The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Im thinking sampling the modular and sequencing the audio in a elektron digitakt would be fun.

I think elektron have missed a trick by pricing it just a bit too high, £489 would of been ideal but £649 is just too much.
Well, it's cheaper than an Octotrack.

As for Elektron in general, as long as you gel with the way they think and design their boxes, there's not much better out there. I really like my Analog Rytm. Yes, it's expensive, but I've never found myself not being able to dial in the perfect sound that I'm looking for, as was the challenge with the half dozen drum modules I've had in the past. It's all about the voicing engine, being able to combine samples with traditional analog drum synthesis.
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

my new case arrived from Italy today, custom made by Riccardo :

I wanted one that fits on my left speaker and is orange, so I went for one that can fit in 54 HP of modules.

the one space left will be filled with a 1 HP branded Blindplate from the forthcoming Happy Knobbing festival.

Last edited by acealive; 30th May 2017 at 06:17 PM..
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
my new case arrived from Italy today, custom made by Riccardo :

I wanted one that fits on my left speaker and is orange, so I went for one that can fit in 54 HP of modules.

the one space left will be filled with a 1 HP branded Blindplate from the forthcoming Happy Knobbing festival.
Sweeeeeeeet!
O man I love orange cases. Don't know why...
I have painted my gieskes case orange, but this is much better.
Funny, I dont like that colour at all ...in any other object in the house
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I have a friend just starting out and he's ordered a few modules - VCO, VCF, LFO to go with his Mother 32. I have a mother 32 as well and will try this out but wanted to ask your advice as well.

To trigger a VCO from Mother how do you use the gate/envelope/VCA? The KB out is used for pitch?
And then how do you take the out into an external VCF and bypass Moog filter?

I was also interested if you could use a volume control Y headphone splitter as a VCA for gate/envelope control, on the cheap. (Assuming you have gate out going to ADSR then into splitter). Like this:

The Modular Thread 2017Headphone 3.5mm Stereo Audio Y Splitter Cord Cable With Separate Volume Controls | eBay
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Hi, I have a friend just starting out and he's ordered a few modules - VCO, VCF, LFO to go with his Mother 32. I have a mother 32 as well and will try this out but wanted to ask your advice as well.

To trigger a VCO from Mother how do you use the gate/envelope/VCA? The KB out is used for pitch?
And then how do you take the out into an external VCF and bypass Moog filter?

I was also interested if you could use a volume control Y headphone splitter as a VCA for gate/envelope control, on the cheap. Like this:

The Modular Thread 2017Headphone 3.5mm Stereo Audio Y Splitter Cord Cable With Separate Volume Controls | eBay
Yes, KB out is pitch out from the sequencer/keyboard.

Take VCO Saw, VCO Pulse or Noise out for the outputs pre-filter, or any combination of the three. You could throw them into Mix 1 and Mix2 on the Mother and take VC Mix out.
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Any other Dreamboat owners on here? Got mine in yesterday, and it feels like I'm really missing something with this. I get how chaotic attractors work (and I love my Sloths for them), but this doesn't really act the way I expected it to. Any pointers from you cats out there?
I don't have specific advice about the Dreamboat, but I have the Chaos Brother, and I have to say it took me quite a while to figure out how to integrate, even having done quite a bit of chaos synthing previously. I've read people saying that they find the Dreamboat good for adding sizzle to signals, fwiw.
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

I'll stick to my 808 samples but still what a wonderful thing. I just wonder how much?

System 80 unveils a TR-808 drum machine clone for your modular synth
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baethku View Post
1010 Music fxbox
Ooh, I'm jelly! Gotta let us know how awesome it is to use in person when you get it!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Im thinking sampling the modular and sequencing the audio in a elektron digitakt would be fun.

I think elektron have missed a trick by pricing it just a bit too high, £489 would of been ideal but £649 is just too much.
You know my opinion on sampling. Even with an MPC and/or Fantom, it's a lot of fun. Even softsampling, it's just been a blast working this way.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
I don't have specific advice about the Dreamboat, but I have the Chaos Brother, and I have to say it took me quite a while to figure out how to integrate, even having done quite a bit of chaos synthing previously. I've read people saying that they find the Dreamboat good for adding sizzle to signals, fwiw.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

So I wrote this one off as unobtainium, but guess what showed up on eBay and I bid on immediately:

Between this and the Feedback 106, I've finally got the AX60 voice I always wanted. All hail the CEM3394!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Also got the 2HP Freez.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
So I wrote this one off as unobtainium, but guess what showed up on eBay and I bid on immediately:

Between this and the Feedback 106, I've finally got the AX60 voice I always wanted. All hail the CEM3394!
Damn! For years I've been planning to talk you into trading some super sexy module for mine lol.

My eurorack started out as purely focussed on CV processing, so I'd picked one of these up as a quick way to add to a voice to the system, but once it grew a bit more I'd sort of abandoned the 111-5 as not "proper" modular. During a recent re-arragement though, I had one case of just drums and trigger stuff and figured I'd pop it in there so the box could be a bit more independant... was actually surprised at how good it does sound and figured I was going to get something even more sexy from you than I'd thought

Glad you got it sorted though and hope its everything you were dreaming of - I know you've been after it for at least about 2 years now!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice find, I have his twin the Dark Energy MK1 a feisty little beast.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
Now that sounds like a DIY I might could handle! Would you share the schematics?
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Damn! For years I've been planning to talk you into trading some super sexy module for mine lol.

My eurorack started out as purely focussed on CV processing, so I'd picked one of these up as a quick way to add to a voice to the system, but once it grew a bit more I'd sort of abandoned the 111-5 as not "proper" modular. During a recent re-arragement though, I had one case of just drums and trigger stuff and figured I'd pop it in there so the box could be a bit more independant... was actually surprised at how good it does sound and figured I was going to get something even more sexy from you than I'd thought

Glad you got it sorted though and hope its everything you were dreaming of - I know you've been after it for at least about 2 years now!
Lol, you probably could have gotten some wild modules in trade. XD

I've been longing for one since I first heard about them. The CEM3394 sound is one of my favorites. Tonestar 8106 gets me pretty close, but it'll be nice to have the real thing finally and be able to do some PWM saws.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Was a tad bit naughty last night:

I want to get the other Moffenzeef modules eventually, but for right now, I'm putting all modular purchases on hold because 1.) I'm moving in a couple weeks and don't want to have anything lost in the mail and 2.) these purchases mean that my racks are all full, so the next purchase will need to be racks, rails, and ears, which if I put off buying until after the move, that's a few less things I have to cart around.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

@ derp
what's a pwm saw?
like this?

for that couldn't you just multiply a saw with an offset PWM square?

Quote:
but for right now, I'm putting all modular purchases on hold
nope, just don't believe it.
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
for right now, I'm putting all modular purchases on hold...

...a couple weeks...
Ok guys time to start the pool on how long he can hold out without buying a module. I give him 4 days.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
@ derp
what's a pwm saw?
like this?

I'm not sure how it's made exactly. I just know on the AX60, it sounds magnificent.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Ok guys time to start the pool on how long he can hold out without buying a module. I give him 4 days.
Am I allowed to bet on myself? I'll put twenty on the full two weeks.
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
Am I allowed to bet on myself? I'll put twenty on the full two weeks.
You'll put 20hp in the case...
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll put 20hp in the case...
Ooh... that could be a fun way to do a bet. Instead of cash, let's bet modules! I've got a Zlob THEQ on me lasting the full two weeks.
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
Ooh... that could be a fun way to do a bet. Instead of cash, let's bet modules! I've got a Zlob THEQ on me lasting the full two weeks.
Sure. I'll bet my sh1tty never-working drum module I got from that jackass on muffs.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
yup, almost. Summed saw and PWMed square iirc.
Old 31st May 2017
Finally felt like touching my box last night, here's what came out. I'm a dirty birdie...

Modules used:
Rings
Maths
Grids
Peaks
QCD
Neuron
Veils
QuNexus
Cannabis
Nicotine
Caffeine
Mania
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally felt like touching my box last night, here's what came out. I'm a dirty birdie...

Modules used:
Rings
Maths
Grids
Peaks
QCD
Neuron
Veils
QuNexus
Cannabis
Nicotine
Caffeine
Mania
Can't find those last four modules on Modular Grid for some reason.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Despite banging on upthread about how I'm in no rush to buy modules, I want to buy some modules. The thing is, I can't decide between triggery clocky things and a Ladik M-216, to bring my Rytm into the modular world, or something samply/loopy/processory for modularising DAW audio. Please look at my hole and advise. I'll certainly be getting moar VCAs. There's not much I can't do at the moment, it's about creative exploration more than anything. Apart from my modular I have a Dom 1, Rytm, mother and BSP. I quite like idea of sequencing the Rytm from my rack and bringing the stereo outs into the rack to do, uhm, stuff to it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/454131

Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Despite banging on upthread about how I'm in no rush to buy modules, I want to buy some modules. The thing is, I can't decide between triggery clocky things and a Ladik M-216, to bring my Rytm into the modular world, or something samply/loopy/processory for modularising DAW audio. Please look at my hole and advise. I'll certainly be getting moar VCAs. There's not much I can't do at the moment, it's about creative exploration more than anything. Apart from my modular I have a Dom 1, Rytm, mother and BSP. I quite like idea of sequencing the Rytm from my rack and bringing the stereo outs into the rack to do, uhm, stuff to it.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/454131

The Ladik M-216 is so darn cheap, but unless you have Parasite on your Frames, or a clock divider, I don't see much use for it yet in your system. I'm running mine with Grids, Knight's Gallop and a slew of Doepfer clock utilities.

"Samply / loopy" says to me, get a Disting Mk4. Clocked audio playback on that thing is perfect for bringing in sample / drum loops.

With your system, I'd looks for some character modules that gel with whatever style of music you're trying to make. That would include some of the cheap Doepfer VCF's like the Wasp or SEM. I'm a big fan of Aperture is you're looking for some grunge / distortion on you filters, but that's a bit more.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Now that sounds like a DIY I might could handle! Would you share the schematics?
I can make a photo once they hand them out
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search