The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
One day we will be free of this Eurocrack lark and spent our money on food, clothes and loved ones, but until then we must navagate a slippery road of lush & longing
I dunno, man. I thought it was just a fad that everybody was going through with it becoming mainstream to go Eurorack, but now even Guitar Center is selling modules. I think it's here to stay for a long time, now.

The bright side is that maybe the hipsters that got into it just to be different will see modular as being too mainstream and switch to a Timbre Wolf/Rhythm Wolf combination.

BeeTeeDubs: I saw your PM, just haven't been able to listen since SoundCloud is blocked at work. Should be able to dive into it tonight. Thanks, man! I love you!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Via NAMM thread @ muffs

Quote:
We'll [intellijel] be showing five new 3U Eurorack modules and five new 1U modules.

Two of the 3U modules will not be shipping for at least two months after NAMM but are very close to being done. One of them will be shipping within weeks and the other two are ready to ship and may be in stores by time we debut them.

All of the 1U modules are built and ready to ship.

There was one more 3U module that we could not finish in time for namm so we may release it a few months later when the dust settles.

There is also another module that was pretty close (and we have been working on it for several years) but it is going through a pretty major redesign and won't be ready until the summer.

We'll have some other bits and bobs there too related to cases.

Time to pack....
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I dunno, man. I thought it was just a fad that everybody was going through with it becoming mainstream to go Eurorack, but now even Guitar Center is selling modules. I think it's here to stay for a long time, now.
Once the government get a grasp of how addictive it is it will become a class A drug.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Via NAMM thread @ muffs
Brilliant, I'm an intellijel fan.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Lol. What is a dirty jewel?
You. You are a dirty jewel. (Because Jewel sound like Jule(s)?)
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Give me a couple days, I may have a DXF on my machine that I ended up sending to the wood shop, if not I can knock one out pretty quickly.
Fantastic. If not too much trouble the 6u also. Thanks.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
If you go to the link you sent - it lets you download as DXF.
Ok I'll look again later. Thanks
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I need to fire up my dinosaur PC. Is it possible Mac will not let me download DXF?

Thanks
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great news! Now post demos or we shall ostracize you and call you names behind your back! (You dirty Jewel!)

Quote:
One day we will be free of this Eurocrack lark and spent our money on food, clothes and loved ones, but until then we must navagate a slippery road of lush & longing
One day Eurorack will all be complete voice and multi function modules so you'll need four, and the other ten you might like
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
I need to fire up my dinosaur PC. Is it possible Mac will not let me download DXF?

Thanks
Here ya go. You can download PDF with these.

6U: http://a360.co/2iCyqHg
9U: http://a360.co/2iYYJIx
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The PC was the answer.

Thank you very much

Last edited by e3p0; 10th January 2017 at 11:57 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol That's brilliant. I'm going to change my name to dirty jewels but meaning jewels of the crown. I think that's quite apt.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I saw some comments of people not into Euro saying it sounds like **** and I thought well it depends what you do with it but after doing some research on uMod and uScale modules I am in somewhat agreement. Why would you want a module that makes things sound like this. I am half way in Euro and half in the camp of 'it just sounds like noise'. I still have musical sensibilities but do appreciate experimentation. I know this is a demo of course but I look at these and think why the hell would I want that? I think my Mum's washing machine sounds better.

intellijel μMod & μScale 2nd patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3AucNpEgn8
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I listened to your Pink Noise album, Derp. That's some really nasty ****. I liked the combination of synth and guitar, great stuff.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

How much HP is your mother washing machine ? and does it come with an expander, I maybe tempted.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I saw some comments of people not into Euro saying it sounds like **** and I thought well it depends what you do with it but after doing some research on uMod and uScale modules I am in somewhat agreement. Why would you want a module that makes things sound like this. I am half way in Euro and half in the camp of 'it just sounds like noise'. I still have musical sensibilities but do appreciate experimentation. I know this is a demo of course but I look at these and think why the hell would I want that? I think my Mum's washing machine sounds better.

YouTube is blocked, so I'm going to have to make assumptions: I like demos like that. The zanier and noisier it is, the better. The reason is that when you listen to something like that, you can't think in terms of what it is doing, but rather what it can do. You listen to sounds like that and find the timbres you like, and realize that this module(s) can get you to that timbre.

I'll give you an example where the opposite blows up on you: That Bermuda VCO demo I posted. One of the comments on that video was from a guy going on about how great it sounded and how he ordered one for his new modular system. A week later, it arrives and he PM's me because he can't get it to 'sing' the way I did. It didn't occur to him that what he was listening to was more than just the Bermudas themselves, it was the filters, it was the effects, it was the surrounding mix, it was the way it was modulated, all of these things came together to give a different impression of what the module sounds like without these things. Because I made this 'demo' video that was making them sound as pretty as they could, he ended up buying a module that he wasn't happy with and I'm a butthole for it.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
YouTube is blocked, so I'm going to have to make assumptions: I like demos like that. The zanier and noisier it is, the better. The reason is that when you listen to something like that, you can't think in terms of what it is doing, but rather what it can do. You listen to sounds like that and find the timbres you like, and realize that this module(s) can get you to that timbre.

I'll give you an example where the opposite blows up on you: That Bermuda VCO demo I posted. One of the comments on that video was from a guy going on about how great it sounded and how he ordered one for his new modular system. A week later, it arrives and he PM's me because he can't get it to 'sing' the way I did. It didn't occur to him that what he was listening to was more than just the Bermudas themselves, it was the filters, it was the effects, it was the surrounding mix, it was the way it was modulated, all of these things came together to give a different impression of what the module sounds like without these things. Because I made this 'demo' video that was making them sound as pretty as they could, he ended up buying a module that he wasn't happy with and I'm a butthole for it.
I can completely understand that. He sounds naive or just inexperienced to think that. Thankfully as a newbie I haven't made that mistake, although it took me a while to get the right sounds out of Braids and I still can't get the PLUK voice to play (help anyone).

Here's the link. I guess this is just for modular connoisseurs. Modular sommeliers even.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
although it took me a while to get the right sounds out of Braids and I still can't get the PLUK voice to play (help anyone).
Are you sending a gate/trigger to the trigger input on Braids? You won't hear anything out of the PLUK mode unless you do.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Out of interest for people who don't do DIY this is a picture of the JP8 i built.

layman's terms if you look where you plug your power cable in you can see 2 black components either side these are called Ferrite bead they attenuate high frequency/electronic noise, on the left of the left hand Ferrite bead is a resistor (blue strippey thing they resist current/slow the flow).
Directly in front of the power are 2 caramel coloured ceramic capacitors then in front of them are two black barrel looking electrolytic capacitors, capacitors work a bit like a battery in that they hold electricity but at a given time they'll suddenly unleash it (you can imagine thats how you'd get a LED to flash on and off)
To the left of them is a black transistor, transistors are like a gate that will open/shut at certain voltages (Transistors can also be configured to work as Op-amps)
In that small area there is not any Diodes, Diodes act like non return valves only letting electricity flow one way.
Infact i can't see any Diodes on the whole board unless one is out of site/obscured by another component.
Therefore this board has no protection if you plug your power connector in the wrong way.
If you have a JP8 with the same PCB revision and plug in your power the wrong way then you have fried something.

I learned more about electronics in that one post than I have in the last 25 years..lol
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much HP is your mother washing machine ? and does it come with an expander, I maybe tempted.
If there is a Panel/PCB option I might be interested.

I'm nearly 100% DIY and/or through-hole only modules (In other words, Doepfer) so thankfully that makes me pretty immune to NAMM.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I do not know if there have been Granular Reverbs plug ins in the past, I never looked for one... but just noticed there is some sort of 'Clouds type' plug-in been announced

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes as Derp said demos are just demos of potential... showing more the type of sounds a module can make, the flexibility... Also I guess these types of demos are easier to make because to create a valid standardly accepted piece of music to demo something for a number of modules it may take a bit longer.

Then yes...
1- it's what 'you' do with it that counts...
2- something that 'can' sound like this is useful to experimental ambient crowd
3- special effects for animations/movie scenes/games

but of course if you don't go wild and keep the patch quantised in tune with specific chord/harmony it will sound more musical.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I was looking at these "Skorn da bask" 3 oscillator/1 filter Drone thingys last year as i like Drones and now my interest has been sparked again.
There is a modular shop in the UK selling them for £319 but i don't really want to pay that, so I've tweeted Thonk to see if they will
possibly be any DIY kits of this module in the future as i looked at the PDF and PCB it looks a very simple Thru-hole build plus Thonk already do "Stakal brulu" kits.
I don't really expect a reply from Thonk but it may spark an idea, flick a light bulb or get a ball rolling, business money money money.
If i could buy a kit for half the price of the module id be happy.

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

and of course everything sounds bigger and better with reverb

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

This one is Avalon, one modular patch and drums.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I do not know if there have been Granular Reverbs plug ins in the past, I never looked for one... but just noticed there is some sort of 'Clouds type' plug-in been announced

There are and have been a number of softie granular synthesis plugs and even iOS apps. Nothing actually new to be seen here. Better perhaps, but no not new.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Ken McBeth just posted this on his Facebook page 5 minutes ago,
I know its not modular but we might as well be the first to know

Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is the spacing for z rails? Which rails did you use?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
Is the spacing for z rails? Which rails did you use?
Yes TipTop Z-rails.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Ken McBeth just posted this on his Facebook page 5 minutes ago,
I know its not modular but we might as well be the first to know

Is this sort of an Elements Lite or completely unique? Any word re: price and specs?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search