The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
it only took me 3 years, and 6 or 7 modular grid racks, and going from freelance to salary to get started with eurorack.

Sigh...

And so it begins...

Beautiful image! It's like witnessing the Beginning of Time.

The Dawn of a New Day.

The Birth of a Baby.

The Apocalypse.
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
I have some new stuff incoming soon. and after that my synth will be complete kinda.

Then I will have:
6 oscs: 3 richer 2, 2 ajh, 1 SE oscillation.
5 filters.
6-7 vca channels
2 vc lfos
4 mixers (2 cp3)
5 chans of adsr
a wooglebug and an ultrafold.
4 seqs: sq1, og beatstep, and then the new stuff coming is a stepper acid and a metropolis (been waiting a looong time on those suckers!), I actually ordered a new 1 row lowcost just for these 2.
and then the regular "utility" stuff to go along with it.

Then its aaalmost done.

in the future I'm thinking about getting a SE scifi (ringmod/noise/s-h), sea devils filter, and maybe the waldorf wavetable osc.

My plan is to be able to have 3-4 sequences playing from the modular, all realtime tweakable.

drums:tr8
tabletop: karp module
Nice collection of modules!
I am curious how you experience the difference between the Richter oscillators and the AJH oscillators. There are some obvious differences (e.g. phase mod) but how do they differ in terms of basic sound?
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I am curious how you experience the difference between the Richter oscillators and the AJH oscillators. There are some obvious differences (e.g. phase mod) but how do they differ in terms of basic sound?
The ajh has not arrived yet. but they are minimoog rev 1.0 oscs, the very firts iteration but now temp compensated and probably buffered. Should sound exactly the same.

The malekko richter osc 2 has no pwm! but insted they have phase moduation, and this usually results in a type of AM effect. amplitide modulation. at least on a a scope.
upside of PM is that the modulation doesn't get out of tune with freq on any of the 3 oscs. its always the same, since its phase mod/phase distortion were talking, and that has nothing at all to do with frequency.

You can stil do FM. and fm'ed pm and pm'ed fm and whatever you want.

But no PWM or PW.

there is no wavelenght switch on the malekkos. there is a coarese and fine tune. thats it. and this is either good or bad for you. depending on what you want.

this is a triangle core vco.

----------------------------------------------

the ajh has PW/PWM and is based on a minimoog osc, and is a saw core vco.

and it sounds exactly like a minimoog rev 1.0

operates with octave switch. non continous sweep.

---------------------------------------------------

the SE is a minimoog copy but improved by SE, this is their only osc, its in all their stuff. same all over.

this one has PW/PWM and sweepable freq. unlike the AJH. Sweepable freq both low and high. No phase mod.

------------------------------------------------------

the reason I bought 2 ajh is that it sounds ****ing good and I want that. But why not 3?? Well the SE has the sound but is sweepable in freq. so its a good mod osc. the ajh has octave switches just like the og minimoog.

But now I have both 1 saw sweepable oscs with pw/pwm, 2 with saw core (the classic sound) and octave switch, and 3 triangle core pm/fm monsters.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone sample their modular?

I was interested at looking into doing this, instead of losing sounds I like. Which I know I could get close to recreating again, doing mostly basic subtractive patches. But it's still gone, like a guitar riff. I might instinctively play the same riff again when I'm in a particular mood and it might resurface again through jamming. So sampling will be a nice source of notetaking, building instruments and a library of stuff I like from the modular.

What sampler software do you guys use? I saw before someone mentioning Kontakt but having to sample several keys across the scale which sounds a pain. I just came across Halion 6 live sampler which sounds simple.

I actually just thought this will be great for sampling other synths as well like my Alpha Juno, 2080 and TI2. Just read that TXW16X also has automapping.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

The actual sounds of the oscs are not that important. They pretty much all sound the same, when producing their basic waves. the difference is in their functions IMO.

But hey even armed with that knowledge I chose the "best" sounding ones as the base for my system. Why choose less??

Many people like the malekko osc 2 as a triangle core osc. so I got that one. And I can also play a triad of that and it has PM and no one else has that.

and for performance/realtime I got the ajh. and to complement them I got an SE that is sweepable.

what could possibly go wrong?
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
to be honest oscillators separated sound extremely much the same no matter the core and type.

BUT

3 saw cores through a cp3 mixer to a classic vca to a moog modular lp filter sounds classic as fuk,

and not at all similar to:

3 triangles core oscs, through a clean mixer to a clean vca to a clean filter like the e440 (set at 0 drive), but if you set the filter at plenty drive then its fukn awesome. pretty much as far as you get from clean.

its like night and day difference in "feel" but not maybe in technical measurable difference in the sound per se.

its how you roll I guess. all up to you.

btw here is a demo of a minimoog.

Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

and this is how a system 15 sounds. (i have the aion filter ((copy)).

oscs has almost nothing to do with the final sound IMO. But hey wtf do I know.

type of osc yes, specific osc no.
Old 10th June 2017
Quote:
to be honest oscillators separated sound extremely much the same no matter the core and type.
I did a blind test and actually haven't found that to be true.
For instance, the TT Z3000 mk1 has a very unpure sine wave - which surprised me.
The Buchla 258 sounds much bigger than the Cwejman Osc at the exact same db level.
I now look more carefully at oscillators, because until this test I was very much in agreement with you - they all sound pretty much the same - but I discovered they don't.
Old 10th June 2017
Quote:

oscs has almost nothing to do with the final sound IMO. But hey wtf do I know.
In the end, I think everything has something to do with the final sound. Albeit filtering is one of the most dramatic influences.
But this is why individual clone modules never match up to the instruments they are cloning.
The MiniMoog's oscillators, vcas and filter have a major effect on the sound of the synth. Likewise the Arp 2600 and the Roland 100M.
It's everything, not just one or two things.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I now look more carefully at oscillators, because until this test I was very much in agreement with you - they all sound pretty much the same - but I discovered they don't.
Indeed, they do not! I'm to the point now of thinking they are the most fundamental element of a sound. Perhaps this is because... they are!

The beautiful sounding oscillators in the Macbeth Micromac-D are what pushed me to the position of #OscillatorsMatter .
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The ajh has not arrived yet. but they are minimoog rev 1.0 oscs, the very firts iteration but now temp compensated and probably buffered. Should sound exactly the same.

The malekko richter osc 2 has no pwm! but insted they have phase moduation, and this usually results in a type of AM effect. amplitide modulation. at least on a a scope.
upside of PM is that the modulation doesn't get out of tune with freq on any of the 3 oscs. its always the same, since its phase mod/phase distortion were talking, and that has nothing at all to do with frequency.

You can stil do FM. and fm'ed pm and pm'ed fm and whatever you want.

But no PWM or PW.

there is no wavelenght switch on the malekkos. there is a coarese and fine tune. thats it. and this is either good or bad for you. depending on what you want.

this is a triangle core vco.

----------------------------------------------

the ajh has PW/PWM and is based on a minimoog osc, and is a saw core vco.

and it sounds exactly like a minimoog rev 1.0

operates with octave switch. non continous sweep.

---------------------------------------------------

the SE is a minimoog copy but improved by SE, this is their only osc, its in all their stuff. same all over.

this one has PW/PWM and sweepable freq. unlike the AJH. Sweepable freq both low and high. No phase mod.

------------------------------------------------------

the reason I bought 2 ajh is that it sounds ****ing good and I want that. But why not 3?? Well the SE has the sound but is sweepable in freq. so its a good mod osc. the ajh has octave switches just like the og minimoog.

But now I have both 1 saw sweepable oscs with pw/pwm, 2 with saw core (the classic sound) and octave switch, and 3 triangle core pm/fm monsters.
Thanks for the detailed answer! Just one question, are you absolutely sure that the Richter osc is triangle core? It was my understanding that the Anti-Oscillator is triangle and the Richter is saw core. You know what it means if I am right, you just have to buy even more oscillators! I recommend the Anti!
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The actual sounds of the oscs are not that important. They pretty much all sound the same, when producing their basic waves. the difference is in their functions IMO.

But hey even armed with that knowledge I chose the "best" sounding ones as the base for my system. Why choose less??

Many people like the malekko osc 2 as a triangle core osc. so I got that one. And I can also play a triad of that and it has PM and no one else has that.

and for performance/realtime I got the ajh. and to complement them I got an SE that is sweepable.

what could possibly go wrong?
There was a blind test posted on Myffwiggler one or two years ago comparing six different oscillators. I was surprised by the big difference in sound. Unfortunately for me I ended up preferring an oscillator I do not have (Dixie 2) over one I have (Richter 2).
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Anyone sample their modular?

I was interested at looking into doing this, instead of losing sounds I like. Which I know I could get close to recreating again, doing mostly basic subtractive patches. But it's still gone, like a guitar riff. I might instinctively play the same riff again when I'm in a particular mood and it might resurface again through jamming. So sampling will be a nice source of notetaking, building instruments and a library of stuff I like from the modular.

What sampler software do you guys use? I saw before someone mentioning Kontakt but having to sample several keys across the scale which sounds a pain. I just came across Halion 6 live sampler which sounds simple.

I actually just thought this will be great for sampling other synths as well like my Alpha Juno, 2080 and TI2. Just read that TXW16X also has automapping.
TAL Sampler or Live's Simpler/Sampler
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Latest track, modular is making my music slooooow down...

Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
TAL Sampler or Live's Simpler/Sampler
Live doesn't do automapping, does it? I want to just play in a few notes and be able to map a voice as an instrument.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I did a blind test and actually haven't found that to be true.
For instance, the TT Z3000 mk1 has a very unpure sine wave - which surprised me.
The Buchla 258 sounds much bigger than the Cwejman Osc at the exact same db level.
ok maube they dont. I know goddamn well they dont. but I also know its not that big of a difference.

sure. you and i, we will gladly dissect the sound of a minimoog osc.

but seriously I just dont think the actual osc makes that much difference? do you think that? I dont at least. -maybe I'm wrong. who knows,
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Live doesn't do automapping, does it? I want to just play in a few notes and be able to map a voice as an instrument.
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do, but Sampler in Live allows for mapping different samples and/or multiple samples to different zones on a keyboard.

How to Create a Multi-Sample in Ableton Sampler | Quadrophone
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah well, all I want to say is that the oscs is the very least important problem you have, at any time.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

and I'm fukn drunk
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have some new stuff incoming soon. and after that my synth will be complete kinda.

Then I will have:
6 oscs: 3 richer 2, 2 ajh, 1 SE oscillation.
5 filters.
6-7 vca channels
2 vc lfos
4 mixers (2 cp3)
5 chans of adsr
a wooglebug and an ultrafold.
4 seqs: sq1, og beatstep, and then the new stuff coming is a stepper acid and a metropolis (been waiting a looong time on those suckers!), I actually ordered a new 1 row lowcost just for these 2.
and then the regular "utility" stuff to go along with it.

Then its aaalmost done.

in the future I'm thinking about getting a SE scifi (ringmod/noise/s-h), sea devils filter, and maybe the waldorf wavetable osc.

My plan is to be able to have 3-4 sequences playing from the modular, all realtime tweakable.

drums:tr8
tabletop: karp module
Thats a legit sounding setup right there!
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do, but Sampler in Live allows for mapping different samples and/or multiple samples to different zones on a keyboard.

How to Create a Multi-Sample in Ableton Sampler | Quadrophone
Apple has Mainstream. You can set it to Midi up and it auto-sample multiple samples, auto-loop them and create an ESX24 instrument. Just set it all the up, click the button and walk away.
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Latest track, modular is making my music slooooow down...

Good stuff, enjoyed it a lot!
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Good stuff, enjoyed it a lot!
Cheers!
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my Dreadbox Theta LFO. I really like the feel of the controls, the usability, simplicity, intuitiveness is perfect but it seems a bit limited now and would like something more capable. I also have a Maths so I guess something that would complement this rather than be the same thing. I like having a LFO module that I understand what it's doing rather than another Maths (I have thought about this). I saw the E355 mentioned on a forum and this looks damn good. Anything else I should consider? I also have Tides btw but not so into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJvya2YV4g
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my Dreadbox Theta LFO. I really like the feel of the controls, the usability, simplicity, intuitiveness is perfect but it seems a bit limited now and would like something more capable. I also have a Maths so I guess something that would complement this rather than be the same thing. I like having a LFO module that I understand what it's doing rather than another Maths (I have thought about this). I saw the E355 mentioned on a forum and this looks damn good. Anything else I should consider?

I'm also looking for a nice lfo. I have MI Peaks, but using that more and more for drums only, or at least 1 Channel for the BD.
E355 looks good!
But still my plan is to buy the Batumi....although it is a bit tiny and I don't know about the sliders....I like knobs
I want a Batumi with knobs yeah!
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my Dreadbox Theta LFO. I really like the feel of the controls, the usability, simplicity, intuitiveness is perfect but it seems a bit limited now and would like something more capable. I also have a Maths so I guess something that would complement this rather than be the same thing. I like having a LFO module that I understand what it's doing rather than another Maths (I have thought about this). I saw the E355 mentioned on a forum and this looks damn good. Anything else I should consider? I also have Tides btw but not so into it.

I also have Tides. Sometimes I really don't get it, but sometimes I really love it......I know user error. Have messed with the PNW and Tides for an hour or so. Nice!
IMHO Tides is not a 'ordinary' LFO. Peaks is better for the standard LFO duties, although no cv input....
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Peaks is better for the standard LFO duties
Oh really? How?
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Oh really? How?
Just turn the knobs and off you go!
Don't forget to set it on 'LFO'.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Guru

Vermona formulator is my LFO of choice.. I love it to bits, it's included in every single track I write, usually as a mod source for drums/filtering
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
I'm also looking for a nice lfo. I have MI Peaks, but using that more and more for drums only, or at least 1 Channel for the BD.
E355 looks good!
But still my plan is to buy the Batumi....although it is a bit tiny and I don't know about the sliders....I like knobs
I want a Batumi with knobs yeah!
Sliders on Batumi are absolutely fine. I don't miss knobs at all.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search