The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of filter is in a Jupiter 8? Is it a transistor ladder type thing?
Its a low pass Filter you can switch between 2 and 4-pole it use's the now hard to find Roland IR3109 chip,
That why you don't see AMSynths building many as the chips are hard to come by, if you can find a Boss PH-2 Phaser pedal on eBay they contain 2 x IR3109 chips so you can make 2 JP8s out of that, the JP6 filter module uses 2 x IR3109 chips so thats obviously harder to come by.
I always drag the wife into secondhand music shops looking for Boss PH-2 Phaser pedals, if you can get one for £40 then £20 per chip is a good deal.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of filter is in a Jupiter 8? Is it a transistor ladder type thing? I don't DIY but I am interested in circuit designs and have general understanding of resistors, caps, diodes and basic components. I like understanding what's going on even if I can't or wouldn't want to build it.
It's a 2/4-pole OTA core.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been in the market for a mcp2k replacement for almost a year now. Just got done watching the new videos and at this point it's just a question of the live or the x. I actually like the form factor of the live better, too bad it doest have the cv outs but I've got the BSP for that assuming I can get a tight midi sync between the 2. OTOH go for broke, get the x, toss the laptop and BSP out of the workflow entirely? I'm super excited for NAMM
But would you Toss the laptop or even buy as MPC X/Live if at NAMM Native instruments announce a pierce of hardware that bridges the gap between Reactor blocks and Eurorack ?

Because i find it hard to believe that NI are developing Blocks whilst relying on third party hardware (Expert sleepers) which requires a sound card with certain connections in order for it to function. So some people have to shell out on 2 pieces of hardware just to use blocks.

Just a hunch I've had for sometime that NI may provide their own solution, maybe a joint venture with Expert sleepers.
Maybe i could phone the airport and check how many flights Andrew Ostler had to Germany last year......
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
It's a 2/4-pole OTA core.
Kinda like opamps with "transconductance"
Yal DYIers are way over my head. I'm at the "try to build an APC on a bread board" level.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
But would you Toss the laptop or even buy as MPC X/Live if at NAMM Native instruments announce a pierce of hardware that bridges the gap between Reactor blocks and Eurorack ?

Because i find it hard to believe that NI are developing Blocks whilst relying on third party hardware (Expert sleepers) which requires a sound card with certain connections in order for it to function. So some people have to shell out on 2 pieces of hardware just to use blocks.

Just a hunch I've had for sometime that NI may provide their own solution.........
Oh no way I'm committing to anything until after NAMM. Anyone who's been in the game for more than a year knows that. But a blocks euro interface isn't where I think I want to go. I've only been really OTB for about a year and the main thing I miss is using clips and samples. Still it will be interesting to see what NI brings to the table especially with Pioneer competing with their DJ line, Akai coming with a standalone which is going to be a huge competitor with Maschine and ES/silent way providing modular integration. I think they're going to need a big splash to keep them on top. Not saying they're going anywhere. Komplete is almost an "industry standard" at this point.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kinda like opamps with "transconductance"
Yal DYIers are way over my head. I'm at the "try to build an APC on a bread board" level.
I'm actually not a DIY'er, just interested in filters. But to answer your question, I believe so, yes. I think that IR3109 is also the same design in the SH-101, Juno 6/60 as well right?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I'm actually not a DIY'er, just interested in filters. But to answer your question, I believe so, yes. I think that IR3109 is also the same design in the SH-101, Juno 6/60 as well right?
Yes, I only mentioned boss phaser pedals as your highly unlikely to destroy a SH-101 in order to make a eurorack filter, well I hope nobody would anyway lol.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I only mentioned boss phaser pedals as your highly unlikely to destroy a SH-101 in order to make a eurorack filter, well I hope nobody would anyway lol.
Ah yeah good call, I forgot you could salvage them from those Boss pedals.

ETA: Indeed, I would never destroy a 101 for chips!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
What did you do for power? Flying power buss?
Yeah, flying bus. Originally it was the TipTop then I migrated to the Synthrotek.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
I very much like this. Can you demystify how I can download this in say a 2d full size vector type image. I am seriously liking this and might take the file to a fabricator and do an aluminum set and a wood set of the 6u (to start) and 9u (when I outgrow the 6u).

Some format that can be water jet cut or CNC would be AMAZING! I could also print out full-size and bandsaw the wood. I would buy you beer!

That is beautiful and I now have no desire to do a folding case.
Give me a couple days, I may have a DXF on my machine that I ended up sending to the wood shop, if not I can knock one out pretty quickly.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Give me a couple days, I may have a DXF on my machine that I ended up sending to the wood shop, if not I can knock one out pretty quickly.
If you go to the link you sent - it lets you download as DXF.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
If you go to the link you sent - it lets you download as DXF.
Yea... last time I tried the DXF (about 1.5 years ago), the results were not so great. I can clean it up for a CNC shop.

*edit*
The export does look pretty decent... at least it didn't scale down to mm this time.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
If that MPC X thing only had a separate clock / reset output or DIN sync ... With just 8 3.5mm connectors, you could probably do the same level of sequencing with Yarns and a Live.
But then it wouldn't be an MPC and MPC's is mostly radical. Mostly. Srsly, it's nice to step away from the computer and make noises. Isn't that why most of us has modulards?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tandberg 45 years old (Made in Norway), I've not used it in years yet it worked perfectly first go yesterday.
I bought it off a lady on Ebay some years back she said it was her fathers pride and joy,
he would get it out every sunday clean it and then listen to it, i promised her it was going to a good home.
Planning to record Modular patches on it, although rather than straight to tape
maybe record to DAW first then to tape would be a safer option, we'll see.

Anyone else having the new rockband smily screw up your text entry window?

Open reel tape is rad. I miss my deck, just not the maintenance. Recording straight to it from the mixer and then sending that back to the DAW was heaven.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

It is so weird living in a world where even Musician's Friend is selling modules now. Owning a modular used to be such a dirty secret, and now here it is out in the open like a pervert with a trench coat.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just a hunch I've had for sometime that NI may provide their own solution, maybe a joint venture with Expert sleepers.
Maybe i could phone the airport and check how many flights Andrew Ostler had to Germany last year......
NI doesn't attend NAMM tho, do they? I know they weren't there last year, and I don't think they've had a presence in previous years.

That said, I agree with you that NI must be working on some kind of external device for Blocks, and I hope it arrives sometime this year since I'd prefer that over something like sacrificing rack space for the ES modules.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just browsing Musician's Friend's selection and found myself taking a closer look at this:

I'd ignored it in the past thinking it was just another sequencer. I didn't realize until just now that it was a sequencer, quad VCA, and quad decay envelopes. I'm kinda GASing for this as it's reminiscent of a Jupiter Storm/Galilean Moons combo but with an attached sequencer. Anyone got any experience with this?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's really a matter of workflow preference for me. I love working with my MPC 1000, especially in conjunction with my other hardware as a MIDI sequencer and clock brain. If I could easily now tie that to my modular as well, with the MPC sequencing and sampling functionality, that's a big win in my book. I personally, would likely rarely use it as anything in conjunction with the computer other than sending stuff out to my DAW to record. Of course, if I were to go down this route, I may discover the 2.0 software is legit and change my thinking at times.

Reaktor blocks, while cool, still require using a computer. While I do sometimes when using my modular, other than merely recording it - it's not something I really want to tie myself to. But I will give you that an option other than a MOTU interface or ES modules up the wazoo to open that up would probably be a good decision by NI.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
NI doesn't attend NAMM tho, do they?
Now that could be a sticking point
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Reaktor blocks, while cool, still require using a computer.
Agreed, and i am one of those who try to avoid my computer nowadays, however i still want to produce and thats where i can't avoid my computer but i do understand the MPC X will rid the computer.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Any Renoise users in here? Since I've been using it so much lately, I'm considering maybe Silent Way to go back to direct pitch-perfect control of the modular. I have concerns, though: With the way Renoise handles MIDI, there is no automatic delay/lag compensation. VST's seem to be perfect timing. My concern is whether or not Silent Way's timing with CV/gate will be in line with the audio or if delay compensation will fail here, too. I've debated using Rewire to bring Reaper into the mix and use it to handle Silent Way, but I fear there's a whole host of problems. Any modular users using Renoise got any input on this or another way they've found that works for them?
Old 10th January 2017
Another Morpheus video:
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict
Okay, so I'd really love your guys feedback here... As some of you know, I'm looking to finally start a system. Went to a local shop last night and came up with this list:

Endorphins.es Furthrrrr Generator
Makenoise Phonogene
Makenoise Erb-Verbe
Q-Bit Chord
Intellijel Linix
Sputnik keyboard
Doepfer A-106-6
Doepfer A-141-2
Doepfer 9u case w/ power

Still not 100% sure on the VCF or envelope/ADSR situation though, so might change those out... Also not 100% sure if to get the Chord or Sputnik keyboard... Looking to get an Obie TVS soon so I could use that as a controller instead... but might be nice to have the Sputnik in there for times I want to just take the case out and no extras... but it DOES take an entire row.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
uZeus owner here. Never seen any of the lights flashing on one before. When they get overpowered, they just power down. Which blue light is flashing?

Make sure you've got the red stripe oriented correctly on the module itself. Also, try plugging in just the filter with no other modules attached to the uZeus.
You were right. The guy had made up the cable the wrong way around as you can see from the photo. I then realised I could use the lead from my other module to check it and then a bit of DIY I managed to turn the connector end around. So all working fine now.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170110_193147.jpg  
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just browsing Musician's Friend's selection and found myself taking a closer look at this:

I'd ignored it in the past thinking it was just another sequencer. I didn't realize until just now that it was a sequencer, quad VCA, and quad decay envelopes. I'm kinda GASing for this as it's reminiscent of a Jupiter Storm/Galilean Moons combo but with an attached sequencer. Anyone got any experience with this?
I checked it out and considered pairing it with a Quantum Rainbow for a hot minute. Came to the conclusion that I have enough drum/percussion for now but it's on my "when I expand again" list.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
You were right. The guy had made up the cable the wrong way around as you can see from the photo. I then realised I could use the lead from my other module to check it and then a bit of DIY I managed to turn the connector end around. So all working fine now.
Your lucky, your board must have the diodes in to protect you putting the cable in the wrong way.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Great news! Now post demos or we shall ostracize you and call you names behind your back! (You dirty Jewel!)
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I checked it out and considered pairing it with a Quantum Rainbow for a hot minute. Came to the conclusion that I have enough drum/percussion for now but it's on my "when I expand again" list.
Kinda the same boat here in that I already have a few trigger sequencers and a bunch of percussion modules.... but I can't help but imagine this with modules like Akemie's Castle and the Piston Honda. She's on the wishlist now, that's for sure. It's funny because I have a Doepfer Quad Envelope, a Quad VCA, and a bunch of sequencers, so I could totally just do that already. ....but I want it.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

One day we will be free of this Eurocrack lark and spent our money on food, clothes and loved ones, but until then we must navagate a slippery road of lush & longing
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great news! Now post demos or we shall ostracize you and call you names behind your back! (You dirty Jewel!)
Lol. What is a dirty jewel? Some variation on crown jewels? It sounds amusingly dirty and offensive I might use that one on my manager! I'll get a little demo in of the JP8 then
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search