The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

For the foreseeable future - due to space and budget limits - I'm restricting myself to three full-sized Keyboards, two Minis, four Desktop boxes, one 10U rack, and two 9Ux104 cases of Modular. And even that much is hard to squeeze into my music space and still have room to breathe or work, along with a guitar rig, a mixer and monitors and computer, DJ rig, a chair and a place to stand.

GAS and wants aside - it's still a fair amount of gear - and so many have made so much great music with far less after all..., and it'll still take me a while to fill up those things now that I'm basically starting over with nearly nothing, so it's actually helpful to have these limits and a clear direction, these GAS reality checks, which helps me better focus on the music itself, with limited time, which I have to split between guitar, DJing, and synths / electronica, etc...

Which brings me back to Modular, and my quest to best fill that 18Ux104 to suit my needs, avoid redundancy, sound amazing, and not cost a fortune.

I'll tell you one thing - I'm already better at synthesis in every way just as a result of discovering modular and places like this and thinking about it in terms of modular patch building. I will forever be a better musician because of modular and people like/including you guys, and I'm just getting going again after a long break with no gear.

Pardon the novel...
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
my quest to best fill that 18Ux104 to suit my needs, avoid redundancy, sound amazing, and not cost a fortune.
I think ~2000hp is a good place. bigger than that gets cumbersome. That's where I'm at anyways. Could I do more things in modular? sure. Should I do everything in modular? no. but it would be nice if i was a millionaire.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My best original stuff was done, way back on Cakewalk for DOS with a Roland MPU-401 and an Emu Emax SE. Once ProTools and Cubase become pervasive, my creativity died out (you can also add that I got a real job and started a family too around that time). Don't get me wrong, I love editing on a screen with a mouse and keyboard, but not writing. Maybe it's just that there are too many distractions or even lack of limitations in something like Ableton that got in the way. .
Are you me?
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

I just pulled several unfinished ideas off an old CDROM that's all Cakewalk 8, Sound Forge 4.5, Recycle and Rebirth with Rebirth AddOns, and early Waves plugins. I still have the apps, too, and I was smart enough back then (98 in the case of this CD) to save all of my samples in clearly labeled folders, and all of that jazz. I'll be resurrecting a few of them, but moving them into Ableton now. It'll be fun to fire up Cakewalk again, even for just a minute to make sure I get the important bits out.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, those two 9Ux104 cases feel like plenty to start with - and give it a real run with a few voices and a bunch of patterns - without getting too Derp-y too fast (haha, really I'm jealous...), and it will fit right above my main desk immediately above my near fields and computer monitor. Perfect for standing height, and a perfect fit here.

I'm obsessed with arps and chords and percussive patterns lately, been soaking up tons of knowledge as things are discussed here, then jumping over Muffs to read more. The possibilities are incredible, and offer way more than any other hardware I've owned and with a better UI / playing experience than ITB options.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

I really like using my DAW as a tape recorder, which is why I'm a bit disappointed that Pamela's new Workout can't operate as a master clock, I still have to slave to my PC if I want things to sync afterwards. The DSI sequencers are all bang on, play and jam something at a fixed BPM on the synth, tape it in the DAW, nudge it to the grid at the same bpm and it's perfect. Can't say the same for Pamela...
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

You bastards talked me into it:

Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Yeah, those two 9Ux104 cases feel like plenty to start with - and give it a real run with a few voices and a bunch of patterns - without getting too Derp-y too fast (haha, really I'm jealous...), and it will fit right above my main desk immediately above my near fields and computer monitor. Perfect for standing height, and a perfect fit here.

I'm obsessed with arps and chords and percussive patterns lately, been soaking up tons of knowledge as things are discussed here, then jumping over Muffs to read more. The possibilities are incredible, and offer way more than any other hardware I've owned and with a better UI / playing experience than ITB options.
I think you and I are kinda chasing the same idea now. Clock dividers opened me up to a whole other way of thinking about the modular. I'd toyed with generative parts before, but not to this obsessive level I'm at right now. Between the clock dividers, some more sequencers, and some quantizers, and random sources, I've got this kind of mindset that what I'm wanting to play with is a pseudo-generative structure, but adding melodies and rhythms that are almost like a controlled random design. Not completely random, but just enough to where if I let go of the reigns on a part, it's going to continue down a pleasing route.

At this point, I know that what I'm piecing together is strictly masturbatory, but I feel like a twelve year old boy that just discovered what his willy can do when you play with it. I've got more than enough to make serious compositions with, but I'm finding myself more often than not just preferring to see what wild and weird patch I'll come up with next.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

It's been great reading others thoughts on having gone modular. For me, modular has become part of a cycle. After an extensive period of patching, I am reminded of why semi-modulars and fixed architecture synths were invented in the first place. Then, when I bump up against their limitations, I am reminded of the value of modular.

I will say this, though: my productivity has taken a hit since going modular two years ago. But I'm not overly concerned (yet) because there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's been an intensely enjoyable period of study--like learning a new instrument or foreign language. I now feel I'm ready to join a community orchestra or test out that new foreign language (by trying to pick up some chicks! )
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

This probably won't come through, but trying it anyway ... the 2hp Freez. The GAS is strong with this one.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...xt=0&width=400
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This probably won't come through, but trying it anyway ... the 2hp Freez. The GAS is strong with this one.

Those guys keep cranking out inexpensive, kickass modules... that happen to be TINY.
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Those guys keep cranking out inexpensive, kickass modules... that happen to be TINY.
How is the patching experience with such tiny modules? Won't it get cramped really fast?
Still, it is impressive how much functionality they can squeeze into such tiny space.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

memorial weekend discounts.... how about 4 more modules and 2 more spring tanks!
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
How is the patching experience with such tiny modules? Won't it get cramped really fast?
Still, it is impressive how much functionality they can squeeze into such tiny space.
I can't stand the knurled shafts as knob thing. I've put proper knobs on all of them in my system and it definitely improves the usability. It's not just the tactile feel of them it's also really difficult to see what they are set at, especially in low light and if the little white marking gets rubbed off or dirty. I think tiny modules in general are great for filling up the odd gaps here and there but wouldn't want a full system like that even if you could throw it in your bag and ride your bike to a gig.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Alright.. but 6 of them?
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I really need to build mine. It's been sitting, lonely for far too long. Haven't built anything in a couple months - working on my flippin house instead.

Guess that's better than just sitting on my couch.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Alright.. but 6 of them?
Yeah, I just used that picture because that's the only one I could find of the panel I ended up with. Found a really cheap builder on eBay. Dude's based out of Taiwan, so I guess the economy is way different than here so that he can afford to undercut everybody else so much. Feel bad not buying from Septik, but I doubt he'd be comfortable building and selling for $195 a pop.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I'm digging their version of the Turing Machine because it's cheap and kind of set-and-forget, but if I had to tweak it a lot, I don't think I'd be happy with it. Very cramped, and I'm with Subdo on the knurled shaft instead of proper knobs. It's not something I would want to put my hands on a lot.
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Keith Emerson's Hoedown patch...

Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

It's my birthday next month, yesterday I showed the wife a picture of a Qu-bit contours and said what a great module it is.

I won't mention it anymore, lets just see if that seed actually grows and bares fruit
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ordered and on the way ... Just couldn't resist. As for the knobs, for something like this one, all the controls have a CV input equivalent. That way I can use a really big knob like my Frames. (That sounded very Derp-like inappropriate )
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ordered and on the way ... Just couldn't resist. As for the knobs, for something like this one, all the controls have a CV input equivalent. That way I can use a really big knob like my Frames. (That sounded very Derp-like inappropriate )
Cool module!
Is there something like this in more hp? It is really tiny. And this one asks for heavy knobtwisting....
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I just used that picture because that's the only one I could find of the panel I ended up with. Found a really cheap builder on eBay. Dude's based out of Taiwan, so I guess the economy is way different than here so that he can afford to undercut everybody else so much. Feel bad not buying from Septik, but I doubt he'd be comfortable building and selling for $195 a pop.
Dang that's a lot cheaper than I had mine built for.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
It's my birthday next month, yesterday I showed the wife a picture of a Qu-bit contours and said what a great module it is.

I won't mention it anymore, lets just see if that seed actually grows and bares fruit
You have a very understanding and generous wife
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Dang that's a lot cheaper than I had mine built for.
A lot of good engineers in Taiwan! You could get a cheap TV too
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Doepfer A-160-1 divides starting on the on the first beat. For example, the 16th division with output on the first tick, then the 16th tick. The A-160-2 does "musical" divisions, think putting a snare drum on 2 and 4. That's why I have both. Sounds like you're looking for something like the A-160-1.

Quote:
So just confirming the A-160-2 doesn't output on the first tick, then? Because specwise, that looks like what I'd want to get since it theoretically does both musical and structural division. This graphic makes it look like it can

Quote:
The A-160-2 doesn't do first tick. 4 is the 4th tick only. Like I said, if you wanted to do a 4 on the floor, you'd use the A-160-1 for the kick and A-160-2 for the snare.
So the A-160-2 finally came in. Mine counts off on the up beat (1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4). I have no idea why yours and mine are counting off so differently.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where did you find one that was in stock? This is one of those so cheap it's a no-brainer kind of modules and I totally want it.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Cool module!
Is there something like this in more hp? It is really tiny. And this one asks for heavy knobtwisting....
The only one I can think of is the 1010 FXBox. There's lots of manglers out there, but most of them require sampling into them first. That alternative firmware for Clouds might be able to do it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

I just came across the Doepfer quad a-135-1 CV controlled mixer and I was thinking that could be interesting fading things in and out over time - I was thinking this assuming it's at the end of the chain but really it's a vca mixer that can be used anywhere. What else could you do with this?

And also... could you give some pointers using Pamelas. Since I bought it a couple of months ago, I've hardly used it. I have no reason to use it with drums as I use drum machines or samples. What I thought I would use it for is to re-trigger envelopes and LFO's. What else should I be using it for? Does it make toast
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search