The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I'm offering a crisp $5 bill for each for every Filter you guys no longer want, because I'm here to help. $10 for each Morpheus since no one likes them.

Lol. I'll up that by $2
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Anyone checking out the new Moog Subsequent 37 CV? It looks like a great controller for 5Us.
I like that they're assignable! Still, I'm happy with my dated Little Phatty with CV outs. For anyone who might be interested in this model, though, I will say that having CV outs is *really* useful (but then, in this thread, that kind of goes without saying, doesn't it?). As lovely as the Sub 37 Tribute Edition is, I won't buy any new analog synths without at least CV/GATE outputs. They're just too useful.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I don't have the A-106-5 (yet) but you can definitely get a nice Oberheim-like sound from the A-106-6 which I do have. You can also get an absolutely dreadful sound. It's a good filter with many possibilities, but it's not the easiest to work with, I should warn you. At least, not for me. The problem is that to get the best sound from each of the various filter modes I find I have to do a lot of tweaking (in particular the input gain setting). In other words, it's fiddly. Still, I think it's worth the effort. It's the primary multimode filter in my system.

As for the A-106-5, I've heard good things about it. I've put off getting one only because I have a standalone SEM and don't really need it.
I'd like that classic Oberheim 80's synth sound and have just read that the OB-8 filter is the same and was taken from the SEM. Is the A-106-5 good enough to get into Oberheim territory? Does the Bubblesound SEM20 offer anything more? I'm not so wild about resonance and more into bass.

The DOEPFER A-105 sounds tasty too - Korg MonoPloy, Prophet 5. How does this compare to Tip Top's Z2040?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...filters-629788
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like that they're assignable! Still, I'm happy with my dated Little Phatty with CV outs. For anyone who might be interested in this model, though, I will say that having CV outs is *really* useful (but then, in this thread, that kind of goes without saying, doesn't it?). As lovely as the Sub 37 Tribute Edition is, I won't buy any new analog synths without at least CV/GATE outputs. They're just too useful.
I have a Slim P and thought once I might use with modular but then forgot. What do you use your CV outs for?
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
What do you use your CV outs for?
Mostly to control Moogerfoogers, but also sometimes another synth. Each of the available CV outs (Pitch, Gate, Env, Mod) has its uses depending. I particularly like applying envelopes to delay/chorus/flange times. Pitch CV comes in handy when I'd like to track the MF-107 Freq Box (which is basically a VCO) or the built-in carrier VCO of the MF-102 RingMod, or the filter of the MF-101. Also, before getting a Yarns MIDI interface, the Phatty was my only means of using alternate tunings on most of my older analog synths that only have equal temperament.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd be even happier with some assignable inputs. I think mine only has VCF cutoff. My poor Sub37 hasn't seen much use since I got my Modular.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have sliding nuts but they're pretty stable I read the RS-100 - a Mininoog copy was better sounding but the RS-110 is more flexible and a different thing. I'm wondering whether it's worth it at a knockdown price or should I get some other more interesting filter.
If you can get it at a decent price, I don't see how it wouldn't be worth at least trying out. If you don't like it, you can just sell it on.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
surely I will be haunted by the ghost of Bob Moog.
I wouldn't worry about that. I think his ghost has more important things to do right now...

Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd like that classic Oberheim 80's synth sound and have just read that the OB-8 filter is the same and was taken from the SEM. Is the A-106-5 good enough to get into Oberheim territory? Does the Bubblesound SEM20 offer anything more? I'm not so wild about resonance and more into bass.

The DOEPFER A-105 sounds tasty too - Korg MonoPloy, Prophet 5. How does this compare to Tip Top's Z2040?

Round-up: Eurorack modular filters | MusicRadar
IMHO, if you want classic Oberheim sound, modular is not where to get it. So much of that sound seems to be from differences in the voices, and and filter envelopes per voice being slightly out of tune and time from one another, etc. That's where you get that really big, moving sound. Wouldn't necessarily work as well in modular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'd be even happier with some assignable inputs. I think mine only has VCF cutoff. My poor Sub37 hasn't seen much use since I got my Modular.
The Sub37 has assignable CV inputs. It has since I believe the 1.2 version of the firmware? (the version with a bunch of the sequencer updates) You can assign the CV inputs to pretty much anything with a knob from what I recall.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the Bubblesound SEM20 offer anything more? I'm not so wild about resonance and more into bass.
You might like it, then. It doesn't self-oscillate, has a gentle SEM character to it, but then it gets gnarly when overdriven.

Quote:
I have the A-105 and love it. It's got a very vintage character to it. Pairs very nicely with the VCO-Sub.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My poor Sub37 hasn't seen much use since I got my Modular.
Ah, yes. Synth Guilt. I know it well. But among the many beauties of going modular are those unexpectedly delightful reunions one can have with simple interfaces and nary a patch chord. After an extensive period of patching, it's so refreshing to sit down, turn a few knobs on my Mono Lancet and start making some music. Only one envelope? Excellent! No re-trigger of the LFO? No problem! I'll just let it run...
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You might like it, then. It doesn't self-oscillate, has a gentle SEM character to it, but then it gets gnarly when overdriven.

I have the A-105 and love it. It's got a very vintage character to it. Pairs very nicely with the VCO-Sub.
I read some difference of opinion over the A-105 and Tip Top 2040 but more good feedback for the A-105 and your recommendation is good enough for me! Still I love the new branding colours Tip Top have used, it's like a pack of lemony n lime Opal Fruits (or Starburst now)

Tiptop Audio Z2040 Prophet-5 Filter - modular systems - schneidersladen.de

I'm sorted for Roland and Moog so I think I'll get the A-105 MonoPoly/Prophet and the A-106-6 SEM. Why not!
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I have the A-105 and love it. It's got a very vintage character to it.
My favorite Doepfer filter! I've got two of them (for those duophonic moments...).
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My favorite Doepfer filter! I've got two of them (for those duophonic moments...).
That saw sounds great at 4:00 onwards :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSctF9-lEU
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I just updated to the 1.3 Firmware for the Metropolis today and did this quick test. The Ratcheting is awesome and is exactly what I had hoped for! But I couldn't get the Saving feature to work at all for some reason (possibly user error, I'll have to try again to see.)

Hey everyone, I just made this supplemental video to show how the loading of saved sequences feature works. In the previous video I thought it wasn't working, but it was user error...

Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Here's a jam I did with the BSP where seq2 is sequencing seq1. Basically I have both v/o's plugged into a Triatt (poor man's unity mixer) and the sum going into a Dixie2 which is doing the arpy melody thing. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this kind of thing with modules. A transposing step sequencer would work but I want some way of changing the speed of a sequence with CV. Any suggestions for modules that provides CV control over clock multiplication? The 4ms QCD seems to do that but it's really more than I need. I already have the A160-2 for divisions. I looked at the Doepfer A-160-5 but no reset?

Some other bits about this patch - I'm sending the tiptop hat and clap modules through an Optomix. It does some really cool things to the transients and each hit comes out a little different without any envelopes other than the vactrols. The bass part is STO into ultrafold with some subtle modulation of the STO shape. This combo is one of my faves for getting dirty bass that isn't the standard square/saw into a LPF. Also Rings into Clouds (sorry Oliver).

I dig it!
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone, I just made this supplemental video to show how the loading of saved sequences feature works. In the previous video I thought it wasn't working, but it was user error...

Sweet.

What modules are involved in what we're hearing, and what are each doing, particularly around 1:30-2:00?
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just updated to the 1.3 Firmware for the Metropolis today and did this quick test. The Ratcheting is awesome and is exactly what I had hoped for! But I couldn't get the Saving feature to work at all for some reason (possibly user error, I'll have to try again to see.)

Nice. Those fills/bubbles/etc in the background are great.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

I was working on this bassline on Thursday and liking this patch. Omikron going through Polaris and a touch of LFO, nothing exotic here but sounds really good I'm going to see if I can add some other elements this weekend. I feel I'm finally being able to 'unleash the beast'.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...i1pUktNUGpJeXM
Old 20th May 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Nice. Those fills/bubbles/etc in the background are great.

Quote:
Quote:

Sweet.

What modules are involved in what we're hearing, and what are each doing, particularly around 1:30-2:00?
Thanks! For this test it's just a simple setup: Metropolis sequencing the Make Noise 0-Coast. 0-Coast going into the 4MS Dual Looping Delay (for stereo delays) which in turn is going into Mutable Instruments Clouds for a touch of Reverb. That's it.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! For this test it's just a simple setup: Metropolis sequencing the Make Noise 0-Coast. 0-Coast going into the 4MS Dual Looping Delay (for stereo delays) which in turn is going into Mutable Instruments Clouds for a touch of Reverb. That's it.
Thanks for breaking it down.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Here's something slutty. The 12 piece eurorack system Jan Willem (Ginko Synthese) is building for Colin Benders.

When I see that - I'm like - "I can see myself with that much space/euro, one day", and it's in those moments that I realize all hope for a small setup is lost. It "doesn't even seem like that much" anymore, you know? (I know you know)

Old 21st May 2017
Gear Guru

Hey genshi have you noticed improved timing re the clock input etc..?? there were always some weird daft starts to sequences when I used mine with an external clock, has that been resolved..?
Old 21st May 2017
To the fine folks at Winter-Modular, concerning your wonderful Eloquencer's next production batch-

You say it's gonna happen now.
But when exactly do you mean?
See, I've already waited too long...
And now my hope is gone.

Yeah...I'm sane...can't seem to get my mind off this damn thing. I haven't really even touched my wiggle box for like 2 weeks because I have been so goddamn preoccupied with what I'm GOING to be able to do. I decided that was bullsh1t GAS fvcking with me so I busted out a little patch last night- Karplus-Strong stuff using Grids to trigger the Quadra with Noise from the Mother-32 band-passed by the Humpack, delayed by the Chronoblob with Polaris low-passing the feedback loop. Sometimes i used the Mini-Slew on the delay time too. Nothing special, just always wanted to try it. It's mostly percussive and space noise...
Attached Files

Karplus-Weak.mp3 (11.06 MB, 731 views)

Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
It's mostly percussive and space noise...
Karplus-weak lol Nice sounds. I've performed similar experiments using Doepfer A-188 BBD modules and unfiltered clock noise.
Old 21st May 2017
Intellijel video about the Metropolis update:
Old 21st May 2017
Hey dudes-
Can anyone easily explain the important differences between the Endorphine.es Terminal and the Grand Terminal? It looks like they are totally different beasts on a couple things. I'm going to Control Voltage today...
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Hey genshi have you noticed improved timing re the clock input etc..?? there were always some weird daft starts to sequences when I used mine with an external clock, has that been resolved..?
Even with the old firmware, if you lock in the BPM, it'll avoid the weirdness when you first start it.
Old 22nd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Hey dudes-
I'm going to Control Voltage today...

Been needing all this stuff for a while now. Got some new short cables too- I never have enough shorties!
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
"doesn't even seem like that much"
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not looking at this system behind me and thinking "I've got a lot of modules" at all. It feels like I've got a long way to go before I'm thinking "I've got a lot of modules!" Next month I start moving into the new house, and the thing I'm most looking forward to is bringing back the semi-circle configuration so my cable runs don't have to be so damn long.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search