The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The A-160-2 doesn't do first tick. 4 is the 4th tick only. Like I said, if you wanted to do a 4 on the floor, you'd use the A-160-1 for the kick and A-160-2 for the snare.
May want to check the manual on that one because Doepfer's site says it's otherwise. There's a bunch of jumpers on the back, so it may be something in there causing it to wait until a later tick? Either way, I went ahead and grabbed one. It's cheap and even if it can't do what I want it to, I could always use musical division right now. I still plan to get an RCD later on and after combing the manual, that one is switchable between counting upbeats and downbeats.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Don't have one myself, but I've definitely been tempted. A lite version is built into the Synthesizer Box, and the Blade waveform is awesome. Basically a sawtooth you can PWM like on an AX60. Sounds wicked awesome.
Thanks. The blade waveform does sound interesting. I spent a bit too much than I wanted on these but still about 80% cheaper than new (since the prices hike). I only meant to buy one on ebay but got carried away oops.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Doepfer A-160/A-161 are super useful even if you don't use them for standard clocking duties. More often, I'll use them as an extra step sequencer when my A-155 is tied up, or as an audio divider to create perfectly in tune sub-octaves of my carrier VCO to use as modulators for quick and easy linear FM purposes.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, I'd like your advice. I'd like to get rid rid of modules I don't really use or don't like. I want to be firm and pare down what I have so it will be easier to concentrate patching with less.

I just got a couple of Pittsburgh's and am liking the idea (and the look) of how these go with the Omikron. The first row is my keepers and the second I mostly like, the third I am thinking of getting rid of.

I love AMsynths JP8 filter and running this through the Polaris is heaven Theta LFO I like and got for a good price. Dual ADSR has now taken over from Peaks as my go to ADSR but still like Peaks. Veils I like and mostly use as just a mixer than VCA but it serves this purpose well. Ultrafold - I love the character and distortion I get from it, really adds something extra. Modemix, and uVCA have their uses. Triatt I didn't get anything special out of but think this is because I don't know what advantages I can get out of using it yet.

The Disting I tried and only found the delay that I thought was okay. The menu is confusing and not intuitive but I will explore it when I want to find out its other features I don't understand like precision adder and might get around to using the SD audio playback at some point.

I have reservations about Tides, as I prefer Maths for modulation but will try Parasites and Sheep firmware to see what this gets me.

Grids - I like the natural rhythms I get from it that I would never think of programming but really I prefer to write my own rhythms to fit with a track so I'm thinking I'm going to connect to my drum set trigger inputs and record all the variations into a midi track and sell. I think the thing is it's not easy to control what I want - I never managed to get a standard 4/4 beat out of it.

Polivoks filter has a good bass sound but doesnt get used against JP8 and Polaris.

VCADSR I have only ever used for JP8 filter modulation, which I wrongly bough it for thinking of a built synth architecture, and thought it was okay but I never liked the feel of the knobs. I haven't explored this properly and will have a go but usability is important and I don't use it.

Warps I never liked the sound of and don't have any need to crossfade signals, vocoder or ring modulation. This is the one module I never really got. Every time I try to use it I just don't like the sound of what it does.

I think essentially my set up and personal preference is towards subtractive synthesis and making nice voices than experimental noise, blips n drones (sacrilege I hear some say), and this is what I want my modular to be.

Pamelas and Penrose are there for when I want to start exploring generative patches but have yet to do so, and for now just doing subtractive synthesis is enough for me to focus on.

Would love to hear your advice on this and if you might think otherwise.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/421527

Thread here has some interesting ideas for using Triatt with Maths
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi....php?p=1708857
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
May want to check the manual on that one because Doepfer's site says it's otherwise. There's a bunch of jumpers on the back, so it may be something in there causing it to wait until a later tick? Either way, I went ahead and grabbed one. It's cheap and even if it can't do what I want it to, I could always use musical division right now. I still plan to get an RCD later on and after combing the manual, that one is switchable between counting upbeats and downbeats.
I use both the A-160 and A-160-2 in *every* patch. In fact, they're essentially perma-patched in my system. The only jumper that I know of on the A-160 is trigger vs. gate. It's in gate mode by default (at least mine was) and I haven't changed anything. The A-160-2 replaces the jumpers with a switch on the panel.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use both the A-160 and A-160-2 in *every* patch. In fact, they're essentially perma-patched in my system. The only jumper that I know of on the A-160 is trigger vs. gate. It's in gate mode by default (at least mine was) and I haven't changed anything. The A-160-2 replaces the jumpers with a switch on the panel.
A-160-2 has six jumpers.

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A160_2_jumper.pdf
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Lot of words
For Tides, Sheep is pretty swell, but don't forget to try the standard OS at audio rate. That to me is where it shines because of its waveshaping capabilities. Parasites doesn't add too much to Tides, but it does allow the waveforms to be pushed a little further as well.

Grids does have a standard four-on-the-floor buried in there somewhere. Honestly, I hated that one for ages myself until I found out about how Venetian Snares uses his Grids; Try firing some burst clocks into it and have it trigger little percussive elements. Since then, I've also had a lot of fun using Grids to ping melodic elements as well like the SMR. Grids I think isn't great for its intended purpose, but for everything else, it's a lot of fun.

Why is VCO-Sub on the chopping block? It's one of my favorite oscillators (really beefy sounding) so I'm always surprised to see someone moving it. Do you think the Pitts outperforms it that drastically?

For Warps, try Parasites on it. The ability to get in deep with each effect rather than just pass it by and do minor tweaks really opens it up and makes it less of a one-trick pony. It mostly does angry very well, but it's got some gentleness hiding in it as well. Also, try it with drums. It gets really weird and fun.

Speaking of alternate operating systems though, I know it's on your keeper list, but don't forget to try Dead Man's Catch on Peaks. It makes it very convoluted to navigate, but it has a lot of really cool functions onboard.
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post

I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
Colin,

My compliments! In my opinion, so much of the modular (and other) music being made today lacks actual musicality. Rhythm, harmony, chord structure, counterpoint... yours has it all. It's music like this that I want to make, and to dance to.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So as much as I love sequencing on my Octatrack and as useful as having my modular synced to a DAW I am missing the old days of the smaller case, when I was making all "in the case" productions. Plus the combined rigs would be way too much to take out of the house the way it is now. I'd like to get the box back to "standalone" status again.

In the past, the idea was that I would hold off on buying "control" and sequencer type modules until I got the base case. The base case is a long way off, and I'm not convinced I'll ever want to grow my system that big. My GAS for modules has deflated proportionate to my experience with the format, as in more focused purchases, no "I'll get the better one later" mentality etc.

After going back and forth with @fiddlestickz's game of "next three modules" I realized I didn't know what I really wanted. I have a few ideas about voices I might pick up in the future (Freak, Atlantis) but I basically figured out I need a sequencer. A sequencer to be the "brains" of the operation the way I use my OT and my DAW. A couple of main features I am looking for-

1. Enter notes live from my QuNexus.

2. More than one track, hopefully at least 4 but 8 wouldn't kill me either.

3. Ease of use- Obviously it would have some sort of display but I would prefer as little menu diving as possible.

4. Straightforward "normal" sequencing. Weirdo sequencers are awesome but I need a "main brain" more as I have a Turing Machine, Grids, and Peaks to do weird stuff already.

5. Must be a Eurorack module. Non-negotiable. I already have sufficient sequencing outside of the case.

6. No budget limit (within reason), 114 hp free right now.

If there is anything out there that behaves like an Elektron that vaguely fits that description it would pretty much win. If there is anyone out there who can build me an Elektron Euromachine (octatrack sequencing in a module) I would pay dearly.

Help me get back in the case!
Digging up an old post here, but I had been doing some thinking about your conundrum. The issue you're having is that when you had a smaller case and sequenced inside that case, you were more productive and enjoyed your songs more. What were you sequencing with back then? Maybe the real issue is that you're just not as happy with a larger system and it's time to (heresy incoming) scale back?
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Digging up an old post here, but I had been doing some thinking about your conundrum. The issue you're having is that when you had a smaller case and sequenced inside that case, you were more productive and enjoyed your songs more. What were you sequencing with back then? Maybe the real issue is that you're just not as happy with a larger system and it's time to (heresy incoming) scale back?

Yes and no. Back then I "sequenced" with a Turing machine Mk1 expanded with Voltages and Pulses. I Added Bytes and Mounted them all together on a Magpie faceplate and it never worked again. It's just sitting on a shelf (with my EMW T-Drum) since I can't get anyone to fix it for me.

Thing is I am looking to do things a little more deliberately now, self-generation is fun but I want to do more musical, song-based stuff too, so I need something different for that anyway.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For Tides, Sheep is pretty swell, but don't forget to try the standard OS at audio rate. That to me is where it shines because of its waveshaping capabilities. Parasites doesn't add too much to Tides, but it does allow the waveforms to be pushed a little further as well.

Grids does have a standard four-on-the-floor buried in there somewhere. Honestly, I hated that one for ages myself until I found out about how Venetian Snares uses his Grids; Try firing some burst clocks into it and have it trigger little percussive elements. Since then, I've also had a lot of fun using Grids to ping melodic elements as well like the SMR. Grids I think isn't great for its intended purpose, but for everything else, it's a lot of fun.

Why is VCO-Sub on the chopping block? It's one of my favorite oscillators (really beefy sounding) so I'm always surprised to see someone moving it. Do you think the Pitts outperforms it that drastically?

For Warps, try Parasites on it. The ability to get in deep with each effect rather than just pass it by and do minor tweaks really opens it up and makes it less of a one-trick pony. It mostly does angry very well, but it's got some gentleness hiding in it as well. Also, try it with drums. It gets really weird and fun.

Speaking of alternate operating systems though, I know it's on your keeper list, but don't forget to try Dead Man's Catch on Peaks. It makes it very convoluted to navigate, but it has a lot of really cool functions onboard.
Ah... I'm just trying to lose some stuff. The VCO-sub I did quite like but not as nice sounding as the OMIKRON, it sounded a bit muddy. I'll have another play. The Pittsburghs I only bought yesterday and will arrive this week so don't know yet but liked this demo. I played around with Dead Man's catch before and didn't much get what it was doing like Turing Machine emulation n Bouncing Ball etc. - I guess just not my thing. I'm more just into making nice voices. Maybe I'm just not there yet. I will try Sheep and what you said about Grids sounds interesting. And no love for Doepfer VCADSR or Polivoks filter so they will go. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJCDXAT3dmM

I was thinking just the other day my reason for getting into modular is really old school - John Carpenter and a Moog Modular III from Halloween.
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Ah... I'm just trying to lose some stuff. The VCO-sub I did quite like but not as nice sounding as the OMIKRON, it sounded a bit muddy. I'll have another play. The Pittsburghs I only bought yesterday and will arrive this week so don't know yet but liked this demo. I played around with Dead Man's catch before and didn't much get what it was doing like Turing Machine emulation n Bouncing Ball etc. - I guess just not my thing. I'm more just into making nice voices. Maybe I'm just not there yet. I will try Sheep and what you said about Grids sounds interesting. And no love for Doepfer VCADSR or Polivoks filter so they will go. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJCDXAT3dmM
I'll give you a couple ideas to try and check out.

Try Tides -> Ultrafold -> Warps (in folder mode) - > VCA. This should give you something akin to electric guitar distorted tones. The parasites harmonic oscillator will work too. If your liking it, might want to compare Tides with Braids. Definitely not subtractive.

Try Warps as an oscillator (select the non-Parasite mode if you have parasites loaded). Layer it with another oscillator tuned to the same 1/V like this: Send your 1/V into the Level 1 input. Send the Aux output into a mixer with the other oscillator. Send the output of the mixer into Warps input#2. Tap the 1&2 output into a VCF&VCA. Adjust knobs or CV to taste.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
I'll give you a couple ideas to try and check out.

Try Tides -> Ultrafold -> (in folder mode) - > VCA. This should give you something akin to electric guitar distorted tones. The parasites harmonic oscillator will work too. If your liking it, might want to compare Tides with Braids. Definitely not subtractive.

Try Warps as an oscillator (select the non-Parasite mode if you have parasites loaded). Layer it with another oscillator tuned to the same 1/V like this: Send your 1/V into the Level 1 input. Send the Aux output into a mixer with the other oscillator. Send the output of the mixer into Warps input#2. Tap the 1&2 output into a VCF&VCA. Adjust knobs or CV to taste.
Thanks for your help. I have never thought of using Warps or Tides as an oscillator, I guess because I like the OMIKRON so much. I need you guys as modular tutors!
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never had to change them, so never looked. Edit: Tempted to post a video to clarify .. So I did. Left is A-160 and right is A-160-2. Both are in gate mode so I don't have to pull the A-160 to change jumpers. Second and third lights down on both shows the relationship pretty clearly.

On a different subject, I've had the TINRS Tuesday for about a week ... Damn, those Saiko algorithms are fun. I'd post something but I'm waiting for a few new cables to come to complete my new routing config. The way the Tuesday is rigged with an accent pairs well with a CV switch like the to toggle between different VCO's. Throw in a few more of my favorite toys like a Disting in precision adder mode paired with a Turing and some euclidean rhythm stuff and it's total generative techno.

I just need my last few toys to arrive, a Doepfer A-182-1 for mutes, a Ladik m-216 so Grids can trigger the , and the ER-301 for samples and I think I'll have my dream machine complete.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Doepfer A-160-1 divides starting on the on the first beat. For example, the 16th division with output on the first tick, then the 16th tick. The A-160-2 does "musical" divisions, think putting a snare drum on 2 and 4. That's why I have both. Sounds like you're looking for something like the A-160-1.
I think it's more the reset that I have an issue with. The reset will happen on the next clock after the trigger is sent to it. If I send a reset on the first clock of a sequence, all of the divisions are exactly one clock off. It seems that it needs another clock tick after the reset to get the tempo. Other than that quirk I love the A160-2. The prime and sequential modes are great for creating polyrhythmic patterns.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
Tuning individual modules doesn't confuse me so much (as long as it's a 'regular' oscillator, I got rid of a Telharmonic because I found trying to tune it frustrating).

I'd like to see his process for tuning them in conjunction with his various sequencers and quantizers though.

The Telharmonic is a bitch to tune. It really lacks a fine tuning knob which compounded with the difficulty of tuning three notes at once makes it really difficult. I've toyed with the idea of getting rid of it but it was my first exotic VCO and I have a weird attachment to it.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I think it's more the reset that I have an issue with. The reset will happen on the next clock after the trigger is sent to it. If I send a reset on the first clock of a sequence, all of the divisions are exactly one clock off. It seems that it needs another clock tick after the reset to get the tempo. Other than that quirk I love the A160-2. The prime and sequential modes are great for creating polyrhythmic patterns.
What are you resetting it with, or comparing the patterns against? I'm using Yarns and everything is spot on (as shown in the video). If you're comparing it against something like a Metro, the Metro has some reset options which could make it seems a beat out of sync.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are you resetting it with, or comparing the patterns against? I'm using Yarns and everything is spot on (as shown in the video). If you're comparing it against something like a Metro, the Metro has some reset options which could make it seems a beat out of sync.
BSP - I have one of the drum triggers dedicated to sending a reset trigger on the last step of the sequence. If I do it that way everything is spot on.
Old 9th May 2017
Quote:
I'll test my QCD and see if it does what you are asking.
So with Gate out of Mama-32 (one-note sequence) going to clock in of QCD (set to "=", when I press start on the Mama the QCD fires off a trig on the very first tick but then does its calculation after that seemingly, so with a four on the floor beat you get-

1 x x x the first run through and then-
1 x 1 x the second and going forward, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So with Gate out of Mama-32 (one-note sequence) going to clock in of QCD (set to "=", when I press start on the Mama the QCD fires off a trig on the very first tick but then does its calculation after that seemingly, so with a four on the floor beat you get-

1 x x x the first run through and then-
1 x 1 x the second and going forward, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.
Awesome. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Went a little overboard today:

I know I don't really need more filters, but Z-Plane filters are the best part of E-Mu synths, and the FIL2 is one that I'd been curious about for a long time because the demos make it sound really sinister, but I didn't want to plop down $250 for it. I figure the $170 I paid for it is fair.

Last edited by Derp; 9th May 2017 at 05:44 PM..
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
BSP - I have one of the drum triggers dedicated to sending a reset trigger on the last step of the sequence. If I do it that way everything is spot on.
That's probably it. Yarns sends a reset gate when there's no MIDI clock coming in so my first beat is alway my first tick. There's no elegant way I know of to replicate that with the BSP as a master clock save what you're already doing.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Something a bit more practical:

I've still gotta get the breakout module, but at least I've got half the equation now.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Went a little overboard today:

I know I don't really need more filters, but Z-Plane filters are the best part of E-Mu synths, and the FIL2 is one that I'd been curious about for a long time because the demos make it sound really sinister, but I didn't want to plop down $250 for it. I figure the $170 I paid for it is fair.
I keep coming back to the Morpheus. I really want to work on my stereo field and that thing looks like it would be easy to create really wide synth parts. I just don't have 18 HP to spare unless I want to drag my old Cell 90s back into the mix. Not to mention the price tag. I've been really impressed with what I've heard of it though. I'll be curious to hear how you get on with it.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I keep coming back to the Morpheus. I really want to work on my stereo field and that thing looks like it would be easy to create really wide synth parts. I just don't have 18 HP to spare unless I want to drag my old Cell 90s back into the mix. Not to mention the price tag. I've been really impressed with what I've heard of it though. I'll be curious to hear how you get on with it.
Yeah, I was really hesitant about Morpheus as well. That price tag sucks, especially considering you can an E-Mu Morpheus, ESI-4000, e4XT Ultra, Orbit 9090, or any of a dozen other E-Mu products with z-plane filters for the price. Got it secondhand, so a little cheaper, but not much. I'm expecting this thing to butter my toast for the price.
Old 9th May 2017
Quote:
Yeah, I was really hesitant about Morpheus as well. That price tag sucks, especially considering you can an E-Mu Morpheus, ESI-4000, e4XT Ultra, Orbit 9090, or any of a dozen other E-Mu products with z-plane filters for the price. Got it secondhand, so a little cheaper, but not much. I'm expecting this thing to butter my toast for the price.
Hopefully it will milk the damn cow for that money.
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
yeah.. modules are expensive.. but that morpheus module is different than the filters in emu samplers/synths and more capable. it modulates in more planes than the filters in the sampler. it's something they were only able to do w/modern hardware. i think there is a blurb about it on their site somewhere or in one of those many video interviews he did.

but modular is that way ya know.. you pay to get the standalone thing w/CV control. there's no way for me to put an emu sampler from 20 years ago inside my modular

also, we're talking boutique instruments here. a 90s era emu sampler isn't a boutique thing. rossum isn't the emu of old. this is a small small company making a product for a market that is still pretty small compared to say.. guitar pedals.

not gonna disagree w/you on the price.. $500 for a filter (all be it a very capable filter that is basically a resonator, combfilter morphing eq etc) is steep and near the top of the price range.. but people pay more for analog designs from schippmann so it's not unheard of
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Just seen an Omikron going for £240, so hit buy, it was rude not to
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you guys all bloody rich? Or do you spend every penny of your income?
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Just seen an Omikron going for £240, so hit buy, it was rude not to
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Save the giant coarse tuning knobs that I managed to accidentally hit during complex patching (I need to move my Omikron to the top row), it's my go to VCO right now.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search