The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

@genshi

That was terrific. Not just for a live performance. I would be glad if i got results like this after days of prodution.

Very impressed.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
... here is the full audio from my Live Eurorack Modular Performance for Signal / Logic / Control at the Baker Building in Portland Oregon on April 28, 2017...
Great performance!
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Great performance!
maisonvague! So glad you posted up, I had been wondering if you're ok.
Old 2nd May 2017

Chips, salsa, wiggle.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Maniac
Got the Xaoc Belgrad and a bigger case on order... Looking forward to both, especially as I already sold my only case :-D

I'm having a hard time believing how difficult the Piston Honda MKII is proving to sell - it is quality wavetables, after all.

Anyone have experience with the 1010 Bitbox? That could actually work as a sampleplayer module, something to fill the gap of an Octatrack.
Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:
Will you buy me a Furthrrrr Generator? j/k That would be fun to jam with you! I've been wanting a Furthrrrr Generator for the longest time though, but I just can't afford it...

And I too have been thinking about putting on my own shows; I actually have a plan for more intimate, ambient modular shows on a weekly basis, just trying to figure out the best PA system to get. Doesn't have to be too powerful for large clubs or anything, since I'm planning these events in Art Galleries, but it must have excellent clarity that can handle all the frequencies of a synth. The last show I played last Friday had the worst PA system thus far...

And speaking of that performance, I was trying to hold out until I got the video of it, but the people who shot the video failed miserably... So instead, here is the full audio from my Live Eurorack Modular Performance for Signal / Logic / Control at the Baker Building in Portland Oregon on April 28, 2017... using modules from Make Noise, Mutable Instruments, 4ms Company, XAOC Devices, Intellijel Designs Inc., Erica Synths, and Tom Whitwell's Radio Music modules.

Yeah man great sounds. Sorry I couldn't make it...maybe next time I get rear-ended by a motorcycle I can ask him to wait until next weekend.

For PA I would consider Mackie powered speakers hooked up to whatever small format mixer I am sure you already own. They are very powerful and clean sounding without adding anything special. For the gigs you are talking about you could probably be ok with 12's but even the 15's aren't that heavy. If your budget won't allow for Mackie then there are some other options. I know a buddy who has a Behringer Powered speaker and loves it. Craigslist Portland is often littered with PA gear for cheap too.

And I can't afford the FG either, 1/3 of it was store credit from a consignment and the rest was plastic. I'm actually about to list a bunch of stuff that I don't want as much as I want modules to pay for the new stuff. You can't take it with you, especially if it was never yours to begin with...
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Got the Xaoc Belgrad and a bigger case on order... Looking forward to both, especially as I already sold my only case :-D

I'm having a hard time believing how difficult the Piston Honda MKII is proving to sell - it is quality wavetables, after all.

Anyone have experience with the 1010 Bitbox? That could actually work as a sampleplayer module, something to fill the gap of an Octatrack.
where is your piston honda for sale?
Old 3rd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
@genshi

That was terrific. Not just for a live performance. I would be glad if i got results like this after days of prodution.

Very impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Quote:
... here is the full audio from my Live Eurorack Modular Performance for Signal / Logic / Control at the Baker Building in Portland Oregon on April 28, 2017...

Great performance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah man great sounds. Sorry I couldn't make it...maybe next time I get rear-ended by a motorcycle I can ask him to wait until next weekend.

For PA I would consider Mackie powered speakers hooked up to whatever small format mixer I am sure you already own. They are very powerful and clean sounding without adding anything special. For the gigs you are talking about you could probably be ok with 12's but even the 15's aren't that heavy. If your budget won't allow for Mackie then there are some other options. I know a buddy who has a Behringer Powered speaker and loves it. Craigslist Portland is often littered with PA gear for cheap too.

And I can't afford the FG either, 1/3 of it was store credit from a consignment and the rest was plastic. I'm actually about to list a bunch of stuff that I don't want as much as I want modules to pay for the new stuff. You can't take it with you, especially if it was never yours to begin with...
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. I did manage to cobble together a partial video of the performance from various found footage on the social networks...

@slaughtrhaus you are the third person this week to recommend Mackie for a PA... I'll need to look into it. Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
O_c and Arpitecht are two different beasts, I wouldn't really think of Arpitecht as a quantizer. You could use it that way, but it would be a waste. O_c is a much better, pure quantizer with features that basically blow away everything else out on the market.
I'm totally fascinated with O_C because of it's origins but all I really "need" is one channel of quantization where I can select notes and it will pick the closest match to the CV I send in. I realize there are issues with getting tight v/o when you don't have a trigger input which the Intellijel suffers from but the Tiptop quantizer handles. And that's really what I want. But I always figure if I'm going to throw down money at module to get something I can get more out of than what I "need" and leave room to grow into.

Now neither the o_c or Arpitecht give you a button keyboard ala µScale which would be the most usable for me but with all the other features either one of those pack in I could do the learning curve. Mostly its that quantization is pretty unexplored territory for me so I can't really tell what I would really bond with. When I think of a arpeggiator I'm thinking Pro1 where you push a bunch of notes on the keyboard, select up, down or ping pong and you get an arp.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm totally fascinated with O_C because of it's origins but all I really "need" is one channel of quantization where I can select notes and it will pick the closest match to the CV I send in. I realize there are issues with getting tight v/o when you don't have a trigger input which the Intellijel suffers from but the Tiptop quantizer handles. And that's really what I want. But I always figure if I'm going to throw down money at module to get something I can get more out of than what I "need" and leave room to grow into.

Now neither the o_c or Arpitecht give you a button keyboard ala µScale which would be the most usable for me but with all the other features either one of those pack in I could do the learning curve. Mostly its that quantization is pretty unexplored territory for me so I can't really tell what I would really bond with. When I think of a arpeggiator I'm thinking Pro1 where you push a bunch of notes on the keyboard, select up, down or ping pong and you get an arp.
The Penrose has a keyboard. Far less features than o_c or Arpitecht, but you do have a keyboard with trigger in.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a quick ambient track with the new WMD Arpitecht doing generative melody duties. Counter melody is the Triads expander. Note mask and triad modulated with a slow, clocked S/H.

Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
The Penrose has a keyboard. Far less features than o_c or Arpitecht, but you do have a keyboard with trigger in.
If cost isn't an issue and you're against the idea of the O_c, I'd recommend the uScale II instead (even though it's probably more than having someone build you an O_c). Having the option for a second, musically related note opens up a ton of additional patching options. Then patch I just posted above ^^ is a great example of that.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quick ambient track with the new WMD Arpitecht doing generative melody duties. Counter melody is the Triads expander. Note mask and triad modulated with a slow, clocked S/H.

Good stuff man!
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

is the morphagene varispeed 1v/oct it? is it quantized?
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
is the morphagene varispeed 1v/oct it? is it quantized?
yes it's very steppy too..
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Got the Bastl Cinnamon and Xaoc Belgrad in today. The Cinnamon is awesome, heaps of character in a tiny package.

Belgrad sound great, but...I'm pretty sure mine is defective as the double notch and highpass/notch modes (#s 4 and 8) cut all audio, no matter the settings. Bummer, as I otherwise love the sound of this filter. Hopefully Xaoc can confirm it's an error and PCA are decent about the return, as I've heard some horror stories about returns with them.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

man, I think the little screen and two knob scrolly thing of O_c just goes so against what I want to do with a modular, having a hard time getting excited about it. Maybe I need to watch more vids of it or something.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
man, I think the little screen and two knob scrolly thing of O_c just goes so against what I want to do with a modular, having a hard time getting excited about it. Maybe I need to watch more vids of it or something.
that's totally what I thought before getting one, and now I have two.
There's a certain futility to avoiding 'set and forget' modules, but the amount of power/options this module gives you is ridiculous. It's a disting on steroids - and thank god for the screen.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Belgrad sound great, but...I'm pretty sure mine is defective as the double notch and highpass/notch modes (#s 4 and 8) cut all audio, no matter the settings. Bummer, as I otherwise love the sound of this filter. Hopefully Xaoc can confirm it's an error and PCA are decent about the return, as I've heard some horror stories about returns with them.
that's got to be an error. open a ticket asap to send it back.

I've run into a few settings on mine that have me scratching my head - wondering if I've got a defective one as well. in some settings, when sweeping the frequency knob around 9:00, there's a jump - it's almost as though below that setting there's a phase cancellation and then all of a sudden I'm past it. This could make sense if I was sweeping the lower band past the upper one, but in the belgrade they sweep together being kept apart by the span - so I don't know what's going on.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
that kills my hard gas for it. WHY??? tape emulation shouldn't be steppy at all. and at the resolution they're running it at, they should have programmed it not to.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Not personally, but that Div Kid video is making me want the Bitbox, FXbox, and Synthbox. FXbox in particular looks like it can cop a lot of the stuff that I miss the KP3 for, but with more CV control.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Thaaaat's. weird. Phonogene doesn't do that, and that's practically a step down from the Morphagene at this point. Maybe check the CV source?
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Not personally, but that Div Kid video is making me want the Bitbox, FXbox, and Synthbox. FXbox in particular looks like it can cop a lot of the stuff that I miss the KP3 for, but with more CV control.
Dude, you want EVERYTHING! It's not DivKid's videos....

Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well done. This is not helping me not want this module. The variations on those arps are really cool. I know it is a bit like duck hunting with an AK-47 but if you turn NOTES down to one, does it behave like a more traditional quantizer where it would peg incoming CV to whatever scale you have selected?
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Well done. This is not helping me not want this module. The variations on those arps are really cool. I know it is a bit like duck hunting with an AK-47 but if you turn NOTES down to one, does it behave like a more traditional quantizer where it would peg incoming CV to whatever scale you have selected?
I'd say, not really ... I'd have to try again tonight to confirm. I played with feeding a root note the night before but found the range to be limited, about 1 octave. It could be that I had arp range set low.

Overall, the thing that sold my on the Arpitecht was the CV controls, just about everything it does can take modulation.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Dude, you want EVERYTHING! It's not DivKid's videos....

Well, I can't help it that Eurorack has all the cool toys!
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Any other 5u owners been having issues with Synthesizers.com's service lately? I sent a quote request for the minijack to 1/4" adaptor module Sunday night and I still haven't heard anything back from them. Between the fact that it's hard to find modules used, I get charged more for living in the same state as Dot Com, the turnaround time kinda bites, the modules are freakin' huge, and that the guy behind the company can be kind of a condescending ass sometimes, it's becoming tempting again to just sell and get more Eurocrack.
Old 3rd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Any other 5u owners been having issues with Synthesizers.com's service lately? I sent a quote request for the minijack to 1/4" adaptor module Sunday night and I still haven't heard anything back from them. Between the fact that it's hard to find modules used, I get charged more for living in the same state as Dot Com, the turnaround time kinda bites, the modules are freakin' huge, and that the guy behind the company can be kind of a condescending ass sometimes, it's becoming tempting again to just sell and get more Eurocrack.
Just sell it. You know you want to.
Old 3rd May 2017
Aren't there a few 1/4" to mini jack modules in Eurorack (if you can't get the Dotcom one)?

-------

Just took delivery of my Mutant Rimshot and Erica Pico Oscillator.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Voltage Control Labs videos on O_c sold me on it.. he has a couple in his rack and has videos on all the different apps within it.

I got one when I wanted a quantizer.. it does SO much more. Euclidean rhythms, sequencing, crazy randomness, chord generation...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search