The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So the loan on the house was approved. Closing tomorrow, getting the keys on Thursday, and start moving in on Friday, with the bulk of it getting moved in on Saturday. I'm thinking about how I want my modular racks, and I'm toying with the idea of stacking them so that instead of 20u racks holding 18u of modular, they'd essentially be 40u racks holding twelve rows each. It would make it taller, but it would also mean more space to grow.

Also, a friend of mine sent some audio of what he's been doing with just a Mother 32 and a Rainmaker. Now I'm really bonering HARD for a Rainmaker. I hate having no play money.
Houses are expensive bro!

Congrats and gl tomorrow.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Houses are expensive bro!

Congrats and gl tomorrow.
One of many reasons I didn't want to buy a house. I'd rather buy modular.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
On the subject of the Virus and oscillators I found these threads very interesting. And started me thinking, well how do the TI2 oscillators sound on their own with all the effects and modulation removed. So I listened to the Sine, Saw, Triangle waves and they sounded okay. A little flat though so I tried adding a little medium LFO to the oscillator and at low octave it sounded quite pleasing and very usable. So then I thought I'll compare it to the Alpha Juno and the sawtooth wave. I turned pretty much everything of in a bass patch but still it has so much more character and deeper sounding. Really no contest. This is of course the sound of the filter as well as the filter. I do like the sound of the Virus pad patches but still there is a little something about the character that my ears tell me isn't quite right. I don't get this from the Alpha Juno or the Omikron oscillator which sounds great. I have really tried to like it but I think when the DM desktop comes out I might have change.

Interesting to hear you've just bought another.
I agree, the TI2 has a weird character to it overall. Still, it's worth it for the flexibility. Once again, she's going to be my only polyphony box.
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear

I'm looking to expand on my Mother 32. I'm tryin to turn an old travel briefcase into a eurorack case. It seems like I could get 2 rows of about 80 Hp. Anyone successfully do that on here? Seems like the cheapest/safest option for my gear. So far I've settled on an STO,Disting,Peaks, Wasp filter. I'd love to get Maths but space is limited. I like the Function module quite a bit tho. Thanks for any input.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Wife won't let me have it till my birthday

Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Wife won't let me have it till my birthday
Damn, lot of qu-bit love going on. I'm eyeing a chord.

Quote:
One of many reasons I didn't want to buy a house. I'd rather buy modular.
Your doing it wrong.

You need to build a big enough modular system to live in. Duh.
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Today, I did the unthinkable and moved the Omikron out of my "performance" rack. Yes, the ER-301 is that good now that I've figured out Custom Units. Derp and Fiddlestickz (and anyone else), you guys NEED one of these damn things. It's expensive, but you'll save so much in the long run.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

I spent the whole evening updating my O_c to v1.3 and my NEW Pamela to v196. now i've done it once it'll be smoother next time. looking to dive into the new firmwares tomorrow.

& yeah, I need an er-301. 3 month wait time? I'm already waiting for an e370,,, do I wanna be waiting for two things? bump the fourmulator for the er301? I've got a pam, octo, & batumi & O_c, so envelopes are a plenty already.... maybe bump the A-143-2 instead but I do like its EOD & EOR triggers... decisions decisions...
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuduTek View Post
I'm looking to expand on my Mother 32. I'm tryin to turn an old travel briefcase into a eurorack case. It seems like I could get 2 rows of about 80 Hp. Anyone successfully do that on here? Seems like the cheapest/safest option for my gear. So far I've settled on an STO,Disting,Peaks, Wasp filter. I'd love to get Maths but space is limited. I like the Function module quite a bit tho. Thanks for any input.
I sold Maths and bought Function. It's a great module.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
If you can find one, sure....
They're in stock at ctrl-mod at the moment.

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/three-sisters
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Got complete module freeze atm. Have 40u and £ 400 and can't decide what to get. I want to buy something dammit!!
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuduTek View Post
I've seen some briefcase systems on Muff's. One thing to mind though is depth. Do you want to restrict how deep your modules can go? Most modules these days are skiff-friendly, but it still means you would have to skip things like a lot of Doepfer, older Analogue Solutions, Analog Systems, Feedback 106 Chorus, etc.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
oh gawd now there will be copycat modularists with identical cases an modules everywhere..
We can only hope, man. The more newbs that buy in and find out it isn't what they thought it would be, the cheaper it gets on the secondhand market.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Got complete module freeze atm. Have 40u and £ 400 and can't decide what to get. I want to buy something dammit!!
If you want recommendations, you're going to have to get a lot more vague than that. You've already provided so much detail!
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

https://reverb.com/news/choosing-the...-your-eurorack

It's mostly for trying to sell you on modules, but there's some interesting tidbits in here, and it does go into details on their module choices. I had no idea you could run external stuff through the Piston Honda until reading this.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you want recommendations, you're going to have to get a lot more vague than that. You've already provided so much detail!
I know, it's an accurate representation of my brain at the moment! I've had some great recommendations in this thread, watched lots of videos and played modulargrid to death. I've had populated shopping carts, the lot. I'm nowhere.

Think I'll buy some VCAs.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know, it's an accurate representation of my brain at the moment! I've had some great recommendations in this thread, watched lots of videos and played modulargrid to death. I've had populated shopping carts, the lot. I'm nowhere.

Do you have an O_C yet? This thing is like the Maths of sequencer tools. Just feed it triggers and CV, and it'll quantize, randomize, chordize, and turingize anything. Kind of a pain to navigate the menu, but it's such a useful module.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

so O_c with the new 1.3v
Quote:
a closed-loop "auto-tune" system which can automatically derive compensation curves for specific voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs) connected to specific pitch CV outputs of O&C - this can dramatically improve the pitch tracking performance of many VCOs
OMG
so those oscillators that don't track properly (which I'd have to use Silent Way to track)... O_c will compensate and get them inline. FU*K YEAH.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
I think that's hilarious
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, the TI2 has a weird character to it overall. Still, it's worth it for the flexibility. Once again, she's going to be my only polyphony box.
I like the virus sound and the quality of the TI2. I have two Polars and two Darkstars.
Old 14th June 2017
I know it's boring, but I tend to buy things when I have a use for them.
Got a big drum project coming up, so I recently bought a Mutant Rimshot and will buy the NE LI Percido as soon as it's available.
I'm working on a techno remix, so just ordered my first Random Source module (Wave Multipliers, a module I know and love from Serge systems) and I was trying to get a super fast sequencer part going on it, then realised I needed to get a 4ms Clock Multiplier to achieve the speed and groove I was trying to create.

So there's probably $1000 spent right there.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Looks like it's mostly a DJ box. Heavy on triggering and audio processing/fx.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
so O_c with the new 1.3v

OMG
so those oscillators that don't track properly (which I'd have to use Silent Way to track)... O_c will compensate and get them inline. FU*K YEAH.
Wow. This could be a game changer. I can't wait to get mine updated and try it out. Might need another O_C or two if it can do the Autotune thing really well.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
On the subject of the Virus and oscillators I found these threads very interesting. And started me thinking, well how do the TI2 oscillators sound on their own with all the effects and modulation removed. So I listened to the Sine, Saw, Triangle waves and they sounded okay. A little flat though so I tried adding a little medium LFO to the oscillator and at low octave it sounded quite pleasing and very usable. So then I thought I'll compare it to the Alpha Juno and the sawtooth wave. I turned pretty much everything off in a bass patch and on listening to both was surprised and how much more character and deeper sounding the AJ is. Really no contest. This is of course the sound of the filter as well as the oscillator and everything else in between.
The notion of "character" is, of course, subjective, but I think it's the most important thing to listen for when judging an oscillator. If an oscillator doesn't have character (however you choose to define it), then a filter will do little more than alter the tone of a sound which lacks character, a VCA amplify it, an envelope shape it, etc.

Going back to the Micromac, when I first got it, I was very excited to test it out. So I set all the controls to the most basic patch possible and began listening to only VCO 1, without filtering, set to a sine wave. 15 minutes would pass before I moved on to the triangle wave (again, without filtering). Then another 15 minutes--in total, a half-hour of jamming on a single oscillator and two basic waveforms.

This experience was revolutionary for me. I'd never spent so much time just altering the pitch of a single oscillator without tweaking other parameters. Somehow, it was musical at its base, that VCO ("musical" being subjective, but again, important). So, while many factors contribute to the success of a patch (What's more important for the human body to function, the heart or the brain?), I now consider the oscillators THE number one first thing to get right.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I know it's boring, but I tend to buy things when I have a use for them.
Got a big drum project coming up, so I recently bought a Mutant Rimshot and will buy the NE LI Percido as soon as it's available.
I'm working on a techno remix, so just ordered my first Random Source module (Wave Multipliers, a module I know and love from Serge systems) and I was trying to get a super fast sequencer part going on it, then realised I needed to get a 4ms Clock Multiplier to achieve the speed and groove I was trying to create.

So there's probably $1000 spent right there.

Same. My last purchase was Veils, ADSRVCA, and Multiplicity. Total need-based utility binge. Since then I've held off all purchases until the 2nd batch of Eloquencers come out, because need...
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

Going back to the Micromac, when I first got it, I was very excited to test it out. So I set all the controls to the most basic patch possible and began listening to only VCO 1, without filtering, set to a sine wave. 15 minutes would pass before I moved on to the triangle wave (again, without filtering). Then another 15 minutes--in total, a half-hour of jamming on a single oscillator and two basic waveforms.
I've never owned any Macbeth synths, but I've always thought his oscillators sounded very strong and full - this based on audio demos and videos of his products.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:

Excellent idea. I can highly recommend Mutable Veils as a solid choice after a couple weeks of use. Or if you are feeling crazy buy anything from Endorphin.es.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Excellent idea. I can highly recommend Mutable Veils as a solid choice after a couple weeks of use. Or if you are feeling crazy buy anything from Endorphin.es.
What does veils have over intellijell's quad vca? If you have an opinion on the matter.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The notion of "character" is, of course, subjective, but I think it's the most important thing to listen for when judging an oscillator. If an oscillator doesn't have character (however you choose to define it), then a filter will do little more than alter the tone of a sound which lacks character, a VCA amplify it, an envelope shape it, etc.

This experience was revolutionary for me. I'd never spent so much time just altering the pitch of a single oscillator without tweaking other parameters. Somehow, it was musical at its base, that VCO ("musical" being subjective, but again, important). So, while many factors contribute to the success of a patch (What's more important for the human body to function, the heart or the brain?), I now consider the oscillators THE number one first thing to get right.
Have you ever had a chance to try Jurgen's Living Vco's? I have a kit on the way, I've been wanting to build one since coming across his work a bit before he passed. Finally purchased the R*S reissue.

What are your favorites in euro, VCO wise? Assuming your a macbeth x-series fan then? Doepfer high end?

As an aside I had almost written off Doepfer till some of your posts reminded me to give them another go ( ssm filter on the way ) so thanks for that reminder!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search