The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th May 2017
  #3631
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Very good point there. This has sent me on another line of thinking as well...



Very cool recommendation there. How do you get along with it compared to other sequencers?
orgetting that exists, especially as a Bastl fanboi.
The Voltage Block is a very functional sequencer, and doesn't have to be merely for pitch. While there's some button combos, they're far more intuitive and unobtrusive than I first thought they may be.

I love the Stepper Acid. It's really my only main melodic sequencer other than random-ish stuff. I love the intuitive-ness of it, particularly in comparison to things such as Sequencer 1, and the ability to play it "live" and change things up is great as well. It's a lot of space for a single melodic line, but hella fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Perhaps defective user!
I'll admit I thought that could be the case too, but didn't want to presume. Sometimes, with so many of these modules these days it's easy to "use them wrong" without knowing it.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out - just keep the changes small, and you should avoid those huge jumps. It's easier to do when modifying steps individually rather than modifying them live.
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3632
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I figured that by limiting myself to only Doepfer modules, I could avoid falling down the proverbial Rabbit Hole. How mistaken I was. 5x 84HP + 2x Minicase and growing... .
Looks like a truly wonderful system to play on. And I really love how they are all the same too. It pleases my OCD.

As a facilitator of GAS in general, I feel obligated to inform you of this-

This thing has been on sale for at least 6 months if not a year (it's on Craigs-list in Seattle, not mine I just am always looking). I bet you could talk them down...you know you want it.
3
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3633
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You know there's a tuner VST in Live now, right? Maybe it's just an Enterprise VST, or is it for all versions?

When I'm modifying live, I tend to keep the changes at one end of the fader or the other. That's really the only way I know of to "limit" to an octave or two.

Oftentimes though, when not doing live changes, I'll hold down the button for the step, then adjust the slider to get the note I'm looking for.

Are you saying the scales don't do anything at all? Some scales will have minimal changes, and those will be depending on what notes you've chosen for that channel. I've not experienced changing scales doing nothing.

Perhaps a defective unit?
Aha! You are right. I found Tuner under Audio Effects in Live so now I have 3 tuners Scales in Live are just for midi no? They don't quantise audio?

Actually this leads me to my next question from what I asked before. Detuning oscillators by intervals say a third from C to E, or a fifth C to G is easy, tune the first oscillator then the second. So this would be correct across C major and it's a two note chord. Using a third detuned oscillator as well you could create a 3 note chord.

This is simple enough but wondering what role a quantiser for audio could play in this (I have a Penrose). Does it quantise any CV/audio that is off key? And is it good practice to run through a quanitiser just to keep things in tune for analogue?
Old 17th May 2017
  #3634
Lives for gear
Looking to finally take the plunge into modular after selling a fair bit of gear and would like your opinions on the initial modules I'm looking to pick up.

I'll be getting a mantis and then have about $1400 for modules and am looking at the following.

1: Pressure points, I want to be able to actually play the modular instead of being reliant on sequencing it from my pyramid or the cv out channels from my XA.

2: Double Andore, I've seen nothing but amazing things with it even when used with only a few other modules, and all the cross modulation options are there for when I start to fill out my system more. Plus you can never have too many VCA's.

3: Optomix, a LPG is more appealing to me than a VCF for sound sculpting and for LPG it's always highly recommended.

4: Scooper, I already have this but I'm throwing it on the list since it will be in the initial system. It's 59mm depth should be able to fit the lower row on the mantis which can take 61mm, but with all the virtual module options it gives me I figure it would be a suitable stopgap to cover anything I won't be able to buy starting out.

5: ?Oscillator?: I have about $500 remaining in my budget at this point for an osc and I'm leaning towards three options. The first is a Piston Honda since a wavetable osc is something I don't have at all in my hardware synths already. The second option is a getting a Tides and installing Sheeps on it along with pairing it with a Warps to get a pseudo complex osc that I've seen a few demonstrations of and was really impressed by. The final option is to get a Telharmonic and then a Brains to pair with the PP since I plan on getting both anyway.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
Looking to finally take the plunge into modular after selling a fair bit of gear and would like your opinions on the initial modules I'm looking to pick up.

I'll be getting a mantis and then have about $1400 for modules and am looking at the following.

1: Pressure points, I want to be able to actually play the modular instead of being reliant on sequencing it from my pyramid or the cv out channels from my XA.

2: Double Andore, I've seen nothing but amazing things with it even when used with only a few other modules, and all the cross modulation options are there for when I start to fill out my system more. Plus you can never have too many VCA's.

3: Optomix, a LPG is more appealing to me than a VCF for sound sculpting and for LPG it's always highly recommended.

4: Scooper, I already have this but I'm throwing it on the list since it will be in the initial system. It's 59mm depth should be able to fit the lower row on the mantis which can take 61mm, but with all the virtual module options it gives me I figure it would be a suitable stopgap to cover anything I won't be able to buy starting out.

5: ?Oscillator?: I have about $500 remaining in my budget at this point for an osc and I'm leaning towards three options. The first is a Piston Honda since a wavetable osc is something I don't have at all in my hardware synths already. The second option is a getting a Tides and installing Sheeps on it along with pairing it with a Warps to get a pseudo complex osc that I've seen a few demonstrations of and was really impressed by. The final option is to get a Telharmonic and then a Brains to pair with the PP since I plan on getting both anyway.
Any small system like this would benefit from Maths. Resistance is common, but futile.

Envelopes, mults, random voltage sources, and even more VCA's. That's what I'd look at. WMD ADSRVCA Looks great for the size and price, I plan on buying 2 next trip to Control Voltage. Great selections though.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3636
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

I'll admit I thought that could be the case too, but didn't want to presume. Sometimes, with so many of these modules these days it's easy to "use them wrong" without knowing it.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out - just keep the changes small, and you should avoid those huge jumps. It's easier to do when modifying steps individually rather than modifying them live.
I actually think my Audio Damage sequencer 1 is excellent for live use. Dedicated buttons for shifting the patterns up and down by octave. The 1, 4,and 8 Step repeats are great live tools too. And by going into the sequencer page you can change step length and all kinds of directional control on the fly too.

And yes I do hold the step down on the Voltage block to enter values.... Still rather poor unmusical results! Once again... Lack of skill and User error the most likely suspect.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3637
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Aha! You are right. I found Tuner under Audio Effects in Live so now I have 3 tuners Scales in Live are just for midi no? They don't quantise audio?

Actually this leads me to my next question from what I asked before. Detuning oscillators by intervals say a third from C to E, or a fifth C to G is easy, tune the first oscillator then the second. So this would be correct across C major and it's a two note chord. Using a third detuned oscillator as well you could create a 3 note chord.

This is simple enough but wondering what role a quantiser for audio could play in this (I have a Penrose). Does it quantise any CV/audio that is off key? And is it good practice to run through a quanitiser just to keep things in tune for analogue?
If you want anything more than C major, pretty much. When I re-pitch something with a Precision Adder, I'll usually run it through a quantizer to ensure it's in key within the current scale or mode. I'm usually doing something a little more complex though like transposing a bassline or melody sequence.

Warning, here comes the pitch For just chords, Ornament and Crime can do this without even having to detune an OSC, I think it's limited to +/- 7 steps.
What I think you want is something more like a chord module when you play a root in and get CV for all the additional harmonics, also something Ornament and Crime can do really well. Plus you can start doing fun stuff like changing inversions or drops on the fly, etc ...
Old 17th May 2017
  #3638
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
Looking to finally take the plunge into modular after selling a fair bit of gear and would like your opinions on the initial modules I'm looking to pick up.

I'll be getting a mantis and then have about $1400 for modules and am looking at the following.

1: Pressure points, I want to be able to actually play the modular instead of being reliant on sequencing it from my pyramid or the cv out channels from my XA.

2: Double Andore, I've seen nothing but amazing things with it even when used with only a few other modules, and all the cross modulation options are there for when I start to fill out my system more. Plus you can never have too many VCA's.

3: Optomix, a LPG is more appealing to me than a VCF for sound sculpting and for LPG it's always highly recommended.

4: Scooper, I already have this but I'm throwing it on the list since it will be in the initial system. It's 59mm depth should be able to fit the lower row on the mantis which can take 61mm, but with all the virtual module options it gives me I figure it would be a suitable stopgap to cover anything I won't be able to buy starting out.

5: ?Oscillator?: I have about $500 remaining in my budget at this point for an osc and I'm leaning towards three options. The first is a Piston Honda since a wavetable osc is something I don't have at all in my hardware synths already. The second option is a getting a Tides and installing Sheeps on it along with pairing it with a Warps to get a pseudo complex osc that I've seen a few demonstrations of and was really impressed by. The final option is to get a Telharmonic and then a Brains to pair with the PP since I plan on getting both anyway.
I'd look at Braids for a first VCO. It's got a ton of variety for a starter system, but it's also capable enough that you'll always probably have a place for it once you have a system Derp's size.

Also, if you want to "play" your modular a Keystep or Beat Step Pro are a lot cheaper and much more musical. And again, the Beat Step Pro packs a lot of function that remains useful as you grow your system.
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3639
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Any small system like this would benefit from Maths. Resistance is common, but futile.

Envelopes, mults, random voltage sources, and even more VCA's. That's what I'd look at. WMD ADSRVCA Looks great for the size and price, I plan on buying 2 next trip to Control Voltage. Great selections though.
I was actually looking towards the Quadra + Expander since I want to go more towards a west coast style system, but a Maths/Batumi is on the short list of modules I'll be adding past my initial purchase.

For mults I know I'll need them, but for now I was going to pick up some more stacking cables since I've already come to love using them when sequencing my MS-20mini from my Pyramid and SQ-1 (which I forgot that I also had in my post)
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
I was actually looking towards the Quadra + Expander since I want to go more towards a west coast style system, but a Maths/Batumi is on the short list of modules I'll be adding past my initial purchase.

For mults I know I'll need them, but for now I was going to pick up some more stacking cables since I've already come to love using them when sequencing my MS-20mini from my Pyramid and SQ-1 (which I forgot that I also had in my post)
I have the un-expanded Quadra and it's fantastic, solid envelope for anything IMO. The expander looks great too, my plan might not have room for it though, at least not in this phase...It's a real dilemma: To expand the Quadra (12hp) or the Grand Terminal (10hp) and keep Qu-Bit EON (2hp) which almost never gets used for anything but a free-running LFO. I'm pretty committed to the GT/Expander idea, Endorphin.es are just lovely to look at and touch, let alone the sound. I'm dying for more stuff by them. The GT has a filter which would give me 4, I could ditch one of those and expand the Quadra maybe...
The plan-

Link to rack-
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/442794


Mults come in a few forms, I use these for clocks, trigs, gates, and non-precise CV with (seemingly)great success-
https://www.amazon.com/Sannysis-Head.../dp/B01AJNYX14

0 HP And they are dirt cheap. Combining voltages produces unpredictable and sometimes cool results, but they are especially great for sending a single gate to an envelope, LFO, or logic all at once.You'll want at least one buffered mult for v/octave splits or precise CV though, I'm getting the one you see in the rack because I would rather have one large mult than a bunch of little ones. I don't use stackables. I have a couple but my rack is vertical so they sag even with just 2 in and I can't deal with the thought of accidentally breaking one off because it's sticking out either...I have issues.
3
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3641
Gear Maniac
 
Stolle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I figured that by limiting myself to only Doepfer modules, I could avoid falling down the proverbial Rabbit Hole. How mistaken I was. 5x 84HP + 2x Minicase and growing... .
Nice! There's something very appealing about a all Doepfer system. It looks so cohesive.
2
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3642
Fvck modular, I'm getting piano lessons.

2
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3643
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I finally was able to have an Ornament & Crime module built for me... here is my first test with it sequencing (in Turing Machine mode) the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO module. Towards the end of the video the Morphagene makes an appearance.

O&C is a fantastic module. get a second O&C - everyone can use two.
and sequencing random waveforms from the erica wavetable is such easy fun, I get lost in that all the time.

I ordered myself a Pamela's New Workout, I'm looking forward to the euclidian modes and more sync'ed LFOs.
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3644
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Fvck modular, I'm getting piano lessons.

you've got a really swell voice. sing it again chording arps on the promars.

wrong thread for this, but speaking of the promars, I'm gasing pretty hard for jupiter 4. when I'm done my modular, that's next! lol.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3645
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
you've got a really swell voice. sing it again chording arps on the promars.

wrong thread for this, but speaking of the promars, I'm gasing pretty hard for jupiter 4. when I'm done my modular, that's next! lol.
That's not me singing, it's our beloved slut @maisonvague.
Sh1t this good makes me want to quit playing music altogether and just be a fan. Enjoying well-done music (yeah even a goddamn Pink Floyd cover-this one proves it can still be done with taste and class) is just so much easier than making it...

Compared to him my voice sounds like Tom Waits getting raped by a robot elephant.

Done with modular, as if that happens. After posting that video I sat around rearranging my case for a more "live" approach on MG-


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431

I'll never quit anyway, it's too much fun torturing my wife, kids, and pets with bleeps and bloops.
4
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3646
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
Looking to finally take the plunge into modular after selling a fair bit of gear and would like your opinions on the initial modules I'm looking to pick up.

I'll be getting a mantis and then have about $1400 for modules and am looking at the following.

1: Pressure points, I want to be able to actually play the modular instead of being reliant on sequencing it from my pyramid or the cv out channels from my XA.

2: Double Andore, I've seen nothing but amazing things with it even when used with only a few other modules, and all the cross modulation options are there for when I start to fill out my system more. Plus you can never have too many VCA's.

3: Optomix, a LPG is more appealing to me than a VCF for sound sculpting and for LPG it's always highly recommended.

4: Scooper, I already have this but I'm throwing it on the list since it will be in the initial system. It's 59mm depth should be able to fit the lower row on the mantis which can take 61mm, but with all the virtual module options it gives me I figure it would be a suitable stopgap to cover anything I won't be able to buy starting out.

5: ?Oscillator?: I have about $500 remaining in my budget at this point for an osc and I'm leaning towards three options. The first is a Piston Honda since a wavetable osc is something I don't have at all in my hardware synths already. The second option is a getting a Tides and installing Sheeps on it along with pairing it with a Warps to get a pseudo complex osc that I've seen a few demonstrations of and was really impressed by. The final option is to get a Telharmonic and then a Brains to pair with the PP since I plan on getting both anyway.
May want to drill a hole in the back of the mantis and power the Scooper separately - those Roland modules are REALLY powerful when you get into the customizer app - but they're absolute power pigs (about 500mA each).
3
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3647
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
That's not me singing, it's our beloved slut @maisonvague.
Sh1t this good makes me want to quit playing music altogether and just be a fan. Enjoying well-done music (yeah even a goddamn Pink Floyd cover-this one proves it can still be done with taste and class) is just so much easier than making it...

Compared to him my voice sounds like Tom Waits getting raped by a robot elephant.

Done with modular, as if that happens. After posting that video I sat around rearranging my case for a more "live" approach on MG-


https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/450431

I'll never quit anyway, it's too much fun torturing my wife, kids, and pets with bleeps and bloops.
Speaking of OCD, it's other people's racks ... Go for the Grand Terminal BTW.

Looking at other people's modular grid stuff, like Slaughter's I can't figure out what's going on. I like to try and stick to clock, VCO, modulation, filter, effects, VCA, then miers on my stuff. I've had to make a few exceptions with the PSU3 heat sinks in my MDLR case but I think I have rhyme or reason. My 6u is mostly gate sequencers designed around shortest patch path for most used modules with that rack placed on the left. I've toyed with modular grid layouts moving my "performance" modules to the top row, but that layout just doesn't jell with me. What system do others follow?
Old 17th May 2017
  #3648
Lives for gear
 

I love seeing other people's setups and seeing the cost estimate in the few to several thousand dollar range, it makes me feel less crazy when looking at my MG.
2
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Speaking of OCD, it's other people's racks ... Go for the Grand Terminal BTW.

Looking at other people's modular grid stuff, like Slaughter's I can't figure out what's going on. I like to try and stick to clock, VCO, modulation, filter, effects, VCA, then miers on my stuff. I've had to make a few exceptions with the PSU3 heat sinks in my MDLR case but I think I have rhyme or reason. My 6u is mostly gate sequencers designed around shortest patch path for most used modules with that rack placed on the left. I've toyed with modular grid layouts moving my "performance" modules to the top row, but that layout just doesn't jell with me. What system do others follow?
Sequencing, clocks, and drum modules on the top row. Voices, effects, and filters in the middle row. Modulation, envelopes, mixing, and output on the bottom. Effects and filters are closer to the mixer because they would be the last step in the audio path and/or auxiliaries. FLXS-1 is close to the middle for ergonomic purposes, I'd be playing with that one a lot.

Oh- the Grand Terminal was never ever in question, I will own it. The brief thought in passing was not to expand it over expanding the Quadra, but I'm gonna expand the Grand Terminal for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I love seeing other people's setups and seeing the cost estimate in the few to several thousand dollar range, it makes me feel less crazy when looking at my MG.
Just crossed the 10k line with this latest plan. Ridiculous but not really when I used to have 25-30k wrapped up in gear and now the modular is most of my stuff.
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3650
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Speaking of OCD, it's other people's racks ... Go for the Grand Terminal BTW.

Looking at other people's modular grid stuff, like Slaughter's I can't figure out what's going on. I like to try and stick to clock, VCO, modulation, filter, effects, VCA, then miers on my stuff. I've had to make a few exceptions with the PSU3 heat sinks in my MDLR case but I think I have rhyme or reason. My 6u is mostly gate sequencers designed around shortest patch path for most used modules with that rack placed on the left. I've toyed with modular grid layouts moving my "performance" modules to the top row, but that layout just doesn't jell with me. What system do others follow?
I'm in the same boat right now. i'm putting modulators in the middle, and populating around that. set and forget modules go to the outsides. Right now I've got all my filters in the same area, but I could probably spread those around, and my top row is a mess of stuff that's very new and stuff that's on the chopping block

current


and by years end I'll be at my dream, the end is in sight!

not too many pieces missing but pretty decided
still on the fence on the morphagene... but i'll easily get a dozen tracks out of it, so I might as well.

@slaughtrhaus, I see you've got a tiptop One.. If you were to have a 5min recording of a chord recorded as the sample, when you play it back and modulate the pitch , say using an ~0.5hz sine LFO to modulate the pitch +- 1 semitone - how does that sound? how smooth is it? do you hear any stepping?
Old 17th May 2017
  #3651
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
May want to drill a hole in the back of the mantis and power the Scooper separately - those Roland modules are REALLY powerful when you get into the customizer app - but they're absolute power pigs (about 500mA each).
Having the Scooper for the last several months and messing around with the customizer is actually one of the major reasons why I'm doing a modular system now. And I was already planning on drilling a hole in the mantis since it's currently plugged into one of the USB ports on my MX-1.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3652
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Looks like a truly wonderful system to play on. And I really love how they are all the same too. It pleases my OCD.
Mine, too! And yes, it's inspiring to play. Still, there's a lot to learn...

Quote:
As a facilitator of GAS in general, I feel obligated to inform you of this ...you know you want it.
Indeed I do--which is why I bought one. (See close-up of upper minicase below)

Quote:
Sh1t this good makes me want to quit playing music altogether and just be a fan.
Thanks, man! While I was making the Bach Allemande on the Prophet-10 video (also on my channel) I remember thinking "This is the most beautiful electronic music I've ever heard. How could I ever hope to create something as beautiful?" Then it occurred to me: I didn't need to. I could just enjoy Bach's music -- be a fan. It was a great feeling!

Quote:
I'll never quit anyway, it's too much fun torturing my wife, kids, and pets with bleeps and bloops.
Yeah! That's the spirit!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-screen-shot-2017-05-17-7.48.15-am.jpg  
4
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3653
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Indeed I do--which is why I bought one. (See close-up of upper minicase below)
Doh- my eyes are terrible. So cool that it lives in it's own case.
Old 17th May 2017
  #3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
@slaughtrhaus, I see you've got a tiptop One.. If you were to have a 5min recording of a chord recorded as the sample, when you play it back and modulate the pitch , say using an ~0.5hz sine LFO to modulate the pitch +- 1 semitone - how does that sound? how smooth is it? do you hear any stepping?
That case full of wonderful I keep showing off is my plan, not my existing rig. I have maybe half of it and need to sell stuff to buy the other half now, including the "One", sorry.

If I get it anytime relevant I will test this for you though. Thimking of doing another big "buy" soon. the dilemma is always this-spend the chunk of money one one of the big shiny expensive modules or like 3 or 4 smaller ones. I always stick to the plan as far as what I am buying, but soon I will have a case with like 10 huge modules in it and NOT ENOUGH FVCKIN VCA's (or envelopes) to do anything with them. It always happens that way for me. The sampler falls in the category of "I know I am getting it someday"...
Old 17th May 2017
  #3655
Here's something slutty. The 12 piece eurorack system Jan Willem (Ginko Synthese) is building for Colin Benders.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-18451399_10155329304278844_9115719000017310809_o.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-18489587_10155329304273844_6459048356899316276_o.jpg  
8
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3656
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Aha! You are right. I found Tuner under Audio Effects in Live so now I have 3 tuners Scales in Live are just for midi no? They don't quantise audio?

Actually this leads me to my next question from what I asked before. Detuning oscillators by intervals say a third from C to E, or a fifth C to G is easy, tune the first oscillator then the second. So this would be correct across C major and it's a two note chord. Using a third detuned oscillator as well you could create a 3 note chord.

This is simple enough but wondering what role a quantiser for audio could play in this (I have a Penrose). Does it quantise any CV/audio that is off key? And is it good practice to run through a quanitiser just to keep things in tune for analogue?
Cool on the tuner.

Actually your example would be correct across any major chord - if you tune one oscillator at C and another at E, that's a major third, and playing a D will produce an F#, or a G will produce a B on the other oscillator. Tuning a fifth apart (or more technically a perfect fifth) is also an option, and all major and minor chord triads have a perfect fifth. So the tuning of your third - be it major or minor are what makes the chord sound major or minor.

If you tune an oscillator to a major third above another osc, and a third osc to a perfect fifth above, you're going to wind up with always major chords. (same can be said if you tune the second osc to a minor third - you'll always wind up with minor chords) Most musical keys or scales don't consist of chords that are always major and minor. In fact, the interesting thing about chord progressions is the switch between the 2. Take the key of C Major - the C chord in that key is C Major, but the D, E and A chords are all minor chords. The B is diminished. Your example would possibly be playing a D Major, E Major and A Major chord along with a B Major chord, depending on the note you input into the first oscillator. Again, that may be what you're looking for - or it may not. And also keep in mind that your oscillators may not keep their tuning at that major third and perfect fifth as you go up or down in pitch.

Regarding a quantizer...everything has a pitch and in modular, that pitch is defined by the control voltage for the pitch - which gets translated to a pitch either 1V/Oct (most typical) or Hz/V. A quantizer simply takes the control voltage and maps the value to a voltage that maps directly to a frequency that's in a musical key. So, if you're looking for chord type sounds, quantize the CV into the first oscillator. Whether it's good practice depends on the music you want to make. Some make much more random things. Sounds like you're more along the lines of standard musicality, in which case, yes - I'd run the original oscillator's pitch through a quantizer.

Having said all that, it would be easiest IMO to use a DAW so you don't have to worry about losing as much "being in tune" as you move up and down the scales - at least given what you look to be attempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I actually think my Audio Damage sequencer 1 is excellent for live use. Dedicated buttons for shifting the patterns up and down by octave. The 1, 4,and 8 Step repeats are great live tools too. And by going into the sequencer page you can change step length and all kinds of directional control on the fly too.
Yeah, I looked at Seq 1 hard, but in the end chose Acid Stepper because I've really become a non-fan of menu-divey, multiple button press modules.

Maybe if it was as easy as the Voltage Block - even with its button press combos, which are easy as hell and intuitive - at least to me. And maybe it is that easy, I just didn't want to risk the cost to find out it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Fvck modular, I'm getting piano lessons.
Why not take piano lessons and still have a modular? Nothing wrong with having a few ways to do things.
2
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3657
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
New Metropolis firmware ...

Quote:
The new firmware and manual are now ready for download! We are calling it version 1.30. You can download the new firmware from https://intellijel.com/firmware-updates/ and the new manual is available at https://intellijel.com/downloads/man...anual_1.30.pdf

New features include:

- Improvements to clocking and overall timing / performance
- The AUX inputs can now track 1V per octave in P.Pre, P.PoST, and RooT modes. Config menu option added to calibrate them.
- New aux destinations P.PreL P.PoSL and RooTL which work like the old ones used pre-1.30.
- Ratcheting enabled by hold holding a stage button and turning the encoder.
- TunE option in the CONFIG menu for assisting with tuning oscillators.
- bSLId / bSKIP option in the CONFIG menu to toggle the default behaviour of the stage buttons between slide and skip.
- rsT option in the CONFIG menu now has rST_r, “run” mode. In this mode the RESET input functions as a RUN input which is a gate input complimentary to the RUN output of the µMIDI. When the gate is high the sequencer runs. When the gate is low, it stops and resets.
- Shortcut keys: Hold MODE, STAGES, STEP/DIV, SCALE, SWING or DIV and then press one of the stage buttons to quickly access commonly-used values.
- Improved DINSync support.
- Pattern saving, with 8 slots. Hold the SAVE button and click one of the stage buttons to save the current pattern. Hold The LOAD button and click one of the stage buttons to load a previously-saved pattern.
- 8 slots for global settings. In the SAVE and LOAD menus you can use the encoder to select a slot from 1-8 before clicking it to load and save the global settings.

We'll have a video out later this week that will demonstrate some of the new features.

Much thanks to all the beta testers who helped get this out smile
Wow, the 1v/o thing is a HUGE deal ... Being able to transpose without tying up a Disting as a Precision Adder or having to use a quantizer.
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3658
The Synth Library in Portland USA
Quote:
S1 is a nonprofit artist-run center for contemporary art in Portland, Oregon. We strive to provide engaging, relevant, and critical visual art, performance and education programming in ways that are accessible to a diverse population of artists and viewers in and outside the city.
website: S1
and a nice interview with co-founder Alissa DeRubeis: https://cashmereradio.com/episode/ca...issa-derubeis/

Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-synthweb1-e1457487920718.jpg  
2
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
The Synth Library in Portland USA

website: S1
and a nice interview with co-founder Alissa DeRubeis: https://cashmereradio.com/episode/ca...issa-derubeis/
......
Cool. Never heard of them. I'll have to check out an event sometime...nothing coming up right now...
1
Share
Old 17th May 2017
  #3660
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
D) In the URA vs. Wogglebug universe it seems like (this is a huge generalization) the Wogglebug tends to obscure what's going on 'under the hood' more than the URA. So people who like the "turn knobs, don't even look" style of wiggling seem to prefer the Wogglebug and people with more precise ideas they're trying to patch up seem to prefer the URA; that's a huge overgeneralization, obviously, but I think it's more or less fair.
URA owner here with no Wogglebug, but I think you've summarized it pretty well. URA is super powerful, but it's not the kind of module you can just plug into and start turning knobs without getting yourself at least somewhat familiar with what everything does. It's a complex module, but well worth the time investment. Wogglebug is high up on my priority list, so I hope to be able to compare and contrast them firsthand.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump