The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Now you're claiming to have played with one? And how long ago in the past, since it just came out...

Look, here is my final statement on the matter, because as I already mentioned, this is getting ridiculous. The issue I am having specifically with you (and only on this particular matter as normally, I'm fine with you and your posts in general) is that you haven't dealt at all with my actual points regarding the issue at hand...

Specifically, the person who started this mess on muffs who wondered out loud that if the Morphagene was quantized (which had yet to be determined at that point) then it would be impossible to do BoC-tpe wobble. I responded saying that no that is wrong, you can definitely get that analog wobble thing happening and I then proceeded to do a test to show this. And I even got a response from others saying "oh, that does sound good, but can you now do a test where you input just a single note into it, then slowly move the Varispeed" and my response to that was, NO, because that's not how I or anyone else would actually use this in real life! I'm not going to waste time nitpicking silly little things on a module when it is working exactly as it should!

But that was enough for you to get triggered and claim that the module is broke, and is unusable and now Make Noise is lying because either it's always quantized or not, but it can't be both or mixed messages or something, etc., blah blah blah all the while admitting you had never used it... until now, where you are claiming here that you have all of a sudden used it in the post and today. And that's bull! But even if it's true, how about my test? Wasn't that enough to show that it can work exactly as it should? to sound as close to a tape emulation as possible (in terms of being able to smoothly slow it down, reverse it, scrub it, wobble it, etc.) and if you want it to be any closer, buy a f*cking tape deck!!!

But I know you will ignore those facts above and just react to my post by continually arguing that you have a right to complain based on hearsay... and this is why I should have known better to engage, because all I really ever try to do is be helpful, but half the time it just devolves into stupid arguments because... internetz. And it is all my fault, I should have learned my lesson by now and been more like Devine; just post his videos and move on, no answering questions, no trying to be helpful, no discussion at all (he's smart for doing that, because he never gets sucked into any of this stuff.) So I just got to remember... be more like Devine.
Don't sweat this... You are already Divine!
Old 7th May 2017
The only drama free thread on gearslutz is officially ruined. I'll be back in a month or so. Maybe. In the meantime I'll be sad that my favorite well is poisoned
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
So it's also a CV recorder..? the Doepfer module I mean..?
no. halfway in the video, I plug in a cable to the CV input of the A160-5 and it receives CV from a sequencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Sounds like you had an enjoyable Samstag Morgen! Thanks for sharing it with us!
(...)
Curiously, though, your A-160-5 sounds more vintage than mine.
thank you for watching !
haha, I kind of prefer the black Doepfer modules to the grey ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
that was great!
thank you for your kind comment !
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
You're right! But in terms of costs and space ( 30HP )...
Maybe the idea of Derp, using TipTop only to play back our previous samples, should be the best. So first sampling and manipulate with Kurz ( it would be better with E-mu ) then put it all in TipTop to a creative use through our patches.
I'd still recommend looking into the Disting. One shot, clocked, and 1v/o. Also, sampling is in beta.I haven't payed with the One yet, but the two Distings I have cover my needs until my ER-301 ships.
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

I just picked up a couple of Pittsburgh Waveforms oscillators for quite a good price. From what I read they seem good. Are these the same oscillators as the Lifeforms module? Does anyone have these? What do you think?
Old 7th May 2017
< moderator message - some posts deleted - oinkbanana and genshi please have these discussions via PM? thanks >
Old 7th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The only drama free thread on gearslutz is officially ruined. I'll be back in a month or so. Maybe. In the meantime I'll be sad that my favorite well is poisoned
< you can come back the sky is blue again >
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I just picked up a couple of Pittsburgh Waveforms oscillators for quite a good price. From what I read they are good. Does anyone have these? What do you think?
Ive got the synth box i think they're from the same family although you will have more options. Mine has a couple of really nice sweet spots but dare not touch it after finding them as mearly breathing on it sends it out of tune
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Guru

It would be nice if Colin benders could come on and answer some questions about how he sets up for his pieces, I'm often stunned at how organic and fluid they are it would nice to know how he goes about things, I see so many macbeth oscillators and filters I think in his case be nice to talk about what his fav ones are etc..

Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be nice if Colin benders could come on and answer some questions about how he sets up for his pieces, I'm often stunned at how organic and fluid they are it would nice to know how he goes about things, I see so many macbeth oscillators and filters I think in his case be nice to talk about what his fav ones are etc..

He's got a couple of videos where he explains his process while setting up a patch. Problem is, they're 2 hours long and usually it takes hime a couple minutes to get into it.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
He's got a couple of videos where he explains his process while setting up a patch. Problem is, they're 2 hours long and usually it takes hime a couple minutes to get into it.
yeah right I didn't see those, I listen to loads of his vids while reading and they take me places mentally, but I've not come across the ones where he talks through the patches I'll have to look closer at his chan..
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah right I didn't see those, I listen to loads of his vids while reading and they take me places mentally, but I've not come across the ones where he talks through the patches I'll have to look closer at his chan..
The video he posted on this thread a few days ago.. I can totally comprehend someone doing that in a DAW/sequencer with a bunch of pre-programmed stuff. But doing it live on a modular? I can barely comprehend how he makes that stuff work.. can't quite wrap my head around it.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I just picked up a couple of Pittsburgh Waveforms oscillators for quite a good price. From what I read they seem good. Are these the same oscillators as the Lifeforms module? Does anyone have these? What do you think?
Don't have one myself, but I've definitely been tempted. A lite version is built into the Synthesizer Box, and the Blade waveform is awesome. Basically a sawtooth you can PWM like on an AX60. Sounds wicked awesome.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Got a clock division question: Do any clock dividers output signal on the first tick? My Zlob won't output signal until it's counted off (like if you're using the divide by four function, it outputs 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 instead of 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. I'd like something where the divisions are a little more even and want to know if this is something other dividers can do or if this is unique to the Zlob. Thanks!
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Got a clock division question: Do any clock dividers output signal on the first tick? My Zlob won't output signal until it's counted off (like if you're using the divide by four function, it outputs 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 instead of 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. I'd like something where the divisions are a little more even and want to know if this is something other dividers can do or if this is unique to the Zlob. Thanks!
I'll test my QCD and see if it does what you are asking.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
The video he posted on this thread a few days ago.. I can totally comprehend someone doing that in a DAW/sequencer with a bunch of pre-programmed stuff. But doing it live on a modular? I can barely comprehend how he makes that stuff work.. can't quite wrap my head around it.
I'd particularly be interested in some detail about how he goes about tuning all of it. I'm suppose it's dead simple and I'm just dense, but tuning eurorack with various combinations of oscillators and sequencers I find quite difficult and confusing.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
I'd particularly be interested in some detail about how he goes about tuning all of it. I'm suppose it's dead simple and I'm just dense, but tuning eurorack with various combinations of oscillators and sequencers I find quite difficult and confusing.
During one of the live streams someone asked him about tuning and he said he just uses a hand held guitar tuner...

I am pretty sure I saw him plugging one of the modules into a handheld guitar tuner to adjust the tuning of a module during one of his streaming performances.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
During one of the live streams someone asked him about tuning and he said he just uses a hand held guitar tuner...

I am pretty sure I saw him plugging one of the modules into a handheld guitar tuner to adjust the tuning of a module during one of his streaming performances.
Tuning individual modules doesn't confuse me so much (as long as it's a 'regular' oscillator, I got rid of a Telharmonic because I found trying to tune it frustrating).

I'd like to see his process for tuning them in conjunction with his various sequencers and quantizers though.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The A160-2 is off too but doesn't require going through the whole cycle. It's essentially off by one clock the way I see it. What I have to do to get divisions on the down beat of the one is send a reset on the last clock of a sequence. When you send a reset, all of the divisions fire and after that the triggers are in the right place. It's kind of annoying because it means either not relying on the clock divider for the first run of a sequence or starting the sequence on the last step.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The A160-2 is off too but doesn't require going through the whole cycle. It's essentially off by one clock the way I see it. What I have to do to get divisions on the down beat of the one is send a reset on the last clock of a sequence. When you send a reset, all of the divisions fire and after that the triggers are in the right place. It's kind of annoying because it means either not relying on the clock divider for the first run of a sequence or starting the sequence on the last step.
That's where I'm running into issues with the Zlob is that after reset, the divisions don't fire until you get to the count, so they won't fire off all at once until it's wrapped around in the cycle.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
After playing with it more, I'm convinced it is the highest quality piece of gear that I own period. The sound has no "fetters" to it. Kinda like the difference between plugging the guitar straight into the amp compared to through an 80's DOD pedal or something. It sounds more alive and sparkly but simultaneously heavy and darker than all my other synths/oscillators. Reminds me of the Minimoog in that way. Can't wait to get the Grand Terminal and the expander.
How you getting on with your furthrrrr?

Any new demos?

Might be getting one
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
How you getting on with your furthrrrr?

Any new demos?

Might be getting one
Got sick right after I made the first little demo, been laid up with fever and fluid-filled lungs. Since I haven't been in music-making spirits, I have been rearranging and cleaning the studio. Everything's getting hooked back up today so more on the Furthrrrr coming soon. I have a feeling it is going to be my "number one guy".

Old 8th May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Got sick right after I made the first little demo, been laid up with fever and fluid-filled lungs. Since I haven't been in music-making spirits, I have been rearranging and cleaning the studio. Everything's getting hooked back up today so more on the Furthrrrr coming soon. I have a feeling it is going to be my "number one guy".
Damn - I'm glad you're feeling better now. Looking forward to demos
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

I was asking which Moog-like filter is good in Eurorack for affordable price and a member sold me his Raging Bull DIY.
I must say I like it a lot so far. I have not made up my mind about the resonance behaviour, though.
But this Bull has balls. Very powerful and with some nice sweetspots.
Not sure if it is entirely what I was looking for, so will try out the A108 as well to see if it has more creamy sounds.
Ah well, a variety of Filters is always good to have

I will make some Audio demos of the Raging Bull during the week.

Last edited by acealive; 8th May 2017 at 07:57 PM..
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Doepfer A-160-1 divides starting on the on the first beat. For example, the 16th division with output on the first tick, then the 16th tick. The A-160-2 does "musical" divisions, think putting a snare drum on 2 and 4. That's why I have both. Sounds like you're looking for something like the A-160-1.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Addict

#expertsleepersslutz

finally added ESX-8MD, machinedrum and biscuit locked to DAW clock as tight as possible

Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The Doepfer A-160-1 divides starting on the on the first beat. For example, the 16th division with output on the first tick, then the 16th tick. The A-160-2 does "musical" divisions, think putting a snare drum on 2 and 4. That's why I have both. Sounds like you're looking for something like the A-160-1.
So just confirming the A-160-2 doesn't output on the first tick, then? Because specwise, that looks like what I'd want to get since it theoretically does both musical and structural division. This graphic makes it look like it can:

Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So just confirming the A-160-2 doesn't output on the first tick, then? Because specwise, that looks like what I'd want to get since it theoretically does both musical and structural division. This graphic makes it look like it can:

The A-160-2 doesn't do first tick. 4 is the 4th tick only. Like I said, if you wanted to do a 4 on the floor, you'd use the A-160-1 for the kick and A-160-2 for the snare.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I remember there is a clock divider that gives you the option of musical and non-musical division but I cannot recall which one, damn my memory is not what it used to be

The ADE32 gives you the option to apply a clock division change as you move the knob or at the beginning of the next bar... maybe a solution for some.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I remember there is a clock divider that gives you the option of musical and non-musical division but I cannot recall which one, damn my memory is not what it used to be

The ADE32 gives you the option to apply a clock division change as you move the knob or at the beginning of the next bar... maybe a solution for some.
Pamela's and Tempi will do both, and I've been tempted from time to time, but I like have all those outputs on the A-160 series.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search