The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th April 2017
  #3301
Gear Maniac
 

Here tis, awaiting Australian plug...its like my Digiwaspscidcoast.

You know how I said I wouldn't buy any more? I hate you smug beehives... Doepfer Sem filter, another Power Lunch en route. It's perfectly ok, its...two mini systems.

Anyone recommend clock/divider? I'm determined to cram a lot in...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-20170429_163845.jpg  
2
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3302
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So as much as I love sequencing on my Octatrack and as useful as having my modular synced to a DAW I am missing the old days of the smaller case, when I was making all "in the case" productions. Plus the combined rigs would be way too much to take out of the house the way it is now. I'd like to get the box back to "standalone" status again.

In the past, the idea was that I would hold off on buying "control" and sequencer type modules until I got the base case. The base case is a long way off, and I'm not convinced I'll ever want to grow my system that big. My GAS for modules has deflated proportionate to my experience with the format, as in more focused purchases, no "I'll get the better one later" mentality etc.

After going back and forth with @fiddlestickz's game of "next three modules" I realized I didn't know what I really wanted. I have a few ideas about voices I might pick up in the future (Freak, Atlantis) but I basically figured out I need a sequencer. A sequencer to be the "brains" of the operation the way I use my OT and my DAW. A couple of main features I am looking for-

1. Enter notes live from my QuNexus.

2. More than one track, hopefully at least 4 but 8 wouldn't kill me either.

3. Ease of use- Obviously it would have some sort of display but I would prefer as little menu diving as possible.

4. Straightforward "normal" sequencing. Weirdo sequencers are awesome but I need a "main brain" more as I have a Turing Machine, Grids, and Peaks to do weird stuff already.

5. Must be a Eurorack module. Non-negotiable. I already have sufficient sequencing outside of the case.

6. No budget limit (within reason), 114 hp free right now.

If there is anything out there that behaves like an Elektron that vaguely fits that description it would pretty much win. If there is anyone out there who can build me an Elektron Euromachine (octatrack sequencing in a module) I would pay dearly.

Help me get back in the case!
That Winter Modular Eloquencer a few pages back looks like a pretty good option.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3303
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Hi all. I'm starting to look into Eurorack stuff, but I find the whole thing mighty confusing.

What it is, is that, at the moment, there are only one or two sequencer modules that interest me. So, instead of buying a case that'll be expensive and mostly empty, I wanted to do what the Mylarmelodies guy does and build a makeshift case (he used cardboard, I'd probably use perspex) for each module as and when I get it, which would be one at a time, and at the rate I buy equipment it might be more than a year between buying bits, you see.

So, the question then is, how to power my one or two modules. Could I use something like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4940...FQ0R0wodOWwB2g

... and just have that sat out of the way somewhere and simply wire modules to it? Or is this solution to my dilemma typically too good to be true?
if you are going to do it on the cheap just get a happy ending kit and a couple of modules and start that way..
Old 30th April 2017
  #3304
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So as much as I love sequencing on my Octatrack and as useful as having my modular synced to a DAW I am missing the old days of the smaller case, when I was making all "in the case" productions. Plus the combined rigs would be way too much to take out of the house the way it is now. I'd like to get the box back to "standalone" status again.

In the past, the idea was that I would hold off on buying "control" and sequencer type modules until I got the base case. The base case is a long way off, and I'm not convinced I'll ever want to grow my system that big. My GAS for modules has deflated proportionate to my experience with the format, as in more focused purchases, no "I'll get the better one later" mentality etc.

After going back and forth with @fiddlestickz's game of "next three modules" I realized I didn't know what I really wanted. I have a few ideas about voices I might pick up in the future (Freak, Atlantis) but I basically figured out I need a sequencer. A sequencer to be the "brains" of the operation the way I use my OT and my DAW. A couple of main features I am looking for-

1. Enter notes live from my QuNexus.

2. More than one track, hopefully at least 4 but 8 wouldn't kill me either.

3. Ease of use- Obviously it would have some sort of display but I would prefer as little menu diving as possible.

4. Straightforward "normal" sequencing. Weirdo sequencers are awesome but I need a "main brain" more as I have a Turing Machine, Grids, and Peaks to do weird stuff already.

5. Must be a Eurorack module. Non-negotiable. I already have sufficient sequencing outside of the case.

6. No budget limit (within reason), 114 hp free right now.

If there is anything out there that behaves like an Elektron that vaguely fits that description it would pretty much win. If there is anyone out there who can build me an Elektron Euromachine (octatrack sequencing in a module) I would pay dearly.

Help me get back in the case!
Although I'm really starting to grow tired of step/trigger/gate sequencers, others may not be so I will recommend Metropolis and Tip Top circadian Rhythms, but lets not forget we can have many sequencers ina euro system, each only needs a clock to tell it what to do, in effect we could have 4 or 5 sequencers all dancing away to different clock pulses triggering different modules..

I'm on the search for something more organic with sequencing, I want to be able to play the notes by hand and have them loop over and then adjust as I play again..
Old 30th April 2017
  #3305
Lives for gear
 

I'm in love with my STILLSON HAMMER MARK II sequencer. super organic and easy to use, 4 tracks of 16steps. clock divide on each track... gate length.
1
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That Winter Modular Eloquencer a few pages back looks like a pretty good option.
WOW. Ask and ye shall receive! this thing ticks all the boxes. I hadn't quite gotten to this vid yet between sonicstate, DivKid and all the others. Sold out for now but that's ok since I have no money until I sell something...like a kidney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Although I'm really starting to grow tired of step/trigger/gate sequencers, others may not be so I will recommend Metropolis and Tip Top circadian Rhythms, but lets not forget we can have many sequencers ina euro system, each only needs a clock to tell it what to do, in effect we could have 4 or 5 sequencers all dancing away to different clock pulses triggering different modules..

I'm on the search for something more organic with sequencing, I want to be able to play the notes by hand and have them loop over and then adjust as I play again..
Those 2 sequencers you suggest are very nice but not really what I am looking for. CR looks like you'd need a degree in cryptology to work it and Metropolis is only one track right? I want to essentially "replace" my Octatrack as the main sequencer for my modular, so I need roughly the same workflow and capabilites it had to adequately achieve this. I have a bunch of little individual sequencers, I find those are better suited for modulation or random stuff rather than melodic/song things I want to be able to recall quickly for a live situation.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3307
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I'm in love with my STILLSON HAMMER MARK II sequencer. super organic and easy to use, 4 tracks of 16steps. clock divide on each track... gate length.
That thing has always looked awesome to me but something about it has scared me off of buying it. Can you record notes into it live? Does it chain/song?
Old 30th April 2017
  #3308
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Although I'm really starting to grow tired of step/trigger/gate sequencers, others may not be so I will recommend Metropolis and Tip Top circadian Rhythms, but lets not forget we can have many sequencers ina euro system, each only needs a clock to tell it what to do, in effect we could have 4 or 5 sequencers all dancing away to different clock pulses triggering different modules..

I'm on the search for something more organic with sequencing, I want to be able to play the notes by hand and have them loop over and then adjust as I play again..
Stepper Acid man. It's great for playing notes by hand, looping, or even combining multiple sequences, and adjusting on the fly. Plus it's got accent and slide, which seems right up your boat.

And don't forget sequencers sequencing other sequencers. Play one sequencer loop, and have another at a multiple, or better yet a division of the main sequencer, then combine the CV outs via a precision adder.
2
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3309
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
That thing has always looked awesome to me but something about it has scared me off of buying it. Can you record notes into it live? Does it chain/song?
no. only sliders for input (but you can set the range and quantize them to different scales for quick input)

with budget not an issue, get a dave smith Pro-2 and mod like so it satisfies your 'must be eurorack and self contained"... if you want to record notes into it via keys, how can it be self contained?
anyhow this could be cool:
3
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3310
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Disregard: It's another one of those cases where after I did my big rearranging thing last year, it got plugged in backwards because of a lack of red stripe labeling. It sounds fine. Buy it, dude.
Okay good, because that demo really blew me away. It seemed far out but since I have other options for more "traditional" disto and fuzz I thought it would be perfect. Paired with a Piston Honda...just imagine the anger! And I don't know if you've seen it but the Dwarfcraft guy is just generally awesome, his demo videos are funny and cool.


Here is our latest joint. AJH Minimod configurations on the vocals and "horns". Avalon on the bass (not your typical Avalon sound) and accents. Though the excellent guitars (not me) are really what make it.
2
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3311
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Stepper Acid man. It's great for playing notes by hand, looping, or even combining multiple sequences, and adjusting on the fly. Plus it's got accent and slide, which seems right up your boat.

And don't forget sequencers sequencing other sequencers. Play one sequencer loop, and have another at a multiple, or better yet a division of the main sequencer, then combine the CV outs via a precision adder.
I'm looking at Stepper acid, have watched the demos before, no where can I see where you can play notes in by hand so some are longer than others, I want to be able to play notes into a sequencer by hand via cv/gate keyboard and have the sequencer record those notes and replay them back to me..
Old 30th April 2017
  #3312
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm looking at Stepper acid, have watched the demos before, no where can I see where you can play notes in by hand so some are longer than others, I want to be able to play notes into a sequencer by hand via cv/gate keyboard and have the sequencer record those notes and replay them back to me..
Ah, I didn't catch the fact you want to tie notes together. No, you unfortunately can't do that with Stepper Acid.

I'm guessing you can with some of the more menu-divey options out there, but then you lose the immediacy.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3313
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Ah, I didn't catch the fact you want to tie notes together. No, you unfortunately can't do that with Stepper Acid.

I'm guessing you can with some of the more menu-divey options out there, but then you lose the immediacy.
I can do it with a DAW and send notes out via MIDI/USB to cv/gate, & I will likely have to resort to that, but I want a euro solution, sometimes I like to jam without DAW open.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3314
Lives for gear
 
BenDayho's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
no. only sliders for input (but you can set the range and quantize them to different scales for quick input)

with budget not an issue, get a dave smith Pro-2 and mod like so it satisfies your 'must be eurorack and self contained"... if you want to record notes into it via keys, how can it be self contained?
anyhow this could be cool:
mind blown.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3315
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm looking at Stepper acid, have watched the demos before, no where can I see where you can play notes in by hand so some are longer than others, I want to be able to play notes into a sequencer by hand via cv/gate keyboard and have the sequencer record those notes and replay them back to me..
Why don't you just use your Sh101 sequencer?

It's exactly what you are describing!

Perhaps consider the Tubbutec upgrade to get memory slots for it....
1
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3316
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Why don't you just use your Sh101 sequencer?

It's exactly what you are describing!

Perhaps consider the Tubbutec upgrade to get memory slots for it....

101 sequencer doesn't record your note lengths..
Old 30th April 2017
  #3317
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm not an expert on DIY solutions or Meanwell supplies, but I know they're reputed to be very good. With that, you will need to make sure to get a busboard to go with it, so keep that in mind.
Okay cool, yeah. I was just looking at some flying busboards. Prices start at about 7 quid. Better than the 100-odd of the other solutions.

Add another few quid for connections and wiring and I should be able to get set up with everything I need for less than 50.

All I'm after is the metropolis and then the stillson hammer when I eventually get a vermona performer CV. Probably won't ever want or need anything else from the eurorack world as a whole system isn't really my cup of tea. I really wish they'd release those two items as standalone units (with midi!) Unlikely though.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3318
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I've found a solution to my sequencer woes, will come back at a later date and see how it all works out..
Old 30th April 2017
  #3319
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
101 sequencer doesn't record your note lengths..
Aren't there rests and ties? I haven't used mine for a bit... I could do down and have a look but this sofa is rather comfy...
Old 30th April 2017
  #3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
here's a quick little poll question for readers of this thread..

what are the next 3 modules you intend to buy and put in your system and why..?

I'll start..

1: Morphagene is on it's way to me should be here Friday, for sound mangling purely, I have installed ears right next to it for that purpose.
2: Synthrotek MIDI/USB cv/gate clock module, because it helps me put the macbook into the system as an instrument.
3: Tonestar 2 the Juno one, because it sounds freaking unreal..
Ok I think I am ready to play! After a few days of watching Superbooth vids I am thinking these 3--


Since watching this video I have had insane gas for the Furthrrrr Generator. It will be mine. Probably not the only module by this company I'll get either, I really like their philosophy and designs.


This thing ticks literally ALL the boxes for being the main brain of my self-contained system. Thanks to @void23 for pointing it out. I actually watched that vid when it came out but it was like 4 am and I was bingewatching them as they were appearing on my feed.

And this one has been on my radar for a while but I hadn't decided until recently that it's right for me-

It really is the perfect compliment for my Neuron. I really dig this company's build quality/aesthetic as well.

So there's my 3. Big modules, big price tags, big GAS, and no money. Damn it feels good to be a gearslut.
1
Share
Old 30th April 2017
  #3321
Lives for gear
 

@slaughtrhaus, have you looked at the Audio Damage Sequencer 1? It's very much based on the Analog Four's sequencer IIRC.
Old 30th April 2017
  #3322
Lives for gear
 

rainmaker? i want things I can't do in my computer.
anyone here spend time with one?
Old 1st May 2017
  #3323
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Aren't there rests and ties? I haven't used mine for a bit... I could do down and have a look but this sofa is rather comfy...
it's not the same as capturing a performance by hand, there are rests and ties on a 303 sequencer but that never sounds like a played in by hand line, no I want to play lines that are my own and some notes short and ghosting and some long and decaying, I've found what I need to do it, now to just get it and use it.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3324
Another quick exploration of the Make Noise Morphagene. The sound sources are two samples I composed and loaded into two Radio Music Modules. Morphagene is going into the 4MS Dual Looping Delay and then into Mutable Instruments Clouds. Modulation provided by the Make Noise Richter Wogglebug and the Xaoc Devices Batumi.

6
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3325
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Another quick exploration of the Make Noise Morphagene. The sound sources are two samples I composed and loaded into two Radio Music Modules. Morphagene is going into the 4MS Dual Looping Delay and then into Mutable Instruments Clouds. Modulation provided by the Make Noise Richter Wogglebug and the Xaoc Devices Batumi.

That was fantastic...next level dude. Loved every minute of it.

When I was watching, I couldn't help but think of a really talented female vocalist friend of mine who lives in Olympia, WA who I think you'd jive with musically. If you're interested, let me know and I'll make the connection.
2
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3326
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
here's a quick little poll question for readers of this thread..

what are the next 3 modules you intend to buy and put in your system and why..?
Im still lacking a conceptual idea for my Eurorack, hence i focus to expand my semimodulars. So additional modulation and control it is for the moment:

1. Voltage Block, i was looking for a simple8-step CV sequencer, when i stumbled upon it. Seems such a complete module for the CV modulation task. Even has a Quantizer and many other things.

2. For this i am still undecided between Intellijel Quadra and Doepfer Complex Env/LFO. Any tipps and hints are welcome.

3. I was looking for a Ladder filter option. AJH and M32 were on my list. But now i am going to wait for the Behringer D. Although it has quite rudimentary patch options, its enough to use it as filter and i'd get an extra synth voice. Because its rather cheap i consider to tinker more patch options in myself, if the PCB layout permits.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3327
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Okay cool, yeah. I was just looking at some flying busboards. Prices start at about 7 quid. Better than the 100-odd of the other solutions.

Add another few quid for connections and wiring and I should be able to get set up with everything I need for less than 50.

All I'm after is the metropolis and then the stillson hammer when I eventually get a vermona performer CV. Probably won't ever want or need anything else from the eurorack world as a whole system isn't really my cup of tea. I really wish they'd release those two items as standalone units (with midi!) Unlikely though.
If you want a good cheap midi to CV module CVpal is good. BSP is also a good solution and nice controller.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3328
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
Old 1st May 2017
  #3329
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
this is something I have no patience or tolerance for anymore, life is too short to be pissin' around with wonky unstable poor tracking analog oscillators, I got rid of most of mine that are a pain to tune and now only want to use either digital, samples, or DCO's or analog oscillators that are known to be super stable and track properly..
1
Share
Old 1st May 2017
  #3330
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you tune your oscillators? I realised after doing a track last week that the oscillators were out of tune and I needed to do this. So yesterday I grabbed my phone app Guitar Tuna to do the job. Not ideal but works and will look for another little generic tuner.
The Peterson tuner app is like $10.00. Last tuner you'll ever need to buy (until the platform dies I guess).
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump