The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th June 2017
  #3991
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
what are you guys using for output / monitoring? Just passive attenuation or dedicated modules (rosie, outs, uJack, etc.)?
I have two: An Analogue Solutions Adaptor (literally just a pair of minijacks soldered to a pair of quarter inch jacks) and a Malekko Output. I use the ASol more frequently because the Malekko has this weird thing where if you're running it stereo, it flips the phase on the right channel. Usually I'll use the Malekko when I'm sample farming since most of what I need will be done in mono. If I'm just derping around or want to record a stereo mixdown, ASol it is.
1
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #3992
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
the Malekko has this weird thing where if you're running it stereo, it flips the phase on the right channel.
edit:
from their website:
Quote:
If the input is a single signal, in either input A or B, it is routed to both signal path A and B, and the signal in A is inverted. The signal is then routed to the output jacks as a stereo signal on output B and an inverted stereo signal on output A. You may select either of the outputs for the desired stereo signal or you may select both outputs A and B for a dual mono output, with the inverse signal being presented at output A.

If both inputs A and B are used simultaneously, the input in A is inverted and routed through the module’s A side signal path to the tip of output A and the ring of output B. The input in B is routed through the module’s B side signal path to the tip of output B and the ring of output A. Now you may choose either output A or B for a stereo output or both outputs A and B for a dual mono output with the signal input into B displayed at output B and the inverse of the signal input into A displayed at output A.
fu*k that's convoluted, I CANNOT understand that design decision.

but I think that means that if you want a stereo output (with nothing inverted) you need to use a TRS plug on output A. Someone please correct me if my reading comprehension skills have gone afoul
1
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #3993
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I had to contact them to get the discount on just friends. They said mannequins didn't allow the discount, but they'd honor it.
I've just sent them an email. we'll see how long it takes them. the coupon works on other MN products, could only find the morphagene not working.
Old 6th June 2017
  #3994
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
For general listening I use Rosie. It has a built in compressor which doesn't sound that great but is a nice failsafe for accidentally blowing stuff. I get a lot of use out of the stereo send and return.

For recording I usually go from VCAs to a preamp with pad engaged to get as many individual tracks as possible.
I just received a nw2s::io yesterday and got it up and running. It would seem to do what you want and comes in two flavors depending on your needs.

Would have posted an image but not yet authorized, but take a look the image is worth a 1000 words.
2
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #3995
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
edit:
from their website:

fu*k that's convoluted, I CANNOT understand that design decision.

but I think that means that if you want a stereo output (with nothing inverted) you need to use a TRS plug on output A. Someone please correct me if my reading comprehension skills have gone afoul
Yeah, you're reading that right. No wonder I was able to get it so cheap, right? Getting a stereo signal from that thing is more of a pain than it's worth, so it's just an attenuated mono output for me.
Old 6th June 2017
  #3996
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Here's a recent "noodle sampler video" done with my newest 5U system.

3
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #3997
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I've just sent them an email. we'll see how long it takes them. the coupon works on other MN products, could only find the morphagene not working.
3 hour turnaround replying to that email. yay. now to see how long before shipping, and then how long in shipping. I estimate I'll get it by the 20th...
Old 6th June 2017
  #3998
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

My Macbeth Micromac-D extension kit is nearly complete. Just awaiting delivery of one last module... .

The Modular Thread 2017-img_3719.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_3719.jpg  
5
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #3999
Lives for gear
 

I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again - doepfer in black is fu*king SEXY. what took them so long?
5
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #4000
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
3 hour turnaround replying to that email. yay. now to see how long before shipping, and then how long in shipping. I estimate I'll get it by the 20th...
Hard to tell from the text if you're annoyed by the 3 hour turnaround, but I think they just opened an hour ago, so not too bad.
1
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #4001
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Hard to tell from the text if you're annoyed by the 3 hour turnaround, but I think they just opened an hour ago, so not too bad.
not complaining at all. I did place my order i'm in canada, so shipping always takes a bit longer.
1
Share
Old 6th June 2017
  #4002
Lives for gear
 
acealive's Avatar
Found an English video about last weekend's Happy Knobbing Meeting 2017.
This year was a lot of fun and very interesting, I enjoyed being there.

2
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4003
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
It's here ... Really deep, but just what I was looking for. Also, really nice packaging.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0562.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-img_0565.jpg  
4
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4004
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's here ... Really deep, but just what I was looking for. Also, really nice packaging.
NICE. I'm pretty jealous. maybe after the summer for me.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4005
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
NICE. I'm pretty jealous. maybe after the summer for me.
Not much in the mood for modular patching tonight, but I've already got the E-mu Grand Piano and one of the Choir samples loaded up (I'm a sucker for those old DM sounds). I've only played with it for a couple hours and after about an hour, the internal structure all starts to make sense. A lot easier to grok than the Elektron stuff.

From I'm reading on the OD message boards, you can pull off *goddamn* multi-samples. Wow! I have a feeling I'm not going to need another VCO for quite a while.

Now it's time to go back to ModularGrid and figure out rebuilt my racks so I can fit the ER-301 in the main case.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4006
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
From I'm reading on the OD message boards, you can pull off *goddamn* multi-samples. Wow! I have a feeling I'm not going to need another VCO for quite a while.
yeah it can be used as a 4 voice wavetable VCO. it's rediculous the things it can do. aside from rack space, I'm not really sure why I'm waiting.. oh yeah, the stubborn 'stick to the plan' plan.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4007
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
yeah it can be used as a 4 voice wavetable VCO. it's rediculous the things it can do. aside from rack space, I'm not really sure why I'm waiting.. oh yeah, the stubborn 'stick to the plan' plan.
More than 4 voices (if I can figure out how to use the mixer function). From just the CV inputs, you can go up to 12 discrete (and more if you use internal sources) pitches mapped against 4 independent outs. Actually, CPU is really the only limit in terms of the number of voices.

Just do it, it's already got my thinking about what I can downsize / sell.
5
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4008
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Last post on the ER-301 ... I can do record / sample scratching with it with LFO's, dammit! I'm gonna love this thing.
2
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4009
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Last post on the ER-301 ... I can do record / sample scratching with it with LFO's, dammit! I'm gonna love this thing.
yeah. damn. My rack's never going to be big enough.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4010
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's here ... Really deep, but just what I was looking for. Also, really nice packaging.
Package of Pamela's new workout is a toilet roll.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4011
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

I've decided I am going to get a Digitakt, I'm just gonna hold off for a bit until the shops are well stocked and the price falls (£600).
The modular will provide it with an infinite supply of sample fodder.

Sounds like a good partnership to me.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4012
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I've decided I am going to get a Digitakt, I'm just gonna hold off for a bit until the shops are well stocked and the price falls (£600).
The modular will provide it with an infinite supply of sample fodder.

Sounds like a good partnership to me.
As something of an Elektron fanboy and looking at the reviews...it might be worth waiting if you can. I feel like there's usually a point about 8 months after an Elektron release where you can buy used for at least 1/3 the price. If nothing else, the bug reports have me holding my money.

...but that said, I can see the Digitakt on the horizon for me for sampling all sorts of 1 shot samples to sequence from there. The more I look at the Digitakt I can envision using it to sample drum sounds from my modular to build tracks from, and so I see it being an essential part of my rig in the future...just not now.
1
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4013
Gear Maniac
Went for the digitakt. It's pretty buggy as of now. Elektron seems to be aware of things and fixes have been said to come soon.

First I was like no way, but then I realized that it has a lot of potential performance-wise, and the immediacy appeals a lot to me.

Any questions about the box, lemme know.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4014
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's here ... Really deep, but just what I was looking for. Also, really nice packaging.
My jaw dropped when I saw that box. That really is some impressive packaging.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4015
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok guys time to start the pool on how long he can hold out without buying a module. I give him 4 days.
So it looks like I'm going to make my little no purchasing plan now, but in a very sh*tty and unfair way: I bought a TI2, so my finances are going to be tied up for a while paying for that. No modules coming for a looooong time. Since this is a really sketchy way to win a bet, technically you win Slaughtr, seeing as how you bet four days and the purchase on the Virus was started two days ago. Where do I send your THEQ?
3
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I've decided I am going to get a Digitakt, I'm just gonna hold off for a bit until the shops are well stocked and the price falls (£600).
The modular will provide it with an infinite supply of sample fodder.

Sounds like a good partnership to me.
I want it, but I'm not getting it. My goals are all in "the case" at this point, idea being the modular can run independently and produce music on its own (live). If I didn't already have the Octatrack it would be a no-brainer groovebox-wise...I still don't understand why they wouldn't include the Arranger mode though, I rely heavily on it when using the OT.

But there is a whole 'nother thread for those things, if we get going on it here the trolls will invade our nice clean bridge.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So it looks like I'm going to make my little no purchasing plan now, but in a very sh*tty and unfair way: I bought a TI2, so my finances are going to be tied up for a while paying for that. No modules coming for a looooong time. Since this is a really sketchy way to win a bet, technically you win Slaughtr, seeing as how you bet four days and the purchase on the Virus was started two days ago. Where do I send your THEQ?
Old 7th June 2017
  #4018
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I want it, but I'm not getting it. My goals are all in "the case" at this point, idea being the modular can run independently and produce music on its own (live). If I didn't already have the Octatrack it would be a no-brainer groovebox-wise...I still don't understand why they wouldn't include the Arranger mode though, I rely heavily on it when using the OT.

But there is a whole 'nother thread for those things, if we get going on it here the trolls will invade our nice clean bridge.
I don't think that's necessarily off topic for this discussion seeing as how what you pair with with your modular is just as important as the modular itself. It would be nice to have a fully functioning workstation that's all contained in our modulars, but we're missing some key components like fully-featured sequencers designed to be the center of your whole system and stereo recording modules.
Old 7th June 2017
  #4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
fully-featured sequencers designed to be the center of your whole system
*Darth Vader's theme in background*

5
Share
Old 7th June 2017
  #4020
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
*Darth Vader's theme in background*

yeah, that looks pretty dope. I'm going to stay happy with my Stillson Hammer, but there's only going to be better things coming out in the near future. digital controlled analog is only starting to flourish. The next few years are going to be wonderful for modular. One day I'm going to be looking back at my pair of O_c module and they're going to seem so basic, rudimentary and rough around the edges. But for now I'm going to love em, cause there's nothing else like em.
4
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump