The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 5th May 2017
  #3421
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
I released another all-modular EP today. Kind of "pretty", this one. Stream it from here if you'd like to check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/user-69083183...15-laserost-st

Feedback much welcomed!
Put it on Bandcamp! I'd happily pay a dollar for that!
1
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3422
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

You rock Colin
Old 5th May 2017
  #3423
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Anyone that has both this and a DPO care to compare? I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the two, but Slaughtr's description of it is making me consider wishlisting the Furthrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...=asc&start=100

Here you are sir!
Old 5th May 2017
  #3424
Gear Addict
 
TMT75's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post


I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
Fantastic btw!
Vet gaaf !
Old 5th May 2017
  #3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Put it on Bandcamp! I'd happily pay a dollar for that!
Hey, awesome! It is actually on Bandcamp. Here's the link:

https://molthe.bandcamp.com/album/laserost

Oh, and Colin Benders - your Youtube channel is amazing! In complete awe over those videos of yours. Incredibly inspiring.
1
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3426
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
Hey, awesome! It is actually on Bandcamp. Here's the link:

https://molthe.bandcamp.com/album/laserost
It is mine now. Mine.
3
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It is mine now. Mine.
Thanks a lot, man, really appreciate it!
1
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3428
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post


I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
The man, the myth, the legend, here with the slutz. Love your channel, and this was a fantastic remix!
Old 5th May 2017
  #3429
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
I released another all-modular EP today. Kind of "pretty", this one. Stream it from here if you'd like to check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/user-69083183...15-laserost-st

Feedback much welcomed!
Great stuff, and your song names make me really want to go to Ikea!

Loved Risk fri fisk and Tar det pent!

Well done!
3
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3430
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post


I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
I've always wondered why people build racks like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/270123
or https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/218680
So I have to ask, why?
Old 5th May 2017
  #3431
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I've always wondered why people build racks like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/270123
So I have to ask, why?
hah! Totally forgot I have all my racks public... alright this is somewhat of a long term project I´m working on. Now this one does not particularly make any sense whatsoever, but with a whole bunch of oscs, VCA´s, filters and mixers, I basically have enough for a whole bunch of voices. about 20, going by the way I usually patch stuff.

Looking at it now I would not be so random with TZVCO´s and those filters, rather I´d probably go for strictly precision VCO´s and multimode filters. Guess I was deciding how much space I would need for what I had in mind.

anyway, I always have piles of ridiculous projects scribbled down in weird places. this is one of em (but might still happen some day)


EDIT
same goes for the other case you linked (guess you edited while I was posting).
but basically these are part of an early stage plan for an electrosymphonic orchestra. they don´t mean much in this form, other than mocking up how big my cases would need to be for what I had in mind..
3
Share
Old 6th May 2017
  #3432
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Just ordered the "Korb Folder" PCB/Panel/programmed chip/tempco resistors from the Korb webshop,
Another project to place on my pile, hopefully have it built by 2020

PS I better order the components before we leave the EU
1
Share
Old 6th May 2017
  #3433
Lives for gear
 
acealive's Avatar
I uploaded two new modular synth related videos on my youtube channel



6
Share
Old 6th May 2017
  #3434
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
I uploaded two new modular synth related videos on my youtube channel ...
Sounds like you had an enjoyable Samstag Morgen! Thanks for sharing it with us!

The A-160-5 is awesome. I've got static MIDI CC values programmed into a MIDI controller connected to a Kenton MIDI>CV converter so that I can ratchet on the fly from the keyboard and know what to expect. As you caution in the video, it's true that manual control of the A-160-5 can be tricky--and that if you hit zero by mistake your sequence stops (which is usually not what you'd want).

Curiously, though, your A-160-5 sounds more vintage than mine.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-doepfer-160-5.jpg  
2
Share
Old 6th May 2017
  #3435
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post
2
Share
Old 6th May 2017
  #3436
Here for the gear
Sample

@Derp
I'm back in 2016 remebering about sampling modulars! How are your experiments, I am very involved in yours. Particularly: leave my Kurz Pc3k6 at home during live-sessions and be converted to 80% modular ( 1010 Music bitbox! ). Some of you use Radio Music or A-112 but I'm not convinced of their capacity in terms of lenght of samples and possibility in manipulation.
Old 6th May 2017
  #3437
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
MN chimed in to say that via CV it's smooth, but the knob is stepped. that's good for me. and that also explains the varying results.
I was wrong about this. it's always quantized.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 8th May 2017 at 02:32 AM..
1
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3438
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
@Derp
I'm back in 2016 remebering about sampling modulars! How are your experiments, I am very involved in yours. Particularly: leave my Kurz Pc3k6 at home during live-sessions and be converted to 80% modular ( 1010 Music bitbox! ). Some of you use Radio Music or A-112 but I'm not convinced of their capacity in terms of lenght of samples and possibility in manipulation.
Disting can be fun for drum loops. Though I don't have it in my hands yet (June, ugh), the ER-301 seems to be the best sampling option out there right now.
1
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3439
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
A little bit of a Eurorack Funk Jam for you guys, courtesy of TINRS Tuesday.

Drums are the AR on top of a loop played back from the Disting going through a Wasp. Bass is Rings driven by Arpitecht. Main sound is Braids and Alias / Aperture going through Evolution and finally, Clouds, sequenced by Tuesday. Progression driven by me playing on a Beatstep Pro using a Disting in precision adder mode with O_c quantizing everything into scale. All live save for one quick edit.

I really need some more, interesting VCO's and a mute solution. I was down to using Warps as a VCO for one of the background sounds.

2
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3440
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
I uploaded two new modular synth related videos on my youtube channel


So it's also a CV recorder..? the Doepfer module I mean..?
Old 7th May 2017
  #3441
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
So it's also a CV recorder..? the Doepfer module I mean..?
Nah, just a clock multiplier.
Old 7th May 2017
  #3442
Gear Maniac
 

First jam today. Loving it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0045.jpg  
Old 7th May 2017
  #3443
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Nah, just a clock multiplier.
he seems to change it by hand, I get that as I do that with my 4MS quad distributor, but then when he lets go it changes by itself..??
Old 7th May 2017
  #3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
he seems to change it by hand, I get that as I do that with my 4MS quad distributor, but then when he lets go it changes by itself..??
Yes exactly like the QCD you can change the mult with cv.
Old 7th May 2017
  #3445
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
@Derp
I'm back in 2016 remebering about sampling modulars! How are your experiments, I am very involved in yours. Particularly: leave my Kurz Pc3k6 at home during live-sessions and be converted to 80% modular ( 1010 Music bitbox! ). Some of you use Radio Music or A-112 but I'm not convinced of their capacity in terms of lenght of samples and possibility in manipulation.
A-112 has a short sample length, but Radio Music can hold samples as big as your SD card can store. Just because of the nature of Radio Music though, I'd still recommend loading up nonrhythmic stuff onto that one (answering machine messages, drones, things of that nature.) I haven't gotten one for myself yet, but TipTop One is reputed to be able to hold huge samples and has tight timing. Really I see sampling modules as something that's set and forget as far as the sample banks (like Nebulae, Grandpa, and Radio Music) or something meant to record something quick and dirty for weird mutilations (A-112, SampleSlicer, Scooper, Phonogene, etc.) That's not to say that having your modular handle your backing tracks isn't impossible. Fiddlestickz brought up a really good idea regarding that and One, in fact.
1
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3446
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
I uploaded two new modular synth related videos on my youtube channel
that was great!
1
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3447
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
A little bit of a Eurorack Funk Jam for you guys, courtesy of TINRS Tuesday.

Drums are the AR on top of a loop
Cool

AR = analogue rytm ?
Old 7th May 2017
  #3448
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
TipTop One is reputed to be able to hold huge samples and has tight timing. Really I see sampling modules as something that's set and forget as far as the sample banks (like Nebulae, Grandpa, and Radio Music) or something meant to record something quick and dirty for weird mutilations (A-112, SampleSlicer, Scooper, Phonogene, etc.) That's not to say that having your modular handle your backing tracks isn't impossible. Fiddlestickz brought up a really good idea regarding that and One, in fact.
Open mind as usual, Derp ! I watched at the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPCgmcY2Zs
and from 12:20 it's explained what we are looking for: manipulate our waves for triggering and pitch shifting!
Some doubts about Softw: the Kurz synthesis skill has not rivals, other than E-Mu, but that's another debate
Old 7th May 2017
  #3449
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Disting can be fun for drum loops. Though I don't have it in my hands yet (June, ugh), the ER-301 seems to be the best sampling option out there right now.
You're right! But in terms of costs and space ( 30HP )...
Maybe the idea of Derp, using TipTop only to play back our previous samples, should be the best. So first sampling and manipulate with Kurz ( it would be better with E-mu ) then put it all in TipTop to a creative use through our patches.
1
Share
Old 7th May 2017
  #3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Great stuff, and your song names make me really want to go to Ikea!

Loved Risk fri fisk and Tar det pent!

Well done!
Haha, nice! Thanks a lot for the kind words and for listening. I should use that in the "marketing" of the next record. "Listening to this stuff and reading on the back of the record will make you really want to go to IKEA!".
2
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump