The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'm a big fan of Aperture is you're looking for some grunge / distortion on you filters, but that's a bit more.
ryo or the wmd version?

Quote:
yup, almost. Summed saw and PWMed square iirc.
oh, so any multi osc vco and a mixer can get you there? OK thanks.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Ladik M-216 is so darn cheap, but unless you have Parasite on your Frames, or a clock divider, I don't see much use for it yet in your system. I'm running mine with Grids, Knight's Gallop and a slew of Doepfer clock utilities.

"Samply / loopy" says to me, get a Disting Mk4. Clocked audio playback on that thing is perfect for bringing in sample / drum loops.

With your system, I'd looks for some character modules that gel with whatever style of music you're trying to make. That would include some of the cheap Doepfer VCF's like the Wasp or SEM. I'm a big fan of Aperture is you're looking for some grunge / distortion on you filters, but that's a bit more.
Yes! Character most certainly. I've even been looking at compressors and grimey VCAs. I'll look into Disting a bit more, I've considered it a few times.

If I did the 216 thing I'd also get RCD, SCM, etc or similar. This is why it's a hard choice, as I'd have to commit quite seriously from a £/hp perspective. I've played around with sequencing the Rytm from the DAW and it might be worth developing that out. For free!

Character and a Disting looks tempting...
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

2 LCD screens turned up from China at last

Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
ryo or the wmd version?
WMD Aperture ... Can go total 303 / acid if you want. Also, so much CV modulation on those WMD modules, they really know how to design useful stuff.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Yes! Character most certainly. I've even been looking at compressors and grimey VCAs. I'll look into Disting a bit more, I've considered it a few times.

If I did the 216 thing I'd also get RCD, SCM, etc or similar. This is why it's a hard choice, as I'd have to commit quite seriously from a £/hp perspective. I've played around with sequencing the Rytm from the DAW and it might be worth developing that out. For free!

Character and a Disting looks tempting...
Two of my last three patches that I've posted have been with the Disting doing drum loops. I also really like throwing the loop itself through a Wasp BP.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Despite banging on upthread about how I'm in no rush to buy modules, I want to buy some modules. The thing is, I can't decide between triggery clocky things and a Ladik M-216, to bring my Rytm into the modular world, or something samply/loopy/processory for modularising DAW audio. Please look at my hole and advise. I'll certainly be getting moar VCAs. There's not much I can't do at the moment, it's about creative exploration more than anything. Apart from my modular I have a Dom 1, Rytm, mother and BSP. I quite like idea of sequencing the Rytm from my rack and bringing the stereo outs into the rack to do, uhm, stuff to it.
Well with the Octocontroller, you've already got a lot of clock stuff in that module. My vote would be to get the Ladik, and then maybe a sequencer? I'm guessing you use the DAW for controlling your modular, but the right sequencers and quantizers bring a whole new game into the playing field. Something simple like one of the old Pittsburgh 8-step sequencers will change up the way you work a little. Even if you're not using them to control pitches, they're great for modulation as well and can be clocked at audio rate to create a harmonic oscillator.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

What's this crazy talk I see on Muffs about the Links middle section being able to act as a precision adder?!?
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So I wrote this one off as unobtainium, but guess what showed up on eBay and I bid on immediately:

Between this and the Feedback 106, I've finally got the AX60 voice I always wanted. All hail the CEM3394!
Excuse me but, the doepfer uses a curtis filter going through the Juno 106 chorus sounds like an AX60?

I have the Dark Energy and although I liked some of the drone like sounds and bass but its limitations didn't thrill me. So I should did it out and play along side the Mother.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Excuse me but, the doepfer uses a curtis filter going through the Juno 106 chorus sounds like an AX60?

I have the Dark Energy and although I liked some of the drone like sounds and bass it's limitations didn't thrill me. So I should look again?
Theoretically, they should sound pretty close. They both use the CEM3394. The CEM3394 is essentially an entire synth voice on a chip. Keep in mind that this is for the first generation Dark Energy. The mkII changed topologies because they ran out of CEM3394's. There are a couple features missing from the A-111-5/Dark Energy that the AX60 had, though. The Dark Energy and the A-111-5 don't have square wave output, oscillator to filter FM, a high-pass filter, nor the second envelope. Between the A-111-5, Tonestar 8106, and Feedback 106 Chorus, I should be able to get pretty close.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well with the Octocontroller, you've already got a lot of clock stuff in that module. My vote would be to get the Ladik, and then maybe a sequencer? I'm guessing you use the DAW for controlling your modular, but the right sequencers and quantizers bring a whole new game into the playing field. Something simple like one of the old Pittsburgh 8-step sequencers will change up the way you work a little. Even if you're not using them to control pitches, they're great for modulation as well and can be clocked at audio rate to create a harmonic oscillator.
Yeah, was thinking of building a little drum sequencer with clock dividers, multipliers, logic, etc, piping the resultant triggers into the Ladik. I was thinking this would be a good "modular" way of sequencing drums. The Octo could do some stuff though, I might get the Ladik and see how I get on.
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
Can't find those last four modules on Modular Grid for some reason.
They aren't unobtanium or anything. Try modulating the output of Cannabis with a really hot, dark signal flowing from Caffeine and then use Nicotine to crush and fold them together. Amplify with Mania and you're golden. It helps to avoid Food and Sleep modules in this signal path whenever possible.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
@ derp
what's a pwm saw?
like this?

for that couldn't you just multiply a saw with an offset PWM square?

nope, just don't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok guys time to start the pool on how long he can hold out without buying a module. I give him 4 days.
more like 4 hours.

Thing is, he just won't post that he bought anything for two weeks, then he'll "suddenly have bought" twenty modules.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
2 LCD screens turned up from China at last

Think mine took like a month to arrive. I could have ridden a bike there to pick it up and rode back in that time.

OK, maybe not.

Quote:
What's this crazy talk I see on Muffs about the Links middle section being able to act as a precision adder?!?
If it's got .1% tolerance resistors as mentioned in that thread, then it should indeed be able to handle precision adding. The schematic isn't overly complex if you look at it. (http://mutable-instruments.net/stati.../Links-v40.pdf)
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

more like 4 hours.

Thing is, he just won't post that he bought anything for two weeks, then he'll "suddenly have bought" twenty modules.
Looks like the AFG waveforms. That's the reason I have GAS for one of those. I should be able to load up any single cycle I want on the ER-301 (any day now), but for doing PWM or animation; samplers just aren't built for that.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like the AFG waveforms. That's the reason I have GAS for one of those. I should be able to load up any single cycle I want on the ER-301 (any day now), but for doing PWM or animation; samplers just aren't built for that.
The AFG is back on my "maybe" list. It sounds good as hell, but I was worried about all the through-hole resistors soldered to the SMT pads. Apparently that was only on the first 100 or so re-issues. Anything built since then should have proper resistors in SMT and not 10+ through hole resistors soldered all over the board.

The AFG can do all kinds of stuff from a sound perspective though.
Old 1st June 2017
Quote:
....but for doing PWM or animation; samplers just aren't built for that.
I'm hoping that Dave Rossum module can.
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Sounds and looks exactly like sum of sawtooth and rectified PWMed waveform
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Does somebody have both the Erebus WL Oscillator and the Eowave Titan Oscillator ?
Titan Oscillator | eowave
Dreadbox effects & synthesizers – wl-osc
One of them is bound to become my next VCO, but I have no real comparison so far.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I should be able to load up any single cycle I want on the ER-301 (any day now), but for doing PWM or animation; samplers just aren't built for that.
Here's one where I unfortunately have to give kudos to software: Synthmaster can do PWM to sampled waveforms and it sounds awesome.
Old 1st June 2017
Colin Benders is streaming live again...it's a real experience for those who haven't checked it out yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNHwqqPhr8
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Theoretically, they should sound pretty close. They both use the CEM3394. The CEM3394 is essentially an entire synth voice on a chip. Keep in mind that this is for the first generation Dark Energy. The mkII changed topologies because they ran out of CEM3394's. There are a couple features missing from the A-111-5/Dark Energy that the AX60 had, though. The Dark Energy and the A-111-5 don't have square wave output, oscillator to filter FM, a high-pass filter, nor the second envelope. Between the A-111-5, Tonestar 8106, and Feedback 106 Chorus, I should be able to get pretty close.
I have the DE MK1, made sure of that when i bought it. This does sound interesting and I'll have to dig it out. Only now I'll have to buy the chorus. Oh well I don't have one and it does 'sound' good

Ah! All sold out. You guys must have nabbed them. I looked yesterday and they had some in stock. Well good to restrain my GAS and 'cooling' off period as I have mostly everything I need.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

I actually did this for a friend but thought I'd share with you as well. A little demo of me fiddling with the Ultrafold that I really like. This shows somewhat where I am in my journey, I love using LFO's to modulate stuff mainly 'cos I can understand and predict what they do, and whereas I like Maths I really have little idea what it's doing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...E9Qa2lQcFVHOHc
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

this one does this: Pulse controlled waveforms:
The VCO-6 has three different pulse controlled and modulated waveforms:
Width modulated saw tooth which act as a true detuned dual saw tooth oscillator when the PWM1 is modulated with a low frequency signal (preferably a triangle shaped waveform) and the detuned frequency (frequency offset between two detuned saw tooth waves) is equal to doubled modulated signals frequency. When the PWM1 is modulated with the signal in audio range the pulse modulated saw tooth act as saw tooth ring modulator.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
You can get an oustanding ARP 2600 VCA clone from Krisp1 (the Oakley Classic VCA) pretty much anytime. Rarer would be their 2600 filters (particularly the pre-lawsuit filter as they make one of the few clones of that) and the VCO is rarest of all (I don't know of any other module manufacturer with a 2600 VCO other than some random DIY projects).
steffcorp
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Colin Benders is streaming live again...it's a real experience for those who haven't checked it out yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNHwqqPhr8
Great jam. I like the Mcbeth synths in his rack...
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

It's here ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-freez.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They aren't unobtanium or anything. Try modulating the output of Cannabis with a really hot, dark signal flowing from Caffeine and then use Nicotine to crush and fold them together. Amplify with Mania and you're golden. It helps to avoid Food and Sleep modules in this signal path whenever possible.
I hear about a legendary module that most guys in the dark corners of modular meets whisper about : Sex

Not sure what it's all about.

Back to wiggling some knobs now...
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
steffcorp
I thought steffcorp had been closed for a few years now, cuz dude had a kid or something.
Old 2nd June 2017
I released an album as 'Gorgonsola Flyplass' today, it's called 'Karotek', and is quite ambient-ish, I'd say. An introspective quiet thing. It's all made on the eurorack. Can be streamed and/or downloaded from the links below.

MMx116 Gorgonsola Flyplass - Kartotek - MarsMelons
https://molthe.bandcamp.com/album/kartotek
http://soundcloud.com/user-718396774...nsola-flyplass

--

All comments, negative and positive, much appreciated!
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's here ...
Lucky! Mine isn't arriving until tomorrow.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search