The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
So I think I’ll Ebay my M32 and little Synthrotek case, stick the money in the bank and keep rocking my el cheapo synthpunk Korgs, my little Boutiques and my mixer...I know if I committed more I could get more out of it, but as it is, I only have so much time and want to make tracks. Your mileage may - and definitely does - vary. I'm admitting I'm in over my head for what I'm getting out of it :D
Good on you for making decision based on your needs and not marketing. HOWEVER, if you're ever feeling a little cramped by the synth punk Korgs hopefully you got a little taste of the infinite void that is modular {:€

^ Can we get a proper Cthulhu emoticon in this piece?
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru

Updated my metropolis, great idea to send that extendable usb cable with the updater, update went smoothly..
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
After a good few months as a “modular synth user” I have concluded:

1. Having the extra modulation points is nice, but I tend towards just making pretty or aggressive mono synth sounds – ie every time I think I’m being unconventional, I realise I could have gotten there on my Odyssey or MS-20.
2. It is f_cking expensive. For the cost of what I have in modular, I could have had a Moog Sub 37 or similar.
3. The cables. The VCAs. You need a bunch for every single patch, and it doesn’t really feel worth it. It gets MESSY fast. I like TIDY.
4. What I really like is CONTROL VOLTAGE. Ie: sending gate and CV signals from my SQ1 to my fixed architecture synths for interesting/expressive sequencing. Oddly, I still really, really like semi-modular stuff – I’d never give up the MS-20.
5. It goes against my “ghetto minikey man groovebox aesthetic” to buy MORE modular to address any limitations. I really, really don’t want that. Certain amount of STUFF around me and I start to feel a bit trapped and anxious...I'm not built to carry shedloads of material possessions.

So I think I’ll Ebay my M32 and little Synthrotek case, stick the money in the bank and keep rocking my el cheapo synthpunk Korgs, my little Boutiques and my mixer...I know if I committed more I could get more out of it, but as it is, I only have so much time and want to make tracks. Your mileage may - and definitely does - vary. I'm admitting I'm in over my head for what I'm getting out of it :D
Yes it sure can get out of control, I have recently scaled mine back to just 4 cases and it will never expand past this again, I only have 4 more modules to get and it's actually fully complete so there is a light at the end of the tunnel, next week I pick up my system 8 and new audio interface, then I will get back to picking up those last 4 modules and finally say my studio is complete, and this time it really is, the only additions after these last few bits of hardware are collecting a few high quality VST's for Reason. Making tunes is the best fun, gear gas is a terrible affliction, it gets me depressed a lot, I hate it so much, would rather tress out over getting a track right or an arrangement to make sense..

if I want anything new in the future something will have to go, there will be no adding on more gear, it's a pointless obsession imo..
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Do you get on w/ Renee and PP? I always wondered if those that didn't have oily enough fingers (or perhaps too oily) for PP would be able to get on with this.

It looks cool though.
Never had a René, but Pressure Points worked the way it was supposed to when I had one. It just didn't do what I was hoping it did. I'll let you know on Charcot Circles when it comes in. It's coming from Perfect Circuit, so it'll take forever to get here.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Don’t get me wrong. The aesthetic is really compelling – visually and sonically – and I already had a few “a-ha” (with credit to Mr Partridge) moments – even as an education tool, a basic modular is awesome. But I find myself doing some pretty conventional synth stuff with what I have – and I know that to get the multi-triggered-wall-of-chordal-wash-and-bassy-blinkenlights, I might just need a multi-triggered-wall-of-chordal-wash-and-bassy-blinkenlights. Best to back out of the crack party now while I still have my teeth.

Anyway, comparing my excitement at the E2S arriving to getting this boutiquey analogey stuff reveals what a wrong ‘un I really am...Was talking to my missus about it last night, a lot of HER muso friends say “I got me a small modular...and made some excellent Moog/Roland sounds, too.” Happy to leave it to you wilder, more experienced folks who are more astute savers :D Much wonderful modular music being made out there 
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
it will never expand past this again
Quote:
studio will be done

(restraint, focus, and well thought out limitations are good, no doubt)
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I totally understand the aversion to the mess of cables.

I can see myself with some CV patchbays one day to reduce / contain the chaos, at least once I have and settle upon a core set of modules I intend to keep, like a TT 1U patchbay or two per big case, grouped and labeled in some clear and logical way. Something... and I know it's OCDish, but whatever .
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Maniac

There is something to be said for 1u tiles in that respect. Much cleaner patching, but still...

There’s so much nice semi-modular and self contained stuff coming out now, too.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Been putting Pamela's new Workout through the paces. Great module for sync. The new envelopes and LFO's are fantastic, as well as the euclidean modes (% of time it triggers). Gonna need more VCAs. My only gripe is the 'Master BPM Clock' isn't perfect (even after calibration). like 100 BPM is actually 99.97, so after running a loop for 30 mins, it's off by a whole second. At least it's consistent. Gonna slave it off my yarns built in clock (which is a better master bpm clock), or an audio track of clock from my daw if I need it 100% perfect - but it would have been nice to have this be a rock solid master clock. It's slaves perfectly.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Been putting Pamela's new Workout through the paces. Great module for sync. The new envelopes and LFO's are fantastic, as well as the euclidean modes (% of time it triggers). Gonna need more VCAs. My only gripe is the 'Master BPM Clock' isn't perfect (even after calibration). like 100 BPM is actually 99.97, so after running a loop for 30 mins, it's off by a whole second. At least it's consistent. Gonna slave it off my yarns built in clock (which is a better master bpm clock), or an audio track of clock from my daw if I need it 100% perfect - but it would have been nice to have this be a rock solid master clock. It's slaves perfectly.
Deary me that is dodgy re the drifting clock on the NEW pamela's workout, it's supposed to have improved timing, how hard is it to get a super stable anlog clock when that is the goal of the module..?? I would have thought by now that the maths and circuit design would be straight forward enough to obtain a stable analog clock..?
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Yep, modular to Analog Rytm integration. If you do go down that route yourself, make sure you pick the right Ladik module. The M-216 is designed specifically for the AR and probably the Volca Beats. Each trigger goes to the same note on a seperate channel. They make a number of different, simple, Trigger to MIDI boxes asides from the M-216, one for the Machine Drum, and one for the Nord Drum and General MIDI mapping (probably the one you'd want).
Yo. I'd like to integrate my Rytm with my modular so am considering picking an M-216 up. I want to move away from x0x sequencing - what do you use for sequencing module-wise? I like the look of the Trigger Riot but it's muchos hp. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Any GS members coming to Happy Knobbing 2017 next week ?

https://www.sequencer.de/blog/lastca...-germany/30808

Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

1. Having the extra modulation points is nice, but I tend towards just making pretty or aggressive mono synth sounds – ie every time I think I’m being unconventional, I realise I could have gotten there on my Odyssey or MS-20.
2. It is f_cking expensive. For the cost of what I have in modular, I could have had a Moog Sub 37 or similar.
3. The cables. The VCAs. You need a bunch for every single patch, and it doesn’t really feel worth it. It gets MESSY fast. I like TIDY.
4. What I really like is CONTROL VOLTAGE. Ie: sending gate and CV signals from my SQ1 to my fixed architecture synths for interesting/expressive sequencing. Oddly, I still really, really like semi-modular stuff – I’d never give up the MS-20.
5. It goes against my “ghetto minikey man groovebox aesthetic” to buy MORE modular to address any limitations. I really, really don’t want that. Certain amount of STUFF around me and I start to feel a bit trapped and anxious...I'm not built to carry shedloads of material possessions.

It's okay to not get along with modular. It's not for everybody, though god bless the hipsters for trying to make it be an everybody kind of thing because secondhand prices on a lot of older modules are through the floor. Really though, there are times when I miss fixed-architecture synths for their simplicity, especially since I tend to gravitate toward simpler sounds. It was kinda cool grabbing a synth, messing with some knobs and being ready to go. When it comes down to it, I know that the modular is just for masturbating my ego and is totally extraneous. It is expensive, but I find it easier to justify than a whole synth because I'm purchasing it as one less expensive bite after another. Before you give up entirely, have you considered any voice modules, though? Not necessary the Mother, but like Tonestar, Koe, System-1m, Atlantis, etc? They might be more up your alley since they're essentially semimodular synths in their own right.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

To be honest, I've been into modular for a year now, and am starting to think about selling it all off for similar reasons. Like you, I've recognized that what I like most about it is Control Voltage, and flexibility in patching. What I dislike is the expense, and the fact that I've barely finished any actual music in the last year. I do still enjoy it, and only have a few more spaces left in my Mantis case, but I may not expand beyond that...and part of me also thinks it might be more prudent to sell all/most of it off and buy a DSI synth that allows for some crazy modulation options-I've found it much more fun to patch my little desktop Evolver since getting into modular, as it has opened my thinking up considerably in ways to patch it.

Even if I do decide to get out of modular, I can see myself coming back to it in a year or so with a small Bastl rack or something.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Yo. I'd like to integrate my Rytm with my modular so am considering picking an M-216 up. I want to move away from x0x sequencing - what do you use for sequencing module-wise? I like the look of the Trigger Riot but it's muchos hp. Thanks.
Personally, most of my trigger sequencing is via controlled random devices. In the past it was Frames in euclidian mode, but now mostly Knight's Gallop, clock dividers and a Pico Logic. For melodic stuff I'm using a Metropolis with a precision adder to handle transposition. Really looking forward to getting my USB dongle thing so I can update my Metro. 1v/o transposition within the Metro is going to make things much easier for me.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you get on w/ Renee and PP? I always wondered if those that didn't have oily enough fingers (or perhaps too oily) for PP would be able to get on with this.

It looks cool though.
Hand moisturiser is all you need. I have a little bottle of it next to the rack. Smells nice too
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Personally, most of my trigger sequencing is via controlled random devices. In the past it was Frames in euclidian mode, but now mostly Knight's Gallop, clock dividers as a Pico Logic. For melodic stuff I'm using a Metropolis with a precision adder to handle transposition. Really looking forward to getting my USB dongle thing so I can update my Metro. 1v/o transposition within the Metro is going to make things much easier for me.

Cheers, I have Frames and will stick Parasite on it, see how I get on.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

For those of you thinking of getting "out of modular" - have you considered selling and getting a matrixbrute? That modulation matrix, if you can get the hang of it, looks pretty good.

I'd never consider going back, but at the same time, I also have no interest in being all modular either. The ability to create much different rhythmic patterns, mix and match oscillators and filters/lpgs/additive synthesis, and modulation options up the wazoo make it too interesting to me. But like a few others, I have no desire or plans to grow past my current modular size - which is way bigger than what I originally planned on. Upgrades of sound/functionality or replacement of modules, but not growth.
Old 25th May 2017
Quote:
I'd never consider going back, but at the same time, I also have no interest in being all modular either.
I'm sorta in this boat but not all the way. I've hung on to a "standard" Mono and Poly (Slim Phat and Virus TI Snow) for when I just want to "play" a synth easily and not dive into modular process. And I have projects where I play with other people and need those sounds in my arsenal for that.

Quote:
But like a few others, I have no desire or plans to grow past my current modular size - which is way bigger than what I originally planned on.
Modular plans are funny- my "plan" changed ever single day for the first 10 months or so of playing around on modulargrid. Then the plan changed every week, and every month, until now. I seem to have "landed" on a real plan with a goal and a definitive "end" of sorts, at least to this phase in the plan.

Future purchases are likely to be very nearly 100% modular, and I anticipate my system growing at least by one monster base case in the future. If I go past that I think it might get a little unmanageable for me. I tend to leave modules out and even sort of "forget" to use them sometimes...I'm still not sure if it's because they end up hidden behind a mass of cables or what but it makes me think too much more and I won't be capable of using the thing to its full potential. I'm just better off with less stuff to remember.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those of you thinking of getting "out of modular" - have you considered selling and getting a matrixbrute? That modulation matrix, if you can get the hang of it, looks pretty good.

I'd never consider going back, but at the same time, I also have no interest in being all modular either. The ability to create much different rhythmic patterns, mix and match oscillators and filters/lpgs/additive synthesis, and modulation options up the wazoo make it too interesting to me. But like a few others, I have no desire or plans to grow past my current modular size - which is way bigger than what I originally planned on. Upgrades of sound/functionality or replacement of modules, but not growth.
I wouldn't go for a Matrixbrute, but that's because I was really unimpressed with it when I played it. But I would probably go for a DSI Pro12 or Pro2 because of the deep modulation possible. And I've got a Kurzweil K2500RS on the way right now, which also has a very modular design.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

RE: Clocks, the Circadian Rhythm has a great clock. I can create loops, record them to Renoise, trim them up, and then when I run the timestretch thing, it doesn't have to change the speed at all.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've thought along those lines quite a few times since starting 6 months ago but the more I stick with it the more I realise I wouldn't do the same things with fixed arch. synths or semi-modular. I like the freedom to create something particular and unique sounding and I find it's more intuitive patching than with a semi's or softies. It may take longer to spend some time on sound design but now I have particular ways of patching subtractive that I keep and I return to so I don't have to patch from the start. The expense - yes it is expensive but not it the same way as blowing £2k on a synth. It's like a hobby adding modules as and when that I'd probably otherwise waste on something else like going down the pub, clothes or other synths. The only thing I don't like is that it takes me away from composing and spending longer on sound design but I can produce a sound I like more. I think if I started again knowing what I do now I would limit myself to a couple of filters, vcos, lfos, envelopes, vcas and that would be enough, and I still might downsize a bit.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Hand moisturiser is all you need. I have a little bottle of it next to the rack. Smells nice too
How did this discussion turn to masturbation techniques again?
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

For me, modular primarily facilities the ability to create a Frankensynth (or three) of my favorite bits from a dozen or so different devices that exist and some that don't...

And secondarily, it facilitates the similar creation of a Sequencer / Arp / Chord / Pattern maker combo that also doesn't exist in any single or few existing boxes.

And lastly, the ability to have it all be OTB with a buttload of knobs and options, and primarily analog, without having to buy 10 different vintage boxes and synths.

Beyond that, for me, the rest is typical GAS. Interesting and mostly harmless. Thank goodness for this forum, that other one, and MG. The knowledge shared is fantastic.

Being a "modular artist" (nothing wrong with that) is of no interest to me. Synths are just one type of instrument, and bleeps and bloops and beats just one sort of sound.

Granted, if money is no object - sure, I may end up with a buttload of modules, or 20 different keyboards and boxes, or both, but until then I must be more practical...

Money aside, I think Modular beats Fixed 8+ times out of 10, especially since just about every bit from every interesting fixed synth and most effects exists as a module.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not going to say I'd never unload the modular because I said I'd never sell my Virus, and that sucker was gone very soon after I got entrenched in modular synthesis. I just don't see it happening for myself. Yeah, it's an insane hobby, and I don't work nearly as fast as I did with fixed-architecture synths, but I like that somehow, I have a world of infinite sound design possibilities in reach, but unlike having an army of fixed-architecture synths or a hard drive full of plugins, it doesn't ever feel like it's too much or it's becoming unmanageable. I'm still able to work regardless of how large the system gets. Like I've done two albums of dance music for a buddy of mine over the last year and a half and it takes a couple extra steps designing the sounds I need, sampling them into Renoise, and retuning them, but the composition stage is just as fast as ever, and I was able to whip out all of that music in less than a month for each album. It might not be my greatest work, but they were good enough for him to enjoy them and put his vocals over them.

Basically what I'm saying is that modular sound design is a little more slow, but ultimately the time spent is fun, and the end result speaks for itself.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How did this discussion turn to masturbation techniques again?
now now
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

When I think about going back to fixed arch synths I just think of all the time spent fixing and dealing with midi latency. CV has its quirks and limitations (polyphony) but the timing is always rock solid. Combine that with all of the clock and trigger utilities and all of the ways to sync other modules to them. There just isn't really an equivalent outside of modular unless you consider the various max/reaktor type software modular environments which I find really interesting but not tactile enough to really jam with. Also I'm about two years into modular and I still feel like I'm learning new tricks and techniques all the time which is also really exciting. I'm sure some of that would carry back over to fixed arch synths with deep mod matrix's but there's always limits. I just can't see myself digging as deep into something like a modern DSI even if the potential is there. There's something about modular that just begs you to experiment and that to me is what keeps electronic music in general exciting both as a musician and a listener.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Ah and the planning stage. Fun at first, then obsessive. I am sure there are people here who work harder than I do, but usually from about six until seven I'm at work or on 'home duties,' it feels like the matter of 'wot gear' is never settled, my skills blunted, my ideas getting away... I think finite systems are more me. Plus thinking about the cash and a Sub37 down the line. They are not very lacking in routing...

As it is, appreciating the MS20 again. And enjoying resampling it, too. Actually think even with a small modular a sampler or a looper is a big help.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I know what you mean and that is why I held off buying modular until I had saved enough to buy a decent amount of modules to give me a multi-voice setup to indeed make tracks.

If I had started with only a few modules I would have ended up bored quickly, depends on what you want to do but for multi-voice tracks you better budget for a decent amount of modules/money... otherwise yes a stand alone mono or poly synth and groove boxes can be a better bet

I love modular and I am happy I didn't spend any money on synths and modular for something like two years (saving) before I got into modular with something like 3 rows worth of modules... I do not regret doing it this way. And will be enjoying it even more after I finish the time-consuming DIY treatment of the music room
I'm sort of with Hokut on this, so here's my (too long) story ... I got back into trying to make music around the time the Korg MS-20M came out. I spent some time doing remixes while also modernizing my "fixed architecture" rig, swapping the Yamaha analogs I have for a Sub 37 and picking up a cheap, used E6400 Ultra. The tools I've always used were a sampler and a couple of analog mono synths, and then a poly of some sort. The quality of what I was producing was probably on par or better that what I did back in the 90's, but I wasn't doing original works. My daughter kept bugging me about working on other people's music and not making my own.

Composing in a modern DAW just doesn't sit right with me. My best original stuff was done, way back on Cakewalk for DOS with a Roland MPU-401 and an Emu Emax SE. Once ProTools and Cubase become pervasive, my creativity died out (you can also add that I got a real job and started a family too around that time). Don't get me wrong, I love editing on a screen with a mouse and keyboard, but not writing. Maybe it's just that there are too many distractions or even lack of limitations in something like Ableton that got in the way.

To get back to making original stuff, I first went down the groove box route; I wanted something I just sit down with just about anywhere, with some headphones, and bang our some stuff. I went through Push 2 (computer again!), a Yamaha RS7000, Korg ESX-1, Korg Electribe 2, Analog Rytm and Analog Four, but even those didn't work for me in the way I had intended. A few of those items I picked up from the local modular shop, RobotSpeak. Seeing all those flashing lights in what seemed at the time, a huge case, prompted me to start doing some research. When the Mantis hit the market, I pulled the trigger and had my first 60hp or so of modules.

If your goal or design is to create a mono synth or even a processing box in modular, you're probably going to get bored with it really quickly. Go buy a Moog Sub 37 or something similar and be happy and save your money. Even for me, things didn't really click until I had that second VCO and VCF. I find that modular really starts to shine when your rack(s) grow into a multi-timbral system, but not everyone has the money or patience to build a system capable of running three or more different voices.

In the past 10 months or so that I've been doing this modular "thing", I've created MY ultimate groove box. It works the way I like to work and can mostly generate the sounds I want to generate (I still think I need a Livewire AFG though). Additionally, patching aligns well with my creative process; every connection is an experiment. I also find myself at my modular almost every day, while the Push 2 and Ableton aren't getting any real use. The whole thing just resonates with me.

We're all different in our tastes and creative processes, but I remember going to Guitar Center a few weeks back to look at electric pianos with my daughter. I pointed back towards the synth section of the store and told her that for the first time ever, I have no desire look at anything in that section. I've built my own (mostly) perfect instrument.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru

I love both fixed and modular but what I especially like is those fixed arch synths that connect well to modular giving you the best of both worlds. I was really frustrated for a while trying to use elektron gear to make music and that kinda soured me on fixed stuff, but since getting rid of all that stuff it's become apparent to me that a total hybrid solution with a few carefully selected items works good for me..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search