The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

A little Sunday afternoon live session based around a Metropolis sequence ...

Yarns
Octocontroller
Braids
Peaks
Evolution
A-160-1, A-160-2, and A-160-5 clock utilities
Rings
Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO
WMD S.P.O
Clouds
Veils
Erica Synths Stereo Mixer
EMW Alias VCO
Omikron
Ornament and Crime
Blinds
Levit8
Arpitecht
Tuesday
Aperture
Quadra
Erica Pico DSP
Metropolis
Disting x2
Grids
Ladik M-216
Analog Rytm
TC Electronic Flashback
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Guru

Nice drums are they modular too..?? really reminded me of some early Children of the Bong...very similar indeed..
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Nice drums are they modular too..?? really reminded me of some early Children of the Bong...very similar indeed..
Drums are Analog Rytm with a little extra programming help from Grids via the Ladik. There's also a loop coming from one of the Distings going through the Kammerl mod of Clouds.

Posting this gave me an idea also. it's hard to keep Clouds beat repeat under control, it's mostly random without mod control. Next time I'll have to try extending a Grids trigger to a gate with Maths to control the Clouds freeze input and see if I get a better groove out of it.
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Guru

Are you getting a morphagene..? I sold my Morpheus filter, found it too gimmicky and everything sounded the same through it.. morph is way cool though, be keeping it.
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Having had an eye on the 311C Dual JAG Controller and the Synthi, I've developed a craving for a joystick (I already have the Malekko JAG). The Intellijel Planar sure is pricey, but what is the verdict on this? Is it worth the extra money over the Doepfer one? It looks like a lot of fun.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Having had an eye on the 311C Dual JAG Controller and the Synthi, I've developed a craving for a joystick (I already have the Malekko JAG). The Intellijel Planar sure is pricey, but what is the verdict on this? Is it worth the extra money over the Doepfer one? It looks like a lot of fun.
Has been a while but from when I was deciding between a Planar and Choices for my master plan...if you just want the joystick then the Planar is very much overkill. If you plan on using the VCAs and/or mixing on the Planar then it becomes a good value. Also the gate generator is unique to the Planar (or not present on the Doepfer at least). It looks like the Doepfer can be configured between bi and unipolar (jumpers?) but on the Planar it's very easy to switch back and forth.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Are you getting a morphagene..? I sold my Morpheus filter, found it too gimmicky and everything sounded the same through it.. morph is way cool though, be keeping it.
I've been holing off on buying anything more than utilities at this point until I get my hands on my ER-301 and se what it's capable of. That said, I've been tempted by a Morphagene, especially it can be coaxed into doing beat slicing.

As for the Morpheus, I like it for pads ... Chord right now and hopefully, samples from my Emu library in the near future. I keep going back to the same filter types though. I need to go back to the docs and do a deep drive into the various filters at some point soon since it seems like I'm barely taking advantage of it.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Wasn't the original envelope on the Minimoog made out of a doorbell circuit from a hardware store? Pretty sure I read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
First time I've heard this but wouldn't doubt it.
Some Random eBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rhea
"Bob Moog used a doorbell as the first S-Trigger generator on his 911 Envelope Generator."
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
What about one of these?

I've got three of these and two LS1's in a little control boat and I love them. They're immediate and a lot of fun, plus the pressure control adds an extra dimension to what you can do with it.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Been kinda busy these last few days (mostly sleeping because ya know... sleep). The Morpheus got shipped out on Saturday, so I won't receive it until later this week, and the A-160-2 should be shipping out today. I ordered an RCD breakout already because the RCD is just way too much fun on its own, so I can only imagine how fun it will be with more control. I ordered the DIY version because it's such a simple design that if I can manage to screw that one up, I'll have earned the right to shove my soldering iron up my butt.

But here's where it gets kind of exciting for me...

Once everything I've ordered is in, if I go ahead and put the RCD breakout and the Kontakt Mic kit together and slot them in, I will officially have the same HP as Cyrus Rex! Five six row cases, with the last row on the fifth case empty. (If you'll notice in the middle top of Cyrus Rex, there's a patchbay and a tuner installed as regular rack units.) Again, he wins on quality because he's got a lot of high end stuff that I'll probably never see in my lifetime, but I've got him matched on quantity! The next goal is Beermaster's Euro Rig. He's got approximately 1260hp more than I do (so two and a half cases more), but I think I can take him down by end of 2020.

Make Modular Great Again!
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Jeeezus wept Derp!
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Had plans that fell through for today, so when this popped up I watched....all of it...live.

It is mostly performance but he actually stops at points to talk to the people in chat and answer questions. he even took suggestions on which way to go with the patch and got pretty deep into music theory at points. I'm hooked.
I only skipped through quick and listened to some of the nice mellow choons he was patching, the zombie nation kernkraft 400 was pretty cool too, when i have more time ill sit and watch the lot.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Alright guys, evaluating needs versus wants here, I'm realizing that the number of melodic sequencers I have is kind of skewed. (Lots of cool trigger and gate sources, but I've only got the Stillson Hammer mkII and Oberkorn for melodies.) What are your favorites out there? I'm not looking for anything specific as far as specifications, just looking to expand my pallet.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alright guys, evaluating needs versus wants here, I'm realizing that the number of melodic sequencers I have is kind of skewed. (Lots of cool trigger and gate sources, but I've only got the Stillson Hammer mkII and Oberkorn for melodies.) What are your favorites out there? I'm not looking for anything specific as far as specifications, just looking to expand my pallet.
i'm no help here because I'm going to mention Rene, however i haven't got a clue how to use it so when i do its all happy accidents.

and its been mentioned before but can you actually beat a Beatstep PRO ???? goes great with modular.

Ive got Moskwa, Orbitals, Darktime all the same format really "Boring" if i use these things i automatically go into 4x4 techno mode and it all becomes too predictable (heard it all before lark)

I think i'm going to get better melodies using something like Qu-bit Contours so its next on my shopping list.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post

What are the lead sounds - acid sounding and funky Stevie Wonder type sound? So the Arpitecht is doing the modulation and Arpeggios on lead?
Really musical and well done - brilliant! I would love to see a patch pic.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice track
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't yet have 'a' favourite. I only own the Beat Step Pro but I want to get some Sequencer Module soon. To this end I am keeping track of the following (for melodic sequencers featuring memory you can save/recall)

For anything beyond one channel sequencers
Orthogonal Devices ER-101/ER-102
Zetaohm FLXS1 (I think Kickstarter just ended?)
Winter Modular Eloquencer (starting shipping this week I believe, for those who already ordered it)

Then there is the Birdkids sequencer but no much info about it yet. Who knows how far this is from release.

I favour the above choices over single channels sequencers I guess

Then for something autogenerated... I am curious about
Tinrs Tuesday

I am resisting buying anything at the moment because I would make very little use of it until I finish my DIY work around the room/home. Hopefully soon.

Last edited by Hokut; 17th May 2017 at 08:57 PM..
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
What are the lead sounds - acid sounding and funky Stevie Wonder type sound? So the Arpitecht is doing the modulation and Arpeggios on lead?
Really musical and well done - brilliant! I would love to see a patch pic.
All you'd see is a mess of wire.

The "clav" type sound is the BOWD on Braids going through the Evolution. The other lead sound, the acid sound is Omikron through Aperture with some wild modulation.

Arpitecht is simply doing the bass line on Rings. When I recorded it, it looks like the Note mask knob got bumped down to a single note, instead of the intended two or three note walk C dorian mode ... Oh well. At least I'm starting to get the hand of this modular thing. Now I just need to learn how to take a patch like that and extend it, ala Colin Benders, into something 10 to 15 minutes long.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Make Modular Great Again!
now THIS is the kind of "wall" I could get behind building.

Especially if Mexico pays for it.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since you've got the gate/trigger stuff handled. The Malekko Voltage Block is really fantastic for both melodic stuff as well as just plain ole CV, and it's 8 channels.

If you play keys and want a keyboard, and since you love emulating the 303, the Stepper Acid is another possibility
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
My favorite right now is the Metropolis, but you already have that space covered with the Stillson. I've also got an SQ-1 that I use as a stored voltage sequencer.

I'd throw in the Arpitecht with the Triads expander for consideration. It's a good, happy accident type device and definitely not tied to doing just traditional arpeggios. I've been able to wrangle it into acting like a much more musical version of a Turing Machine. With Triads, you get CV for three additional musically related notes to route and gate sequence how you choose.

TINRS Tuesday is fun, but I'm already sick of at least one of the algorithms. That said, the Velocity, Gate, and Accent outs can be fun even if they aren't matched with the Note outputs.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
All you'd see is a mess of wire.

The "clav" type sound is the BOWD on Braids going through the Evolution. The other lead sound, the acid sound is Omikron through Aperture with some wild modulation.

Arpitecht is simply doing the bass line on Rings. When I recorded it, it looks like the Note mask knob got bumped down to a single note, instead of the intended two or three note walk C dorian mode ... Oh well. At least I'm starting to get the hand of this modular thing. Now I just need to learn how to take a patch like that and extend it, ala Colin Benders, into something 10 to 15 minutes long.
I just had a look at Rossum's Evolution and Aperture. Really amazing filters. I'm just gonna have to restrain myself and stick with what I have for now.
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
I've already ranted about the Eloquencer enough, and I am getting one from the next batch for sure. It will provide me with the more static "song" structure I need, and will serve as a master sequencer to trigger others I already have. i imagine doing a lot of muting and unmuting already programmed sequences on this one in a performance.

After that, I am seriously considering a FLXS-1...

This one seems like it has an intuitive interface for "jamming" and doing stuff on the fly, so once the brain is triggering everything I can use this one to sequence variations and fills. This one does weird modulation per-step stuff that seems pretty cool too and per-step arpeggiator too. I can already imagine the weird **** you can do with a little self-patching...

And this one would be just awesome to have for at home. Probably not at all for you I know, but you have to admit it's sexy...

Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Now that I've got a tuning app for Ableton - Gtune was the first free one I've found that does the trick, I've been wondering about trying to do some detuning but keeping it in tune in the mix as well. I'm probably answering my own question here but wanted to ask if you have any tips. I've read the common ways are to tune one oscillator off slightly, tune one sharp and one flat or by a certain interval.

Good article. I have yet to try this out.
Synth Oscillator Tuning Tricks | KeyboardMag
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Has been a while but from when I was deciding between a Planar and Choices for my master plan...if you just want the joystick then the Planar is very much overkill. If you plan on using the VCAs and/or mixing on the Planar then it becomes a good value. Also the gate generator is unique to the Planar (or not present on the Doepfer at least). It looks like the Doepfer can be configured between bi and unipolar (jumpers?) but on the Planar it's very easy to switch back and forth.
Thanks! I guess you get a lot of functionality packed into one module with the Planar.

Quote:
What about one of these?

I've got three of these and two LS1's in a little control boat and I love them. They're immediate and a lot of fun, plus the pressure control adds an extra dimension to what you can do with it.
Cool! I hadn't seen that one before. I will definitely check it out.
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Since you've got the gate/trigger stuff handled. The Malekko Voltage Block is really fantastic for both melodic stuff as well as just plain ole CV, and it's 8 channels.

If you play keys and want a keyboard, and since you love emulating the 303, the Stepper Acid is another possibility
I find melodies really hard to do on my Voltage block. really all over the place with pitches. The Scales don't seem to do anything either.

Is there a way to limit a sequence to an octave or two? Rather than the full range of the Osc?
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Guru

Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just had a look at Rossum's Evolution and Aperture. Really amazing filters. I'm just gonna have to restrain myself and stick with what I have for now.
Here's the mess of wires before I tore down (just over 90 patch cables). Surprising how many modules I wasn't using in that patch. Anyways, Derp and Fiddlestickz put my racks to shame.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-sunday_patch.jpg  
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now that I've got a tuning app for Ableton - Gtune was the first free one I've found that does the trick, I've been wondering about trying to do some detuning but keeping it in tune in the mix as well. I'm probably answering my own question here but wanted to ask if you have any tips. I've read the common ways are to tune one oscillator off slightly, tune one sharp and one flat or by a certain interval.

Good article. I have yet to try this out.
Synth Oscillator Tuning Tricks | KeyboardMag
You know there's a tuner VST in Live now, right? Maybe it's just an Enterprise VST, or is it for all versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I find melodies really hard to do on my Voltage block. really all over the place with pitches. The Scales don't seem to do anything either.

Is there a way to limit a sequence to an octave or two? Rather than the full range of the Osc?
When I'm modifying live, I tend to keep the changes at one end of the fader or the other. That's really the only way I know of to "limit" to an octave or two.

Oftentimes though, when not doing live changes, I'll hold down the button for the step, then adjust the slider to get the note I'm looking for.

Are you saying the scales don't do anything at all? Some scales will have minimal changes, and those will be depending on what notes you've chosen for that channel. I've not experienced changing scales doing nothing.

Perhaps a defective unit?
Old 16th May 2017
Quote:
Here's the mess of wires before I tore down (just over 90 patch cables). Surprising how many modules I wasn't using in that patch. Anyways, Derp and Fiddlestickz put my racks to shame.
6x 84 hp? As I recall you started this game not too long ago (at least compared to me) and I have yet to fill my 6x84hp case (Doepfer monster). Looks like you're headed to @Derp status sooner than you think if you keep pace.

Anyway nice rig dude! I like the "compactness" of it. Some great selections there too.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search