The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th June 2017
  #4021
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
*Darth Vader's theme in background*

Yeah, I had a feeling Eloquencer would be your response. I'm not denying that it's a cool and very useful module, but it still doesn't scream master sequencer to me like an MPC or MMT8 does. Somebody's bound to make the ultimate sequencing module soon. Between Eloquencer, Stillson Hammer, and Circadian Rhythms, you can see that they're headed in the right direction. They just need to bring it all together now.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4022
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Any thoughts where I can pick up durable 1/8" patch cables on the cheap lads? Or should I just build my own?
Old 7th June 2017
  #4023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, I had a feeling Eloquencer would be your response. I'm not denying that it's a cool and very useful module, but it still doesn't scream master sequencer to me like an MPC or MMT8 does. Somebody's bound to make the ultimate sequencing module soon. Between Eloquencer, Stillson Hammer, and Circadian Rhythms, you can see that they're headed in the right direction. They just need to bring it all together now.
Not to argue at all, but with a feature set that mimics the Octatrack's midi sequencer plus RYTM's more modern features (e.g. probability trigs) poured into a eurorack module, how exactly does this not "scream master sequencer" at you? No snark, serious question. To me this thing reads like one of the most powerful sequencers in the format...
Old 7th June 2017
  #4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Any thoughts where I can pick up durable 1/8" patch cables on the cheap lads? Or should I just build my own?
On the cheap? Nowhere I know of, let us know if you find them. DIY would be the way to go for saving money. Not sure if this is your angle of thought but...

When I first got into modular I was pretty concerned about the cables and the jacks breaking from constantly plugging and unplugging them. I thought I would end up spending a fortune on cables whether I went with normal molded-end cables and replaced them all the time or by getting high quality cables in the first place. It turns out that the jacks and cables are much more robust than I thought they would be. I have yet to break a single cable actually.

Even so, if George L made modular cables I'd be all over it.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4025
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
On the cheap? Nowhere I know of, let us know if you find them. DIY would be the way to go for saving money. Not sure if this is your angle of thought but...

When I first got into modular I was pretty concerned about the cables and the jacks breaking from constantly plugging and unplugging them. I thought I would end up spending a fortune on cables whether I went with normal molded-end cables and replaced them all the time or by getting high quality cables in the first place. It turns out that the jacks and cables are much more robust than I thought they would be. I have yet to break a single cable actually.

Even so, if George L made modular cables I'd be all over it.
Thanks! I think I'll build my own. I won't go too fancy, just robust and sexy.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4026
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
re: the whole other gear / elektron / master sequencers

I'm pleasantly surprised with my initial planning of integrating my machineddrum (non-uw). I re-bought one back when the price went down last year (I think its my 3rd time buying one? Lol). Basically gets me 4-6 trigger sequencers via the individual outs + 12 tracks of midi sequencer (integrated with a good midi to cv module). Super powerful songmode. Plus p-locks and a bunch of other elektron tricks with sequencing, well and the whole drum machine thing which can sound good if you work around the elektron sound with careful use of the compressor and audio processing, and restraint with certain parameters in the MD machines.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Thanks! I think I'll build my own. I won't go too fancy, just robust and sexy.
Keep in mind you will need a lot- probably more than you think. Varying lengths really help too. I have over 100 and still need more to completely patch everything (not that I need to completely patch everything).
3
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4028
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
On the cheap? Nowhere I know of, let us know if you find them. DIY would be the way to go for saving money. Not sure if this is your angle of thought but...
I'd be pleased to hear if I'm wrong about this, but not sure that's true. Quality issues aside, when I looked into it, DIY-able connectors alone were almost already the price of moulded cables. For "long" cables the economics change a bit, but once you figure in time it made no sense at all. Even if the savings were a bit more significant, what really turned me off in the end is that the openable plugs seemed so much more bulky that I'm not sure I wouldn't be wanting moulded ones at the end of the process anyway.
Old 8th June 2017
  #4029
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
I'd be pleased to hear if I'm wrong about this, but not sure that's true. Quality issues aside, when I looked into it, DIY-able connectors alone were almost already the price of moulded cables. For "long" cables the economics change a bit, but once you figure in time it made no sense at all. Even if the savings were a bit more significant, what really turned me off in the end is that the openable plugs seemed so much more bulky that I'm not sure I wouldn't be wanting moulded ones at the end of the process anyway.
You bring up a good point, and mind you I'm a virgin (semi) modular peep here so go easy but it's all mostly patching in voltage not really signal routing (which is voltage yes but for another topic on another day lol) per se? So you don't really need high quality audio cables no? Or am I way off?
Old 8th June 2017
  #4030
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
You bring up a good point, and mind you I'm a virgin (semi) modular peep here so go easy but it's all mostly patching in voltage not really signal routing (which is voltage yes but for another topic on another day lol) per se? So you don't really need high quality audio cables no? Or am I way off?
That's where modular gets to be fun: Because voltage and audio are the same thing in a modular system, a lot of great things can happen when you're using audio as a modulator and modulators like LFO's and envelopes as oscillators. So with eurorack especially, you're patching equal parts audio and CV. As to whether or not they need to be high quality, I'm in the camp that sees expensive cables as nothing more than snake oil. I've used nothing but the cheapest Radio Shack and Chinese eBay cables for a decade and a half and never had any complaints that could be attributed to the quality of the cable.
4
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4031
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Not to argue at all, but with a feature set that mimics the Octatrack's midi sequencer plus RYTM's more modern features (e.g. probability trigs) poured into a eurorack module, how exactly does this not "scream master sequencer" at you? No snark, serious question. To me this thing reads like one of the most powerful sequencers in the format...
Even the creator of it calls it a 'controlled chance' step sequencer. While it can be programmed to do specific actions, its main focus isn't a carefully planned sequence; it's all about controlled random sequences like what a Stillson Hammer or Turing Machine. Plus there's the limitation of 256 steps, no song mode, and no dedicated control for one-shot modules like drums and effects.

I think something like the NerdSEQ is the closest we have to a dedicated master sequencer. Eighteen total CV and gate outputs, patterns up to 256 steps, 176 patterns, pattern sequencer, and sample playback. Even this, I wouldn't want to make the master sequencer, though.


http://nerdsynth.com/nerdseq/
Old 8th June 2017
  #4032
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Ornaments & Crimes finally came in today. Everything works flawlessly, so no worries about spending $200 for a Taiwanese guy to solder it and program it. I haven't really studied the manual or anything like that, but I did take a pretty deep dive into it and messed with all of the different apps. I've got a lot to learn about this module, but from the outset, I can see its power and how it could be a pretty badass little happy accident engine.
1
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4033
Lives for gear
 

I love the idea of an OTB hardware sequencer setup, and will eventually get one or two I'm sure, but I am happily spoiled by the power and easy editing of Ableton (or Logic or...), so much so that it's going to take one amazing piece of hardware to impress me at this point. Everyone of the ones that are available now feel like stepping back in time, and paying extra for it. I don't love the DAWs and computers for everything, but for Sequencing... I think Euro sequencers have a long way to go, feature and UI wise.
1
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4034
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's here ... Really deep, but just what I was looking for. Also, really nice packaging.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like??
3
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4035
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like??
I want some of what he's smoking..^
8
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Even the creator of it calls it a 'controlled chance' step sequencer. While it can be programmed to do specific actions, its main focus isn't a carefully planned sequence; it's all about controlled random sequences like what a Stillson Hammer or Turing Machine. Plus there's the limitation of 256 steps, no song mode, and no dedicated control for one-shot modules like drums and effects.
Ok now I am gonna argue a little. It does have song mode- he said it in a video, and look at the picture, it has a song mode button on it. It also has some kind of pattern chaining as well. To say its main focus is probability I think is a matter of opinion. I look at it and see a replacement for my Octatrack. The fact that it has probability and random stuff is a bonus to me.

Not sure what you mean by 256 step limit i will have to look that up...

Edit-
From their homepage-
Song Mode (64 songs parts can be built, each song part contains a sequence of 16 patterns; a song can be build chaining up to 256 song parts)
Old 8th June 2017
  #4037
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I've been pretty happy with the BSP as a modular "brain" but lately I've been feeling the limitations. I really like idea of sequencing without a traditional sequencer rather using clock utilities, quantizers and other cv processors to get melodies and rhythms that aren't just basic loops + random. I still have an o_c in my future at some point but I'm still on the fence about the playability of it with only the two encoders for controls. I'm watching how the release of the new MPCs go but I don't think the Digitakt is for me. Anyhow I'm putting off any "brain" purchase and in the mean time I just got a bunch of sequencer helper modules.

4
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4038
Lives for gear
 
Kubase's Avatar
Just found out I'm getting a big promotion at work and my first thought was "I can expand my modular"...
7
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Even the creator of it calls it a 'controlled chance' step sequencer. While it can be programmed to do specific actions, its main focus isn't a carefully planned sequence; it's all about controlled random sequences like what a Stillson Hammer or Turing Machine. Plus there's the limitation of 256 steps, no song mode, and no dedicated control for one-shot modules like drums and effects.
I think you need to give this another read-
MAIN FEATURES

Gate probability independent for each step or track.
CV, CV Variation Probability, and CV Variation Range adjustable for each step or track.
Gate Length, Gate Length Variation Probability, and Gate Variation Range adjustable for each step or track.
Ratcheting Type, Ratcheting Probability, and Ratcheting Variation Probability adjustable for each step or track.
Tempo and shuffle adjust
CV Outputs quantizable in tone / scale
Different step modes ( forward, backward, pendulum, random) independent for each track and pattern.
Track length independent for each track and pattern
Track shifting independent for each track or a group of tracks.
Fill in mode (pressing the track buttons will fill all the gates of the desired tracks).
Quantized (time and pitch) Live recording (CVs and Gates)
Free play mode (using the step buttons keyboard)
Song Mode (64 songs parts can be built, each song part contains a sequence of 16 patterns; a song can be build chaining up to 256 song parts)
LFO Mode (not available in the current OS release, coming soon)
Mod Mode (not available in the current OS release, coming soon)
Mute Mode
Randomize function to create new patterns, or do partial changes to existing ones
Cvs and Gates can be unlinked to have two independent channels
CV inputs can be assigned to many parameters ( Step and probabilities, Mute, Fill in, track shift…)
Duplicate function to create different patterns while editing in step modes.

Freeze and revert function – Create a screenshot of your pattern, modify it, and go back to the previous freezed pattern
Master track concept – The pattern changes or the synchronization/resetting of tracks occurs when the master track reaches its end. The master track can be a track, or an internal clock that can be configured between 1 and 64 steps.
Release Reset track – A track can be released from its relation to the master track, so it won’t reset every time the master track reaches its end.
Integrated microSD card reader to save projects, do backups of your projects, and have different cards with different sets.
Open Source – the code can be modified using the Arduino IDE and a USB cable. (open source code will be available at a later stage)
INPUTS AND OUTPUTS

8 V/oct CV Output
8 Trigger / Gate Output
Reset Input
External Clock Input (configurable. i.e: can be used as a clock divider / multiplier)
Aux Output (configurable)
Clock Output (configurable. i.e: can be used as a clock divider / multiplier)
2 CV Input (assignable to different parameters)


The gates can be trigs, the cv out and gate out can be controlled separately from each other, seems like a lot of ways to manage one-shots, unless I am taking your meaning wrong.

1
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4040
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Cool story, bro. Changed my life.
3
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4041
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like??
Old 8th June 2017
  #4042
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok now I am gonna argue a little. It does have song mode- he said it in a video, and look at the picture, it has a song mode button on it. It also has some kind of pattern chaining as well. To say its main focus is probability I think is a matter of opinion. I look at it and see a replacement for my Octatrack. The fact that it has probability and random stuff is a bonus to me.

Not sure what you mean by 256 step limit i will have to look that up...

Edit-
From their homepage-
Song Mode (64 songs parts can be built, each song part contains a sequence of 16 patterns; a song can be build chaining up to 256 song parts)
Ah, my bad. I overlooked that. Still not something I'd use as a prime sequencer (really not a fan of the Elektron way of thinking), but I still totally want one.
Old 8th June 2017
  #4043
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I've been pretty happy with the BSP as a modular "brain" but lately I've been feeling the limitations. I really like idea of sequencing without a traditional sequencer rather using clock utilities, quantizers and other cv processors to get melodies and rhythms that aren't just basic loops + random. I still have an o_c in my future at some point but I'm still on the fence about the playability of it with only the two encoders for controls. I'm watching how the release of the new MPCs go but I don't think the Digitakt is for me. Anyhow I'm putting off any "brain" purchase and in the mean time I just got a bunch of sequencer helper modules.

That's the thing that sucks with the BSP is that it's seemingly so perfect for modular, but at the same time, it's so limited. Plus they're SOOO cheap, if I weren't trying to keep my modular so self-contained, I wouldn't mind getting like four BSP's and chaining them together but again, just couldn't do anything serious with it.

o_c, really isn't 'playable'. It's definitely more of a set it up for a session and leave it alone kind of thing. I wouldn't have minded an extra knob or two just for getting the Turing Machines up and running. It's kind of a pain to control the probability settings with the encoder and lock in a sequence you like. The CV inputs are helpful as you can run like a joystick or some other manual control into it to get more hands-on, but you still have to set that up to make as hands-on as you need it to be.

I'm curious on the MPC X, but at their new prices, I won't be getting one of those for a very long time and if I do, CV won't be its main focus because it only has eight CV/Gate outputs. I still think the perfect sequencing module has got to be just around the corner now.
Old 8th June 2017
  #4044
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So it looks like I'm going to make my little no purchasing plan now, but in a very sh*tty and unfair way: I bought a TI2, so my finances are going to be tied up for a while paying for that. No modules coming for a looooong time. Since this is a really sketchy way to win a bet, technically you win Slaughtr, seeing as how you bet four days and the purchase on the Virus was started two days ago. Where do I send your THEQ?


You will like it I think. I have two of them (polar and darkstar). They are very solid and sould beautiful.
Old 8th June 2017
  #4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Cool story, bro. Changed my life.


2
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post

Here's a cool (and easy) mod for that trigger delay:
navs.modular.lab: A-162 Trigger Delay Modification
Old 8th June 2017
  #4047
I'm going to that Ginko modular festival tomorrow, is there any module you'd like me to make a video of?
here's a list:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12667534-post11.html
Any other suggestions also welcome of course
2
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4048
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I want some of what he's smoking..^
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like? | Know Your Meme
1
Share
Old 8th June 2017
  #4049
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Between Eloquencer, Fluxus 1 (or ER-101/102) and a possible Erica Drum Sequencer there is enough sequencing power for In The Rack sequencing available or soon to be available on the market for those who want a stand alone eurorack case with decent sequencing power for 1v/oct and Trigger/gates.

Of course there has always been possibilty of doing sequencing before these new modules but these new modules offer easier sequencing of data and data storage that can be backed up on cards. Although I have no idea about memory feature for the Erica Drum Sequencer

I still want to get a midi interface at one point to try a mixed workflow where for example my MC-909 sequences Eurorack and hardware synths

The MCP-X with 8 CV/Gates is another good proposition for hybrid setups

In terms of midi interfaces, a part some cool module/boxes we already mentioned in the past for multichannel Midi/CV
- CV/OCD
- Vermona qMI2 (I like this a lot, it's on my list of possibles - Each of the four “output channels” offers a CV-output with 1V/octave-characteristic, a gate-output plus two additional control voltage outputs)
- MUC-810-Eurorack (16 CV outputs with a resolution of 16 bits)
- Yarns...
- etc...


I was not familiar with the following offerings, I mean I had heard of some of them before but didn't look into them properly yet

Shuttle Control - Endorphin
USB-to-MIDI-to-CV converter module with 16 arbitrary assignable channels

Polyend Poly
Poly – POLYEND
Ins:
MIDI DIN
USB A (5V)
USB B

Outs:
8x Gate (0-12V)
8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)
8x Velocity (0-12V)
8x Modulation (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

EncoreElectronics
Encore Electronics

The Expressionist offers eight complete channels of control voltage. This means you can connect a greater number of analog modules without having to purchase a handful of one and two channel converters. A channel consists of a 1/4" control voltage jack, and a 1/4" trigger jack. Each channel has available pitch bend, four modulations, four LFOs, six octave transpose, two types of portamento, voltage offset and tracking, and trigger polarity


Anyone here is actually using one of these last 3 Midi/CV interfaces?
Old 8th June 2017
  #4050
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

? right... strange
Sonicstate just released a video overview of the Endorphin.es Shuttle Modular System
Endorphin.es Shuttle Modular System Overview
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump