Going back to the Micromac, when I first got it, I was very excited to test it out. So I set all the controls to the most basic patch possible and began listening to only VCO 1, without filtering, set to a sine wave. 15 minutes would pass before I moved on to the triangle wave (again, without filtering). Then another 15 minutes--in total, a half-hour of jamming on a single oscillator and two basic waveforms.
I've never owned any Macbeth synths, but I've always thought his oscillators sounded very strong and full - this based on audio demos and videos of his products.
1
Share
Old 14th June 2017
  #4168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
I know, it's an accurate representation of my brain at the moment! I've had some great recommendations in this thread, watched lots of videos and played modulargrid to death. I've had populated shopping carts, the lot. I'm nowhere.

Think I'll buy some VCAs.
Excellent idea. I can highly recommend Mutable Veils as a solid choice after a couple weeks of use. Or if you are feeling crazy buy anything from Endorphin.es.
Old 14th June 2017
  #4169
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Excellent idea. I can highly recommend Mutable Veils as a solid choice after a couple weeks of use. Or if you are feeling crazy buy anything from Endorphin.es.
What does veils have over intellijell's quad vca? If you have an opinion on the matter.
Old 14th June 2017
  #4170
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The notion of "character" is, of course, subjective, but I think it's the most important thing to listen for when judging an oscillator. If an oscillator doesn't have character (however you choose to define it), then a filter will do little more than alter the tone of a sound which lacks character, a VCA amplify it, an envelope shape it, etc.

Going back to the Micromac, when I first got it, I was very excited to test it out. So I set all the controls to the most basic patch possible and began listening to only VCO 1, without filtering, set to a sine wave. 15 minutes would pass before I moved on to the triangle wave (again, without filtering). Then another 15 minutes--in total, a half-hour of jamming on a single oscillator and two basic waveforms.

This experience was revolutionary for me. I'd never spent so much time just altering the pitch of a single oscillator without tweaking other parameters. Somehow, it was musical at its base, that VCO ("musical" being subjective, but again, important). So, while many factors contribute to the success of a patch (What's more important for the human body to function, the heart or the brain?), I now consider the oscillators THE number one first thing to get right.
Have you ever had a chance to try Jurgen's Living Vco's? I have a kit on the way, I've been wanting to build one since coming across his work a bit before he passed. Finally purchased the R*S reissue.

What are your favorites in euro, VCO wise? Assuming your a macbeth x-series fan then? Doepfer high end?

As an aside I had almost written off Doepfer till some of your posts reminded me to give them another go ( ssm filter on the way ) so thanks for that reminder!
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump