The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

God help us all...

...Perfect Circuit now accepts Affirm. My finances are so doomed...
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

First non-Eurorack purchase in a while:

Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
God help us all...

...Perfect Circuit now accepts Affirm. My finances are so doomed...
Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
Dude dude dude! If you're looking at bit/sample manglers, you owe it to yourself to look at one of these:

The Biscuit was the best bit crusher I ever had, but this is a damn close second. You can't turn bits on and off like you can on the Biscuit, but having sixteen different sample mangling algorithms makes up for it and then some. I know Doepfer is usually the king of utilities and basic modules, but this is one that I think they outdid the competition.
Thanks for your recommendation Derp … will try them side by side if i am a bit lucky …

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

man it's killing me waiting to save up for that 8106 module...the only thing is I doubt metropolis is going to be suitable sequencer for it, that module needs to be played by hand, the keystep will likely be the one I use to play that thing..
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
man it's killing me waiting to save up for that 8106 module...the only thing is I doubt metropolis is going to be suitable sequencer for it, that module needs to be played by hand, the keystep will likely be the one I use to play that thing..
Any thoughts on just getting the filter alone ? Wonder if you'd get into the same sonic territory putting the tonestar through the filter ????
It would save money and rack space.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Experimenting tonight with using Ripples as an oscillator, receiving amplitude modulation from the Batumi and FM from the Benjolin: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTdNDuEA...recycledcities
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Any thoughts on just getting the filter alone ? Wonder if you'd get into the same sonic territory putting the tonestar through the filter ????
makes sense especially considering that the only difference in the self contained is the filter. I'd rather have the arp version as self contained + 8106 filter. But then again, I already own a 106, whose real charm is its interface and sweet spot / simplicity.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm off to spend the weekend with the Druids/Pagans to celebrate "Beltane", I'm taking my drone commander, their such peaceful and spiritual people I hope the ammunition case doesn't cause offence, I'm sure a few spliffs will iron out any concerns
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Looks more something I'd want to have separately tbh, I'm not a fan of patching through full voice modules to access the filter, it never seems to sound the same..
Old 29th April 2017
Quote:
Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

I really REALLY liked how that 8106 sounded. Count me surprised. Smooth and deep.

They are developing a standalone filter module I've been buying seperate modules only, never a combination module, but this is the first one I'm considering it. It just matches up very nicely.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
They are developing a standalone filter module .
Its already outhere to purchase
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

I mentioned yesterday that I was thinking about buying the Bastl Cinnamon and/or Xaoc Belgrad...and because I have no willpower, I bought both.

I was having a little buyers remorse, and then I watched this video that I'd somehow missed on the Belgrad:

I'm no longer feeling any regrets. As much as I wanted to hold out for the Three Sisters, the Belgrad covers crazy territory while having more character than something like the Polaris, and the Cinnamon is just gnarly in all the right ways for me. The more I look at what they can do and how right they're going to be for both my own work and with restarting the experimental/noise project with my drummer friend the more excited I am.

It also has me rethinking my plans a bit more for a weirder hybrid approach, buying interesting analog filters that can be used as oscillators over more traditional oscs and instead looking more at envelope followers and weird modules to connect to the outside world (I'm really enamoured recently with the Koma Field Kit, MI Ears, the different Bastl modules that use motors, drum pads, etc), and going nuts on Expert Sleepers modules to integrate my Pyramid and software...the deeper I dive into the modular rabbit hole, the more I'm liking an idea of approaching it as an open playing field where you can play loose with the rules, and the more I'm exploring the possibilities the more I want to explore how left field it can get while still being musically versatile and integrated with the rest of my studio for various goals, approaching modular less from a synthesis perspective and more as a sandbox for sound design.
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

I've said this before but I wish there was more modules in euro that dealt with high quality processing, like imagine 500 series stuff in euro, you could build cases just for processing, high end eq and compression etc, be awesome..
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

O&C Panel/PCBs turned up this morning.
So just ordered 2 Teensy 3.2's from OSH Park ($37) and 2 LCD screens off Ebay (£8.14)
Think ill build them both together (rather than one at a time) to speed up the process.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
First non-Eurorack purchase in a while:

How dare you, 4U traitor
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I mentioned yesterday that I was thinking about buying the Bastl Cinnamon and/or Xaoc Belgrad...and because I have no willpower, I bought both.

I was having a little buyers remorse, and then I watched this video that I'd somehow missed on the Belgrad:

I'm no longer feeling any regrets. As much as I wanted to hold out for the Three Sisters, the Belgrad covers crazy territory while having more character than something like the Polaris, and the Cinnamon is just gnarly in all the right ways for me. The more I look at what they can do and how right they're going to be for both my own work and with restarting the experimental/noise project with my drummer friend the more excited I am.

It also has me rethinking my plans a bit more for a weirder hybrid approach, buying interesting analog filters that can be used as oscillators over more traditional oscs and instead looking more at envelope followers and weird modules to connect to the outside world (I'm really enamoured recently with the Koma Field Kit, MI Ears, the different Bastl modules that use motors, drum pads, etc), and going nuts on Expert Sleepers modules to integrate my Pyramid and software...the deeper I dive into the modular rabbit hole, the more I'm liking an idea of approaching it as an open playing field where you can play loose with the rules, and the more I'm exploring the possibilities the more I want to explore how left field it can get while still being musically versatile and integrated with the rest of my studio for various goals, approaching modular less from a synthesis perspective and more as a sandbox for sound design.
I think the Belgrad sounds fantastic. I have Three Sisters, and haven't picked up the Belgrad because of that - I know they're a bit different. But I've been impressed with the gnarl possible on the Belgrad. I think the Three Sisters, while a very interesting and functional filter is a fantastic filter - it doesn't seem to have the umph that I've heard in the Belgrad.

So kudos on the buy both approach.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

I was just looking at the Atlantis at my local store which was £525 in March, I held off my GAS on this, but now I have just looked the price has gone up to £602. That is a ridiculous price increase. I don't think this is Brexit related thing, it seems manufacturers are just putting up prices for the sake of it.

Intellijel Atlantis Dual Oscillator Subtractive Synth Voice | DV247
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I was just looking at the Atlantis at my local store which was £525 in March, I held off my GAS on this, but now I have just looked the price has gone up to £602. That is a ridiculous price increase. I don't think this is Brexit related thing, it seems manufacturers are just putting up prices for the sake of it.

Wow this is crazy, some shops even have it at £650.
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

it's a great synth, the sub osc really makes it sound vintagey, and the filter is juicy as hell, if it helps when I bought mine it cost me close to $800 but it's a lifetime keeper module, I use it on everything, the amount of cross patching and control outs is really cool..
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Hi all. I'm starting to look into Eurorack stuff, but I find the whole thing mighty confusing.

What it is, is that, at the moment, there are only one or two sequencer modules that interest me. So, instead of buying a case that'll be expensive and mostly empty, I wanted to do what the Mylarmelodies guy does and build a makeshift case (he used cardboard, I'd probably use perspex) for each module as and when I get it, which would be one at a time, and at the rate I buy equipment it might be more than a year between buying bits, you see.

So, the question then is, how to power my one or two modules. Could I use something like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4940...FQ0R0wodOWwB2g

... and just have that sat out of the way somewhere and simply wire modules to it? Or is this solution to my dilemma typically too good to be true?
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I really REALLY liked how that 8106 sounded. Count me surprised. Smooth and deep.

They are developing a standalone filter module I've been buying seperate modules only, never a combination module, but this is the first one I'm considering it. It just matches up very nicely.
I'm a fan of voice modules for when you need simple stuff mostly, but I also like the fact that they can be parted out as needed. Like the Pitts Synth Box actually sounds kinda crappy as a voice, but I like breaking out the oscillator and the LFO from it. I thought about just getting the filter module as well since it has more CV control, but my experience with SE's oscillators in Boomstar, SE-1, and ATC-1 is that they're stellar. I'll be surprised if it's not at least as ballsy as my ASol oscillator. Plus I never seem to have enough LFO's or envelopes lately, so it's a lot of parts I need in one module. Plus I'm really excited to be putting the Tonestar 8106 through that 106 Chorus as that's the whole reason I bought it was to put the 8106 through it.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
(I'm really enamoured recently with the Koma Field Kit)
I'm getting kind excited for that sort of approach myself. I was thinking about to buy one of these, but I think what I'm going to do is after I buy the house and have the room for a small workshop, I'm going to build one instead and make it something like a crossover between the Sonic Forest, Blackfly, and that thing that got announced at Superbooth that has the sandpaper. Plus if I can figure out how to do it, I'd love to have something like a kalimba on it, but much easier to tune.

Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post

I was watching a Superbooth video recently where they were talking about how much this set of modules is going to be costing (I'm not calling out the company here because I don't think it's their fault), and he starts naming off 250 GBP for this and 525 GBP for that, and I realized that the figures are the exact same figures that they're selling them for in USD in the states. Feeling really bad for you modular cats over their lately because the GBP and the USD are totally not equivalent right now.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Hi all. I'm starting to look into Eurorack stuff, but I find the whole thing mighty confusing.

What it is, is that, at the moment, there are only one or two sequencer modules that interest me. So, instead of buying a case that'll be expensive and mostly empty, I wanted to do what the Mylarmelodies guy does and build a makeshift case (he used cardboard, I'd probably use perspex) for each module as and when I get it, which would be one at a time, and at the rate I buy equipment it might be more than a year between buying bits, you see.

So, the question then is, how to power my one or two modules. Could I use something like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4940...FQ0R0wodOWwB2g

... and just have that sat out of the way somewhere and simply wire modules to it? Or is this solution to my dilemma typically too good to be true?
I'm not an expert on DIY solutions or Meanwell supplies, but I know they're reputed to be very good. With that, you will need to make sure to get a busboard to go with it, so keep that in mind. If you just want a straightforward and trouble-free solution, TipTop uZeus's are great for starting small and growing up with by trading out the wallwart for something juicier. I've had stable power for upwards of five rows before, but really I'd recommend one uZeus per three rows. Plus it comes with flying busboards already and if you need more, daisychaining more is very much hassle-free.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Good to know thanks. I already have a Rat in pedal form; I was looking for something kind of out of control and capable of real ugliness. I'm not that interested in 'traditional' disto/fuzz, I have plenty of those I think. The videos of the pedal and the module all seemed to indicate that kind of cruel, unhinged vibe. But I'll have to watch more carefully, thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Maybe something is wrong with mine because now that you mention it, I remember the demos sou.dead really gnarly and mine has never sounded like that.
Disregard: It's another one of those cases where after I did my big rearranging thing last year, it got plugged in backwards because of a lack of red stripe labeling. It sounds fine. Buy it, dude.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was watching a Superbooth video recently where they were talking about how much this set of modules is going to be costing (I'm not calling out the company here because I don't think it's their fault), and he starts naming off 250 GBP for this and 525 GBP for that, and I realized that the figures are the exact same figures that they're selling them for in USD in the states. Feeling really bad for you modular cats over their lately because the GBP and the USD are totally not equivalent right now.
The GBP prices include the +20% tax (us prices never include tax which is added depending on the state you're in). The exchange rate is at 1.30 (on xe.com today), but you always finding yourself paying an extra 5% (I know I do on my cc or through paypal), then account for the over seas shipping they need to pay & it's not the worst cross. It's just what things cost.

Behringer deepmind is 999$ USD, but here in canada it's 1500$ (plus tax). The exchange rate is 1.32... Why not just order it from the states? For something like this they're banking on buyers needing the warranty - which is easier to deal with locally.... Good thing I don't want a deepmind.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post

You could use that, but you'd still need busboard(s) as Derp mentioned, as well as connections from the power supply to the busboards. Additionally, you'd need to connect the supply to your plugs. You'd have to know a bit about electricity, etc to get the proper cables, etc. Not overly, so, but I always err on the cautious side when it comes to things like burning down my house or potentially killing myself.

Personally, I'd probably go with a more standard route like the Happy Ending Kit, 4ms stuff, Doepfer, etc.

BTW, there are also a few smaller DIY options as well if you are comfortable working with power and soldering. Frequency Central is one that I'm aware of for smaller setups.
Old 29th April 2017
Sequencer options???

So as much as I love sequencing on my Octatrack and as useful as having my modular synced to a DAW I am missing the old days of the smaller case, when I was making all "in the case" productions. Plus the combined rigs would be way too much to take out of the house the way it is now. I'd like to get the box back to "standalone" status again.

In the past, the idea was that I would hold off on buying "control" and sequencer type modules until I got the base case. The base case is a long way off, and I'm not convinced I'll ever want to grow my system that big. My GAS for modules has deflated proportionate to my experience with the format, as in more focused purchases, no "I'll get the better one later" mentality etc.

After going back and forth with @fiddlestickz's game of "next three modules" I realized I didn't know what I really wanted. I have a few ideas about voices I might pick up in the future (Freak, Atlantis) but I basically figured out I need a sequencer. A sequencer to be the "brains" of the operation the way I use my OT and my DAW. A couple of main features I am looking for-

1. Enter notes live from my QuNexus.

2. More than one track, hopefully at least 4 but 8 wouldn't kill me either.

3. Ease of use- Obviously it would have some sort of display but I would prefer as little menu diving as possible.

4. Straightforward "normal" sequencing. Weirdo sequencers are awesome but I need a "main brain" more as I have a Turing Machine, Grids, and Peaks to do weird stuff already.

5. Must be a Eurorack module. Non-negotiable. I already have sufficient sequencing outside of the case.

6. No budget limit (within reason), 114 hp free right now.

If there is anything out there that behaves like an Elektron that vaguely fits that description it would pretty much win. If there is anyone out there who can build me an Elektron Euromachine (octatrack sequencing in a module) I would pay dearly.

Help me get back in the case!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search