The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Demos just didn't work for me. It's an Edsel at best a Homer at worst, either way, WAY too expensive for what it is. Just IMO, no need for anyone gassing after it to challenge me to a duel. Just not my thing.
That's a great analogy. It feels like an Edsel; it's going to do what you need it to, but in spite of how feature-laden it is, at it's core it's just not worth all the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Good to know. Price tag was a little much for me and if it isn't all that and a bag of chips I'll probably skip it. I had already decided to put off any thought of it until the WMD Overseer is out. That may be all the stereo filtering I need.
The more I think about and analyze this module's sound, the more I'm realizing that there are pretty much six basic filters in this: Hipass, lopass, notch, comb, parametric, and vowel. It's all variations of these and while there are a lot of options to tweak on them like cutoff, slope, resonance, morph, etc. they all have the same basic character. It doesn't sound like a module filled with 285 different filters, it's just one multimode filter that's super adjustable.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head

I started with Frac because at the time that was where the Wiard was and I'd developed a thing about Wiard - I got the noise ring, boogie (LP) and borg2 filters.

Then I got a Wiard 300 series and in 2015 after a 9 year wait I got a new EMS VCS3.

I tend to gravitate to the Wiard & EMS for everything from SFX, sequences, bass, leads plus more experimental sounds.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Had a brief trip to Austin this week and stopped into switchedOn.. bit the bullet on Maths and LxD. This hobby is neverending.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

very cool..!!!
This is pretty awesome. Modular-heavy music that doesn't sound like 'modular music'.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Shark View Post
I started with Frac because at the time that was where the Wiard was and I'd developed a thing about Wiard - I got the noise ring, boogie (LP) and borg2 filters.

Then I got a Wiard 300 series and in 2015 after a 9 year wait I got a new EMS VCS3.

I tend to gravitate to the Wiard & EMS for everything from SFX, sequences, bass, leads plus more experimental sounds.
Those massive Wiard 300 modules look fantastic. They are so much more interesting to me than the standard MU stuff as far as larger formats go.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
This is pretty awesome. Modular-heavy music that doesn't sound like 'modular music'.
Other than the easel I don't see much modular going on. Not that there's anything wrong with that and still a nice track/video
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Those massive Wiard 300 modules look fantastic. They are so much more interesting to me than the standard MU stuff as far as larger formats go.
There is a heavy West Coast influence in the Wiard stuff (dynamic linear FM, Low Pass gates, the looping envelopes that go into audio rate) although it really is it's own thing.

I love it because it can do really out there and also really beautiful sensible stuff too.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I looked at the Doepfer A-160-5 but no reset?
Why would you want a reset on a clock multiplier? Wouldn't the reset be the incoming clock source?
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Why would you want a reset on a clock multiplier? Wouldn't the reset be the incoming clock source?
You make too much sense.

I've never used one and was thinking in terms of dividers where resets are critical to getting them to work correctly. The Deopfer seems to be exactly what I would need. OTOH the QCD is less than twice as expensive, 4 multipliers and does divisions so I'm leaning in that direction if nothing else jumps out.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You make too much sense.

I've never used one and was thinking in terms of dividers where resets are critical to getting them to work correctly. The Deopfer seems to be exactly what I would need. OTOH the QCD is less than twice as expensive, 4 multipliers and does divisions so I'm leaning in that direction if nothing else jumps out.
You don't need a reset with a multiplier, but keep in mind that a multiplier relies on a steady clock before it can spit out signal, so at the beginning of your wiggle session, you either need to preroll the clock going into it, or you can use CV to set the multiplication to zero while it's getting adjusted to the timing of the clock.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Indulging my current sequencer lust, just snagged one of these:

New, they're cheap, secondhand, they're cheaper than dirt. While it looks like an unusual way to program a sequence, it also looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and easy to use once I get the hang of it. Plus it handles up to 64 steps, so very impressive for melodic and non-melodic sequencing. And as I just learned, if I get sick of using it as a sequencer, there's alternative firmware to turn it into a wavetable LFO, and I never seem to have enough LFO's.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

And just snagged another set of TipTop ears, rails, and another uZeus.

Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

And just messaged my bud about the Logic Boss. I'm still a little skeptical, but then again I was also skeptical about clock dividers, and now I'm in love with them. You cats haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'll trust you on this one as well.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone checking out the new Moog Subsequent 37 CV? It looks like a great controller for 5Us.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

I agree with @Derp and the others about the Morpheus.
285 frickin filters. How much time would I waste going through each of those?

No thanks at all. Ridiculous. Looks great but not for me.
I am really starting to hate menu-divey, multifunction modules...Perhaps Herr Doepfer was onto something...
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
And just messaged my bud about the Logic Boss. I'm still a little skeptical, but then again I was also skeptical about clock dividers, and now I'm in love with them. You cats haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'll trust you on this one as well.
It really is a cool module. Will take some time to get your head around though. Like read through the manual three times kinda stuff. Then read through the manual twice while patching it.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You may want to look into the Chord Organ if you really want chords. It's a pretty great module, and cheap. You can program in the chords, then use CV to change the chords.

Using a DAW to sequence the different oscillators. I thought I remembered you had a MIDI to CV module?
Aha! I never thought of using midi to sequence osc's separately to make chords. I shall try. I have a CVpal and a BSP I could use. The chord organ sounds like a good option but having a look at the DIY instructions on Thonk I had fear just looking at it so I'll wait till a built one pops up. Thanks
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Aha! I never thought of using midi to sequence osc's separately to make chords. I shall try. I have a CVpal and a BSP I could use. The chord organ sounds like a good option but having a look at the DIY instructions on Thonk I had fear just looking at it so I'll wait till a built one pops up. Thanks
It's the same module as the Radio Music - you just have to load the chord organ firmware onto it. So, also keep your eyes peeled for the Radio Music. (the panel won't match, but it's not a complicated panel or functionality)

And just for the record, it's actually a pretty damn simple build. The most difficult thing is the teensy
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

shapeshifter's new chord mode kicks ass (latest firmware)
I'm also looking forward to the E370 chord mode - curious to see how pauls will implement it.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

For chords INSTRUo has some really interesting looking modules coming out.

The Synth Tech E370 should be pretty amazing! I was 'faking" one the other day by playing four E330 modules with a MIDI keyboard through a MI Yarns. First half is all saw Clouds and second half is all Morphing.
Old 19th May 2017
I just updated to the 1.3 Firmware for the Metropolis today and did this quick test. The Ratcheting is awesome and is exactly what I had hoped for! But I couldn't get the Saving feature to work at all for some reason (possibly user error, I'll have to try again to see.)

Old 19th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I just updated to the 1.3 Firmware for the Metropolis today and did this quick test. The Ratcheting is awesome and is exactly what I had hoped for! But I couldn't get the Saving feature to work at all for some reason (possibly user error, I'll have to try again to see.)

Cool vid, I ordered by USB updater thingy yesterday as soon as I heard the update was out, and it should be with me early next week.

Just reading the new manual last night to reaquaint myself with metrop I see the new features are really cool and easy to implement.. it's funny re reading the manual I realise how many things I wasn't using..

deffo looking forward to the ratcheting.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone got a AS RS110? I've seen one and might get it.

Multimode filter
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

The 2HP Turing Machine came in yesterday. Had a blast clocking it with an A-149-2, running it through a Doepfer Quantizer, and into Akemie's Castle which went into Galilean Moons. I don't leave my modular patched very often, but this one is staying until I can make a wiggle with it this weekend. The Turing Machine is freaking amazing!

Also had my first strictly West Coast patching session yesterday going filterless on the DPO. I understood the theory, but never actually tried it until now. I can see why so many people's systems go filterless now. I'm not going to have a sudden exodus of filters now because of the different characters brought in by filter use, but I can see myself using filters a little less with the right oscillators.

Last edited by Derp; 19th May 2017 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Didn't feel it was worth a new post.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone got a AS RS110? I've seen one and might get it.

Multimode filter
I don't have the RS-110 myself, but if this is your first Analogue Systems module, keep in mind that the holes are slightly off from the Eurorack standard, so you're either going to need to mount it in a rack with sliding nuts, or expect half an HP to be empty on either side of it.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone else see this yet?

Eurorack-compatible. It's advertised as semi-modular, but what he really means is there's a digital patch matrix onboard. So, it's self-contained and can't play with the rest of your modular. 499.00€ It's intriguing and sounds interesting, but the lack of patch points is a bit of a turn-off. What do you guys think?
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have the RS-110 myself, but if this is your first Analogue Systems module, keep in mind that the holes are slightly off from the Eurorack standard, so you're either going to need to mount it in a rack with sliding nuts, or expect half an HP to be empty on either side of it.
I have sliding nuts but they're pretty stable I read the RS-100 - a Mininoog copy was better sounding but the RS-110 is more flexible and a different thing. I'm wondering whether it's worth it at a knockdown price or should I get some other more interesting filter - I was interested in the Doepfer A-106-5 SEM and the A-106-6 XP Oberheim Expander filter and how these two compare? I do fancy a nice Oberheim tone.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a1066_xp_filter.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a1...UJrhoCqjzw_wcB
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also had my first strictly West Coast patching session yesterday going filterless on the DPO. I understood the theory, but never actually tried it until now. I can see why so many people's systems go filterless now. I'm not going to have a sudden exodus of filters now because of the different characters brought in by filter use, but I can see myself using filters a little less with the right oscillators.
My filterless Make Noise voice has become the center of my modular. I feel like such a traitor; surely I will be haunted by the ghost of Bob Moog.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

I'm offering a crisp $5 bill for each for every Filter you guys no longer want, because I'm here to help. $10 for each Morpheus since no one likes them.

Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was interested in the Doepfer A-106-5 SEM and the A-106-6 XP Oberheim Expander filter and how these two compare? I do fancy a nice Oberheim tone.
I don't have the A-106-5 (yet) but you can definitely get a nice Oberheim-like sound from the A-106-6 which I do have. You can also get an absolutely dreadful sound. It's a good filter with many possibilities, but it's not the easiest to work with, I should warn you. At least, not for me. The problem is that to get the best sound from each of the various filter modes I find I have to do a lot of tweaking (in particular the input gain setting). In other words, it's fiddly. Still, I think it's worth the effort. It's the primary multimode filter in my system.

As for the A-106-5, I've heard good things about it. I've put off getting one only because I have a standalone SEM and don't really need it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search