The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th May 2017
  #3601
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Next on my list is MN Morphogene, Qu-bit contours and AD EOS however I'm really tempted with the DS Oberhiem OB6 Module
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3602
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alright guys, evaluating needs versus wants here, I'm realizing that the number of melodic sequencers I have is kind of skewed. (Lots of cool trigger and gate sources, but I've only got the Stillson Hammer mkII and Oberkorn for melodies.) What are your favorites out there? I'm not looking for anything specific as far as specifications, just looking to expand my pallet.
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 has to be one of the best step sequencers in Euro. It's hard to succinctly sum up the feature set but when you include the 3 LFO/CV outputs you end up with a multitrack sequencer capable of all the usual features (ratcheting, accents, slide, gate length, shuffle, clocking, pattern memory) and a wide variety of auxiliary (outputs clock/reset/run, swing, pattern manip. tools, CV control over a variety of parameters). There's just not that much it can't do; and unlike some other big brother sequencers like the ER-101 the interface is both easy to get around, comfortable to use and familiar (I'm sure it's powerful but to me the ER interface is a dumpster fire).
3 very flexible Sync'd (by steps) LFOs
Ability to program CV lanes as LFO, Gates, Pitch or volts
On board clock division (I feed mine DIN Sync)
variable slide time
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3603
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar

New joint
4
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3604
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 has to be one of the best step sequencers in Euro. It's hard to succinctly sum up the feature set but when you include the 3 LFO/CV outputs you end up with a multitrack sequencer capable of all the usual features (ratcheting, accents, slide, gate length, shuffle, clocking, pattern memory) and a wide variety of auxiliary (outputs clock/reset/run, swing, pattern manip. tools, CV control over a variety of parameters). There's just not that much it can't do; and unlike some other big brother sequencers like the ER-101 the interface is both easy to get around, comfortable to use and familiar (I'm sure it's powerful but to me the ER interface is a dumpster fire).
3 very flexible Sync'd (by steps) LFOs
Ability to program CV lanes as LFO, Gates, Pitch or volts
On board clock division (I feed mine DIN Sync)
variable slide time
So you can have 4 1v/Oct outs for a 4 track pitch sequencer?
Using Pitch, CV1, CV2, CV3 (with CV1,CV2,CV3 set to output NotePitch per step?)
Old 16th May 2017
  #3605
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
So you can have 4 1v/Oct outs for a 4 track pitch sequencer?
Using Pitch, CV1, CV2, CV3 (with CV1,CV2,CV3 set to output NotePitch per step?)
Yep!

Basically each CV OUT can be either an LFO or straight programmed voltage; but you can program the voltage as either note values, gate on/off or straight voltage values. Plus you can combine an LFO with programmed values on the CV OUTs (adding and multiplying).

So you could do two lanes of Pitch & Gate; you could do 4 Pitches (and derive gates elsewhere); or any combination you can imagine.
2
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3606
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Next on my list is MN Morphogene, Qu-bit contours and AD EOS however I'm really tempted with the DS Oberhiem OB6 Module
I absolutely love my OB6 - it's likely one hardware synth that I'll never get rid of. But if I were you, I'd hold off and see what the B does OB-wise, methinks.
2
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3607
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Yep!

Basically each CV OUT can be either an LFO or straight programmed voltage; but you can program the voltage as either note values, gate on/off or straight voltage values. Plus you can combine an LFO with programmed values on the CV OUTs (adding and multiplying).

So you could do two lanes of Pitch & Gate; you could do 4 Pitches (and derive gates elsewhere); or any combination you can imagine.
Interesting, I guess the compromise here is that the Sequencer 1 was designed or is focussed more on 1 melodic channel plus the possibility of having up to 4 note-cv outs but is not a fully featured multi-Pitch sequencer... but it may be easier to use to start with. Dedicated accent output etc..

The Eloquencer has 8 CV and 8 Gate/Trigger out = straight forward to use for pitched+Gate multi tracks

Same with the ER-101 and the FLXS1, they have dedicated 2xCV + 1 Gate out per each of the four tracks = dedicated pitched+Gate multi tracks

They are roughly the same price with maybe the Sequencer 1 being more expensive. Well, at least we currently have a few options, each a bit different, for more than 1 pitch/gate channel of sequencing
Old 16th May 2017
  #3608
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Interesting, I guess the compromise here is that the Sequencer 1 was designed or is focussed more on 1 melodic channel plus the possibility of having up to 4 note-cv outs but is not a fully featured multi-Pitch sequencer... but it may be easier to use to start with. Dedicated accent output etc..

The Eloquencer has 8 CV and 8 Gate/Trigger out = straight forward to use for pitched+Gate multi tracks

Same with the ER-101 and the FLXS1, they have dedicated 2xCV + 1 Gate out per each of the four tracks = dedicated pitched+Gate multi tracks

They are roughly the same price with maybe the Sequencer 1 being more expensive. Well, at least we currently have a few options, each a bit different, for more than 1 pitch/gate channel of sequencing
Yep, originally Sequencer One CV outs were only programmable via voltage or LFO (or combined). The change allowing you to program them as note values or gates came in a later update; so it would be fair to say that's not its core functionality. That said between Pitch and the CVs and Gate and Accent you can very easily get three tracks going (Main Pitch + Gate, CV1 + Accent, CV2 + CV3) without a lot of fuss.

I think if Poly sequencing is the main goal then Sequencer One is arguably not the best choice out there. But if you're looking for a mono step sequencer that can also fill in for Polyphonic duties I think it's a great choice. Mine gets a lot of use even when I'm not step sequencing (those sync'd LFOs are hella useful).
2
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3609
I made a little video demonstrating one aspect of the new Dave Smith DSM03 module, as there aren't many videos on Youtube demonstrating the module.
10
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3610
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alright guys, evaluating needs versus wants here, I'm realizing that the number of melodic sequencers I have is kind of skewed. (Lots of cool trigger and gate sources, but I've only got the Stillson Hammer mkII and Oberkorn for melodies.) What are your favorites out there? I'm not looking for anything specific as far as specifications, just looking to expand my pallet.
I've been looking at sequencers too. My taste is towards simpler modules that play nice with the rest of the system over really deep stuff with menus that require a lot of head scratching. The features I'm looking for are transposition, CV control over steps, small footprint, quantizer would be nice but not required. These are what I've been looking at.

Bastl Popcorn - Considering this now that they're doing aluminum panels (I know, I know...). It has quantization, transposition, slide. I can't see a way to change the direction with CV but you can skip steps which is kinda cool.

Qu-Bit Octone - Has quantization, slide but no transposition. I could get over that with a unity mixer but it's nice when it's built in. It has a gate out on every step which is nice. I imagine it gets a bit crowded when fully patched.

XAOC Tirana - Transposition, no quantization or slide and only four steps but you get CV control over direction. Not as full featured as the other but cheap and small.
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3611
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Yep, originally Sequencer One CV outs were only programmable via voltage or LFO (or combined). The change allowing you to program them as note values or gates came in a later update; so it would be fair to say that's not its core functionality. That said between Pitch and the CVs and Gate and Accent you can very easily get three tracks going (Main Pitch + Gate, CV1 + Accent, CV2 + CV3) without a lot of fuss.

I think if Poly sequencing is the main goal then Sequencer One is arguably not the best choice out there. But if you're looking for a mono step sequencer that can also fill in for Polyphonic duties I think it's a great choice. Mine gets a lot of use even when I'm not step sequencing (those sync'd LFOs are hella useful).
yes, indeed looks like the Sequencer One has that flexibility to go from excellent [One track sequencer + more great features/interface/outs] to [multiple pitched tracks]. So yes it is very appealing

If I was to go for two sequencers probably one of the other sequencers plus the Sequencer One could be a great combo (not great for my pocket of course, but it would put a big smile on my face )

Last edited by Hokut; 16th May 2017 at 04:28 PM..
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3612
Gear Head
 
Amiaris's Avatar
 

Modular buchla inspired modules question for the expert by a non expert

Building a buchla inspired setup from scratch.
Could anyone identify the sounds of the first minute or so of that wonderful buchla sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6yvXJhRLc&t=175s

I am looking of course into clones such as Sputnik mODULAR AND vERBOS.
What modules or setup should I buy to get even relatively close? (I know Alessandro on this track has a huge original beast of buchlas)

Thanks in advance guys!

1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3613
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Building a buchla inspired setup from scratch.
Could anyone identify the sounds of the first minute or so of that wonderful buchla sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6yvXJhRLc&t=175s

I am looking of course into clones such as Sputnik mODULAR AND vERBOS.
What modules or setup should I buy to get even relatively close? (I know Alessandro on this track has a huge original beast of buchlas)

Thanks in advance guys!

I'd definitely check out Make Noise as well. A lot of their modules are more on the west coast philosophy, DPO, Optomix/LxD, Maths/Function.
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3614
Gear Head
 
Amiaris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'd definitely check out Make Noise as well. A lot of their modules are more on the west coast philosophy, DPO, Optomix/LxD, Maths/Function.
Thank you for the tip!
Any ideas of specific modules referring to this sound?
I know its a long shot question....

Thanks though.
Old 16th May 2017
  #3615
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Thank you for the tip!
Any ideas of specific modules referring to this sound?
I know its a long shot question....

Thanks though.
That's a pretty long piece of music to parse through but I hear wavefolding in the distorted drone parts plus something like a Lofi Junkie type chorus - the warbly tape effect. The pluckier sounds are probably going through an LPG (look up the Buchla Bongo patch). There's also a lot of sounds that are harder to identify especially when drenched in reverb. What you don't hear a lot of is filter sweeps. Resonant LPFs in general play a lot less of a role in east coast systems. Nice music though
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3616
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Thank you for the tip!
Any ideas of specific modules referring to this sound?
I know its a long shot question....

Thanks though.
Never owned any Buchla modules so my thinking is entirely based on my Euro setup and subsequent comparisons...

If I were setting up a Buchla inspired Eurorack it would be based around:
-Some sort of complex oscillator
Either a 259, a pair of 258s and a wave folder or whatever; there are a lot of variants of both
-At least 4 channels of LPG
If cash were no option I'd probably still be hunting for a QMMG but a pair of Optomixes or the like should do the trick just as well
-At least 4 envelopes
2 Maths would be my choice but Quadra can satisfy that as well (get the expander though)
-Some kind of random signal generator with smooth, stepped, whatever
Wogglebug, Ultra Random Analog, etc.

Leaves lots of space for utilities and other goodies.

As far as brands...I love Make Noise personally, I think their modules are fantastic: great sounding, well designed UIs; easily my most used voice in my modular. But there are plenty of difficult choices between them and Endorphines and Sputnik and Verbos (and even other brands who might not specialize in West Coast but also have interesting offerings).
Old 16th May 2017
  #3617
The first minute of the Cortini video isn't typically Buchlaesque.
For a start, the main sound is heavily lo-passed, and Buchla mostly eschewed traditional filtering.
The oscillator sound sources sound more like thick analog osc's than a 259.
The 258 is more of a standard analog oscillator. Very, very nice. Very thick and warm.
There's some overdrive in there and/or wavefolding.
It could well all be from a Buchla system, but the video text says nothing. Does he only ever use Buchla? I don't think so.
I didn't listen after the first minute, but the first minute could be done on anything with nice oscillators, an LPF and something gritty to process it through, either wavefolding or just overdrive.
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3618
Gear Head
 
Amiaris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Never owned any Buchla modules so my thinking is entirely based on my Euro setup and subsequent comparisons...

If I were setting up a Buchla inspired Eurorack it would be based around:
-Some sort of complex oscillator
Either a 259, a pair of 258s and a wave folder or whatever; there are a lot of variants of both
-At least 4 channels of LPG
If cash were no option I'd probably still be hunting for a QMMG but a pair of Optomixes or the like should do the trick just as well
-At least 4 envelopes
2 Maths would be my choice but Quadra can satisfy that as well (get the expander though)
-Some kind of random signal generator with smooth, stepped, whatever
Wogglebug, Ultra Random Analog, etc.

Leaves lots of space for utilities and other goodies.

As far as brands...I love Make Noise personally, I think their modules are fantastic: great sounding, well designed UIs; easily my most used voice in my modular. But there are plenty of difficult choices between them and Endorphines and Sputnik and Verbos (and even other brands who might not specialize in West Coast but also have interesting offerings).



Ngajurna I must say your suggestions confirmed some things and opened doors in others. Thank you so much for taking the time.

To your points :

A)For complex oscillators I am looking at these 2 :
1: DUAL OSCILLATOR |
2: Verbos Electronics - Complex Oscillator - modular systems - schneidersladen.de

B) For LPG the WMMG is difficult to be found :( So looking at these options
1: 4 LPGs
2: 2 Make Noise Co. | LxD

C) For envelopes i thought:
1: QUAD FUNCTION & TRIGGER SOURCE |
2: Quadra with expander seems very interesting
3: 2 maths also sounds like a way to go you re right.

D) For random signal generators I thought
1: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/verbos...andom-sampling
2: WEST COAST RANDOM SOURCE |
3: Wogglebug, Ultra Random Analog you mentioned look great too, I did not know them


Then I was thinking, unless i am totally wrong, some sort of spectral stuff such as 1: http://sputnik-modular.com/wp-conten...lprocessor.jpg
2:Verbos Electronics - Harmonic Oscillator - modular systems - schneidersladen.de

Wanna get close to a system I can start with and slowly build up through the years to get to a 200e type.
Old 16th May 2017
  #3619
Gear Head
 
Amiaris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The first minute of the Cortini video isn't typically Buchlaesque.
For a start, the main sound is heavily lo-passed, and Buchla mostly eschewed traditional filtering.
The oscillator sound sources sound more like thick analog osc's than a 259.
The 258 is more of a standard analog oscillator. Very, very nice. Very thick and warm.
There's some overdrive in there and/or wavefolding.
It could well all be from a Buchla system, but the video text says nothing. Does he only ever use Buchla? I don't think so.
I didn't listen after the first minute, but the first minute could be done on anything with nice oscillators, an LPF and something gritty to process it through, either wavefolding or just overdrive.
Chrisso you are right! Just found somewhere there is great doses of tb303 in these sounds...
Nevertheless I am still in the process of trying to understand how to be build a buchla inspired settup so any ideas and/or corrections are more than welcome.
Thank you !
Old 16th May 2017
  #3620
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Ngajurna I must say your suggestions confirmed some things and opened doors in others. Thank you so much for taking the time.

To your points :

A)For complex oscillators I am looking at these 2 :
1: DUAL OSCILLATOR |
2: Verbos Electronics - Complex Oscillator - modular systems - schneidersladen.de

B) For LPG the WMMG is difficult to be found :( So looking at these options
1: 4 LPGs
2: 2 Make Noise Co. | LxD

C) For envelopes i thought:
1: QUAD FUNCTION & TRIGGER SOURCE |
2: Quadra with expander seems very interesting
3: 2 maths also sounds like a way to go you re right.

D) For random signal generators I thought
1: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/verbos...andom-sampling
2: WEST COAST RANDOM SOURCE |
3: Wogglebug, Ultra Random Analog you mentioned look great too, I did not know them


Then I was thinking, unless i am totally wrong, some sort of spectral stuff such as 1: http://sputnik-modular.com/wp-conten...lprocessor.jpg
2:Verbos Electronics - Harmonic Oscillator - modular systems - schneidersladen.de

Wanna get close to a system I can start with and slowly build up through the years to get to a 200e type.
A) If I were looking for a 259 I'd probably be looking at the Sputnik dual vs. the DPO (the wave folder on the DPO is really nice). Though I've never used Verbos modules I'd consider their CO to be a good contender as well. All that said I've heard some pretty gnarly (in a good way) stuff come out of the Sputnik dual.

B) Yeah QMMGs are expensive when you find them for sale; the good news is someone did an A/B video (don't have the link handy right now) between that and the Optomix and you really couldn't tell the difference. Obviously you aren't going to get feedback on the Optomix without patching but it's a perfectly reasonable alternative (and actually 2 Optomixes take up less space than a QMMG which is a plus and they're chainable)

I have nothing against the LxD but, for me, I'd rather have a pair or even four LPGs with the same slope (for making stereo or quadraphonic patches); but mitigating this is 1) a pair of LxDs would give you two pairs with matching slopes so... and 2) the vactrol response from one channel of Optomix and another rarely match anyway (apparently the vactrol matching issue was what doomed the QMMG as well). The one thing that I'd miss from the Optomix is the DAMP parameter, though.

I do really love the STRIKE input on Make Noise LPGs; it's really well suited for the pinging/plucky/bongo thing.

C) The thing that makes me vastly prefer a pair of Maths (even beyond the SUM/DIFF and utility center channels) is that, as envelopes, they rule; so easy to dial in with the adjustable response curve. Likewise with a Maths and Rampage (basically the Spanish, DIY Maths) you can get pretty much a similar feature set (lots of utilities, 4 great envelopes) and save another 2 hp iirc. But there's nothing wrong with the Intellijel or the Sputnik if the features and size work better (two Maths is a fair amount of space).

D) In the URA vs. Wogglebug universe it seems like (this is a huge generalization) the Wogglebug tends to obscure what's going on 'under the hood' more than the URA. So people who like the "turn knobs, don't even look" style of wiggling seem to prefer the Wogglebug and people with more precise ideas they're trying to patch up seem to prefer the URA; that's a huge overgeneralization, obviously, but I think it's more or less fair. I personally have a Wogglebug and I really like it, it gets plenty of action, but if I had to do it all over I would have gone with the URA; just seems closer to my patching style. But the VCOs on the Wogglebug (and the Ring Mod) are definitely unique and not something you'll find on probably any other random generator module; so in some ways the Wogglebug does bring some special sauce to the table. I know absolutely nothing about the Verbos module so I can't really compare it.

Then) Yeah Spectral Processors like the Sputnik are very Buchla-esque, I forget the number of the Buchla module it copies. Likewise the 5-step Voltage Source by Sputnik seems to be a pretty popular module too if you're looking for some automated control. And a nice touch controller might interest you too (Sputnik or Verbos or whatever).
Old 16th May 2017
  #3621
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Chrisso you are right! Just found somewhere there is great doses of tb303 in these sounds...
Nevertheless I am still in the process of trying to understand how to be build a buchla inspired settup so any ideas and/or corrections are more than welcome.
Thank you !
I remember i read about somwhere how he produced the whole album with a 303 + mc202 and some fx pedals while On tour in hotelrooms.
2
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3622
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Wow, lots of input on the sequencer question. Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
and its been mentioned before but can you actually beat a Beatstep PRO ???? goes great with modular.
Yeah, if I were smart, I'd buy one of those again. Only reason I unloaded was because I wanted everything in the racks. BSP is just a monster when it comes to usability in modular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Zetaohm FLXS1 and Winter Modular Eloquencer
I got both of them on the wishlist now, thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Since you've got the gate/trigger stuff handled. The Malekko Voltage Block is really fantastic for both melodic stuff as well as just plain ole CV, and it's 8 channels.
Very good point there. This has sent me on another line of thinking as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
If you play keys and want a keyboard, and since you love emulating the 303, the Stepper Acid is another possibility
Very cool recommendation there. How do you get along with it compared to other sequencers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My favorite right now is the Metropolis, but you already have that space covered with the Stillson.
Yeah, Stillson is fun. I rarely even touch the sliders because it's so much fun randomizing the hell out of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'd throw in the Arpitecht with the Triads expander for consideration. It's a good, happy accident type device and definitely not tied to doing just traditional arpeggios. I've been able to wrangle it into acting like a much more musical version of a Turing Machine. With Triads, you get CV for three additional musically related notes to route and gate sequence how you choose.

TINRS Tuesday is fun, but I'm already sick of at least one of the algorithms. That said, the Velocity, Gate, and Accent outs can be fun even if they aren't matched with the Note outputs.
Tuesday and Arpitecht are both on my list now. Especially Tuesday. I like the way you're thinking regarding not necessarily using sequencers, but just things that quantize the pitch source. I think Ornament and Crime needs to be put on my list soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Audio Damage Sequencer 1 has to be one of the best step sequencers in Euro. It's hard to succinctly sum up the feature set but when you include the 3 LFO/CV outputs you end up with a multitrack sequencer capable of all the usual features (ratcheting, accents, slide, gate length, shuffle, clocking, pattern memory) and a wide variety of auxiliary (outputs clock/reset/run, swing, pattern manip. tools, CV control over a variety of parameters). There's just not that much it can't do; and unlike some other big brother sequencers like the ER-101 the interface is both easy to get around, comfortable to use and familiar (I'm sure it's powerful but to me the ER interface is a dumpster fire).
3 very flexible Sync'd (by steps) LFOs
Ability to program CV lanes as LFO, Gates, Pitch or volts
On board clock division (I feed mine DIN Sync)
variable slide time
Sounds sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Bastl Popcorn - Considering this now that they're doing aluminum panels (I know, I know...). It has quantization, transposition, slide. I can't see a way to change the direction with CV but you can skip steps which is kinda cool.
Kinda mad at myself for forgetting that exists, especially as a Bastl fanboi.
Old 16th May 2017
  #3623
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Was thinking a bit on the sequencer thing last night and decided to snag these two for now.



A Turing Machine is something I've been after for a long time, but I don't like fumbling about in Dead Man's Catch. This is cheaper than a Music Thing Turing Machine and has most of the same functionality. And the dual S&H is because it occurs to me that I've got a bunch of noise/random sources. Sample a pitch with an S&H and run through a quantizer, and I've got a sequencer that is fairly random depending on the random source. So I think next on my list might be an Ornament and Crime since that seems to be the super mega quantizer.

Also, guys... I don't want you to be alarmed, but I built something.

...and it actually works!



To be fair, it's the RCD Breakout, which is almost idiot-proof, but I'm still just amazed that my soldering iron didn't destroy something. Kinda feeling brave and wanting to tackle the Kontakt Mic in the next few days.
5
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3624
I finally was able to have an Ornament & Crime module built for me... here is my first test with it sequencing (in Turing Machine mode) the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO module. Towards the end of the video the Morphagene makes an appearance.

6
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3625
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Dope.
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3626
Gear Maniac
 
Stolle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Building a buchla inspired setup from scratch.
Could anyone identify the sounds of the first minute or so of that wonderful buchla sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T6yvXJhRLc&t=175s

I am looking of course into clones such as Sputnik mODULAR AND vERBOS.
What modules or setup should I buy to get even relatively close? (I know Alessandro on this track has a huge original beast of buchlas)

Thanks in advance guys!

While Cortini is indeed known for his great use of the Buchla, I believe that the album you linked to is exclusively Roland. Mc202 + Tb303.

If you are looking for the old Buchla sound, I would also consider the Malekko Anti-oscillator (two of them) in combination with the Malekko Borg LPG and the Malekko Envelator.
Old 16th May 2017
  #3627
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I absolutely love my OB6 - it's likely one hardware synth that I'll never get rid of. But if I were you, I'd hold off and see what the B does OB-wise, methinks.
One of the guys in my Modular group uses an OB Xpander with his 5u as his main VCOs. Now if you could just find one of those for a good price.
Old 16th May 2017
  #3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I finally was able to have an Ornament & Crime module built for me... here is my first test with it sequencing (in Turing Machine mode) the Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO module. Towards the end of the video the Morphagene makes an appearance.

Another winner.
1
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3629
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

I figured that by limiting myself to only Doepfer modules, I could avoid falling down the proverbial Rabbit Hole. How mistaken I was. 5x 84HP + 2x Minicase and growing... .
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_3591.jpg  
7
Share
Old 16th May 2017
  #3630
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You know there's a tuner VST in Live now, right? Maybe it's just an Enterprise VST, or is it for all versions?



When I'm modifying live, I tend to keep the changes at one end of the fader or the other. That's really the only way I know of to "limit" to an octave or two.

Oftentimes though, when not doing live changes, I'll hold down the button for the step, then adjust the slider to get the note I'm looking for.

Are you saying the scales don't do anything at all? Some scales will have minimal changes, and those will be depending on what notes you've chosen for that channel. I've not experienced changing scales doing nothing.

Perhaps a defective unit?
Perhaps defective user!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump