The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've neglected the hold part on the left - is this for the sub? I tried it a few times but just focused on layering a few waves. I've have to look at it again. What do you mean by sending them back in again? I see the CP3 is a mixer - just looked.

Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I've neglected the mix part. I've have to look at it again. What do you mean by sending them back in again?

Send for example a Square wave from OSC A and a Square wave from OSC B to an external mixer then send the external mixers output back into "IN" on Omikron, then send "Out" on Omiktron to a filter, now you can use the "Clean/Sub' knob to mix in the sub.
Ill check out that video tomorrow as I'm on my iPhone at the moment.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a little demo of trying out the Pittsburgh's. The sound quality of my phone is really good but still had the speaker facing the wall. I think you'll get the idea even though the audio is not perfect. I have the blade and sine going into Triatt and two subs into modumix then into channel C of Triatt. I first turn up attenuation on blade, add sine, then the subs and some simple modulation with envelope and LFO on the JP8 filter. I am really impressed so far. I will use the same patch on the OMIKRON tomorrow to see how it compares.

Sorry it's sideways. I spent about 30 minutes looking for a way to rotate video in google drive but no success.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...zBzM2JTZTNnTFE
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive just spent 2 hours patching, just finding how it works mixing (CP3) the two Oscillators then sending them back in and mixing in the Sub, up to now it sounds best with the Manhattan state variable filter in that path your getting 2x CP3 mixers
My Omikron sits right next to my DTM for just that sort of fun.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

My Ladik M-216 arrived today; My Analog Rytm has never been happier. Now I need to delve into Grids a bit more.

Yeah, they're single function, but those damn Ladik module are cheap as hell.
Old 12th May 2017
Monika Park wrote:
Quote:
pleased to announce the first in a series of music from outer space (MFOS) designs ported to eurorack- panel by clarke robinson, panel pcb by barcode, pcb design by ray wilson (RIP)--
enjoy!
mfos echo rockit euro
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-18342784_1909477819334669_1629165115037188976_n.jpg  
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
My Ladik M-216 arrived today; My Analog Rytm has never been happier. Now I need to delve into Grids a bit more.

Yeah, they're single function, but those damn Ladik module are cheap as hell.
So this allows you to trigger Analog Rytm from Grids or any other type of clock or sequencer. Interesting. I was just thinking yesterday I'd like to be able to trigger my Boss DR660 with BSP without having to go through computer and back out to midi box. You could also record Grids to Midi for editing which I thought could be interesting and was going to connect to my Roland digital drum set to do this, but of course I could also trigger that, and software Sounds full of interesting possibilities. I may have to explore this.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
So this allows you to trigger Analog Rytm from Grids or any other type of clock or sequencer. Interesting. I was just thinking yesterday I'd like to be able to trigger my Boss DR660 with BSP without having to go through computer and back out to midi box. You could also record Grids to Midi for editing which I thought could be interesting and was going to connect to my Roland digital drum set to do this, but of course I could also trigger that, and software Sounds full of interesting possibilities. I may have to explore this.
Yep, modular to Analog Rytm integration. If you do go down that route yourself, make sure you pick the right Ladik module. The M-216 is designed specifically for the AR and probably the Volca Beats. Each trigger goes to the same note on a seperate channel. They make a number of different, simple, Trigger to MIDI boxes asides from the M-216, one for the Machine Drum, and one for the Nord Drum and General MIDI mapping (probably the one you'd want).
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Grabbed a SynthTech E330 off a guy at muffs.. freaking SWEET sounding voice. Also finished building my Radio Music.

Now it's time to make some weirdness.
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Had my new case on order for around 2 months now... Last 2 weeks have been completely without a case, as I tried and failed to get them sold and bought roughly in sync. got a new Belgrad and a new Furthrrrr just sitting around, with no way of powering them. It's the grandmother of all itches you can't scratch.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

A little sound comparion of the waveforms of a Doepfer A110-1 VCO and a Theis VCO.

Last edited by acealive; 12th May 2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

The Omiktron sounds great so i thought id open mine up and see what is going on under the hood.

The first thing that shocked me was the fact the Op-Amps and flip flop are soldered straight to the PCB rather than put in sockets,
So if a Op-amp ever breaks it will be a nightmare to replace, Dreadbox you are a scrooge Sockets only cost $0.06 each from Tayda.

It contains very cheap op-amps
7 X TL074 ($0.26 each at Tayda)
1 X TL072 ($0.29 each at Tayda)
and 1 X CD4013BE Flip Flop chip ($0.29 each at Tayda)

Those 6 white capacitors are the cheapest you can possibly get ($0.08), 8 x mega cringe worthy ceramic caps that are cheaper than air ($0.01), the only expensive thing on the board is the 2 Red wima capacitors that come in at a massive $0.32 each. $0.30 would pay for all the resistors, the 4 big Suntan trimmers come in at a massive $0.28 each.

There is 2 Diodes near the Power so it is protected if you put your cable in the wrong way.

This is the Main board, the control board is just made up of a variety of Potentiometers/Toggle switches that can be found cheap at Tayda and a scattering of resistors, you'd be lucky if theres $30 worth of components on the whole module.

My verdict, Reminds me of the 1980's Roland Synths Roland also skimped by not using sockets on their chips and used the cheapest components available yet their synths sounded great.

Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Omiktron sounds great so i thought id open mine up and see what is going on under the hood.

The first thing that shocked me was the fact the Op-Amps and flip flop are soldered straight to the PCB rather than put in sockets,
So if a Op-amp ever breaks it will be a nightmare to replace, Dreadbox you are a scrooge Sockets only cost $0.06 each from Tayda.

Those 6 white capacitors are the cheapest you can possibly get ($0.08), 8 x mega cringe worthy ceramic caps that are cheaper than air ($0.01), the only expensive thing on the board is the 2 Red wima capacitors that come in at a massive $0.32 each. $0.30 would pay for all the resistors, the 4 big Suntan trimmers come in at a massive $0.28 each.

There is 2 Diodes near the Power so it is protected if you put your cable in the wrong way.

This is the Main board, the control board is just made up of a variety of Potentiometers/Toggle switches that can be found cheap at Tayda and a scattering of resistors, you'd be lucky if theres $30 worth of components on the whole module.

My verdict, Reminds me of the 1980's Roland Synths Roland also skimped by not using sockets on their chips and used the cheapest components available yet their synths sounded great.

Keep in mind those white caps may not all be in the audio path as well, so quality of caps there may not be _as big of_ a deal. I don't know that I've ever seen ICs soldered straight to the board though...that's pretty crazy.

Sometimes, the circuit design relies on the inconsistencies of those lower cost components to make the sounds it's good at.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Omiktron sounds great ...... Op-Amps and flip flop are soldered straight to the PCB rather than put in sockets, ...... Reminds me of the 1980's Roland Synths Roland also skimped by not using sockets ...... yet their synths sounded great.
sockets kill tone.
we've all heard crazier theories. I'll buy this one.
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

seriously this is the most intertesting thing I've read on GS since Uli cliamed the Mini Moog was only $200 in parts..
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Guru

Old 13th May 2017
Subscribe to Colin Benders youtube, watch live streams. That is all.
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Head

Hello Friends
My setup:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440558

My m32 is sitting outside the case.

How do I sync clocks so I can get some multi sequences firing, that are in time. Can't seem to understand how I would sync a A rene sequence with a m32 one . would that require me to get a clock generator/distributer thingy?
Or maybe it can be done with a couple mult-cables?
how would the patch look like?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 13th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Hello Friends
My setup:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440558

My m32 is sitting outside the case.

How do I sync clocks so I can get some multi sequences firing, that are in time. Can't seem to understand how I would sync a A rene sequence with a m32 one . would that require me to get a clock generator/distributer thingy?
Or maybe it can be done with a couple mult-cables?
how would the patch look like?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Use the assignable out on the mama as a clock. It's in the manual near the back. Mine isn't handy sorry.
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Use the assignable out on the mama as a clock. It's in the manual near the back. Mine isn't handy sorry.
AHA!!!! You are right! Thank you so much!
Old 14th May 2017
Quote:
Subscribe to Colin Benders youtube, watch live streams. That is all.
Had plans that fell through for today, so when this popped up I watched....all of it...live.

It is mostly performance but he actually stops at points to talk to the people in chat and answer questions. he even took suggestions on which way to go with the patch and got pretty deep into music theory at points. I'm hooked.
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Guru

ya Benders is a legend..
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Saturday jam. Pittsburghs n JP8 filter.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Eh5ZC1NazN4bDA
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
seriously this is the most intertesting thing I've read on GS since Uli cliamed the Mini Moog was only $200 in parts..
Yes its ironic how some on gearslutz will hammer Uli for using cheap components when in reality some of the greatest most desirable synths ever made were built with the cheapest components available.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Dual Oscillator fold thingy arrived on friday if you think the board looks busy you should see the other side
It came with a pre-programmed chip and 2 Tempco resistors.
No idea when ill have time to build it

Old 14th May 2017
Quote:
Yes its ironic how some on gearslutz will hammer Uli for using cheap components when in reality some of the greatest most desirable synths ever made were built with the cheapest components available.
Wasn't the original envelope on the Minimoog made out of a doorbell circuit from a hardware store? Pretty sure I read that.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wasn't the original envelope on the Minimoog made out of a doorbell circuit from a hardware store? Pretty sure I read that.
First time I've heard this but wouldn't doubt it.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
When you consider what a doorbell does - it's just a switch that plays a sound when pressed. In modular terms, press the bell and it sends a trigger, or gate to play a sample.

Obviously, an envelope generator is a bit more advanced than that, but the core concepts are similar.
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
When you consider what a doorbell does - it's just a switch that plays a sound when pressed. In modular terms, press the bell and it sends a trigger, or gate to play a sample.

Obviously, an envelope generator is a bit more advanced than that, but the core concepts are similar.

I knocked on my THC-addled gourd for a while and this fell out-

3:50
From doorbell to envelope generator in 30 minutes...
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
You only have to watch Marcus Fuller's teardown videos to see there is virtually nothing inside most synths, even some of the classics, the 101 and 303 in particular, when electronic musical instruments are mas made in Asia they deffo cost very little to produce in materials/parts.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search