The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Even with the link, it still makes absolutely no sense.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Here's a cool (and easy) mod for that trigger delay:
navs.modular.lab: A-162 Trigger Delay Modification
Interesting. I noticed playing with it last night that the most useful part of the knob is in the first quarter for creating percussion type timings. I could see how a mod to reduce the range would be useful.

Edit - Just realized they are talking about the PW knob not the timing knob.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm curious on the MPC X, but at their new prices, I won't be getting one of those for a very long time and if I do, CV won't be its main focus because it only has eight CV/Gate outputs. I still think the perfect sequencing module has got to be just around the corner now.
I'm currently imagining the BSP synced up to the MPC Live but like I said I'm in no rush. I'm more than happy to let the early adapters do the beta testing.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to that Ginko modular festival tomorrow, is there any module you'd like me to make a video of?
here's a list:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12667534-post11.html
Any other suggestions also welcome of course
Can you ask Ģirts of Erica Synth what's going on with the Graphic modules? [Graphic VCO, Graphic Sequencer...]
And also the Black Input module?
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to that Ginko modular festival tomorrow, is there any module you'd like me to make a video of?
here's a list:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12667534-post11.html
Any other suggestions also welcome of course
Hi,
Could you ask Erica about price and release date for the Drum Sequencer?

Cheers
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Even with the link, it still makes absolutely no sense.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes!

Doepfer A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO
Doepfer A-110-6 Trapezoid Thru Zero Quadrature VCO

Thanks!
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
You will like it I think. I have two of them (polar and darkstar). They are very solid and sould beautiful.
Oh yeah, I'll love it. This is the second time I've had a TI2 and the third Virus overall. Funny thing is that after owning a Virus B, I hated the Virus synths. I only got the TI2 for this cheesy trance project I got roped into and figured it would be great as a preset box. The thing about the presets on the TI2 is that there are so many of them that it's faster to just roll your own sounds rather than sift through thousands of patches. I learned that synth inside and out and watched it grow more powerful with each OS upgrade. It isn't a perfect machine by far, but I work quickly with it.

It really proved its worth when I had a room full of analog synths and couldn't get a decent composition going for the life of me. Decided to just sit down with the TI2 and an MPC1000, and my output went up dramatically. I replaced the Virus sounds with all the mountains of analog I had after the songs were sketched out, and that became the way to work for me. Looking back and listening to that old material though, I think the tracks sounded better when it was just the Virus (heresy, I know).

Last year I sold it so I could get more modular. It's not a decision I regret in the least as the sounds I make now are great, but sometimes I miss the instant gratification of sitting down with a fixed-architecture synth and an MPC and just whipping out songs quickly. I had been thinking of getting a TI2 again much further down the line, but I screwed up and have one arriving today. Hooray!
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's the thing that sucks with the BSP is that it's seemingly so perfect for modular, but at the same time, it's so limited. Plus they're SOOO cheap, if I weren't trying to keep my modular so self-contained, I wouldn't mind getting like four BSP's and chaining them together but again, just couldn't do anything serious with it.

o_c, really isn't 'playable'. It's definitely more of a set it up for a session and leave it alone kind of thing. I wouldn't have minded an extra knob or two just for getting the Turing Machines up and running. It's kind of a pain to control the probability settings with the encoder and lock in a sequence you like. The CV inputs are helpful as you can run like a joystick or some other manual control into it to get more hands-on, but you still have to set that up to make as hands-on as you need it to be.

I'm curious on the MPC X, but at their new prices, I won't be getting one of those for a very long time and if I do, CV won't be its main focus because it only has eight CV/Gate outputs. I still think the perfect sequencing module has got to be just around the corner now.
If you have anything that puts out a controllable reference voltage (I use a Levit8 with no input, or an unclocked channel on a Z8000) then you have external controls. Essentially knobs when you need them, but not when you don't.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
If you have anything that puts out a controllable reference voltage (I use a Levit8 with no input, or an unclocked channel on a Z8000) then you have external controls. Essentially knobs when you need them, but not when you don't.
I imagine it would go well with a joystick module like the Planar. I'm totally on board with the o_c. I think it's one of the more interesting modules out there. It just seems more at home in a larger system and I worry I'd get lost in it for a few weeks and then put it away without ever really learning it. It's more an issue with me than the module. My studio time is limited and I'm usually not wanting to spend it on learning curves.
Old 8th June 2017
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Anyone here is actually using one of these last 3 Midi/CV interfaces?
I have the Shuttle Control, and it's really flexible, and really solid. 16 outs that can be anything - 1v/oct, gates, triggers, clock, sync, lfos, noise... plus it has two more USB sockets - one for another midi controller, and one for powering like a USB lamp.
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Addict

I know nothing about modular. But I do like the sound of the 0 Coast a lot. Is it something I can get the hang of somewhat quickly or should I only buy it if I want to learn and get into modular on a somewhat serious level?

Fwiw, I also like the sound of the Mother 32 a lot from videos I've seen. So if that's "easier" to get into, then that's fine.
Old 9th June 2017
Yeah you'll get into that soon enough. Learn as you go. MakeNoise made plenty of videos, with patch examples of the O-Coast. I like the Mother 32 as well. It's more flexible than I thought when it was released. The Moog one has a sequencer.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Is the SE Oscillation saw or triangle core? Supposedly its the same osc as in the boomstars and tonestars. Anyone know?
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Guru

Sustained guitar sound and three note riff repeating is system 8
ratcheting synth sound is Atlantis and Metropolis
drums are modular
bassline is SH101
weird accordian sounding growly pad sound and other lighter string sound Deepmind..
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
Is the SE Oscillation saw or triangle core? Supposedly its the same osc as in the boomstars and tonestars. Anyone know?
No idea, but the version they use in the Tonestar sounds great.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Ok so my se oscillation arrived today. However. The first pcb behind the faceplate is bent. like the board wouldnt fit correctly with the drilled holes in the faceplate. Should I be worried?

I can post a pic a bit later. have to sleep a little first.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'll love it. This is the second time I've had a TI2 and the third Virus overall. Funny thing is that after owning a Virus B, I hated the Virus synths. I only got the TI2 for this cheesy trance project I got roped into and figured it would be great as a preset box. The thing about the presets on the TI2 is that there are so many of them that it's faster to just roll your own sounds rather than sift through thousands of patches. I learned that synth inside and out and watched it grow more powerful with each OS upgrade. It isn't a perfect machine by far, but I work quickly with it.

It really proved its worth when I had a room full of analog synths and couldn't get a decent composition going for the life of me. Decided to just sit down with the TI2 and an MPC1000, and my output went up dramatically. I replaced the Virus sounds with all the mountains of analog I had after the songs were sketched out, and that became the way to work for me. Looking back and listening to that old material though, I think the tracks sounded better when it was just the Virus (heresy, I know).

Last year I sold it so I could get more modular. It's not a decision I regret in the least as the sounds I make now are great, but sometimes I miss the instant gratification of sitting down with a fixed-architecture synth and an MPC and just whipping out songs quickly. I had been thinking of getting a TI2 again much further down the line, but I screwed up and have one arriving today. Hooray!
That's exactly the reason I'm hanging on to my TI2 but I wonder when I'll ever be able to ease off my modular addiction always driving my attention so that I might be able to use it I'm sure I'll get back there. I'm actually thinking of downgrading to a snow so I can fit it nicely on the side, which I think might work?
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's where modular gets to be fun: Because voltage and audio are the same thing in a modular system, a lot of great things can happen when you're using audio as a modulator and modulators like LFO's and envelopes as oscillators. So with eurorack especially, you're patching equal parts audio and CV. As to whether or not they need to be high quality, I'm in the camp that sees expensive cables as nothing more than snake oil. I've used nothing but the cheapest Radio Shack and Chinese eBay cables for a decade and a half and never had any complaints that could be attributed to the quality of the cable.
Wow that's a revelation. I've always wondered what people are talking audio stuff about. Audio as modulation that does sound cool. So you can use a vco as modulator - that's madness!
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
Ok so my se oscillation arrived today. However. The first pcb behind the faceplate is bent. like the board wouldnt fit correctly with the drilled holes in the faceplate. Should I be worried?

I can post a pic a bit later. have to sleep a little first.
Get in touch with Mark over at SE. He's really good about getting stuff sorted out. I fried my 4075 when I reverse-powered it, and he fixed it for me for free.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
That's exactly the reason I'm hanging on to my TI2 but I wonder when I'll ever be able to ease off my modular addiction always driving my attention so that I might be able to use it I'm sure I'll get back there. I'm actually thinking of downgrading to a snow so I can fit it nicely on the side, which I think might work?
I don't know if I could deal with a downgraded TI. As it stands, the kind of sounds I use only leave me with five or six parts before I start dropping notes. I couldn't imagine putting up with that on a Snow.

Quote:
Wow that's a revelation. I've always wondered what people are talking audio stuff about. Audio as modulation that does sound cool. So you can use a vco as modulator - that's madness!
Yeah, some VCO's are even designed to dip down into LFO ranges. The opposite especially holds true. If you need an extra oscillator, a lot of LFO's can be pushed into audio range. Clocking sequencers at audio rate gives you a basic additive harmonic oscillator. And if you want kind of a flavor of Tides, take an AD envelope and clock it with a square wave oscillator. Zero attack and a tiny bit of decay gives you a saw, just play with the attack and decay to shape it into a triangle or anywhere in between. But yeah, a great rudimentary trick is to have one VCO control the frequency of another one. Putting an envelope-controlled VCA gives you some basic FM. If you want the pitch to be a little more stable, slave the sync oscillator being modulated to the master oscillator's square wave out. And modulating the cutoff of a filter with the same VCO that the filter is processing gives you some really awesome filter FM effects, especially with higher resonance.
Old 9th June 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Why?
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like using the Benjolin as a modulator just as much as I do as an oscillator, maybe even more so. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Aphex Twin had one in his rig in London last week was for modulation purposes more than anything.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Got a FedEx parcel picked email... looks like (i hope) the pre-order from PerfectCircuitAudio is now in stock and shipped.. They never replied to my email from 7 days ago where I was asking on an estimated stock-arrival date, not even to say 'we don't know'... but I think this FedEx is from them.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Got a FedEx parcel picked email... looks like (i hope) the pre-order from PerfectCircuitAudio is now in stock and shipped.. They never replied to my email from 7 days ago where I was asking on an estimated stock-arrival date, not even to say 'we don't know'... but I think this FedEx is from them.
funny. I ordered some stuff yesterday, and I've already been bombarded with emails, sms, tracking info and so on. and some stuff has already arrived from efn/juno/schneiders though.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get in touch with Mark over at SE. He's really good about getting stuff sorted out. I fried my 4075 when I reverse-powered it, and he fixed it for me for free.
I called the shop and sent pic. they said it was ok. also I see no components that could be harmed from the bend, everything is socketed and its mostly jacks and pots on the first board.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

it only took me 3 years, and 6 or 7 modular grid racks, and going from freelance to salary to get started with eurorack.

Sigh...

Old 10th June 2017
Gear Guru

ahh nice 9U Doepfer low cost case, good choice..
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
it only took me 3 years, and 6 or 7 modular grid racks, and going from freelance to salary to get started with eurorack.

Sigh...

your next album: "crying wallet"
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have some new stuff incoming soon. and after that my synth will be complete kinda.

Then I will have:
6 oscs: 3 richer 2, 2 ajh, 1 SE oscillation.
5 filters.
6-7 vca channels
2 vc lfos
4 mixers (2 cp3)
5 chans of adsr
a wooglebug and an ultrafold.
4 seqs: sq1, og beatstep, and then the new stuff coming is a stepper acid and a metropolis (been waiting a looong time on those suckers!), I actually ordered a new 1 row lowcost just for these 2.
and then the regular "utility" stuff to go along with it.

Then its aaalmost done.

in the future I'm thinking about getting a SE scifi (ringmod/noise/s-h), sea devils filter, and maybe the waldorf wavetable osc.

My plan is to be able to have 3-4 sequences playing from the modular, all realtime tweakable.

drums:tr8
tabletop: karp module
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search