The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th June 2017
Anyone got Qu Bit's Chance yet? Like it? I just ordered one alongside a Freez and a new Pam. It looks like an excellent random module.
Old 11th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my Dreadbox Theta LFO. I really like the feel of the controls, the usability, simplicity, intuitiveness is perfect but it seems a bit limited now and would like something more capable. I also have a Maths so I guess something that would complement this rather than be the same thing. I like having a LFO module that I understand what it's doing rather than another Maths (I have thought about this). I saw the E355 mentioned on a forum and this looks damn good. Anything else I should consider? I also have Tides btw but not so into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJvya2YV4g
Check out audio damage octocontroller. Super easy to grok/use and massive functionality.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Sliders on Batumi are absolutely fine. I don't miss knobs at all.
Good to know.
Sizewise Batumi fits better than the Vermona FourMulator Quad LFO (in my case). But that Vermona Quad LFO is indead really awesome!
@fiddlestickz I have heart a lot of your tracks. Great tracks! So your words weigh heavy (dutch expression, don't know how to say that in an other way).
More than a year ago my plan was to fill a 6U 84hp rack that acts as a 2-voice synth, including 3 drum voices. I am on my way
Changed the plan a bit and 6U 84hp will end up in 6U 104hp....
It will be beautiful and powerfull. Easy to handle and easy to tame. But sometimes a bit dirty and very wild.
A case with enough modulation and randomness going on. Not a easy job, but it will fit. And not a case full of 2hp and pico

After that I am not finished
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Think I'm going for a Three Sisters next. I see lots of possibilities....

Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Think I'm going for a Three Sisters next. I see lots of possibilities....

Three Sisters is a ridiculously good filter! I think you'll be happy with that purchase.
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Three Sisters is a ridiculously good filter! I think you'll be happy with that purchase.
Old 12th June 2017
Shameless Self Promotion... but it's Modular!

Hey everyone, I just released a full length album today that was recorded using only Eurorack modules... this is a trailer for the release of the limited edition "Wavescaper" Cassette (only 50 cassette tapes have been made for this release. Also includes unlimited streaming of Wavescaper via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.)

"Wavescaper is a series of musical explorations, each performed and recorded live in one take using a fairly modest eurorack modular system; with no other external gear, overdubs, or multi-tracking involved..."

You can check out the release at https://genshi.bandcamp.com

Old 12th June 2017
Gear Guru

System 8 provides the supersaw huge bassline..
Drums are a mix of modular and software..
acid line is SH 101
Glangy percussive sound is Basimilus Iteritas
another acid like sound is atlantis
2 pad sounds and one random modulated sound at start/intro till around 0:30 ish and the last minute or so is all Deepmind 12..

Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can find one, sure....
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

System 8 provides the supersaw huge bassline..
Drums are a mix of modular and software..
acid line is SH 101
Glangy percussive sound is Basimilus Iteritas
another acid like sound is atlantis
2 pad sounds and one random modulated sound at start/intro till around 0:30 ish and the last minute or so is all Deepmind 12..

Like the groove in that one, similar to my style.
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Addict

Some modular hiphop from the weekend. An etude in scratching with Planar and the OD ER-301

Patch notes: the Planar's sense gate is the run signal for the sample (with an ADSR). The joystick is controling playback speed. (Worth noting this modulation is bipolar, translating to forward and reverse playback up to 2x speed.) The gate button is turning on a 301 internal VCA (also with an ADSR for de-clicking).

The drum sounds are also out of 301, being sequenced by trigger outs from DrumDokta. There is a little position modulation on the highhat sample which brings in something that sounds like a tom, and gives a little bit of swing on the hat.
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, Thanks for LFO comments. mmm... good to have a choice, now I'm really confused. They all look good but the Vermona and Octocontroller have my interest the most. So I have a follow up question. On my Dreadbox Theta it has a depth control which is great - I use this a lot and most LFO's I've seen don't have this feature - do these do this or do you have to do it separately with a VCA?

Batumi
Vermona fourmulator
Octocontroller
E355
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-theta.jpg  
Old 12th June 2017
Quote:
On my Dreadbox Theta it has a depth control which is great - I use this a lot and most LFO's I've seen don't have this feature - do these do this or do you have to do it separately with a VCA?

Batumi
Vermona fourmulator
Octocontroller
E355
Yeah you use VCA's for depth control on the Octocontroller or any LFO without one built in like your Dreadbox...
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for LFO comments. mmm... good to have a choice, now I'm really confused. They all look good but the Vermona and Octocontroller have my interest the most. So I have a follow up question. On my Dreadbox Theta it has a depth control which is great - I use this a lot and most LFO's I've seen don't have this feature - do these do this or do you have to do it separately with a VCA?

Batumi
Vermona fourmulator
Octocontroller
E355
The expert firmware on the Batumi enables a "depth" mode. Something to really consider is to look at your rack and identify how many modules don't already have an attenuation. For me with 4x104hp in my newly shuffled rack, I think it was no more than three that might need it.
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Vermona formulator is my LFO of choice.. I love it to bits, it's included in every single track I write, usually as a mod source for drums/filtering
Have you tried other LFO modules, like Batumi, or Octocontroller (I just received)?
What's your experience? Why do you love it? ^^
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Have you tried other LFO modules, like Batumi, or Octocontroller (I just received)?
What's your experience? Why do you love it? ^^
the only other LFO's I've used and still use on occaision are the ones that are part of most oscillators, most oscillators will have a switch or button that makes them act as LFO's too.

The reason I bought the Fourmulator is because it's super simple, beautifully built and dead easy to use, it's so easy to read and works just like I think.. it even turns into a nice 4 part modulation sequencer should the need arise..
Old 13th June 2017
Anyone ever mount their modules upside down? I saw this in a video, the guy had a few upside down modules, and it cleaned up the cables spaghetti a little by the look of it. Seems like it would be fine except turning knobs the wrong way by accident...
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Anyone ever mount their modules upside down? I saw this in a video, the guy had a few upside down modules, and it cleaned up the cables spaghetti a little by the look of it. Seems like it would be fine except turning knobs the wrong way by accident...
If I turn a module upside down - clockwise turning knobs still turn clockwise.

maybe he was in Australia?
Old 13th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
If I turn a module upside down - clockwise turning knobs still turn clockwise.

maybe he was in Australia?
I was referring to me but yeah, didn't think that through all the way about physics and the universe and all that (caffeine needs to kick in).

The question stands, however. Do you in fact turn any modules upside down?
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
it only took me 3 years, and 6 or 7 modular grid racks, and going from freelance to salary to get started with eurorack.

Sigh...

Say goodbye to your paychecks!
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is no worry of turning a knob the wrong way when it is upside down (or sideways for that matter) because the direction is always the same. For instance turning the volume "up" is typically a clockwise motion regardless of module orientation . . . unless you mount modules on the back side of your case, then you are screwed!

For a while I had the entire bottom row of my eurorack briefcase mounted upside down and it certainly kept most of the knobs and switches free and clear of cable clutter but it was sort of terrible for shooting video demos and not as visually pleasing to look at. And the Yarns display is hard enough to read and comprehend rightside up!

If I find myself doing a lot of live performances or a tour with that case I may flip the bottom row upside down again, maybe. Modules have changed again, here's the current config:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/434335
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
There is no worry of turning a knob the wrong way when it is upside down (or sideways for that matter) because the direction is always the same. For instance turning the volume "up" is typically a clockwise motion regardless of module orientation . . . unless you mount modules on the back side of your case, then you are screwed!

For a while I had the entire bottom row of my eurorack briefcase mounted upside down and it certainly kept most of the knobs and switches free and clear of cable clutter but it was sort of terrible for shooting video demos and not as visually pleasing to look at. And the Yarns display is hard enough to read and comprehend rightside up!

If I find myself doing a lot of live performances or a tour with that case I may flip the bottom row upside down again, maybe. Modules have changed again, here's the current config:
I am trying to make sense of your system. Is it built for 4 voice polyphony?
Old 13th June 2017
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone sample their modular?

I was interested at looking into doing this, instead of losing sounds I like. Which I know I could get close to recreating again, doing mostly basic subtractive patches. But it's still gone, like a guitar riff. I might instinctively play the same riff again when I'm in a particular mood and it might resurface again through jamming. So sampling will be a nice source of notetaking, building instruments and a library of stuff I like from the modular.

What sampler software do you guys use? I saw before someone mentioning Kontakt but having to sample several keys across the scale which sounds a pain. I just came across Halion 6 live sampler which sounds simple.
Sampling dude here. Renoise gets used the most for sampling just because it's dead easy to use and quick for other people's project, and it has an awesome retuning capability to get the samples in tune. Hardware, I'll use an MPC for percussive parts and a Fantom G for melodic parts. Takes a little more effort to get things in tune on those two, but the effects make it worthwhile.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Keep it coming! The more people that buy in because Dead Mow Five or Aphex did it, the cheaper we can get some hot modules secondhand!
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I did a blind test and actually haven't found that to be true.
For instance, the TT Z3000 mk1 has a very unpure sine wave - which surprised me.
The Buchla 258 sounds much bigger than the Cwejman Osc at the exact same db level.
I now look more carefully at oscillators, because until this test I was very much in agreement with you - they all sound pretty much the same - but I discovered they don't.
Same here. I'm always comparing everything to DotCom and ASol oscillators because in a blind test with myself, there's a noticeable difference between those and everything else. Like with MFB, those oscillators sound like somebody draped a blanket over the speakers and Noise Reap oscillators sound kind of sharp.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you in fact turn any modules upside down?
I turn those SoundMachines modules upside down so that they're jacks up, but then again, they're designed to do that, including jumpers on the back to reorient the touch pad/strip. But yeah, other than controller modules, I'm not seeing much point in it.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

So the loan on the house was approved. Closing tomorrow, getting the keys on Thursday, and start moving in on Friday, with the bulk of it getting moved in on Saturday. I'm thinking about how I want my modular racks, and I'm toying with the idea of stacking them so that instead of 20u racks holding 18u of modular, they'd essentially be 40u racks holding twelve rows each. It would make it taller, but it would also mean more space to grow.

Also, a friend of mine sent some audio of what he's been doing with just a Mother 32 and a Rainmaker. Now I'm really bonering HARD for a Rainmaker. I hate having no play money.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I am trying to make sense of your system. Is it built for 4 voice polyphony?
Yes, pretty much but it didn't start out that way.

Here's what it ended up looking like before I had to sell off a majority of the modules several years ago (financial and time issues). It was probably a more balanced system featuring all of the first series of Synth Tech modules and the Division6/Mattson SQ816 sequencer.

A couple years ago I started to rebuild it and it has undergone MANY revisions since but I "think" I'm close to being "finished" (can't say that without much ) and is a pretty sweet "4 voice plus" system for mono to poly keyboard playing, sequencing and arpeggios:

Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Oh yeah, I'll love it. This is the second time I've had a TI2 and the third Virus overall. Funny thing is that after owning a Virus B, I hated the Virus synths. I only got the TI2 for this cheesy trance project I got roped into and figured it would be great as a preset box. The thing about the presets on the TI2 is that there are so many of them that it's faster to just roll your own sounds rather than sift through thousands of patches. I learned that synth inside and out and watched it grow more powerful with each OS upgrade. It isn't a perfect machine by far, but I work quickly with it.

It really proved its worth when I had a room full of analog synths and couldn't get a decent composition going for the life of me. Decided to just sit down with the TI2 and an MPC1000, and my output went up dramatically. I replaced the Virus sounds with all the mountains of analog I had after the songs were sketched out, and that became the way to work for me. Looking back and listening to that old material though, I think the tracks sounded better when it was just the Virus (heresy, I know).

Last year I sold it so I could get more modular. It's not a decision I regret in the least as the sounds I make now are great, but sometimes I miss the instant gratification of sitting down with a fixed-architecture synth and an MPC and just whipping out songs quickly. I had been thinking of getting a TI2 again much further down the line, but I screwed up and have one arriving today. Hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
In the end, I think everything has something to do with the final sound. Albeit filtering is one of the most dramatic influences.
But this is why individual clone modules never match up to the instruments they are cloning. The MiniMoog's oscillators, vcas and filter have a major effect on the sound of the synth. Likewise the Arp 2600 and the Roland 100M.
It's everything, not just one or two things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Indeed, they do not! I'm to the point now of thinking they are the most fundamental element of a sound. Perhaps this is because... they are!

The beautiful sounding oscillators in the Macbeth Micromac-D are what pushed me to the position of #OscillatorsMatter .
On the subject of the Virus and oscillators I found these threads very interesting. And started me thinking, well how do the TI2 oscillators sound on their own with all the effects and modulation removed. So I listened to the Sine, Saw, Triangle waves and they sounded okay. A little flat though so I tried adding a little medium LFO to the oscillator and at low octave it sounded quite pleasing and very usable. So then I thought I'll compare it to the Alpha Juno and the sawtooth wave. I turned pretty much everything off in a bass patch and on listening to both was surprised and how much more character and deeper sounding the AJ is. Really no contest. This is of course the sound of the filter as well as the oscillator and everything else in between.

I do like the sound of the Virus pad patches but still there is a little something about the character that my ears tell me isn't quite right. I don't get this from the Alpha Juno or the Omikron oscillator which sounds great. I have really tried to like it but I think when the DM desktop comes out I might have to change.

Interesting to hear you've just bought another.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search