The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3751
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Just popping my head in to say that I'm REALLY loving the Turing Machine. I'm still running that patch from the other day, only I've expanded it to have a stringy pad that comes in every thirty-two ticks. I think I want a second Turing Machine.

Also, I finally switched the jumper on my A-156 so that both quantizers are conforming to the same scale. VERY cool!
1
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3752
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just popping my head in to say that I'm REALLY loving the Turing Machine. I'm still running that patch from the other day, only I've expanded it to have a stringy pad that comes in every thirty-two ticks. I think I want a second Turing Machine.

Also, I finally switched the jumper on my A-156 so that both quantizers are conforming to the same scale. VERY cool!


Get an O_c... 4 turing machines! Have to use something external to control it, but you've got one or two things for that.
1
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3753
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not looking at this system behind me and thinking "I've got a lot of modules" at all. It feels like I've got a long way to go before I'm thinking "I've got a lot of modules!" Next month I start moving into the new house, and the thing I'm most looking forward to is bringing back the semi-circle configuration so my cable runs don't have to be so damn long.
I bet. Plus it feels like piloting the Space Shuttle or something.

Yeah, it's partially a size thing, which is a misleading metric, but a rig like yours or that custom one just doesn't seem crazy at all compared to a couple of 3+ tier keyboard stands and a dozen synths or more. At the peak I used to own a Moog Mini, a Juno 106, a DX7, and a few others, in two stands, and that **** takes up a lot of space, and in many cases I just don't think most are worth it anymore.

Discovering modular has changed my thinking entirely. I used to want about a dozen or so synths again now that I'm starting over, and many of them I just wanted to have - to have *that* sound or whatever, but I'm not a collector, and much of it seems a waste, on top of the risk and hassle cost of dealing with vintage gear, so now I want as few full keyboard synths as I can get away with - and new modern ones, and so I'm making choices differently.

Eventually I'd much rather have a wall of modular than a room of keyboards.
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Eventually I'd much rather have a wall of modular than a room of keyboards.

3
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3755
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Hey dudes-
Can anyone easily explain the important differences between the Endorphine.es Terminal and the Grand Terminal? It looks like they are totally different beasts on a couple things. I'm going to Control Voltage today...
Probably not in time for your trip but the two modules are surprisingly different:
Terminal was a dual LPG with a pair of looping AD/AR envelopes and some utilities.

Grand Terminal is based around a filter design (says there are models of ladder, diode, lpg, state variable and comb) with the pair of looping Ad/AR envelopes and some utilities.
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3756
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just popping my head in to say that I'm REALLY loving the Turing Machine. I'm still running that patch from the other day, only I've expanded it to have a stringy pad that comes in every thirty-two ticks. I think I want a second Turing Machine.

Also, I finally switched the jumper on my A-156 so that both quantizers are conforming to the same scale. VERY cool!
I remember having my Turing machine patched to cyclebox for weeks because it sounded like a 1960s Organ something you'd expect on a portishead track, I'll never find that sound again.
2
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3757
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Yeah, it's partially a size thing, which is a misleading metric, but a rig like yours or that custom one just doesn't seem crazy at all compared to a couple of 3+ tier keyboard stands and a dozen synths or more.
Completely agree. Back when I had a couple dozen fixed-architecture synths, it took a lot of space and honestly, just got to the point where I couldn't even make a good song anymore because there was just too much going on. Going all in on modular makes it a lot more compact and manageable.
1
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3758
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Get an O_c... 4 turing machines! Have to use something external to control it, but you've got one or two things for that.
Thanks for the reminder! When I get the extra scratch, I'll get in touch with @Septik to buy one of his.
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3759
Lives for gear
 
Septik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thanks for the reminder! When I get the extra scratch, I'll get in touch with @Septik to buy one of his.
O_Cs and uBraids on deck! Got dat FIRE son! Holla atcha boy! ;p

も日本語を流暢に話す. 送る準備ができている!
2
Share
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3760
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
O_Cs and uBraids on deck! Got dat FIRE son! Holla atcha boy! ;p

も日本語を流暢に話す. 送る準備ができている!
Old 22nd May 2017
  #3761
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Bastl Instruments Cinnamon? I read it has some super abilities.

I already have filters: AMsynths JP8, Polaris, Erica Polivoks and have A-105 coming. I am already very satisfied with my filters but tempted to tickle this one.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3762
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Metropolis updated. Took many attempts, one of which took it to a non-responsive state which was terrifying. But it came back and is now v.1.30, so all good.

Also pulled the trigger on a chunk of that Ladik cart, for those of you who were holding your breath since page 190-something; you may now exhale. Mostly logic functions; the flipflop, trigger probability, three-input logic, a buffered multiple, and a timbral modulation, which I assume is like a wave-folder. Someday they will get to America.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3763
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Metropolis updated. Took many attempts, one of which took it to a non-responsive state which was terrifying. But it came back and is now v.1.30, so all good.

Also pulled the trigger on a chunk of that Ladik cart, for those of you who were holding your breath since page 190-something; you may now exhale. Mostly logic functions; the flipflop, trigger probability, three-input logic, a buffered multiple, and a timbral modulation, which I assume is like a wave-folder. Someday they will get to America.
First attempt I had the cable connected to the wrong header, then second attempt I stupidly switched off the modular power halfway through the update, third attempt worked fine.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3764
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
my updater thingy is coming in the mail tomorrow, any tips for this update procedure using a mac..?

I assume I have to take the metrop out of the case to connect the updater and sit it back down loosely on the case but still powered to the case..?
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3765
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
my updater thingy is coming in the mail tomorrow, any tips for this update procedure using a mac..?

I assume I have to take the metrop out of the case to connect the updater and sit it back down loosely on the case but still powered to the case..?
Yes. The app walks you through it. Mine worked after I ran the updater app as administrator on Windows. Will probably work for you on Mac just fine--think I had the header connected wrong the first couple times.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3766
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
First attempt I had the cable connected to the wrong header, then second attempt I stupidly switched off the modular power halfway through the update, third attempt worked fine.
Yeah, having an identical header (save tiny label) immediately next to the firmware updater port was probably not the greatest move I've ever seen Intellijel make. In their defense, it didn't seem to blow anything up, and their general level of design and customer service are pretty high.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3767
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Yeah, having an identical header (save tiny label) immediately next to the firmware updater port was probably not the greatest move I've ever seen Intellijel make. In their defense, it didn't seem to blow anything up, and their general level of design and customer service are pretty high.
because I build a lot of modules I performed the update in a very blasé fashion, if I was a newbie I'd of been more cautious and not made the mistake.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3768
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Bastl Instruments Cinnamon? I read it has so super abilities.

I already have filters: AMsynths JP8, Polaris, Erica Polivoks and have A-105 coming. I am already very satisfied with my filters but tempted to tickle this one.
I'm a fan of Cinnamon myself. It's got a little Roland flavor to it, but still has its own thing going on. The drive, character, and resonance switches vary the character of the filter, so it's a lot more flexible than it would first appear to be. Since you brought up SEM20 earlier, if it's relevant to you, I do tend to lean on Cinnamon more than the SEM20. Thing is though, it can be kind of an aggressive filter in the way that a Polivoks is, so if you're still thinking of selling Polivoks, you might not like Cinnamon. It doesn't have to be angry all the time, but it's one of the things it does.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3769
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I got the Microbe Meta and the Synthrotek Roboto yesterday. Microbe Meta was kind of a surprise. I thought with only two knobs and one three-way switch for all of its functions, it would be hard to learn, but I didn't even have to crack open the manual to understand it. Figured out the quantization scales, clock divider, randomizer, and step editing very quickly. It's a very well thought out sequencer. I kinda wish it would display note names when you're sequencing within a scale, but at the same time, it is fun to sequence this thing blindly.

The Roboto is just plain fun. I had the Radio Music playing some recording of a little old woman ranting about diarrhea and a bed full of blood running through the Roboto and it was able to go from funny to creepy to silly in just a couple knob turns.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3770
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Eventually I'd much rather have a wall of modular than a room of keyboards.
My goal is to have both.

I do understand what you're saying, though. Going modular has definitely affected the trajectory of my development as a musician (not to mention the trajectory of my bank balance). My modular side is still lag(processing) behind the keyboard-centric fixed-architecture side... but balance is on the horizon.
1
Share
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3771
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm a fan of Cinnamon myself. It's got a little Roland flavor to it, but still has its own thing going on. The drive, character, and resonance switches vary the character of the filter, so it's a lot more flexible than it would first appear to be. Since you brought up SEM20 earlier, if it's relevant to you, I do tend to lean on Cinnamon more than the SEM20. Thing is though, it can be kind of an aggressive filter in the way that a Polivoks is, so if you're still thinking of selling Polivoks, you might not like Cinnamon. It doesn't have to be angry all the time, but it's one of the things it does.
Thanks. Maybe I'll stick with what I have for now and think about it for the future, or something else.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3772
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Bastl Instruments Cinnamon? I read it has some super abilities.

I already have filters: AMsynths JP8, Polaris, Erica Polivoks and have A-105 coming. I am already very satisfied with my filters but tempted to tickle this one.
The only problem with the Cinnamon is that you're going to want more than one

I love that filter so much.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #3773
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

This Arp Odyssey Dual Oscillator DIY looks interesting.
3
Share
Old 24th May 2017
  #3774
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar


It was on sale. I couldn't bring myself to say no.
4
Share
Old 24th May 2017
  #3775
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


It was on sale. I couldn't bring myself to say no.
Does it come with a sticky dart set?

What do you get for a bullseye?

Nice design. I've always liked round things with focus points in the centre
2
Share
Old 24th May 2017
  #3776
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Does it come with a sticky dart set?

What do you get for a bullseye?

Nice design. I've always liked round things with focus points in the centre
Well, hopefully they'll release the expander for it sometime this year. It's only got one set of CV outputs by default, but it's supposed to be able to handle up to eight with the breakout box. I figure $229 to get a foot in the door on an eight-channel CV sequencer isn't bad.
3
Share
Old 24th May 2017
  #3777
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
So... I've got like zero self control...

2
Share
Old 24th May 2017
  #3778
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


It was on sale. I couldn't bring myself to say no.
Do you get on w/ Renee and PP? I always wondered if those that didn't have oily enough fingers (or perhaps too oily) for PP would be able to get on with this.

It looks cool though.
Old 25th May 2017
  #3779
Gear Maniac
 

Travelling in the opposite direction

After a good few months as a “modular synth user” I have concluded:

1. Having the extra modulation points is nice, but I tend towards just making pretty or aggressive mono synth sounds – ie every time I think I’m being unconventional, I realise I could have gotten there on my Odyssey or MS-20.
2. It is f_cking expensive. For the cost of what I have in modular, I could have had a Moog Sub 37 or similar.
3. The cables. The VCAs. You need a bunch for every single patch, and it doesn’t really feel worth it. It gets MESSY fast. I like TIDY.
4. What I really like is CONTROL VOLTAGE. Ie: sending gate and CV signals from my SQ1 to my fixed architecture synths for interesting/expressive sequencing. Oddly, I still really, really like semi-modular stuff – I’d never give up the MS-20.
5. It goes against my “ghetto minikey man groovebox aesthetic” to buy MORE modular to address any limitations. I really, really don’t want that. Certain amount of STUFF around me and I start to feel a bit trapped and anxious...I'm not built to carry shedloads of material possessions.

So I think I’ll Ebay my M32 and little Synthrotek case, stick the money in the bank and keep rocking my el cheapo synthpunk Korgs, my little Boutiques and my mixer...I know if I committed more I could get more out of it, but as it is, I only have so much time and want to make tracks. Your mileage may - and definitely does - vary. I'm admitting I'm in over my head for what I'm getting out of it :D
8
Share
Old 25th May 2017
  #3780
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
After a good few months as a “modular synth user” I have concluded:
...
...
... but as it is, I only have so much time and want to make tracks. Your mileage may - and definitely does - vary. I'm admitting I'm in over my head for what I'm getting out of it :D
I know what you mean and that is why I held off buying modular until I had saved enough to buy a decent amount of modules to give me a multi-voice setup to indeed make tracks.

If I had started with only a few modules I would have ended up bored quickly, depends on what you want to do but for multi-voice tracks you better budget for a decent amount of modules/money... otherwise yes a stand alone mono or poly synth and groove boxes can be a better bet

I love modular and I am happy I didn't spend any money on synths and modular for something like two years (saving) before I got into modular with something like 3 rows worth of modules... I do not regret doing it this way. And will be enjoying it even more after I finish the time-consuming DIY treatment of the music room

Last edited by Hokut; 25th May 2017 at 07:58 AM..
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump