The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd June 2017
I got an ADDAC 221 a while back (a CV to MIDI module), and have only recently managed to make it work with the Resolume VJ software.

Here's the first video I made with it. So both sound and CV coming from the eurorack in this one. The quality of the video is a bit poor, but should be OK if you watch it on the small screen (and directly from Vimeo). I need to learn how to get it to output into better quality, that's for the next project!

Really looking forward to exploring this more!
Old 3rd June 2017
This is a short clip from an SH-101 and Modular performance I pulled for a cue that uses the Modcan Touch Sequencer, E350, Modcan Triple Oscillator, Modcan Dual Delay, SE 4075, etc., etc.... synced using an ERM Multiclock to PW.

Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I've ordered one thing from PCA, an EMW T-Drum. Showed up fine, worked for like 91 days.
I haven't had those kind of issues from any of EMW's modules, and I have two of the T-Drums. Stupid question, especially since I think EMW modules are keyed, but did you maybe plug it in backwards or anything?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Also, a quick note on Freez. It's a one hit wonder (expected that).
It is very much a one trick pony, but I've gotta admit it's a pretty good trick, especially with a bunch of CV going in and out of it.

Moored Y'alls:
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Mutable Clouds
Make Noise Maths
Pittsburgh LFO2
GMSN! Pure LFO
Feedback 106 Chorus
MFB Drum-99
4ms RCD
Studio Electronics Tonestar 8106
Moffenzeef Kriket
Moffenzeef Muskrat
2HP Freez
Doepfer A-111-5
Doefper A-160-2
Old 4th June 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It is very much a one trick pony, but I've gotta admit it's a pretty good trick, especially with a bunch of CV going in and out of it.

Moored Y'alls:
Analogue Solutions Adaptor
Mutable Clouds
Make Noise Maths
Pittsburgh LFO2
GMSN! Pure LFO
Feedback 106 Chorus
MFB Drum-99
4ms RCD
Studio Electronics Tonestar 8106
Moffenzeef Kriket
Moffenzeef Muskrat
2HP Freez
Doepfer A-111-5
Doefper A-160-2
No Brain Seed, maybe Schistosoma mansoni
The end interrups my mental trip .
Need more Derp
Old 4th June 2017
Quote:
I haven't had those kind of issues from any of EMW's modules, and I have two of the T-Drums. Stupid question, especially since I think EMW modules are keyed, but did you maybe plug it in backwards or anything?
Like I said it worked for 91 days. It's a cold solder joint or bad pot. It makes no sound unless I press in (not a push knob) on the pitch knob. If I let go, the sound cuts out. I really hate sh1t that breaks for no reason, especially when you pay to wait 2 months to have something "built". Either way I'm done with EMW.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have several analog synthesizers including some Moogs. I have watched the modular area from a distance and never though I would go in that direction. However, I ordered a WMD SSF Monolith and am really looking forward to it. It should be fun.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So... how about that Perfect Circuit? I ordered that Charcot Circles from them well over a week ago. Still no module, and no indication from them that they've shipped it. And they're not responding to emails. :-|
I just purchased a WMD SSF from them and I hope they don't do me like that. I will be alert to keep on them to get it shipped.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Here's my first patch with Freez, a different and more subtle take than Derp's. I need to work on doing more noise patches 'cause that one was pretty impressive.

I patched myself into a corner and couldn't get a precision adder into the mix so it came out a bit repetitive. Oh well.
Old 4th June 2017
Quote:

Nice demo! Thanks for sharing. What kind of video software are you using here?

Quote:
Here's my first patch with Freez, a different and more subtle take than Derp's. I need to work on doing more noise patches 'cause that one was pretty impressive.

I patched myself into a corner and couldn't get a precision adder into the mix so it came out a bit repetitive. Oh well.
Can't say I noticed the freez much, to be honest, but just wanted to say - nice patch! Really like the vibe.

I've been thinking about getting the Freez as well, but not sure how long it'll hold up, as it seems a bit of a one trick pony. It's a pretty cool trick though. I might give it a go.
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Now that the honeymoon period is over, what is the general impression of the Mysteron? Some of the demos are really impressive, but they do tend to sound somewhat similar.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Like I said it worked for 91 days. It's a cold solder joint or bad pot. It makes no sound unless I press in (not a push knob) on the pitch knob. If I let go, the sound cuts out. I really hate sh1t that breaks for no reason, especially when you pay to wait 2 months to have something "built". Either way I'm done with EMW.
That's unfortunate. My EMW Alias is in just about every patch I do. I was kind of disappointed with the lack of "Alias"ing, but with the triangle or sine waveforms, it make the perfect sub-bass VCO. It also tune's really quickly and stays that way, unlike the Omikron.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Can't say I noticed the freez much, to be honest, but just wanted to say - nice patch! Really like the vibe.

I've been thinking about getting the Freez as well, but not sure how long it'll hold up, as it seems a bit of a one trick pony. It's a pretty cool trick though. I might give it a go.
Here's something with a bit more of Freez being utterly chaotic ...

Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Now that the honeymoon period is over, what is the general impression of the Mysteron? Some of the demos are really impressive, but they do tend to sound somewhat similar.
It is a bit of a one trick pony to be honest. I do love the sound of it but it is limited. You can spot it a mile away too... Kind of like Elements.
Old 5th June 2017
Quote:
That's unfortunate. My EMW Alias is in just about every patch I do. I was kind of disappointed with the lack of "Alias"ing, but with the triangle or sine waveforms, it make the perfect sub-bass VCO. It also tune's really quickly and stays that way, unlike the Omikron.
I know lots of folks here love their EMW modules...to EMW I'd just say-

I'm picky, and I don't give a lot of chances to gear that fails me in normal use. I also don't agree with the "pay and wait for me to build it" thing, when it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere and it's for sale not pre-order or some other type of order, so I'm done with PCA too, especially since they are mean to @Derp.

The first place I look for gear is Control Voltage since I have the luxury of driving over there to pick it up. If I have to order it I check Juno UK first, they have insanely good prices for some reason. Then it's Analog Haven who is always fast and reliable-just don't make the mistake of calling him. After that I wouldn't know who to trust, seems I get screwed over every other time I order something online, total crap shoot...
Old 5th June 2017
I've owned an EMW DigiDrum module for over five years and it works as well now as the day i received it.
Early on I thought it had a problem, but it turned out to be a Euro case issue, however when I approached EMW saying I possibly had a problem they were happy to swap the module no questions asked. In the end I kept it because it turned out the module was perfect.
I have had QC problems with other Euro manufacturers in the past and have decided not to put my business their way again, so I understand how you feel.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

I've been experimenting with not using the BSP and getting rhythms and melodies with simple modules. It's a challenge because I don't have any sequencer modules except for Peaks running in 4 step mode which is what I used here. I was able to get Dinky's to do some crazy sounding fills and stuff by messing with the PW on a square wave that is modulating the VCA its going through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzj1E-GOt1c

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Arpitect to get some melodies that aren't standard step sequence stuff. Between that and the QCD I have on the way, I'm hoping I can get into some more evolving sequences.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I've been experimenting with not using the BSP and getting rhythms and melodies with simple modules. It's a challenge because I don't have any sequencer modules except for Peaks running in 4 step mode which is what I used here. I was able to get Dinky's to do some crazy sounding fills and stuff by messing with the PW on a square wave that is modulating the VCA its going through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzj1E-GOt1c

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Arpitect to get some melodies that aren't standard step sequence stuff. Between that and the QCD I have on the way, I'm hoping I can get into some more evolving sequences.
I really like what I've been able to do with the Arpitecht, especially with the Triad's expander. Those two, along with a TINRS Tuesday, have been my main, melodic, sequencers of late.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In fairness, Clouds was doing most of the heavy lifting. Kriket was patched into Freez, so only that rhythmic bleepy noise was getting the Freez treatment.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
It is a bit of a one trick pony to be honest. I do love the sound of it but it is limited. You can spot it a mile away too... Kind of like Elements.
Kind of agree with LoC. It's got some range to it, but its sweet spots are kind of narrow. That being said, I do like it more than I like Elements, even though I think Elements has more sweetspots. Elements has that hippy noise kind of vibe to it no matter which direction you take it, but Mysteron sounds more artificial, so it can get more fat and rough, or more shrill and cutting. If someone were to ask whether or not they should go Mysteron or Elements, I'd say it depends on the person's intended use. Mysteron to me is more synthetic whereas elements is much more organic.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Yeah, in demos the Mysteron sounds more alive and dangerous than Elements.

Speaking of something else, and possibly stating the obvious, but I just discovered what a great oscillator the Doepfer 110-1 is. I hadn't realised how useful it is to have an octave switch on the oscillator.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

what are you guys using for output / monitoring? Just passive attenuation or dedicated modules (rosie, outs, uJack, etc.)?
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
what are you guys using for output / monitoring? Just passive attenuation or dedicated modules (rosie, outs, uJack, etc.)?
I'm going straight into a Mackie 1202 VLZ4 and attenuating the inputs if needed.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Submix 6channel mixer > uJack > midas mixer. I could run into the mixer straight with the gain at zero, but the mixer sounds better with gain at 12:00, so using the uJack made sense for gain staging.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Speaking of monitoring, have you guys ever destroyed your monitors/headphones?
I often run my modular into my mixer with the highpass engaged (disable when recording) to protect my monitors
but I've destroyed two pairs of Sennheiser HD280 headphones running straight into the uJack. oops.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Speaking of monitoring, have you guys ever destroyed your monitors/headphones?
I often run my modular into my mixer with the highpass engaged (disable when recording) to protect my monitors
but I've destroyed two pairs of Sennheiser HD280 headphones running straight into the uJack. oops.
I have to admit I'm somewhat interested in getting an out module with limiting for this reason, but thought maybe I was just being a panzy.

Quote:
Submix 6channel mixer > uJack > midas mixer. I could run into the mixer straight with the gain at zero, but the mixer sounds better with gain at 12:00, so using the uJack made sense for gain staging.
Yea I'm gonna be running into a tascam dp-24, and was mainly thinking a module for just no-brainer gainstaging, not having to deal with weird super low fader / trim on the mixer
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So... how about that Perfect Circuit?
well my PC story for this evening goes like this:
They do first time customer 10% off with the coupon WELCOME10. They're the only people stocking the Morphagene at the moment and I could use the coupon, I figured I'd pull the trigger and get it done with. But lo-and-behold, the coupon doesn't work with that item. no idea why. fine print says "Cannot be used on Demo, Used, B-Stock, or on-sale items"...
so no sale PC. thanks but no thanks.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
well my PC story for this evening goes like this:
They do first time customer 10% off with the coupon WELCOME10. They're the only people stocking the Morphagene at the moment and I could use the coupon, I figured I'd pull the trigger and get it done with. But lo-and-behold, the coupon doesn't work with that item. no idea why. fine print says "Cannot be used on Demo, Used, B-Stock, or on-sale items"...
so no sale PC. thanks but no thanks.
I had to contact them to get the discount on just friends. They said mannequins didn't allow the discount, but they'd honor it.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

I use Juno whenever possible. Half the price of the next cheapest competitor and stuff is delivered two hours before it was ordered.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
I have to admit I'm somewhat interested in getting an out module with limiting for this reason, but thought maybe I was just being a panzy.

Yea I'm gonna be running into a tascam dp-24, and was mainly thinking a module for just no-brainer gainstaging, not having to deal with weird super low fader / trim on the mixer
For general listening I use Rosie. It has a built in compressor which doesn't sound that great but is a nice failsafe for accidentally blowing stuff. I get a lot of use out of the stereo send and return.

For recording I usually go from VCAs to a preamp with pad engaged to get as many individual tracks as possible.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search