The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I figured that by limiting myself to only Doepfer modules, I could avoid falling down the proverbial Rabbit Hole. How mistaken I was. 5x 84HP + 2x Minicase and growing... .
Verrrrry nice! If you're gonna stick with one manufacturer, you picked a pretty awesome one. Doepfer makes a little bit of everything and they're all very quality for the price.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
and by years end I'll be at my dream, the end is in sight!
That's a great joke! You're so funny!
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's a great joke! You're so funny!
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Here's something slutty. The 12 piece eurorack system Jan Willem (Ginko Synthese) is building for Colin Benders.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I've toyed with modular grid layouts moving my "performance" modules to the top row, but that layout just doesn't jell with me. What system do others follow?
That's an area I struggled with for a long time. I went through a big reorganization last year I grouped like modules together, but in a large system, it just didn't make any sense because you end up with insanely long cable runs to get from one side of the case to the other, not to mention having to reorder everything any time you get a new module. I finally ended up tearing it all down and putting it back together in random order. There's no rhyme or reason to this layout, but it does mean that each module has something that will at least kind of work with it nearby if I'm not feeling particular about a patch. I do intend to do a little shuffling soon though as I've only recently started getting into random and clock modules, so they're mostly all crowded in the far left case.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
1: Pressure points, I want to be able to actually play the modular instead of being reliant on sequencing it from my pyramid or the cv out channels from my XA.
Be very certain this is what you want before buying it. It may not work the way you want it to, especially in regards to the pressure aspect of it. This is one of a very few modules I've ever sold.

Quote:
5: ?Oscillator?: I have about $500 remaining in my budget at this point for an osc and I'm leaning towards three options. The first is a Piston Honda since a wavetable osc is something I don't have at all in my hardware synths already. The second option is a getting a Tides and installing Sheeps on it along with pairing it with a Warps to get a pseudo complex osc that I've seen a few demonstrations of and was really impressed by. The final option is to get a Telharmonic and then a Brains to pair with the PP since I plan on getting both anyway.
Piston Honda is awesome, but it's a very angry oscillator and hard to tame, so keep that in mind. Sheeps is very close to the wavetable oscillator in Braids. If you're thinking wavetable, maybe look into an NW1? It doesn't have nearly the number of wavetables as the Piston Honda, but they're all very well rounded, and what's fun is that you can record your own wavetables.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Another sales pitch rant ... I love drum loops, it's just my style. If you're interested in doing drum loops on a modular, get yourself a damn Disting MK4! Clocked sample playback rocks, 'nuff said.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Be very certain this is what you want before buying it. It may not work the way you want it to, especially in regards to the pressure aspect of it. This is one of a very few modules I've ever sold.

Piston Honda is awesome, but it's a very angry oscillator and hard to tame, so keep that in mind. Sheeps is very close to the wavetable oscillator in Braids. If you're thinking wavetable, maybe look into an NW1? It doesn't have nearly the number of wavetables as the Piston Honda, but they're all very well rounded, and what's fun is that you can record your own wavetables.
Listing out all my sequencing options I have already has caused me to rethink getting the PP module in the first batch which frees up $200 for other things.

The NW1 is interesting but since I only have 208hp to play with I'm trying to limit the size of any module I get. I did check out the Grand Terminal last night after it was mentioned here and I'm thinking of getting that instead of the Optomix and PP at this point, although then there might be no reason to get the Double Andore in the first purchase.

e: So now I'm looking at the Grand Terminal, ?Oscillator?, Batumi, Scooper for initial modules.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Damn why do I feel GAS for the Eloquencer and the O|D ER-301? (secret gas for the ER-101/102 combo too)
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a jam I did with the BSP where seq2 is sequencing seq1. Basically I have both v/o's plugged into a Triatt (poor man's unity mixer) and the sum going into a Dixie2 which is doing the arpy melody thing. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this kind of thing with modules. A transposing step sequencer would work but I want some way of changing the speed of a sequence with CV. Any suggestions for modules that provides CV control over clock multiplication? The 4ms QCD seems to do that but it's really more than I need. I already have the A160-2 for divisions. I looked at the Doepfer A-160-5 but no reset?

Some other bits about this patch - I'm sending the tiptop hat and clap modules through an Optomix. It does some really cool things to the transients and each hit comes out a little different without any envelopes other than the vactrols. The bass part is STO into ultrafold with some subtle modulation of the STO shape. This combo is one of my faves for getting dirty bass that isn't the standard square/saw into a LPF. Also Rings into Clouds (sorry Oliver).

Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Cool on the tuner.

Actually your example would be correct across any major chord - if you tune one oscillator at C and another at E, that's a major third, and playing a D will produce an F#, or a G will produce a B on the other oscillator. Tuning a fifth apart (or more technically a perfect fifth) is also an option, and all major and minor chord triads have a perfect fifth. So the tuning of your third - be it major or minor are what makes the chord sound major or minor.

If you tune an oscillator to a major third above another osc, and a third osc to a perfect fifth above, you're going to wind up with always major chords. (same can be said if you tune the second osc to a minor third - you'll always wind up with minor chords)

Most musical keys or scales don't consist of chords that are always major and minor.
* Exactly I play piano a little and guitar is my main instrument so I often compose on those and come up with different minor, major, sus, aug, dim, 7th etc. variations. So I was thinking just having a fixed two note chord isn't what I want. I really just wanted to 'fatten' up the synth as a lead sound but realise it will be a fixed chord, and then use that with a conventional synth for chords underneath. This is what I was really thinking.

Quote:
Having said all that, it would be easiest IMO to use a DAW so you don't have to worry about losing as much "being in tune" as you move up and down the scales - at least given what you look to be attempting.
* What do you mean just using a DAW? For tuning? Does analogue really go out of tune as you go up and down scales? I thought it was pretty stable?
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Very happy at the moment. I've been wanting to build complex sequencers in Bitwig 2 and use the new hardware cv instrument device to get the sequences out to my modular. It's not been working due to my stupidity/ignorance but I have it sorted now. Really quick to set up too, and everything stays in tune.

Old 17th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Why not take piano lessons and still have a modular? Nothing wrong with having a few ways to do things.
Was joking. Thought it was obvious when I followed up by rearranging my whole case in the next post. Modular is my home, all my other gear has dwindled to almost nothing. One bass and amp, one guitar (no amp) and an acoustic drum kit are all that is left besides my "live" keyboard rig (Slim Phat, Virus Snow, octatrack, P6) and a few pedals, everything else has gone down the Euro-hole.

And I actually do take piano lessons, the whole post was bullsh1t I guess. I also give them to my 6-year old daughter along with guitar and drums-she is way more into skateboarding and visual art though.

I know I come across like a Luddite here, but after all these years it's way more fun to pretend I know nothing of theory and instruments but I was in school band in like 4th grade playing snare and trumpet in 7th. I played electric bass for almost 20 years before ever even touching a synth. Theory makes me think and i hate that, I prefer dreaming...
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's an area I struggled with for a long time. I went through a big reorganization last year I grouped like modules together, but in a large system, it just didn't make any sense because you end up with insanely long cable runs to get from one side of the case to the other, not to mention having to reorder everything any time you get a new module. I finally ended up tearing it all down and putting it back together in random order. There's no rhyme or reason to this layout, but it does mean that each module has something that will at least kind of work with it nearby if I'm not feeling particular about a patch. I do intend to do a little shuffling soon though as I've only recently started getting into random and clock modules, so they're mostly all crowded in the far left case.
I've been thinking about this too and I've come to the conclusion I want something close to a fixed architecture while I am still learning. Something simple like a Minimoog. So I have my oscillators with attenutors next door for mixing, my modulation in the middle so can be patched left or right and filters and FX next. And the main mixer close to the middle next to filters. I have yet to reorganise but I think this should cut down on the patching cable mess and need for long cables so much.

This what I have been thinking. No pretty brand grouping but hopefully more effective for my needs. It's really hard to get everything where I'd like it and feel even with this the OMIKRON is now too far away from Maths. Someone should invent a circular rack with modulation in the middle and oscillators and filters etc surrounding.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/449729

Or maybe this. Ahhhhh!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450762
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-eurorack.jpg  
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a (too long) example of Ornament and Crime in Quantermain mode, handling chord harmonics based off a root note, something I mentioned a few posts back. Root note is coming from a Turing Machine and Ornament and Crime is quantizing everything to scale, specifically dorian C. Patch is all generative save the kick pattern on the . A fun exercise in practicing generative stuff for an upcoming Modular Meet-up.

Modules used include ...

Turing Machine
Ornament and Crime
Knight's Gallop
Grids
Ladik M-216
Yarns
Octocontroller
Braids

Evolution
Malekko Mute 4
A-160-1, A-160-2 and A-160-5 clock utilities
Rings
Erica Black Wavetable VCO
Disting MK4
uScale II
WMD S.P.O.
Clouds (Oliverb)
Veils
Erica Black Stereo Mixer
EMW Alias

Manhatten Analog DTM
Doepfer WASP VCF

Arpitecht and Triads
Aperture
Quadra with expander
Erica PICO DSP
Analog Rytm
TC Electronics Flashback
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Buddy of mine has a Logic Boss for sale. I get recommended to buy some logic modules, but I've yet to see the appeal. All I see when I think logic is if you're outputting this gate and this gate, this gate or this gate, or this gate unless this gate is running, then why not program it to do that at the sequencer level? Somebody sell me on logic so I can liberate his poor unloved Logic Boss!
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buddy of mine has a Logic Boss for sale. I get recommended to buy some logic modules, but I've yet to see the appeal. All I see when I think logic is if you're outputting this gate and this gate, this gate or this gate, or this gate unless this gate is running, then why not program it to do that at the sequencer level? Somebody sell me on logic so I can liberate his poor unloved Logic Boss!
Think of the logic modules (in terms of usefulness) as having clock dividers and multipliers. Of course they are two different types of modules with very different functionality. But in terms of usefulness they allow you to create programmed/sequenced events without using sequencer tracks.

For example, with so many sequencer-modules small and big... with many offering different clock divisions per track why would you want a Clock Div/Multiplier module... to have control of events without sequencer or without using sequencer tracks/outputs you can use for other things.

Of course you know... you can create drum patterns just with clock dividers and logic modules... e.g. trigger the cowbell sound only when kick and snare are not playing... or playing the cowbell sound every time the snare is not playing but the hat is playing... and do this automatically without having to use a sequencer track just for the cowbell

Same to trigger this LFO or LPG Vactrol or VCA or Frequency LFO sweep only when these other two sounds are off.. or on or whatever

Of course with the release of more and more sequencer modules, small sequencer modules with only 4 tracks you can add to main sequencer... Euclidean sequencers, simple trigger sequencers... or things like the Eloquencer with 8 tracks (where so far most sequencers had 4)... Varigate 8+....
The more tracks you have on main sequencer and the more sequencing power you can add with smaller sequencer/trigger add on modules the less need you have for both clock dividers and logic modules... Especially when sequencers offer you some amount of memory slots.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Think of the logic modules (in terms of usefulness) as having clock dividers and multipliers. Of course they are two different types of modules with very different functionality. But in terms of usefulness they allow you to create programmed/sequenced events without using sequencer tracks.

For example, with so many sequencer-modules small and big... with many offering different clock divisions per track why would you want a Clock Div/Multiplier module... to have control of events without sequencer or without using sequencer tracks/outputs you can use for other things.

Of course you know... you can create drum patterns just with clock dividers and logic modules... e.g. trigger the cowbell sound only when kick and snare are not playing... or playing the cowbell sound every time the snare is not playing but the hat is playing... and do this automatically without having to use a sequencer track just for the cowbell

Same to trigger this LFO or Vactrol or VCA or Frequency LFO sweep only when these other two sounds are off.. or on or whatever

Of course with the release of more and more sequencer modules, small sequencer modules with only 4 tracks you can add to main sequencer... Euclidean sequencers, simple trigger sequencers... or things like the Eloquencer with 8 tracks (where so far most sequencers had 4)... Varigate 8+....
The more tracks you have on main sequencer and the more sequencing power you can add with smaller sequencer/trigger add on modules the less need you have for both clock dividers and logic modules... Especially when sequencers offer you some amount of memory slots.
Nice breakdown there. I'm starting to see the usefulness of them. So let me ask you this: If you had a virtually unlimited amount of trigger/gate sequencers, would you still want some logic modules to go with them, or would you switch to just triggers?
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice breakdown there. I'm starting to see the usefulness of them. So let me ask you this: If you had a virtually unlimited amount of trigger/gate sequencers, would you still want some logic modules to go with them, or would you switch to just triggers?
Mmm... thing is in the end logic modules are going to give you outputs signals to trigger stuff, it can be seen as just another type of trigger module. You can get triggers from a sequencer, from a random generator, from an Euclidean generator and from a logic module.

It comes down to the flexibility and user interface of each specific module.
For example, I looked at the Logic Boss last year and if I remember well the Logic Boss is an interesting logic module, it takes any signal you want to send to it, audio frequency signals, LFOs, gates... and it has 12 outputs (or 2 x 6 outputs). 4 inputs.

If I needed more triggering power in a small rack where maybe I had a main sequencer and no space for another big sequencer then clock dividers and logic modules would be very useful and a good choice for empowering yourself with more 'controlled' triggers for less HPs than another sequencer would take. The logic boss gives you 12 outputs in 10HPs. So it gives you ammo for pattern generation, Link A/B can change things a bit on the fly for some variation...

Or at the slim end of the HP market the Pico Logic gives you 2 individual outs (each from 2 inputs) in 3HP (but with button pressing selection)

In a bigger rig with plenty of sequencers and trigger/gates modules then it comes down to your way of working/thinking.
I understand logic (not hard for anyone that looks into it), it is straight forward for me (from previous knowledge of digital logic which is the same thing). So triggering with a trigger sequencer or clock divider or logic module is the same.
But the logic module gives you a different workflow, some sort of logically controlled randomness if you just try things out to see what happens... So it adds variety.

But in the case where you can do just the same with any trigger sequencer and if that sequencer has memory slots I would prefer the memory slots over dividers and logic modules. If you don't care about recall than it should be totally down to how easy a specific logic module feels to use.

Possibly a well laid out logic module (not sure which one) with enough outs can help you create interesting patterns or precise triggering of LFOs/Etc... quicker than a menu based trigger sequencer where the layers of menu-diving would slow you down.

But I think that in general Logic modules are now less popular than they used to be. I guess most people find it easier to go for straight forward sequencers especially where maybe the sequencer gives you additional features like bursts, quantized steps, direct control of gate length... etc...

I think logic modules did not evolve enough. I don't see logic modules with additional control/manipulation of outputs signals (slur, gate length, offset...) so I guess logic modules are being left behind by small-feature packed sequencers of similar HPs and maybe that's why your friend is selling it
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Here's something slutty. The 12 piece eurorack system Jan Willem (Ginko Synthese) is building for Colin Benders.
That's gonna be awesome!
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For you, I'd say at least get one logic box ... Simplifying the previous explanation, say you had a patch with two kicks, a main 909 and an accent 808 with Grids and a Euclidean triggering them. You wouldn't want them to fire at the same time, thus a logic module.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
* Exactly I play piano a little and guitar is my main instrument so I often compose on those and come up with different minor, major, sus, aug, dim, 7th etc. variations. So I was thinking just having a fixed two note chord isn't what I want. I really just wanted to 'fatten' up the synth as a lead sound but realise it will be a fixed chord, and then use that with a conventional synth for chords underneath. This is what I was really thinking.

* What do you mean just using a DAW? For tuning? Does analogue really go out of tune as you go up and down scales? I thought it was pretty stable?
You may want to look into the Chord Organ if you really want chords. It's a pretty great module, and cheap. You can program in the chords, then use CV to change the chords.

Using a DAW to sequence the different oscillators. I thought I remembered you had a MIDI to CV module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Was joking. Thought it was obvious when I followed up by rearranging my whole case in the next post. Modular is my home, all my other gear has dwindled to almost nothing. One bass and amp, one guitar (no amp) and an acoustic drum kit are all that is left besides my "live" keyboard rig (Slim Phat, Virus Snow, octatrack, P6) and a few pedals, everything else has gone down the Euro-hole.

And I actually do take piano lessons, the whole post was bullsh1t I guess. I also give them to my 6-year old daughter along with guitar and drums-she is way more into skateboarding and visual art though.

I know I come across like a Luddite here, but after all these years it's way more fun to pretend I know nothing of theory and instruments but I was in school band in like 4th grade playing snare and trumpet in 7th. I played electric bass for almost 20 years before ever even touching a synth. Theory makes me think and i hate that, I prefer dreaming...
As sarcastic as I am when not typing BS on the interwebs, I'm not a very good sarcasm detector.

Quote:
I love the logic boss - it's a really cool module. There are a couple downsides to it though: one the jacks can be flippin impossible to get a cable into. It's the only module I've had that frustrates me in this regard. I can get a nice sequence going with the logic, then it just stops - and it's because the cable isn't in properly.

Secondly, it's a pretty advanced logic module - probably not the best for someone that's still getting the hang of logic. Some of the outputs are really complex and require inputs from the upper section. The nice thing in this regard is the lights blink to tell you what would be output.

You might be better off just starting with something like a multi X-or, and maybe anther that does an and or two and a couple or's as well as a not.

Quote:
Take your virtually unlimited amount of trigger/gate sequencers and put two or three of them into a logic module to get some patterns you wouldn't be able to think of by using merely trigger/gate sequencers. Then throw a couple of the outputs into a switch.
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I sold my Morpheus filter, found it too gimmicky and everything sounded the same through it..
OH MY GOD THIS IS SUCH HERESY!!!

...that I'm inclined to agree with. For the most part, everything I pump through it sounds like it came from an E-Mu synth, but not in a good way. I think the variation of the Z-Planes in the Orbit and ESI-4000 were a little more well rounded. 280 filters on this thing, and for the most part, they don't sound drastically different from one another. Now in fairness, that assessment is mostly in regards to pumping a sawtooth through it. I did find that when you put something a lot more varied like the NW1 through it, you can hear more subtle differences between everything. There's even more audible differences if instead of some audio, you ping it with an envelope or LFO. Really comes into its own, then. I think its best use that I'm finding is if you put like either drum sequences or a 'completed' synth patch through it. It becomes more like a garnish as a final effect, I'm finding. But yeah, this thing definitely doesn't sound that amazing when running static waveforms through it. All in all though, it doesn't leave me thinking "Oh wow, this was definitely worth five hundred smackers!" Glad I got it secondhand.

I do gotta admit though, that screen is freaking gorgeous to look at.

Old 18th May 2017
Quote:

...that I'm inclined to agree with. For the most part, everything I pump through it sounds like it came from an E-Mu synth, but not in a good way. I think the variation of the Z-Planes in the Orbit and ESI-4000 were a little more well rounded. 280 filters on this thing, and for the most part, they don't sound drastically different from one another. Now in fairness, that assessment is mostly in regards to pumping a sawtooth through it. I did find that when you put something a lot more varied like the NW1 through it, you can hear more subtle differences between everything. There's even more audible differences if instead of some audio, you ping it with an envelope or LFO. Really comes into its own, then. I think its best use that I'm finding is if you put like either drum sequences or a 'completed' synth patch through it. It becomes more like a garnish as a final effect, I'm finding. But yeah, this thing definitely doesn't sound that amazing when running static waveforms through it. All in all though, it doesn't leave me thinking "Oh wow, this was definitely worth five hundred smackers!" Glad I got it secondhand.

I do gotta admit though, that screen is freaking gorgeous to look at.

Demos just didn't work for me. It's an Edsel at best a Homer at worst, either way, WAY too expensive for what it is. Just IMO, no need for anyone gassing after it to challenge me to a duel. Just not my thing.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head
I'm new to the world of modular, but I've come into it an unusual way and fun way.

I'm lucky enough to live in the same state in Australia as Andrew who builds and sells the Nonlinearcircuits modules. Once a month Andrew and a friend of his run DIY workshops to build a module. It's great fun as not only do you get to meet fellow wigglers, the modules are cheaper as you're putting them together yourself. They range between $AUD50-70 per module.

If you happen to live in Western Australia and you're interested the next build night is on next Monday.

https://tinyurl.com/mz2do4c
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm70 View Post
I'm new to the world of modular, but I've come into it an unusual way and fun way.

I'm lucky enough to live in the same state in Australia as Andrew who builds and sells the Nonlinearcircuits modules. Once a month Andrew and a friend of his run DIY workshops to build a module. It's great fun as not only do you get to meet fellow wigglers, the modules are cheaper as you're putting them together yourself. They range between $AUD50-70 per module.

If you happen to live in Western Australia and you're interested the next build night is on next Monday.

https://tinyurl.com/mz2do4c
You're a lucky dude. Andrew's awesome! And learning how to put modules together from him would have been way more interesting than my freaking out over printouts of how to do it.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head
I'd never have attempted it without his help as I hadn't touched a soldering iron in my entire life up until starting the workshops.

He's very good with his time. The workshops start at 7pm and I know he's been there until well past 11pm some nights trying to help beginners like me figure out why our modules aren't doing what's expected.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Guru

very cool..!!!
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Guru

Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

...that I'm inclined to agree with. For the most part, everything I pump through it sounds like it came from an E-Mu synth, but not in a good way. I think the variation of the Z-Planes in the Orbit and ESI-4000 were a little more well rounded....
Good to know. Price tag was a little much for me and if it isn't all that and a bag of chips I'll probably skip it. I had already decided to put off any thought of it until the WMD Overseer is out. That may be all the stereo filtering I need.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search