The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st May 2017
  #3331
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
1. Voltage Block, i was looking for a simple8-step CV sequencer, when i stumbled upon it. Seems such a complete module for the CV modulation task. Even has a Quantizer and many other things.
I adore my Voltage Block. I was a bit worried about the menu diving, but it's crazy simple to use and I haven't forgotten how to use it after not using it for a bit. Overall fantastic functionality.

And if you have a Varigate 8+, they apparently work together quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
By ear. But I don't do a whole lot of octave jumping either when combining oscillators.

Although I do have the ZeroScope which has a tuner in it also. I just use it primarily for the scope though.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3332
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
CR looks like you'd need a degree in cryptology to work it.
I don't think it's what you're looking for, either. CR is easy enough to where you can figure out most of it just by playing with it, and the rest of it will make you go 'oh, DUH!' after reading the manual. Still, it's just a trigger/gate sequencer. If you're wanting melody, look elsewhere. Stillson Hammer gets close to checking all of your boxes except for entering in notes live. Very powerful sequencer, but not all that you need it to be. Also, that one actually is pretty cryptic to navigate. There's a lot of shift-pressing and menu-diving on that one. For instance, to randomize a sequencer, you have to hold shift, random, and the CV button, and then shift, random, and the Gate button to get both melody and gates randomized. I think it could have been loads better if they'd committed more panel space to dedicated functions, or even done away with the sequence sliders entirely since it's easier to fine-tune without them.
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3333
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this is something I have no patience or tolerance for anymore, life is too short to be pissin' around with wonky unstable poor tracking analog oscillators, I got rid of most of mine that are a pain to tune and now only want to use either digital, samples, or DCO's or analog oscillators that are known to be super stable and track properly..
I know that feel. I love the wildness of VCO's, but have lost all patience with tuning. If I'm working on something 'serious', I'll sample what I need and tune the samples after the fact. For my self-indulgent cacophony, I just tune oscillators to each other and work that way.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3334
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So as much as I love sequencing on my Octatrack and as useful as having my modular synced to a DAW I am missing the old days of the smaller case, when I was making all "in the case" productions. Plus the combined rigs would be way too much to take out of the house the way it is now. I'd like to get the box back to "standalone" status again.

In the past, the idea was that I would hold off on buying "control" and sequencer type modules until I got the base case. The base case is a long way off, and I'm not convinced I'll ever want to grow my system that big. My GAS for modules has deflated proportionate to my experience with the format, as in more focused purchases, no "I'll get the better one later" mentality etc.

After going back and forth with @fiddlestickz's game of "next three modules" I realized I didn't know what I really wanted. I have a few ideas about voices I might pick up in the future (Freak, Atlantis) but I basically figured out I need a sequencer. A sequencer to be the "brains" of the operation the way I use my OT and my DAW. A couple of main features I am looking for-

1. Enter notes live from my QuNexus.

2. More than one track, hopefully at least 4 but 8 wouldn't kill me either.

3. Ease of use- Obviously it would have some sort of display but I would prefer as little menu diving as possible.

4. Straightforward "normal" sequencing. Weirdo sequencers are awesome but I need a "main brain" more as I have a Turing Machine, Grids, and Peaks to do weird stuff already.

5. Must be a Eurorack module. Non-negotiable. I already have sufficient sequencing outside of the case.

6. No budget limit (within reason), 114 hp free right now.

If there is anything out there that behaves like an Elektron that vaguely fits that description it would pretty much win. If there is anyone out there who can build me an Elektron Euromachine (octatrack sequencing in a module) I would pay dearly.

Help me get back in the case!
I can't think of anything that ticks all of those boxes. As exciting as Eloquencer looks, even it can't enter notes externally. The only thing that comes to mind really is instead of one big badass sequencer, how about a few different sequencers? Like we know Stillson Hammer ticks a lot of boxes, so that one, and if you're comfortable with the sequencer on your Mother-32, use that one as well obviously since it allows external input, maybe an extra one if you're inclined, the Modcan Touch Sequencer for easy fine-tuning of sequences, a traditional rotary-knob sequencer because they're too much fun and too cheap to not have one, a sample and hold feeding a quantizer for some controlled random, a Euclidean gate sequencer to mess with the timing of other sequencers... just start building your own 'master' sequencer so to speak.
2
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3335
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I'm sick of futzing around with 1/4" to 1/8" cables. I know this is expensive for what it is, but for the sake of convenience, I bought one of these:

1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3336
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Maybe because my primary learning background is guitar (as opposed to piano or winds which I also play) but I just don't see it as a hardship to tune when you start playing. I have certain oscillators that seem to require more tuning than others (I think it's down to the control designs mostly, some of those pots are just begging to be spun; I haven't found startup convection/drift to be that significant in any of my VCO modules) but I would never start working and recording without at least checking my tuning.

I actually made that mistake once. It was early days and I hadn't caught on to the fact that my Pittsburgh Oscillators could get thrown out of tune with a gust of wind or a sneeze (my only complaint about that module which I have three of; someday I'm going to DIY myself a solution). My guitarist comes back to me and says...Dude none of this is in tune. I sheepishly pointed out that the parts were all in tune with each other. After that it has just become a basic first step after powering on. You don't have to go crazy with it and repatch to something super accurate, I can point my phone at the monitor and get a reasonable check on tuning.
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3337
Gear Addict
 
apropos of noth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
I either tune by ear to a keyboard (having played guitar sometimes is good for this), or use a tuner app on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gstrings&hl=en
I really like G-strings for its needle tuner interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna
...
Jinx. Guess one of us owes the other a cocacola.

Last edited by apropos of noth; 1st May 2017 at 06:10 PM..
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I can't think of anything that ticks all of those boxes. As exciting as Eloquencer looks, even it can't enter notes externally.
Yeah, but...


Or to put it another way-


Current events context-
I really need something to repeal and replace Octacare. It's got to be inclusive, cover all preexisting conditions, and be affordable. You're right man, it's never gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The only thing that comes to mind really is instead of one big badass sequencer, how about a few different sequencers? Like we know Stillson Hammer ticks a lot of boxes, so that one, and if you're comfortable with the sequencer on your Mother-32, use that one as well obviously since it allows external input, maybe an extra one if you're inclined, the Modcan Touch Sequencer for easy fine-tuning of sequences, a traditional rotary-knob sequencer because they're too much fun and too cheap to not have one, a sample and hold feeding a quantizer for some controlled random, a Euclidean gate sequencer to mess with the timing of other sequencers... just start building your own 'master' sequencer so to speak.
I already have the bones of that idea going but I need still need one to rule them all-


Instead of a rotating set of maniacs and buffoons trying to run stuff-


Oh, and the jury is till out on whether the Eloquencer can do live note input (I asked him, hope to hear back soon) since it clearly does accept live CV-

Start around 10:30 or so for the CV input part. Even if I can't do live input (which seems to be nonexistent anyway?) the Eloquencer looks to be the brain for me. I need those 8 tracks and song mode to do what I want to do, and the Free Play mode is just genius because that's exactly how I use my OT live (select the synth I want to play instead of be sequenced by selecting the track on OT midi page). It's kinda like the guy who made it wanted to replace HIS Octatrack lol.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3339
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Maybe because my primary learning background is guitar...
Yeah, but even a nice guitar can hold a tuning for months on end. If you so much as look at a Pitts, Asol, or DotCom oscillator, that sucker's going out of tune. And god help you if you have to fart...

6
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3340
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, but even a nice guitar can hold a tuning for months on end. If you so much as look at a Pitts, Asol, or DotCom oscillator, that sucker's going out of tune. And god help you if you have to fart...

Haha yeah. It's funny that Asol is one of your problem children: my Medic Modules Cranial Saw (Tom designed VCO, based on Liepzig iirc) is the one VCO I never, ever have to tune. But I think that's just because the coarse tune slider is only a few semitones either way and it's fairly stiff, in other words much harder to accidentally knock it out of shape.

Someday I'm going to figure out a good way to secure the coarse tuners on my Pittsburgh Oscillators. Like the 10 turn pots that DSC came up with (I should have just sent him mine to mod when he was doing that; at the time they were like my only VCOs heh).
Old 1st May 2017
  #3341
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The Eloquencer webpage shows what the CV in can do, but no mention of live note sequencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Modular
CV inputs can be assigned to many parameters ( Step and probabilities, Mute, Fill in, track shift…)
I think the simpler solution would be to have the QuNexus controlling its own voice, or use the Mother 32 as your live sequencer and have the Eloquencer or what have you taking care of everything else.

Another possibility might be a CV recorder to go along with your primary sequencer. Only problem is that you can throw quantisation right out the door going that route, and you'd still need something to generate gate signals.

Really, it sounds to me like you might be happier with an MPC-type device that's in the rack. I feel you because I like doing everything in the rack and would love a big badass sequencer to handle it all, but nobody's thought up anything like that yet unfortunately.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3342
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Speaking of sequencers, Division 6 Dual Mini Sequencer DIY Kit looks interesting, at $90 I'm tempted.

More info HERE




This picture is from Facebook.
4
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I feel you because I like doing everything in the rack and would love a big badass sequencer to handle it all, but nobody's thought up anything like that yet unfortunately.
Well, without flag waving too hard for a product I have never tried before, based on advertised capabilities the Eloquencer really is "a big badass sequencer to handle it all", and from my perspective it only lacks one feature (live notes in) that appears to be hen's teeth made of unobtanium anyway. I probably shouldn't have put that first on my list since it wasn't so much of a priority as matching Elektron workflow and having song mode.

The rest of it is essentially perfect for my needs, and intuitive to my workflow based on what I see, very Elektron. I am going to use a few tracks to drive other sequencers for sure (I do this exact thing with the OT)- Grids, Peaks, Pitt seq 1, Turing Machine (if I ever find someone to fix it for me), 4MS SMR (amazing drum trigger mode btw)...all candidates for the hookup...I'm not ignoring your suggestions at all, I'm trying to do the thing you are suggesting but with a centralized control center that makes sense to me. Daisy chaining sequencers more than 2 deep has never produced desirable results for me but triggering them separately and precisely really does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think the simpler solution would be to have the QuNexus controlling its own voice
Free Play mode will allow me to choose any voice hooked up to the Eloquencer by selecting the corresponding track, this appeals to me because of how exactly it matches the OT's workflow. The goal is to come as close as possible to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Mother 32
That is a bad word in my house right now. They are too busy resurrecting old products to fix existing ones apparently. Stupid sequencer bug, stupid limited envelope, stupid voltage range, exceptionally stupid fiddly sequencer, not the least bit intuitive or fun to use. I love the way it sounds but it never makes it into any projects any more because of the list of stuff I hate about it. I'm going to get rid of it and get some clone stuff to scratch that itch eventually or maybe even a big "D" module after it's battle-tested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Another possibility might be a CV recorder to go along with your primary sequencer. Only problem is that you can throw quantisation right out the door going that route, and you'd still need something to generate gate signals.
This is something I just went and looked at briefly, will have to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Really, it sounds to me like you might be happier with an MPC-type device that's in the rack.
If you mean like Akai MPC I am not sure I know what modules you are referring to (suggest please). But I am looking for Elektron workflow in Euro, I've only ever fiddled around on an MPC briefly at a friend's house and I didn't really like it, not my cup of tea.

Not arguing btw, you are really helping me figure this out.
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3344
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
Is your modular going into any kind of mixer? Are you hooked up to a DAW for recording your wiggles?

I just monitor a track in my DAW and put a tuner plug-in on it. In my case, I open up my O_c chord mode and set it to 'tune'.. where it puts out a steady C3 on all outputs. Voila!
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3345
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this is something I have no patience or tolerance for anymore, life is too short to be pissin' around with wonky unstable poor tracking analog oscillators, I got rid of most of mine that are a pain to tune and now only want to use either digital, samples, or DCO's or analog oscillators that are known to be super stable and track properly..
You answer amused me It's not that bad for me. Not much different from tuning my guitar, in fact quicker. And I do love the sound and meaty analogueness of my Omikron over Braids.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3346
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Is your modular going into any kind of mixer? Are you hooked up to a DAW for recording your wiggles?

I just monitor a track in my DAW and put a tuner plug-in on it. In my case, I open up my O_c chord mode and set it to 'tune'.. where it puts out a steady C3 on all outputs. Voila!
Nice tip. I'll try that
Old 1st May 2017
  #3347
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
If they ever sell completed versions, I'd kind of like a pair of those. That's pretty nifty!
Old 1st May 2017
  #3348
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
That is a bad word in my house right now. They are too busy resurrecting old products to fix existing ones apparently. Stupid sequencer bug, stupid limited envelope, stupid voltage range, exceptionally stupid fiddly sequencer, not the least bit intuitive or fun to use.
Yeah, to be fair, I haven't dipped but a pinky toe into the Mother-32's sequencer. Been enjoying the LFO more than anything else on that module.

Quote:
If you mean like Akai MPC I am not sure I know what modules you are referring to (suggest please). But I am looking for Elektron workflow in Euro, I've only ever fiddled around on an MPC briefly at a friend's house and I didn't really like it, not my cup of tea.
Yeah true, MPC's really aren't for everyone. I barely tolerate them myself. What you describe just really sounds like an MPC to me, but there's nothing like it in Euroland unfortunately.

What about an iPad and a USB-to-CV interface? Haven't gone that route myself, but I was cruising the MW classifieds and a guy is selling a Euro system with the iPad built in, and it got me to thinking about ways to make something like that work. But if you're going that route, may as well just stick with the Octatrack, right?

I guess really, the biggest question is what don't you like about the Octatrack? I know there's transport like you mentioned, but how are you handling the ergonomics? Is it too bulky/clumsy to work around? If it works for you, then maybe there's a way to better integrate that into the system. Like with my little control boat, it felt like it was too separated from the modular system, so I put a rackmount shelf at the bottom of one of the racks to hold the boat separate from the rest of the system while keeping it close enough to just be a natural extension of the machine.
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, to be fair, I haven't dipped but a pinky toe into the Mother-32's sequencer.
And you won't either...you won't enjoy it if you do...it's just too damn fiddly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah true, MPC's really aren't for everyone. I barely tolerate them myself. What you describe just really sounds like an MPC to me, but there's nothing like it in Euroland unfortunately.
E-L-E-K-T-R-O-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What about an iPad and a USB-to-CV interface? Haven't gone that route myself, but I was cruising the MW classifieds and a guy is selling a Euro system with the iPad built in, and it got me to thinking about ways to make something like that work. But if you're going that route, may as well just stick with the Octatrack, right?
Ipad woudn't be horrible, I could check my emails and GS posts while wiggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I guess really, the biggest question is what don't you like about the Octatrack?
Blasphemy to even ask but I know you aren't a believer so I'll let it slide. Not a goddamn thing. Octatrack is king ****, tits and ice cream. Oh wait- it's not a eurorack module. Ok I wish the click was pannable too but other than that nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I know there's transport like you mentioned, but how are you handling the ergonomics? Is it too bulky/clumsy to work around? If it works for you, then maybe there's a way to better integrate that into the system. Like with my little control boat, it felt like it was too separated from the modular system, so I put a rackmount shelf at the bottom of one of the racks to hold the boat separate from the rest of the system while keeping it close enough to just be a natural extension of the machine.


Ergonomics are fine, it's about making my one case a self-contained music-making machine. My smaller case was that at one point and the music I was making then was my favorite. Plus I really do want to take this thing out of my house someday and use it in front of people. It will be much easier if I only have the one huge complex thing to play with and worry about. All this integration has sucked out the romantic soul of what I originally loved about modular and I want to get back to that. At the same time I need a certain amount of "certainty" in my setup that the Octatrack has provided me with, I just want that same thing in a euro module. Eloquencer might be it. The Dev got back to me on FB and said:

"Not implemented yet-We have to study if it can be done".

It's a positive he got back to me so quickly, and that the answer wasn't a hard "no" as well. I know better than to buy something because I think a feature will be implemented in the future, but with 9/10 boxes ticked, so far it is winning.

The Octatrack isn't going anywhere either. It's been the heart of my music making outside of the modular before getting into wiggling. I like using it with my Virus Snow and Slim Phat a little more, the integration is easier and more static in that setup, and it's perfect for playing in "bands". I still have an old project with some others I'm reviving which would require more playing of "normal" synth sounds and sequenced drums/loops so this little rig is perfect the way it is...


I guess it's an effort to compartmentalize and consolidate my focus. I find myself getting distracted by everything. It reminds me of when I had too many vintage synths and nothing ever worked right when I needed it to. I'm kinda back to that inspiration-killing spot where integration implementation leeches away at my creative time and energy. When I just get to stare in one direction and not turn away I get tunnel focus and ideas flow, just having to look away for a few seconds can kill it. I just want to get back to making music instead of figuring out how...know thy self and all that...
2
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3350
Fiddle's game and the live case idea have my list growing-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/442794
Additions from current-


Furthrrrr Generator (might purchase tomorrow)
Boomtschak
Eloquencer
Dreadbox Splash
PM Mutes (a must for live)
Vermona Twinout

Subtractions-
Mother 32 (decided I am selling)

This leaves 54-78 hp for utilities and stuff I might not be thinking of. The QMI2 can be removed for a show, I've considered getting a small case/HEK just for it and other "integration" modules that can just remain in the studio hooked into the midi loop so I can use it at will and free up the HP for live...

I'm open to suggestions as to what else to add, Soulsby Oscitron, the new 4ms thingy and Melu Freak are at the top of my interesting list...
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3351
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Fiddle's game and the live case idea have my list growing-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/442794
Additions from current-


Furthrrrr Generator (might purchase tomorrow)
Boomtschak
Eloquencer
Dreadbox Splash
PM Mutes (a must for live)
Vermona Twinout

Subtractions-
Mother 32 (decided I am selling)

This leaves 54-78 hp for utilities and stuff I might not be thinking of. The QMI2 can be removed for a show, I've considered getting a small case/HEK just for it and other "integration" modules that can just remain in the studio hooked into the midi loop so I can use it at will and free up the HP for live...

I'm open to suggestions as to what else to add, Soulsby Oscitron, the new 4ms thingy and Melu Freak are at the top of my interesting list...
For live, hmm ... With that rack, I'd get the expander for the Quadra, no brainer. I'd also look at clock dividers and then some performance modules like a sequential switch or switched multiple. Finally, I'd look into a sample player, something low end like a Radio Music or a Disting MK4. A random "noise" sample with a clocked restart can go a long way in adding depth to a patch.
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3352
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Total impulse buy (WMD Arpitecht and Triad), but this is looking like it will replace Chord in my rack. I'd post something with it, but I'm just not in a serious patching mood tonight; I was able to whip something cool up in 20m yesterday for a modular meetup, but 3 hours tonight and all I still have is crap.
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-img_0536.jpg  
2
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Another quick exploration of the Make Noise Morphagene. The sound sources are two samples I composed and loaded into two Radio Music Modules. Morphagene is going into the 4MS Dual Looping Delay and then into Mutable Instruments Clouds. Modulation provided by the Make Noise Richter Wogglebug and the Xaoc Devices Batumi.

That was fantastic...next level dude. Loved every minute of it.

When I was watching, I couldn't help but think of a really talented female vocalist friend of mine who lives in Olympia, WA who I think you'd jive with musically. If you're interested, let me know and I'll make the connection.
Thank you so much for the kind words! And yes, I am always up for collaborating with others... that vocalist used in my video is actually software that allows you to create musical words and phrases depending on how you play the keyboard (can't remember the name of it now, but it's a VST/AU plugin for Kontakt.)
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3354
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar


here's my very first rough go with morphagene, everything except the kick drum, hats and snare is morphagene..
3
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Furthrrrr Generator (might purchase tomorrow).
did you do it? think it's a lovely oscillator


if you need something to tip you over the edge :

https://soundcloud.com/clusterchord/...rrrr-generator



Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Fiddle's game and the live case idea have my list growing-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/442794
Additions from current-
wow, that looks humongous for a live case. it's going to be heavy to howl arround. and a challenge to travel with. personally, i'd rather split that into two smaller suitcases. like 6U or 12U (top n bottom lid filled).

but it looks exciting - what kind of music will you be performing? any other synths/equipment going with it?




as for utilities, you can't go wrong with more lfos maybe the quad Batumi/Poti, and more VCAs, something like quad Veils or Bubblesound - they double as vc mixers. think they are far more interesting than regular mixers like unify. perhaps another TriATT.

i'd also recommend getting the expander for that Quadra. it opens a lot of posibilities. and with maths and mini slew you will have total of seven function generator channels. which is solid for a system of this size.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3356
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Total impulse buy (WMD Arpitecht and Triad), but this is looking like it will replace Chord in my rack. I'd post something with it, but I'm just not in a serious patching mood tonight; I was able to whip something cool up in 20m yesterday for a modular meetup, but 3 hours tonight and all I still have is crap.
I'd love to hear them. A quantizer is definitely on my list and I was pretty set on O&C but these tempted me because they are a little more knobby and I'm not sure I will jell with the menu diving in O&C. Arpitecht seems like it would be a lot of hands on fun.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3357
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'd love to hear them. A quantizer is definitely on my list and I was pretty set on O&C but these tempted me because they are a little more knobby and I'm not sure I will jell with the menu diving in O&C. Arpitecht seems like it would be a lot of hands on fun.
O_c and Arpitecht are two different beasts, I wouldn't really think of Arpitecht as a quantizer. You could use it that way, but it would be a waste. O_c is a much better, pure quantizer with features that basically blow away everything else out on the market.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
did you do it? think it's a lovely oscillator
Well, it's not exactly business hours so not yet, you posted at 6am my time. I'm a little on the fence about getting it today. I'd be putting a bit of it on charge, which is something I am never too comfortable with, but that's the only hesitation- I will own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
if you need something to tip you over the edge :

https://soundcloud.com/clusterchord/...rrrr-generator
I didn't, but these are just fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wow, that looks humongous for a live case. it's going to be heavy to howl arround. and a challenge to travel with. personally, i'd rather split that into two smaller suitcases. like 6U or 12U (top n bottom lid filled).

but it looks exciting - what kind of music will you be performing? any other synths/equipment going with it?
Indeed it is a large case, but I don't plan on going anywhere I can't drive to with it. If all I had to carry was the case and a backpack I could take the train too. I'm a big guy so it's not so bad. If I ever got the opportunity to fly I would get a 12u folding case like Devine uses most likely but I don't anticipate that ever actually happening.

As far as music I'm looking at a hybrid of "songs" I have written over the years and wanting to program them into the Eloquencer or something similar to dictate the flow of the set. On top of those tracks (patched to play as voices) I will improvise whatever aspect I figure out is the most fun at the moment. So organized chaos? Experimental interpretations? I love doing self-generative stuff too. I don't really do any dance music or genre-based stuff on the modular. I'm hoping to play a few shows over the summer, maybe @genshi will take pity on me and let me open up for him sometime (his shows are really good).

If things go well I know a few club owners in town, I thought about trying to form some kind of "open mic" for modular. There's a few meetups in town but they seem to run monthly or even once every 2 months sometimes. I could probably get a weekly thing going if there was enough interest. Everything in Portland is a crap shoot, but it would be a fun winter for once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
as for utilities, you can't go wrong with more lfos maybe the quad Batumi/Poti, and more VCAs, something like quad Veils or Bubblesound - they double as vc mixers. think they are far more interesting than regular mixers like unify. perhaps another TriATT.

i'd also recommend getting the expander for that Quadra. it opens a lot of posibilities. and with maths and mini slew you will have total of seven function generator channels. which is solid for a system of this size.
Unify is my sub/drum mixer, in the studio it's an extra set of outputs for multitack, so I definitely need more CV mixing capabilities. At this point the quadra expander is a given. It's been recommended to me a hundred times. Veils too, I just keep forgetting the "boring" stuff. I know it isn't boring at all but just LOOK at ( as in: listen to) the Furthrrrr Generator. I'd jump into the fires of Mt. Doom after that thing.

So in a couple days I have gone from no GAS at all to a $2500 plan for adding to the case-

I blame superbooth.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3359
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'd love to hear them. A quantizer is definitely on my list and I was pretty set on O&C but these tempted me because they are a little more knobby and I'm not sure I will jell with the menu diving in O&C. Arpitecht seems like it would be a lot of hands on fun.
I don't have one or plan on getting one, but I'm hella impressed with the CV possibilities in the Arphitecht.
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
As far as music I'm looking at a hybrid of "songs" I have written over the years and wanting to program them into the Eloquencer or something similar to dictate the flow of the set. On top of those tracks (patched to play as voices) I will improvise whatever aspect I figure out is the most fun at the moment. So organized chaos? Experimental interpretations? I love doing self-generative stuff too. I don't really do any dance music or genre-based stuff on the modular. I'm hoping to play a few shows over the summer, maybe @genshi will take pity on me and let me open up for him sometime (his shows are really good).

If things go well I know a few club owners in town, I thought about trying to form some kind of "open mic" for modular. There's a few meetups in town but they seem to run monthly or even once every 2 months sometimes. I could probably get a weekly thing going if there was enough interest. Everything in Portland is a crap shoot, but it would be a fun winter for once...



Unify is my sub/drum mixer, in the studio it's an extra set of outputs for multitack, so I definitely need more CV mixing capabilities. At this point the quadra expander is a given. It's been recommended to me a hundred times. Veils too, I just keep forgetting the "boring" stuff. I know it isn't boring at all but just LOOK at ( as in: listen to) the Furthrrrr Generator. I'd jump into the fires of Mt. Doom after that thing.
Will you buy me a Furthrrrr Generator? j/k That would be fun to jam with you! I've been wanting a Furthrrrr Generator for the longest time though, but I just can't afford it...

And I too have been thinking about putting on my own shows; I actually have a plan for more intimate, ambient modular shows on a weekly basis, just trying to figure out the best PA system to get. Doesn't have to be too powerful for large clubs or anything, since I'm planning these events in Art Galleries, but it must have excellent clarity that can handle all the frequencies of a synth. The last show I played last Friday had the worst PA system thus far...

And speaking of that performance, I was trying to hold out until I got the video of it, but the people who shot the video failed miserably... So instead, here is the full audio from my Live Eurorack Modular Performance for Signal / Logic / Control at the Baker Building in Portland Oregon on April 28, 2017... using modules from Make Noise, Mutable Instruments, 4ms Company, XAOC Devices, Intellijel Designs Inc., Erica Synths, and Tom Whitwell's Radio Music modules.

11
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump