The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3391
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Just sell it. You know you want to.
Why, you buying?
1
Share
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3392
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Aren't there a few 1/4" to mini jack modules in Eurorack (if you can't get the Dotcom one)?
There are, but my issue isn't with the module itself, it's the lack of communication, their customer service, and that guy's attitude. I won't go into the whole backstory here, but I feel like among the thousands of great people in the modular community, supporting Dot Com means you're supporting an elitist and an asshole. But that's just like my opinion, man.
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3393
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
There are, but my issue isn't with the module itself, it's the lack of communication, their customer service, and that guy's attitude. I won't go into the whole backstory here, but I feel like among the thousands of great people in the modular community, supporting Dot Com means you're supporting an elitist and an asshole. But that's just like my opinion, man.
he doesn't actually sell the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter module, it's just advertised to flesh out the traitors. And now he knows you're a traitor.
3
Share
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3394
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
he doesn't actually sell the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter module, it's just advertised to flesh out the traitors. And now he knows you're a traitor.


Might not be far from the truth, actually.

It just dawned on me I'm probably overreacting. They've probably just been backlogged now that they've got another new module up for sale. I'll give them a gentle nudge later. If I can put up with Tom @ ASol's *********gery for the sake of his groovy modules, then I really shouldn't be getting this upset about a lapse in communication.
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
is the morphagene varispeed 1v/oct it? is it quantized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yes it's very steppy too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
that kills my hard gas for it. WHY??? tape emulation shouldn't be steppy at all. and at the resolution they're running it at, they should have programmed it not to.
There's a whole discussion about this on the Muffs site that I finally gave up on; because the people that find the Morphagene "steppy" are almost looking for a problem with it, instead of just using it the way they actually would. In other words, they kept demanding for people [in order to show the steppiness] to put a single, sine wave tone into it then slowly move the varispeed!? Really? That's how you'll actually use this in real life?

This was after I had posted a test I made specifically for them, with a vocal sample on one channel, and a piano/buzzing/firefly sample in the other... sounds like an analog tape to me when I play with the varispeed. In other words, if you can't get this to sound like a tape emulation, then you're doing it wrong! Seriously. It's not that hard. In fact, one of the first guys who posted his initial "problematic stepping" test, had a clock going into the CLK in of the Morphagene, which will cause it to sound like it's stepping. He then claimed to have tried it unplugged, but never offered proof of that.

Anyway, here's my own test which sounds pretty analog tape emulation to me...

6
Share
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3396
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post

Anyway, here's my own test which sounds pretty analog tape emulation to me...

MN chimed in to say that via CV it's smooth, but the knob is stepped. that's good for me. and that also explains the varying results.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 3rd May 2017 at 09:46 PM..
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3397
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post


Forgetting the whole "steppy" argument,
those are some nice tones you've gotten there, Gen
1
Share
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3398
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
that's got to be an error. open a ticket asap to send it back.

I've run into a few settings on mine that have me scratching my head - wondering if I've got a defective one as well. in some settings, when sweeping the frequency knob around 9:00, there's a jump - it's almost as though below that setting there's a phase cancellation and then all of a sudden I'm past it. This could make sense if I was sweeping the lower band past the upper one, but in the belgrade they sweep together being kept apart by the span - so I don't know what's going on.
Perfect Circuit got me sorted out, and I was able to get it sent back already.

That does sound like a defect to me. I would contact Xaoc about it for sure.
Old 3rd May 2017
  #3399
Gear Maniac
 
joostoftoday's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Forgetting the whole "steppy" argument,
those are some nice tones you've gotten there, Gen
Half of the modular youtube community should take an example and make more demos like this and less fart noises and filter sweeps. THIS kind of video is the reason why I want to dig deeper into modular.
8
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
MN chimed in to say that via CV it's smooth, but the knob is stepped. that's good for me. and that also explains the varying results.
Yep, I saw that, and it makes sense, but as I mentioned on the Muffs forum, I think it also depends on what you are putting into it... for example, if you've got some beats or something clicking to begin with, I'm sure it will sound more steppy when manually moving the Varispeed, but even with my glitchy sounding piano, and playing with the Varispeed manually with no modulation, I actually had hard time getting it to sound anything other than nice tape emulation... either way, it's a great module that I am finding quite useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Forgetting the whole "steppy" argument,
those are some nice tones you've gotten there, Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joostoftoday View Post
Half of the modular youtube community should take an example and make more demos like this and less fart noises and filter sweeps. THIS kind of video is the reason why I want to dig deeper into modular.
Thanks for the kind words you two!
1
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3401

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/442794
So based on what I think will work best and with some help from you guys here is the plan I have come up with for the first iteration of my live case. If there are any "gaping holes", "too many of this, not enough of that" that you guys see please point them out.
Here is what is left to buy-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/416746
I have some stuff I can sell to get this going, soon hopefully.

On another note- The Furthrrr generator is my new best friend, and has inspired me to go for the expanded Grand Terminal as well. The FG is the biggest sounding thing I have ever heard. Apply any "warm", "fat", "sauce" adjectives to it you care to. It's just fantastic. I've attached a really rough demo of me playing around on the QuNexus and the raw sound of the Furthrrrr patched into itself with the Qu triggering Maths to make the modulations from note to note, and a little delay from the chronoblob at some point I believe. M32 is on bass, Rings, DNA, and Neuron provide the rhythm, FG comes in around a minute in. Beware- There are a few bad notes in the playing and some really harsh frequencies in the sweeps but the overall sound of the oscillator is incredible, I can't wait to start writing with it.
Attached Files

Futhrrrr test 1.mp3 (5.69 MB, 1150 views)

3
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3402
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Got the Tonestar 8106 in today. Been playing with it a little. It's not quite what I expected. It doesn't really cop the AX60/Juno sound perfectly. It's not a bad thing, though. It sounds like a Studio Electronics synth with a different filter onboard. I can still get the Juno/AX60 vibe by sending different oscillators and envelopes into the filter and feeding it into the 106 Chorus. On its own, it's less of a clone/homage to the Juno lineage and more of its own thing. Sounds like one of the Boomstar desktop synths but with one less oscillator and a different flavor of filter, like a really angry Juno. I'm really digging this.
2
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3403
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
There are, but my issue isn't with the module itself, it's the lack of communication, their customer service, and that guy's attitude. I won't go into the whole backstory here, but I feel like among the thousands of great people in the modular community, supporting Dot Com means you're supporting an elitist and an asshole. But that's just like my opinion, man.
I have received 3 mails from them for last 2 days. Answer time was about ~1 hour. Maybe checking the spam folder (or even outgoing mail) will help
1
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3404
Lives for gear
 

Built a Dirt filter the other night.. interesting little FSU module. seems to want a very hot signal to work best, but pretty interesting module for little money.

next up on the bench.. radio music!
Old 4th May 2017
  #3405
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'd say, not really ... I'd have to try again tonight to confirm. I played with feeding a root note the night before but found the range to be limited, about 1 octave. It could be that I had arp range set low.

Overall, the thing that sold my on the Arpitecht was the CV controls, just about everything it does can take modulation.
Gave it a try, the Arphitecht is not a quantizer in any real sense. In fact, I can't really pin down what the input is doing. Feeding it a single shifts the arp in scale with the settings, but it's not changing the root. Transpose is also a bit weird, that will change the root of the scale, but it's limited to 1 octave.
Old 4th May 2017
  #3406
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Gave it a try, the Arphitecht is not a quantizer in any real sense. In fact, I can't really pin down what the input is doing. Feeding it a single shifts the arp in scale with the settings, but it's not changing the root. Transpose is also a bit weird, that will change the root of the scale, but it's limited to 1 octave.
Thanks I really appreciate it. I don't have anywhere to test drive modules other than driving 5 hrs to Brooklyn.
Old 4th May 2017
  #3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Thanks I really appreciate it. I don't have anywhere to test drive modules other than driving 5 hrs to Brooklyn.
No modular stores in DC? Open one and clean up.
1
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3408
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
No modular stores in DC? Open one and clean up.
Ha. I'll take that one to my wife and get back with the response.
Old 4th May 2017
  #3409
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny.gtr View Post
I have received 3 mails from them for last 2 days. Answer time was about ~1 hour. Maybe checking the spam folder (or even outgoing mail) will help
I got my hopes up when I found the quote request confirmation in my spam, but alas, that was the only thing in there.
Old 4th May 2017
  #3410
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Furthrrr generator
Anyone that has both this and a DPO care to compare? I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the two, but Slaughtr's description of it is making me consider wishlisting the Furthrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
1
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3411
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Built a Dirt filter the other night.. interesting little FSU module. seems to want a very hot signal to work best, but pretty interesting module for little money.

next up on the bench.. radio music!
I built the chord organ version of radio music last week. Was my first self-build - I've been sort of angling at DIY for years and have been sitting on a few kits for months. (and we won't mention the pile of semi and non functional synths and tape delays that I imagine myself repairing "some day") Anyway, had a messy night on Amazon a few weeks back and various tools have been dribbling in, so late the other night thought I'd have a look at the waiting kits and see what was going to be involved... next thing, the sun was up I'd had a heap of fun, and I could finally justify the Thonk hoodie I've been wearing all winter.

I'm trying to build myself up to the very intimidating Rampage that's waiting (HEAVY bag rammed with parts) so a few days later built a 4ms shuffling clock multiplier. Ugly. Less parts than the radio music, but somehow fell into all the noob traps that I'd somehow avoided on the first one, on top of which a lot of the SCM just seemed unneccessarily difficult - all sorts of gymnastic leg bending just to get into holes, or holes so close together that components butt up against each other. A lot of stuff was easier once I stopped following the order in the build guide too, and then to finish off, managed to shoot the last LED somewhere while clipping and bending the legs. So that one sits on the "some day" pile now Anyway

Have fun with the radio music, I'm going to take a step back and build a Mikrophonie.... at some point I'll have to get an RCD too (same board) and take my revenge.
2
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3412
Here for the gear
 

The Mikrophone was my first modular kit build. It was fun. I've got the Magnetophone on the way.
1
Share
Old 4th May 2017
  #3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Anyone that has both this and a DPO care to compare? I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the two, but Slaughtr's description of it is making me consider wishlisting the Furthrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
After playing with it more, I'm convinced it is the highest quality piece of gear that I own period. The sound has no "fetters" to it. Kinda like the difference between plugging the guitar straight into the amp compared to through an 80's DOD pedal or something. It sounds more alive and sparkly but simultaneously heavy and darker than all my other synths/oscillators. Reminds me of the Minimoog in that way. Can't wait to get the Grand Terminal and the expander.
Old 4th May 2017
  #3414
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Got my TINRS Tuesday today. It's a little rough on the edges, only supports 24ppqn and could benefit from WMD's take on CV control, but damn this thing is fun. It's Teensy / open source so hoping to see some additional development and capabilities if it takes off.

It pairs really nicely with the Evolution, being able to feed the Velocity and Accent outs into a various filter modulation points. I'm almost tempted not to post this because I had my best patch to date running and don't want to share the secret.
Old 5th May 2017
  #3415
I released another all-modular EP today. Kind of "pretty", this one. Stream it from here if you'd like to check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/user-69083183...15-laserost-st

Feedback much welcomed!
5
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3416
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
I released another all-modular EP today. Kind of "pretty", this one. Stream it from here if you'd like to check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/user-69083183...15-laserost-st

Feedback much welcomed!
Oh my. this I'll have to hear, stuff I've heard from you all over the internets and forums and whatnot has been really nice.
1
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Oh my. this I'll have to hear, stuff I've heard from you all over the internets and forums and whatnot has been really nice.
Hey, thanks! That's really nice of you. I really appreciate that.
Old 5th May 2017
  #3418
Here for the gear
 



I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
14
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3419
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Benders View Post


I´ll just leave this here... Enjoy!
Damn, Colin... that's fantastic.
1
Share
Old 5th May 2017
  #3420
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Damn, Colin... that's fantastic.
thanks!
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump