The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Thing is I am looking to do things a little more deliberately now, self-generation is fun but I want to do more musical, song-based stuff too, so I need something different for that anyway.
Yea, I wanna go for a venetian snares's "Traditional Synthesizer Music"** kind of thing If I can manage to wrap my head around it. Already got the MD.

**(in approach not necessarily in sound)
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
yeah.. modules are expensive.. but that morpheus module is different than the filters in emu samplers/synths and more capable. it modulates in more planes than the filters in the sampler. it's something they were only able to do w/modern hardware. i think there is a blurb about it on their site somewhere or in one of those many video interviews he did.

but modular is that way ya know.. you pay to get the standalone thing w/CV control. there's no way for me to put an emu sampler from 20 years ago inside my modular

also, we're talking boutique instruments here. a 90s era emu sampler isn't a boutique thing. rossum isn't the emu of old. this is a small small company making a product for a market that is still pretty small compared to say.. guitar pedals.

not gonna disagree w/you on the price.. $500 for a filter (all be it a very capable filter that is basically a resonator, combfilter morphing eq etc) is steep and near the top of the price range.. but people pay more for analog designs from schippmann so it's not unheard of
All valid points. I can piss and moan about the price all I want, but the fact remains that I did buy it, so at least a part of me thought it was worth the money.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Do you know what those bendy patch cables are that stand upright. The OCDer in me is getting tired of looking at the cable mess and I'd like something neater and easier to use. I haven't seen anywhere searching or on my travels to buy.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Are you guys all bloody rich? Or do you spend every penny of your income?
Every last penny. No kids, live cheap, and spend everything. Leave none of it for the goobermint to take after I die!
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Yea, I wanna go for a venetian snares's "Traditional Synthesizer Music"** kind of thing If I can manage to wrap my head around it. Already got the MD.

**(in approach not necessarily in sound)
I think a lot of how he's doing his current bout of songwriting is in the fact that he switched to Renoise. Trackers let you sequence at the microscopic level very quickly. I think there's more control over his patches than would first appear.

...why can't we get him in here to do a guest forum spot? I'd love to pick his brain.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think a lot of how he's doing his current bout of songwriting is in the fact that he switched to Renoise. Trackers let you sequence at the microscopic level very quickly. I think there's more control over his patches than would first appear.

...why can't we get him in here to do a guest forum spot? I'd love to pick his brain.
well TSM is specifically the machinedrum (MD reference in my post) acting as a sort of master sequencer / clock via some midi to cv interface and then a bunch of different sequencers in modular, which is why I was bringing it up. I thought it was posted here on GS back when that album came out.

EDIT: oh your right, clocking with renoise, but MD still involved.

(not the article I was referring to, but...)
https://www.attackmagazine.com/featu...s-all-be-real/

Quote:
Is the setup you were using back then to make music pretty much the same as what you use now?

Pretty much. The way that record came about is I had this idea to do a Eurorack drum synth, that I was kind of gonna keep separate from my other modular stuff that I’d been using for years. What ended up happening is I put it where my other modular synth is so I could patch everything together. It occurred to me that I have all this stuff, so why separate it? Then I just started doing these tunes where it was like, I’m only gonna use this modular and see what I can get out of it. It was really a fun adventure to approach music like that. Like, I have this modular synth and all my sounds have to come out of this. No multi-tracking, no editing or whatever.

I saw a couple of the videos you did. Everything’s running in real time and you’re using Renoise as the clock, right?

Yeah, clocking with Renoise and recording into it.

What sequencers are you using?

I have an Elektron Machinedrum that’s sending MIDI out to the old Analogue Solutions MT-16 module, which is basically just MIDI to trig out – it just sends triggers. Those two things are perfect together because you can have 16 tracks on the Machinedrum and then 16 tracks on this thing. The Machinedrum can’t make sound any more, it just sends MIDI. That’s the main brain of it, and then the way I use that to clock other modules and sequencers within the modular. It’s pretty cool because you can send weird different clocks to sequencers. Doing that, you can start and stop the clocks of sequencers and modules.

So you can kind of shift them out of sync with each other?

Yeah, you could have the most basic sequencer that plays eight steps, but with the clocks you’re sending that you can make all these different phrases.
I was bringing up the MD because with song mode which is really powerful on the MD you can get pretty sophisticated with how you would send those 16 tracks of sequences to modular, then branch what the modular does from there.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
well TSM is specifically the machinedrum (MD reference in my post) acting as a sort of master sequencer / clock via some midi to cv interface and then a bunch of different sequencers in modular, which is why I was bringing it up. I thought it was posted here on GS back when that album came out.

Looks like you're right. I was so busy paying attention to Renoise and Eurocrack that I didn't notice the tabletop stuff.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like you're right. I was so busy paying attention to Renoise and Eurocrack that I didn't notice the tabletop stuff.
We both right, see my edits above
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
We both right, see my edits above
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Venetian snares. ������

Really like his album work and YouTube videos... But I saw him do an all modular performance last year and it was horrendous. Completely a tonal, arthymic and self indulgence to the max. A few bearded hipsters attempted to dance and even they gave up and went back to chin stroking and nodding. I left after about an hour of just drivel. And I can't recall ever walling out of a show ever before.

And this coming from someone who goes to experimental, drone and noise as well as Berlin School and techno modular performances on a monthly basis. I've heard weird music. I've heard bad music. But nothing prepared me for his performance.

Btw he's working on an album with Daniel Lanois and FWIW it sounds good! Facepalm.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

That's strange he would use MD MIDI to CV rather than just the Impulse machines to send triggers from the MD.

Interesting...
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
That's strange he would use MD MIDI to CV rather than just the Impulse machines to send triggers from the MD.

Interesting...
EDIT: oh wait no your right, midi to cv only turns those into trigs. Yea I've heard of people using the IMP machines with modular, good point.

Last edited by BenDayho; 10th May 2017 at 12:23 AM..
Old 10th May 2017
Quote:

Interesting...
He says why in the interview. The Machinedrum can’t make sound any more, it just sends MIDI. Sounds like it is broken...
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Interesting...
You only have a maximum of 6 trigger outputs using the impulse machines, while he's got 16 over midi to that AS module.

Also, apparently he found his other AS midi to trigger module, so now he's running two Machinedrums to two AS modules to run his rig. Madness.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I saw him do an all modular performance last year and it was horrendous. Completely a tonal, arthymic and self indulgence to the max. A few bearded hipsters attempted to dance and even they gave up and went back to chin stroking and nodding. I left after about an hour of just drivel. And I can't recall ever walling out of a show ever before.
I guess you didn't see this first? XD

I know I'm weird. I love the chaos.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
You only have a maximum of 6 trigger outputs using the impulse machines, while he's got 16 over midi to that AS module.

Also, apparently he found his other AS midi to trigger module, so now he's running two Machinedrums to two AS modules to run his rig. Madness.
That is actually kinda brilliant. Makes me want to try something like that with an MPC.
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Nut
I saw Venetian Snares at Bangface
Wasn't left impressed or unimpressed.
He just seemed to be rather bland somehow at that night.

Much preferred Squarepusher and Ceephax Acid Crew
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

New Disting firmware has dropped, 4.1 ... Audio recording, MIDI to CV, and CV to MIDI are the main new goodies.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
New Disting firmware has dropped, 4.1 ... Audio recording, MIDI to CV, and CV to MIDI are the main new goodies.
Why bother? Disting version 5 hardware will be out next week.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know what those bendy patch cables are that stand upright. The OCDer in me is getting tired of looking at the cable mess and I'd like something neater and easier to use. I haven't seen anywhere searching or on my travels to buy.
Oi you there! I decided to reply to myself. I was looking at these standy up cables for the Serge 'sturdy single core cable used for banana systems'. I guess I could try some DIY. mmm... can I be bothered still nice and I might give it a try, even my soldering skills could manage that.

I've pretty much been taken by these sturdier than standard floppies metallic ones:

The Modular Thread 2017FoMu Eurorack Metallic Braided Cables 25/50/80cm Pack of 5 | eBay

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?p=721726

And then I need a Bob hanger too Wouldn't this make a perfect bday or Xmas gift.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-serge-creature-nikon.jpg   The Modular Thread 2017-cables-bob.jpg  
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Noodle night and I just for the first time got all my oscillators running at the same time and trying out the new Pittsburghs. I just discovered a use for my Triatt to mix together my P's. This is already getting too much for me to follow though and just a basic patch with not much going on but still nice having three voices running at once. I need a re-think and re-design. I now see how the Triatt would be handy next to the P's. Gonna order a new set of 126hp rails as well for the overflow. I've also realised I need to take small steps and remember to breathe and not feel too overhwhelmed by it all. ohmmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170510_222451_v2.jpg  
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody else think it's annoying that the cost of TS 1/8" cables has skyrocketed the last couple years? Now stereo cables are a fraction of the cost and are way easier to find.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trying out the new Pittsburghs.
So what's the verdict?
Old 10th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
All valid points. I can piss and moan about the price all I want, but the fact remains that I did buy it, so at least a part of me thought it was worth the money.
i'd like one as well as the evolution filter. it sounds really great. borrowed one for a while and it's impressive.. the character and presence it has is unique.

the morpheus seems like it can do anything but is very source dependent. i'm ok w/that. i think a morphing EQ/resonator/filter etc w/sequenceable presets is something i'd like
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody else think it's annoying that the cost of TS 1/8" cables has skyrocketed the last couple years? Now stereo cables are a fraction of the cost and are way easier to find.
yup. and to top it soldering 1/8" is annoying.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what's the verdict?
I'll let you know as I'm yet to investigate deeply but first impressions the sine (very smooth) and triangle sound good, the blade I had a quick listen but nothing else yet and need to play with. I'm going to see if I can do a comparison to the OMIKRON but they do sound different, just not quite sure how.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Another new, interesting firmware drop, Kammerl Firmware V0.42 for Clouds.

Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

The Beef arrived

Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
The Beef arrived

That looks beefier and better than a shot of a kingsize hamburger. You should be in marketing
Liking your modular wall.

I was patching up my Pittsburgh and the two subs with sine and triangle is lovely. I am going to do a little demo comparison with Omikron but enough for tonight.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That looks beefier and better than a shot of a kingsize hamburger. You should be in marketing
Liking your modular wall.

I was patching up my Pittsburgh and the two subs with sine and triangle is lovely. I am going to do a little demo comparison with Omikron but enough for tonight.
Ive just spent 2 hours patching, just finding how it works mixing (CP3) the two Oscillators then sending them back in and mixing in the Sub, up to now it sounds best with the Manhattan state variable filter in that path your getting 2x CP3 mixers
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search